What's new

General/Other The Ask Rain Thread

can sound stupid but y using a string and do the Enh RH cancel into another string and start a combo is a bad idea using it in a match ? cause i tought that the RH cancel was one of the greatest advantage of rain ?

Kuai Liang

Tundra
Because you would have to have to hit confirm that you're 4 3 landed and EX Roundhouse cancel. Not to mention it's pretty strict to pull off. If you think you can pull that off consistently go for it. I would rather stick with what works and is guaranteed. Yeah, RH cancel is great for rain but that is different than doing the 43, EX RH cancel, 43 combo. I would use his RH cancel for other things, like dashing in throwing, or doing 43 RH again.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
The round house cancel is weak to crossups, as soon as you see the move being canceled you get a free jump in any direction you feel like. Which is why I was suprised CD JR got away with it that much

The round house cancel is weak to crossups, as soon as you see the move being canceled you get a free jump in any direction you feel like. Which is why I was suprised CD JR got away with it that much
You didn't see it because Eric Warda tried to pull that crap once and got full combo'd that's why you didn't see it.

Sasuga

Noob
yeah, its a good crossup. you can cancel it (by dashing or lightning/bubble/whatever), or just let it go. if you opponent tries to jump or counter, he eats rain heel.

Some1 have any tips for landing the uppercut into a combo and to do the EX RH cancel into another string ?
For the uppercut combo, do this one to start with, as it's by far the easiest:
(4, 3, bubble*, uppercut**, dash***, 4****, 3, lightning, dash, roundhouse, 4, 3, spray) = 47%
Notes:
*Place the bubble at the highest point of the screen, directly above and slightly behind Rain's head.
**You can't watch the bubble pop as a cue to uppercut. You have to time the uppercut to come out just after it does, which means inputting the command AS it pops. You also need the uppercut to knock them BEHIND you (which is dependent on bubble positioning).
***You'll be dashing the opposite of the direction you were facing when you hit the uppercut, and you have to pause slightly beforehand to let the uppercut recovery finish.
****You actually need to delay the 4,3 after the dash ever so slightly longer than you might think so they fall to the right height.

As for the ex RH cancel into another string, it depends. If you want to do it on block, it's pretty straightforward. Just throw a block string, do ex RH, hold the button down, dash, and do another string. If you want to do it as a combo on a grounded opponent, here are my tips:
1. Don't. Seriously, it's rarely worth spending the meter for the damage you'll get out of doing this. However, if you insist...
2. Start with (4, 3, ex RH dash cancel, 1, 2, f4) as it's by far the easiest option for this.
3. When you buffer the ex RH at the end of the 4, 3, IMMEDIATELY do the double-tap forward to dash. When I say "immediately," I mean literally input it all as one motion without pause like this: :)bk :fk :d :l+:bk :r :r). If you put even the slightest pause between the ex RH command and the dash command, it won't combo and your opponent will be able to block. Also, don't forget to hold down the 4 while you input the dash. It's such a fast motion that it's easy to let that slip your mind.

That's the best I got. Good luck!

yeah you at least get a safe jump (free cross up/jump in punch) and you can do it on a 360 pad, ive done it on the analog stick, you just have to let go of 4 pretty much RIGHT after you dash out of it and immediately go into 12f4 or whatever. Its hard and wouldnt recommend doing it online at all. If you are going to do the roundhouse cancel at least get the safe jump or throw, even if you can connect the 12f4 after the combo isnt worth it cause your opponent prolly has a breaker or will build one and your better off saving your meter for exroundhouse when the opponent wakes up (can beat any wake up attack) or when your getting pressured. A good technique i havent seen alot of rains using is exploiting the armor of ex roundhouse and cancelling when you think they will attack and your invincible for a few frames like if someones going to poke you you can use the exroundhouse armor to do a 43 to go through the poke. Ex waterball is good and underused (although i seen CDjr use it a few times) but exroundhouse should trump that as your priority as rain. I think 33 is his fastest attack also so you can punish things with that and do 43 exroundhouse cancel 33~bubble etc. if you must use a exroundhouse cancel combo to look cool.

reset

Hmm I have no idea what the Bubble reset is. I'm guessing you just end the combo with a bubble, but I had no idea that was a reset.
Its not like its a real reset like cyrax has, but its more like a huge frame advantage like after a nut punch from johnny cage. anyway another advantage is that you can start strings into cancel RH to build meter I think this actually builds almost one meter if you manage to cancel 2 RH kick combos

Col

Noob
couple questions..

Been trying to pick up someone else other than Sub-Zero and am loving Rain seems he really fits into my play style.

Just wondering though.. why would I use the RH dash cancel?.. in what situation should i do that.. im new to the techincle stuff like that so to me its something i just dont understand..

another question.. what should I do after a bubble.. ive got a nice combo down, but once I bubble at the end of it I just go numb and think "k.. now what"

Apreciate it.

Hey man you can actually answer both of your questions in one. At the end of the combo put the bubble right in front of you. Fr there they can't wakeup attack and you can do the rh cancels or grab attempt.

Yes, the opponent must guess because if they try to crouch the throw or jump out the get hit by 43, if they jump 43 rh into full combo. Rain is beautiful.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
so use the RH cancel to bait them into blocking so you can get an easy grab?

sorry lol
youll have a whole lot of options after the RH cancel.. you can

continue with the pressure and cancels
b23 or d4 or b1 for low hits to condition them to block low
b21+2 for the overhead to condition them to block high
throw ( I believe the default throw is much better since it leaves the opponent in a good distance)
crossups

and when at a great distance.. You can do RH cancels to build up meter.

Uppercut after bubble into combo.

When you want to do a combo with an uppercut, where exactly do you have to place the bubble at to do the uppercut on time and the rest of the combo?

Subby

Frost Warrior
Put it...

When you want to do a combo with an uppercut, where exactly do you have to place the bubble at to do the uppercut on time and the rest of the combo?
Place it as high as you can right on Rains shoulders(A little bit behind his head) and uppercut immediatley after the bubble stops. After that just dash and proceed with 4,3 for your combo(s).

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well Since you can not only dash cancel out the round house but you can also speacial cancel would a teleport or geyser kick be a better options for mixs ups

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Well Since you can not only dash cancel out the round house but you can also speacial cancel would a teleport or geyser kick be a better options for mixs ups
IMO I all depends on the matchup and how you've mind fucked him so far. Rain is purely a mind game

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Whats the best thing to follow up after you've caught an enemy with Lightning > WaterBubble?
place above head for uppercut combos or for safe easy damage you can do 4,3, lightening or 4,3 b4 for spacing and damage

perfect world i do uppercut combo into 4,3, squirt or upkick

also you can let them drop in front of you for 12% throw or 4,3 canceling

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Can anyone help me on how to pull off that CD Jr. corner combo with Rain.

Something like 4,3,db3,4,3,db3,4,3,db3. Cant seem to do this. Thanks!

Kuai Liang

Tundra
What part are you having trouble with? Timing of the 4,3? I know sometimes I'll hit 4,3 too quick and I get a stance change and a geyser kick instead. I'll use 4,3 lightning to get it started and then 4,3 geyser........ But what I think CD Jr. does is 4,3, bubble, D2, 4,3, geyser, 4,3 geyser, 4,3, geyser.