What's new

The 5 Gods of Armor

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
So I have been watching a little bit of recent MK9 tournaments at Toryuken and Season's Beating

and I have notice players who use Jax,Sonya,Rain,Kenshi,and Kabal ( for a lack of a better word)

"abuse" there enhance special move to get out of a sticky situation or punish an unexpecting

opponents.Watching these matches I begin to wonder why do their opponents, don't expect them to

use armor moves when they have 1 bar of meter. Prime example: had this Sub-zero vs. Jax and

sub-zero had jax in the corner, jax had a bar of meter, sub-zero rushed in for the kill.....what do you

think happen, jax use Ex Dash punch and the momentum had shifted.What I'm asking is why players can't see this coming???

p.s if someone has made a thread similar to this, by all means deleted this thread, just want to hear some of y'all opinions on this matter that's all :)

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
even if you see armor coming, its not always full pushable, and i think most players use there armored moves when they can already see your are attacking and therefore blow you up =)

like if a jax player sees you are just kinda hanging out, wanting for a EX punch, he isn't gonna throw it out just because he can, he is going to wait for an ice ball, or slide, or anything else

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It was because Jax's fine and firm ass distracted the player and Jax dug deep into his childhood when he was bullied as a child and let his flying punch of manliness errupt from his inner lionish psychosis into subzero's pulp face.

this is further supported by the fact subzero and smoke are lovers.

Never mind what GNG Iniquity said,my version is the truth

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Thanks for the responses guys. What I fail to understand is you are telling me that I can't take a very quick glance at my opponents meter just to see how many bars he/she has.

Lulzlou

Noob
It depends on the match up too

With the kabalvsjax MU, I always keep an eye on his meter. It definitely doesn't mean you'll read correctly all the time but it does let you know what your options are. Jax with 3 bars limits your options by far than jax with 0-1 bar.

Some characters don't have to worry about getting hit by one armor move as much as others.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It's easier said than done when you're just observing the match, if your opponent catches you in a juggle or is trying to bait you, those're times when you have ample chance to view their bar but the majority of MK matches are extremely fast paced.
This, you never know until they hit you with it.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
yea thats true but when it comes to those five chars its a pain in the ass.I think i should put Skarlet in there as well, has anyone came across any skarlets who use armor like crazy online/offline????

Altaire

Noob
So I have been watching a little bit of recent MK9 tournaments at Toryuken and Season's Beating

and I have notice players who use Jax,Sonya,Rain,Kenshi,and Kabal ( for a lack of a better word)

"abuse" there enhance special move to get out of a sticky situation or punish an unexpecting

opponents.Watching these matches I begin to wonder why do their opponents, don't expect them to

use armor moves when they have 1 bar of meter. Prime example: had this Sub-zero vs. Jax and

sub-zero had jax in the corner, jax had a bar of meter, sub-zero rushed in for the kill.....what do you

think happen, jax use Ex Dash punch and the momentum had shifted.What I'm asking is why players can't see this coming???

p.s if someone has made a thread similar to this, by all means deleted this thread, just want to hear some of y'all opinions on this matter that's all :)
It's really easy to look at high level play and wonder why people aren't blocking armored attacks, but the point is that a good player is going to use his armor when he thinks his opponent isn't expecting it. If a guy like REO was just throwing out EX nomad dash completely at random, I highly doubt he'd be as successful as he is. I don't think you're taking into consideration how risk-free safe armor is, for that matter. Quite often, you'll see Sonya's EX cartwheel get blocked in high level play, but no one notices that so much as they notice the one time that it catches an opponent off guard and leads to big damage.

On top of all that, you lose a LOT of momentum if you just sit there looking for armored attacks. If you're playing Sonya and you just sit there in block every time you expect an EX cartwheel, your opponent is going to start taking advantage of that by going into blockstring mixups or just throwing you. More often than not, you lose more ground trying to bait an armored attack than you do trying to continue pressure, so if you're going to give up an opportunity to press the offense just to look for a reversal attempt, you need to damn sure it's coming. You can't just stop and block every time you think it MIGHT be coming, you need to be 100% committed to the guess. Hell, against a character like Jax, I'd almost rather give him the 17% reversal here and than give up the momentum.

Again, it's always easy to look at high level play and say "Oh, I don't know why they're getting away with __________", but it's not so easy once you go up against a top player and try to apply these ideas. Around the time of Final Round, the entire country was baying for VSM's blood, and everyone insisted that their top players would get blown up for jumping so much. Lo and behold, no one was able to blow them up for it, and VSM took the tournament. Obviously, it wasn't as easy to expose VSM's weaknesses as everyone thought it would be. That's something to think about.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Thanks for the responses guys. What I fail to understand is you are telling me that I can't take a very quick glance at my opponents meter just to see how many bars he/she has.
It isn't quite that simple. Trust me the Subzero player was aware of the meter situation. You can't just say to yourself,"well if my opponent has meter anytime I knock him down I just wont attack him" because what happens then? Your opponent will quickly realize he doesn't actually have to use the meter to get up. The threat of it alone is enough for you to let him get up for free. You have to challenge their wakeup. Make them use that meter. They never will if you don't make them. If you blast someone as they are getting up then the next time around they might use a wakeup attack or they might use their meter, if you can make the right read you can block and punish, or at worst you've at least made them blow the meter for nothing.
Some characters like Jax though are pretty fucked up in that they can essentially get up for free anytime you get near them. Safe armor is a bitch, its one of the reasons these characters are so high on the tier list.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
and Dark_Rob thats why I called them The 5 gods of armored.They can serouly go crazy with the Ex special moves becasue its so damn safe.Example: Sonya blade can do 2 Ex cartwheel ,be blocked and still be safe from an attack....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!

Flagg

Noob
Kung Lao has awesome armour as well. If you ex teleport, and dont launch a move off the teleport, you still have a few frames of armour when you land and restart pokes and strings.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
I dont think Kabal or Sonya really need to be in this. There aror isnt nearly as good as the other 3's, and they only have 1 (good) armored move. Skarletmight be in here though. Her armor is sick and leads to full combo and mix up.

Dark_Rob

Noob
and Dark_Rob thats why I called them The 5 gods of armored.They can serouly go crazy with the Ex special moves becasue its so damn safe.Example: Sonya blade can do 2 Ex cartwheel ,be blocked and still be safe from an attack....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!
Like I said,thus why they are so high on the tier list. Nevertheless, you still have to challenge them to use that meter. What else can you do? Sit there and hold block the whole round and let them chip you and throw you to death out of fear of an armor attack? Granted the game has changed alot since I played it seriously but that doesn't sound like a great formula for victory to me.