What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Just saw a twitter conversation and someone said Tekken is a game where buttonmashing scrubs have beaten veterans . . . There is no way I could believe that with how prior T7 tekken played. There is just way too many non casual ways to get bopped.

But has there been a case where someone who clearly looked like they didn't play Tekken at a high level still manage to make a decent showing in a tourney?
From the matches I have seen, that has never happened. They probably got that confused with Revolution.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
LOL damn I feel disrespected for you just from reading that.

What about Katarina? I thought she had a more realistic fighting style. I don't know if they officially gave her one like they did Josie. Just read Leo practices a chinese martial art . . . Does Germany have any fighting styles???

Oh and I liked Bob and Miguel's made up fighting styles. Bob felt like a cheesy kung fu movie with all those flips. It was only made better by the fact he was fat. Miguel's was cool and I thought it went with the whole "sister dead so I just want revenge thing". But his doesn't seem as cool as Bob or the mishimas.
Yeah when Shaheen was announced I was getting messages from my homies (they know I'm a big tekken head coz my car's license plate is TEKKEN) and were like "plz tell me this isn't real, there's nothing arabic about him aside from his headwear lmao", and this was coming from people that play by facerolling on the pad and they can already tell...

Idk much about the new characters yet, like I said I've been trying to avoid tekken 7 info coz I won't have it in my hands for a long time. Katarina looks cool but it looks like a Miguel-ish freestyle that's mainly kicks. She cute tho so I'll allow it.
It's the others that piss me off really, some DDR bitch with cat paws and headphones and a Quincy with glowing hands and shoots arrows and dressed like he came out of a Dynasty warriors convention, a big ass whatever the fuck Gigas is supposed to be.. Like okay bro, cool.. Harada ran out of ideas I guess so we're getting the absolute bottom of the barrel for designs.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Just saw a twitter conversation and someone said Tekken is a game where buttonmashing scrubs have beaten veterans . . . There is no way I could believe that with how prior T7 tekken played. There is just way too many non casual ways to get bopped.

But has there been a case where someone who clearly looked like they didn't play Tekken at a high level still manage to make a decent showing in a tourney?
Probably a scrub upset that he lost to a Hwo xxxo xxxo. Them kicks too OP yo. :DOGE

But nah, ain't no scrubs putting on a show in Tekken against good comp just like any fighter. Maybe even worse in Tekken when it comes to scrub stomping than most games.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
@SaltShaker This games fundamentals being hindered severely in online play just makes me so hype for T7.

Couple questions...

Do get up kicks still have the same punish frames in all four grounded positions from TTT2 as far as you can tell?

Do the moves that used to bound in TTT2 still spike so your opponent can't tech, if not are there moves that do?

Can you still do WR or FC moves off a tech roll?

And... You can't tail spin off a parry combo correct?

I need to watch more T7, just trying to keep it fresh for release, don't really wanna see everything before I can play. I'm not a window shopper.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@SaltShaker This games fundamentals being hindered severely in online play just makes me so hype for T7.

Couple questions...

Do get up kicks still have the same punish frames in all four grounded positions from TTT2 as far as you can tell?

Do the moves that used to bound in TTT2 still spike so your opponent can't tech, if not are there moves that do?

Can you still do WR or FC moves off a tech roll?

And... You can't tail spin off a parry combo correct?

I need to watch more T7, just trying to keep it fresh for release, don't really wanna see everything before I can play. I'm not a window shopper.
Yea me too. As much as I would love to feel the same I did a month or two ago about MKX, I dont. Inability to play online while every other game can has a lot to do with that. Youre supposed to be able to mix online WITH local play, not local play being the ONLY option for good games.

