What's new

General/Other The Ask Rain Thread

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
Explain. Playing defensive against Kitana means ducking fans for the whole round lol.

Can you word this better? Like combo starters? Pressure starters?
i guess both really just for me personally i just feel like his starters feel slow obviously im new to rain so i know its me :p

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
What are the best ways to use Rain's roundhouse cancel strings? When is a good time to use it in a fight? And lastly when is a good time to use Ex roundouse in the roundhouse cancel strings?

What are the best ways to use Rain's roundhouse cancel strings? When is a good time to use it in a fight? And lastly when is a good time to use Ex roundouse in the roundhouse cancel strings?
You use RHDC's in your pressure strings. I would use EXRH when the opponent starts to hit me out of my regular RHDC strings. Honestly though i use EXRH as my get off me/anti wake-up move.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
You use RHDC's in your pressure strings. I would use EXRH when the opponent starts to hit me out of my regular RHDC strings. Honestly though i use EXRH as my get off me/anti wake-up move.
Alright man, thanks a bunch! Helps me out lots!

Husteen

Noob.
sometimes rain's water bubble will be able to lift the opponent way above the top of your tv screen, like in this video:

but most of the time you're limited to lifting the opponent upward. lifting the opponent this high might make certain combos easier so does anyone know how to do it? i've only done it a few times on accident.

also, my other question that never got answered, what's the most damage you can get off of an :en lightning? i do :en lightning, teleport, 4, 3, water bubble, 4, 3, water blast for a measly 28%

About the bubble, what I do is ub~b(hold). To go forward you do uf~f(hold). Really easy to do on a Hitbox.

As for EX Lightning combos ive done:

EX Lightning, Teleport, 43 Bubble, Uppercut, 43 Lightning for 33%

I don't think you can get much off of a raw Lightning.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Hitting someone off of raw lightning is great for bubble resets since the bubble is always guaranteed if they're hit. Off of the bubble you can drag them towards you and when the bubble bursts do 4, RH into 4 geyser kick or you can just do a reset into more RH cancel pressure mixups which is always great.

Husteen

Noob.
Hitting someone off of raw lightning is great for bubble resets since the bubble is always guaranteed if they're hit. Off of the bubble you can drag them towards you and when the bubble bursts do 4, RH into 4 geyser kick or you can just do a reset into more RH cancel pressure mixups which is always great.
ahh i didn't think of that. sounds like a plan!
the formula is:
if you need/want meter then do some roundhouse cancels
if you need damage/have xray then just do the combo

Husteen

Noob.
yikes. rain is still a tad difficult to use online. roundhouse block string turn into unsafe geyser kicks. geyser kicks turn into water bubbles when my opponent jump over me. :en roundhouse is soo difficult to use as a wakeup attack and his water bubble > 4, 3 combos sometimes don't connect. it was also hard to get him to teleport. or maybe it was just the connection i had with this player...
i pretty much looked like a noob except for my occasional high % combos. i've used rain against the AI a lot which is bad because the AI gives me the bad habit of jumping too much. i don't think rain should jump a lot.
i did get to use his 1 as an anti air and combo after it for the first time! it was awesome!!!
then when i switch to sindel it feels like i've been playing the game for 6 months - which i have.
offline- rain's opponent can say bye bye ^.^

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Full screen lightning combos?

Can rain experts inform me what's his largest combos after connecting full screen Lightning?

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Taken from the Q&A thread

EX Lightning, Teleport, 43,Bubble, 43, WaterBlast for 28%

Pig Of The Hut

Taken from the Q&A thread

EX Lightning, Teleport, 43,Bubble, 43, WaterBlast for 28%
Thanks for your help, what about off regular lightning? Can u teleport off that and still hit the before-mentioned?

Marcus

No problem Pig! I believe you cant catch your opponent after a regular lightning>teleport.

What you can do after a regular lightning full screen is water bubble then 43,waterblast if you want to extend a combo.

Pig Of The Hut

No problem Pig! I believe you cant catch your opponent after a regular lightning>teleport.

What you can do after a regular lightning full screen is water bubble then 43,waterblast if you want to extend a combo.
cool thats what ive been doing but was hoping for a magical 35-40% somewhere lol :)

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
i have a question i been trying to work on rains dash rh cancel pressure and sometimes i feel like im not able to do it fast enough , mainly starting with rh dash 3,4 rh dash 3,4 trying to do that as fast as i can. is it a practice issue or are the rh dash cancels meant to be used sparringly not back to back like kabal?

BookBurning

Voidwards
Yeah I actually prefer just standard lightning into water bubble, 4 RH 43 waterblast as well; I mean it takes no meter plus does decent enough damage in comparison to anything you can do with EX Lightning, I'd rather save my bar for EX RHs or breaker. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of throwing out EX Lightning and I only tend to do it if I think it's going to catch my opponent off guard and they'll release block or of course for the chip damage.

