What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero: Who is that masked man? (And who is the Unmasked man?)

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
You guys are making my head hurt. My money is on the "Younger Sub Zero" Quai Liang getting ressurected and "rehumanized" after Shinnok's Netherrealm uprising scheme is thwarted. That's how a lot of the "dead" characters are going to get second chances (like Kitana).

Also...if we want to talk strictly evidenced based. The unmasked Sub from the trailer has the same face as the masked Sub we've seen so I'd put money on it being the same guy. Look at the eyes / nose...same dude.

eNARV

Capital Punishment
What I think is going on is that the MKX Subzero IS bihan, BUT NRS wanted to give tribute to Kuai Liang since CyberSubZero wont be in MKX so they gave subzero a "Kuai Liang Alternate" ?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
As someone else mentioned, this entire story takes place over the course of 25 years. In this new "reboot", Sub Zero doesn't have the scar, yet. We will find out why he gets and who that actually is in the story. I can't wait to find out. This whole storyline is just crazy. I've been reading the comics and I'm way into it.

I just hope Reiko is in now. He's a major player in the comics. Oh...and I hope they explain how the hell Goro gets his arms back.

I think the unmasked Sub-Zero is Kuai Liang and the masked one is Bi-Han.

But in UMK3/MKT we have Classic Sub-Zero, maybe a third Sub-Zero.

Some people beleave he is the live representation of the original Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) but his ending is still quite vague.
I've read alot of comments on forums, some say he is Johnny Cage and some say it's Quan Chi.
I really hope the masked one in MKX is this Classic Sub-Zero, a new Sub-Zero.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
In this new "reboot", Sub Zero doesn't have the scar, yet. We will find out why he gets and who that actually is in the story. I can't wait to find out.
We actually already got to see that in the comics. I think it was in the very first issue.. first or second, can't remember. Anyway, Kano cut Sub-Zero over the eye with the kamidogu.

D7MHellcat

Frozen Earth
Maybe Phil is right. We all assumed they retconned younger Sub being half Caucasian but what if he's just the youngest brother and Kuai was new for MK9?

Then again I'm full of shit lol. Either way this is interesting. The only thing I'll say for certain is that unmasked SZ is my main.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
If both are alive & well in comic & game, I need (I mean NEED) some type of interaction between those two.

Don't fail me NRS!

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Its pretty clear, masked one is Bi-Han and one without mask is Kuai Liang.

Sub-zero's unmasked alt in MK9 is not canon to story of MK9.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
When I've heard Lao saying "Dead man walks" to SubZ I was pretty sure it's Bi-Han. Now seeing him unmasked - looks like Kuai Liang. Personally I'm fine with any of them, I just don't want to see "See of Sub-Zeroes". Maybe they will give us two SubZ bros just like in MK9. Maybe they are playing with costumes. All good as long as this is not 3rd party.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I think they retconned his scar.

Kuai Liang originally got the scar at some point between MK2 and MK3, but that didn't happen in the new timeline. Originally people said that the scar was the "mark of death" that Lin Kuei put on Kuai when he escaped with Smoke, but later MKSM showed that he got the scar from Kung Lao. Neither of those scenarios happened in the new timeline as Kuai was captured by the Lin Kuei before the invasion, and Kung and Kuai never fought in MK9 at all.

This new Sub with a scar might not be Kuai Liang, but then again he could be. I'm leaning towards him being Kuai, but the masked sub...IDK. Boon alluded to this being a new Sub altogether, but then again I believe their is evidence to make a case for it being Bi Han.

At the same time though, that could / might just be another skin (1 of many) for Subzero.

Last edited:

Geoduck

Halfasser
If the new Sub is Bi Han, why is he voiced by Steven Blum and not Jamieson Price ;_;
My thoughts exactly. I mean, you can clearly tell he is still the announcer for this MK. Might as well have him voice Bi-Han, right? WRONG, because this Sub Zero is not Bi-Han, and is totally Kuai Liang an-I'm just grasping at straws at this point now.:( Noob's chances are looking bleak at this point, but I still have hope!