-You mean the WU kicks? Or hopkicks. Hopkicks are still punishable (except Shaheen of course) but the WU kicks are different. Like the timing is weird now to blow them up with the same moves, but maybe just a "different" timing than before. The cast has moves to blow up any low or mid WU kick though, but you just have to do the right one. For example, if you think a low WU kick is coming Katrina's OH Heel will crush and combo. If you think mid kick is coming her low sweep kick will CH and combo. If you guess wrong you get poked. That's if you want to combo it. If not you can just do her big forward kick move and knockdown any WU attempt. Pretty universal on the ground game, not nearly the same depth when facing options. All part of the new oki unless I'm doing something wrong, but everyone in the arcade seems to have adjusted the same way.

-Some moves that used to bound now cause a hard knockdown, some became regular moves with no properties, and some are floor break moves. It depends on the move the change they did with it.

-nope. What do you think this is? TTT2? Lol

-low parry? Yea you can. It takes less damage than normal combos but you can do hit hit hit tailspin hit ender or whatever just like any other time. That goes for floor breaks and walk breaks too.

Also, Paul can tailspin elbow you into Phoenix Smasher. 2 hits, 65% damage. Yep.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Yea me too. As much as I would love to feel the same I did a month or two ago about MKX, I dont. Inability to play online while every other game can has a lot to do with that. Youre supposed to be able to mix online WITH local play, not local play being the ONLY option for good games.

-You mean the WU kicks? Or hopkicks. Hopkicks are still punishable (except Shaheen of course) but the WU kicks are different. Like the timing is weird now to blow them up with the same moves, but maybe just a "different" timing than before. The cast has moves to blow up any low or mid WU kick though, but you just have to do the right one. For example, if you think a low WU kick is coming Katrina's OH Heel will crush and combo. If you think mid kick is coming her low sweep kick will CH and combo. If you guess wrong you get poked. That's if you want to combo it. If not you can just do her big forward kick move and knockdown any WU attempt. Pretty universal on the ground game, not nearly the same depth when facing options. All part of the new oki unless I'm doing something wrong, but everyone in the arcade seems to have adjusted the same way.

-Some moves that used to bound now cause a hard knockdown, some became regular moves with no properties, and some are floor break moves. It depends on the move the change they did with it.

-nope. What do you think this is? TTT2? Lol

-low parry? Yea you can. It takes less damage than normal combos but you can do hit hit hit tailspin hit ender or whatever just like any other time. That goes for floor breaks and walk breaks too.

Also, Paul can tailspin elbow you into Phoenix Smasher. 2 hits, 65% damage. Yep.
Thanks Salt, you always got all the T7 info. Nice to have a direct source.

I was referring to on block frames for get up kicks by the way.

Face up feet towards mid -12

Face up feet away mid -14

Face down feet towards mid -14

Face down feet away mid -19

Face up feet towards low -12

Face up feet away low -13

Face down feet towards low -17

Face down feet away low -22

Those were the TTT2 frames, and I believe the previous Tekken 6 frames but someone can correct me If I'm wrong.

Can't tech roll into a FC or WR attack anymore, WTF...

And you can tailspin off a parry combo unlike TTT2 where you could not Bound in a parry combo. Ooh, I kinda like that. 65%... DAMN!
That'll stop people from using that pesky new WU toe kick into rollback safely.

Thanks for all your info again Salt, always appreciated.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Thanks Salt, you always got all the T7 info. Nice to have a direct source.

I was referring to on block frames for get up kicks by the way.

Face up feet towards mid -12

Face up feet away mid -14

Face down feet towards mid -14

Face down feet away mid -19

Face up feet towards low -12

Face up feet away low -13

Face down feet towards low -17

Face down feet away low -22

Those were the TTT2 frames, and I believe the previous Tekken 6 frames but someone can correct me If I'm wrong.

Can't tech roll into a FC or WR attack anymore, WTF...

And you can tailspin off a parry combo unlike TTT2 where you could not Bound in a parry combo. Ooh, I kinda like that. 65%... DAMN!
That'll stop people from using that pesky new WU toe kick into rollback safely.

Thanks for all your info again Salt, always appreciated.
Yea know doubt man. This game is the truth lol.