BookBurning

Voidwards
i have a question i been trying to work on rains dash rh cancel pressure and sometimes i feel like im not able to do it fast enough , mainly starting with rh dash 3,4 rh dash 3,4 trying to do that as fast as i can. is it a practice issue or are the rh dash cancels meant to be used sparringly not back to back like kabal?
They're not exactly meant to be used sparingly because alot of times they make strings much more safe but it's normally a bad idea to go apeshit with them against a solid player. I'm not sure what problem you're having though.

If you're having trouble dashing out of the RH and instead find yourself accidentally releasing it then you're probably dashing too early and need to just wait a bit before dashing out of it.

On the other hand if the RH isn't even coming out to cancel out of, then that's just an execution problem. Really the only thing to fix that sort of problem is just practice honestly.

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
They're not exactly meant to be used sparingly because alot of times they make strings much more safe but it's normally a bad idea to go apeshit with them against a solid player. I'm not sure what problem you're having though.

If you're having trouble dashing out of the RH and instead find yourself accidentally releasing it then you're probably dashing too early and need to just wait a bit before dashing out of it.

On the other hand if the RH isn't even coming out to cancel out of, then that's just an execution problem. Really the only thing to fix that sort of problem is just practice honestly.
i guess its probably an execution problem but i mean what cd jr did for example in this vid in 1:05 on i cant do it back to back and i dunno why

http://youtu.be/DP6BfYjnQmY

Marcus

Im assuming you're talking about the 43,RH cancel, 43, RH cancel, 43, RH cancel. Yea, its just practice. You cant really dash right away to cancel the RH. There's a certain wait time and when you get that timing down, all will be beautiful. Just hit the lab and practice and practice.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Markus. What the trick to be able to make an upercut combot right after the bubble ? I mean, what are you focusing before making the upercut ? I have not 100% succeed which isn't the case with the storm first and that's why I'm asking you.

Another question, why people don't use that much water-splash ? Can it be more useful against some characters ?

BookBurning

Voidwards
Markus. What the trick to be able to make an upercut combot right after the bubble ? I mean, what are you focusing before making the upercut ? I have not 100% succeed which isn't the case with the storm first and that's why I'm asking you.

Another question, why people don't use that much water-splash ? Can it be more useful against some characters ?
When you do 43 waterbubble, you'll notice that while holding the waterbubbled character Rain will be leaning forward. What you want to do is position the character so they are just a small small bit behind Rain's head towards his back. I can't stress small, just a bit behind his head is where you want it. Make sure the bubble is as high in the air as it can go and when it pops, uppercut, then dash towards them, 43 lightning, RH, 43 aqua splash. It takes practice but is easy once you get used to it. (Without lag.)

For the lightning one, when you lightning them just dash under them, wait a milisecond, like hardly no time at all and uppercut then 43 waterbubble into mixups or 43 aqua splash.

As far as using Aqua Splash goes, I actually think it IS underused, even by myself because it allows decent spacing and can even work as an Anti Air if spaced right. The problem is that it is punishable if you don't time it correctly on whiff. But yeah I agree, I think Aqua Splash is underused.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Yeah, I'm thinking if water splash helps against stuff like CSZ divekicks, Kanon and Stryker rolls, reptile/skarlet dash. Probably, but it doesn't make that much damage. Same for the recovery, not helping for resets :\

Thx for the bubble upercut combot. I'll try to practice it (I have np for the storm first).

What about the RH into upercut combot ? ^^ Did you get it ?

You can see it on that video at 1min15, 2min, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TylerLantern#p/u/30/UIlCvVB3-7I

This look pretty good Oo;

Another thing underused imo, is the b2, RH. Just like the 3, RH, it allows you to have a very safe RH which will hit anyway if the b2 isn't blocked.
Good to know that we can tp holding the RH. Also, the RH is a very good anti-air I think.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Yeah, I'm thinking if water splash helps against stuff like CSZ divekicks, Kanon and Stryker rolls, reptile/skarlet dash. Probably, but it doesn't make that much damage. Same for the recovery, not helping for resets :\

Thx for the bubble upercut combot. I'll try to practice it (I have np for the storm first).

What about the RH into upercut combot ? ^^ Did you get it ?

You can see it on that video at 1min15, 2min, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TylerLantern#p/u/30/UIlCvVB3-7I

This look pretty good Oo;

Another thing underused imo, is the b2, RH. Just like the 3, RH, it allows you to have a very safe RH which will hit anyway if the b2 isn't blocked.
Good to know that we can tp holding the RH. Also, the RH is a very good anti-air I think.
Haven't actually experimented with that RH into uppercut combo yet but probably am going to here soon. It looks like it has a chance to be inconsistent but I'm hoping that's not the case, it looks pretty cool.

Also I use back 2 RH all the time, alot alot, but perhaps it is underused by alot of people, I'm actually not sure, I think I've seen CDJR do it as well, but not anyone else. The RH makes a mediocre AA to be honest in my opinion mostly because you basically have to be a jedi to make it work, but then again that's just me, I normally just prefer Jab anti-airs. Jab jab 43 waterbubble, etc. Or of course a solid geyser kick never hurts.