Ah ok yea it might either still be the same or at least close to the same. Like I know face up/feet towards/mid can be poke punished but not launch punished with a mid so they might be very similar.

Yea oki is so simplified now lol. You have to like tech roll into standing into crouch then WR for example, but for all that it's too much. Now it's very "either do this or do that".

Yea it adds more low parry options which is good. Like Paul can do his two punch sway into jab into his tailspin off a low parry, then continue the combo into an ender, floor crush, or Phoenix, or etc. I've been on the receiving end of this low parry combo after a lunging low Josie kick lol.

Yea no way that 65% two hit makes it to console lol. My Paul salt is increasing every week.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Hopkicks are still punishable (except Shaheen of course)
That sounds completely broken. Shaheen's hop kick must splat and leave him -2 on hit. . . . .

I don't know how I feel about the changed oki. I like the this or that rock paper scissor aspect. But it seems like oki just changed to less this and thats. Now you just make one choice instead of 2 or 3. I don't know if that made sense or if I'm understanding correctly.

Fuck Paul's damage. I remember when TTT2 came out had a friend troll me with solo Paul. One fuck up lead to my last 5 combos not meaning shit.

@SaltShaker, Any leo players come through that could give you input? Only character I'm interested in that you didn't have info on last time I checked.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That sounds completely broken. Shaheen's hop kick must splat and leave him -2 on hit. . . . .

I don't know how I feel about the changed oki. I like the this or that rock paper scissor aspect. But it seems like oki just changed to less this and thats. Now you just make one choice instead of 2 or 3. I don't know if that made sense or if I'm understanding correctly.

Fuck Paul's damage. I remember when TTT2 came out had a friend troll me with solo Paul. One fuck up lead to my last 5 combos not meaning shit.
Yea Shaheen's hopkick basically is a low crushing, even crushing some mids, 50% combo launching, poke punishable at best by about half the cast, fast startup launcher lol. And that's just that one move... This character is just too stupid right now.

Yea you pretty much hit the new oki on the head, that's exactly what it is. There's no more multi options to hit or evade. There's either "do this to hit or whiff/block" and then if they tech it's "do this to hit or whiff". Both of you basically have like two options to take in each ground position lol. Wall game is needed to. They get off it so easy after a combo and tech like over 90degrees to your side if you try to continue pressuee the old way lol. For someone like me who thrived off Bryan's oki and wall I reallyyyyy hate the new system but I've adjusted now.

Yea Paul players better enjoy that broken damage now, because we all know "CH Elbow into Phoenix Smasher 2hits for 65%" is not making it to console haha!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Was it this thread that showed claudio's odd looking low crush? I think it's claudio and he does a weird motion, starts crouching then twists his body and ends up doing a sort of heel smash. The gif showed Kazuya missing a shin kick that definitely looks like it touches claudio but he just ignores everything and does the most animu looking kick possibly into a combo. That shit was funny.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
SaltShaker, how good is Steve looking so far? If Anna/Lee/Zafina don't make it I'll probably have him as a main, I'm hoping his ff2 hits grounded opponents again but I know they won't give that back to him :(
I'll need to hit up some vids to see what did he get in T7.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
So where the Tekken lovers at? There's a Tekken 7 arcade machine 30min from my house, I'm here right now, so it might be a wrap for me.

Oh yea, discuss all things Tekken.
You lucky bastard. Where is it at? Are you lucky enough to be near one of the Dave and Buster's test locations? I'm DYING to play this game.

Anyway, I'm really hoping there's going to be a console release soon. Right now with the current roster, Claudio interests me most. I'm still holding out hope that Miguel will be added but I'm not holding my breath.

Nice to see Tekken getting some love. I'm so looking forward to playing a fighter with good netcode again. Tekken 6 and Tag 2 were really fucking good 90% of the time.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
SaltShaker, how good is Steve looking so far? If Anna/Lee/Zafina don't make it I'll probably have him as a main, I'm hoping his ff2 hits grounded opponents again but I know they won't give that back to him :(
I'll need to hit up some vids to see what did he get in T7.
Steve is good. I won't say great but good. If you like him you'll feel right at home. The only thing against him I think which will make him a more scarce character than usual is that he's still one of the "harder" characters to use, maybe even more in T7, while some characters are very easy to use with as good or better tools. He's still super fun though, one of my favs. Anna is all but gone, would love to see Zafina back. FF2 crushes the WU attacks and DB2 hits the grounded chars.

You lucky bastard. Where is it at? Are you lucky enough to be near one of the Dave and Buster's test locations? I'm DYING to play this game.

Anyway, I'm really hoping there's going to be a console release soon. Right now with the current roster, Claudio interests me most. I'm still holding out hope that Miguel will be added but I'm not holding my breath.

Nice to see Tekken getting some love. I'm so looking forward to playing a fighter with good netcode again. Tekken 6 and Tag 2 were really fucking good 90% of the time.
Yep, the DnB. Half an hour from my house and about a 5 minute walk from my job. :DOGE

I can't imagine not playing this game all the way until console release lol. It's just too damn good. Like a narcotic at this point, addicted beyond my control.

Yea Claudio is really good. His hand power up moves are pretty unique and the coolest thing about him. He's piss easy to use though. Makes BS Shinnok ease of use feel like Jax lol.

I think we're all waiting for that amazing T7 Netcode. The arcade connects through online to face the person next to you and it feels pretty much the same as TTT2 online but a little better. It'll likely be the same on console. This will be the best part by far, not having to hop in my car any time I want to play an actual game lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Jin is here to drink tea and fuck shit up yo

The current best T7 jin is a girl and her name is CherryBerryMango, holy shit she is the real deal.

The has execution, and she researches for tech, i've been seeing some good oki aplications she was introducing.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

The current best T7 jin is a girl and her name is CherryBerryMango, holy shit she is the real deal.

The has execution, and she researches for tech, i've been seeing some good oki aplications she was introducing.
Cherry is a girl? Haha had no idea. I've seen some of her matches on YouTube, her Jin play is some of the best Jin I've seen in this game.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese

Waifu

Edit: or not, lol.

Last edited:

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese

Okay, so Cherry is not a chic...

At around 6:15 camera pans to Cherry

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
< Nothing wrong with having a waifu for an avatar, although it can be deceiving lol.
Yeah, moving on just check one of his stuff

So, before there was almost no reason to block low against jin because he had pretty crap damage on hitting low and his lows were highly punishable.

Well in T7 they still are highly punishable, but the reward is so big that opens up for different aplications across the rest of his tools, now that jin whiff punishes whiffing against him is a serious deal, also his ewhf on hit gives him some serious damage with Zan 3 as a filler.

His wd 4 and Zan 4 always juggled but now with the kirimomi system (screw attacks) he got some serious 50-50 mixups with his lows, his electric Left hook launcher and ff3 has mid hitting launchers making them both safe.

Definitely as someone said before, jin was made for this game lol

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Yeah, moving on just check one of his stuff

So, before there was almost no reason to block low against jin because he had pretty crap damage on hitting low and his lows were highly punishable.

Well in T7 they still are highly punishable, but the reward is so big that opens up for different aplications across the rest of his tools, now that jin whiff punishes whiffing against him is a serious deal, also his ewhf on hit gives him some serious damage with Zan 3 as a filler.

His wd 4 and Zan 4 always juggled but now with the kirimomi system (screw attacks) he got some serious 50-50 mixups with his lows, his electric Left hook launcher and ff3 has mid hitting launchers making them both safe.

Definitely as someone said before, jin was made for this game lol
Aside from it's reach and push back, what are the negative on block frames on that kick he's using to space and whiff punish punish attempts? Is that Zan 4, not sure. Is it at least as punishable as Death Fist or not even?

Hmmm... Looks like I can punish Zan 4 but not Zan 3 at + 8~13

Last edited: