What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Alright Subbies... has anyone figured out what to do against Omni-man stance into Goro stomp? I assume it's punishable on block, but 2 doesn't reach, f1 doesn't reach, b3 doesn't reach... haven't been able to lab him cuz I'm broke and can't afford $40 for 6 characters rn. Does anyone have any tips against that move? I haven't tried slide or clone punch yet, but I'm gonna assume they're too slow

Edit: JUST thought to upblock it, but does that work? If so, the aforementioned buttons STILL wouldn't reach to punish it

How are we feeling about the omniman MU? Because right now I feel like he absolutely destroys sub.
I believe you play a more lockdown Sub with Frost, which I can see being a nightmare against Omni-Man. Maybe I have't played a good enough one yet, but if you can combo off of enhanced Slide, I don't find him to be too bad since his main strings have gaps (video if it helps:
) and because we can beat his parry with B3 or Divekick. Either way though, he's definitely a monster of a character.

The Highlander

There can be only one
I primarily used goro for the plus frames and combo off of slide and b34. You can b34 and call him close if they block to try and get them blocking there too. But the lower health is a pretty big deal, and goro is slow to recharge. Sonya gives him a 140 throw and a similar combo potential (slightly different routes) without the +frames, and he doesn't lose the life. Is there any other reason to go sonya over goro that I'm missing?

I primarily used goro for the plus frames and combo off of slide and b34. You can b34 and call him close if they block to try and get them blocking there too. But the lower health is a pretty big deal, and goro is slow to recharge. Sonya gives him a 140 throw and a similar combo potential (slightly different routes) without the +frames, and he doesn't lose the life. Is there any other reason to go sonya over goro that I'm missing?
That's a good summary. I'd say Sonya also gives you better zoning with her shot or covering the air while Sub throws a projectile. You also get more damaging combos with her charged shot as was shared in this thread, and charge shot can also let you get get in on a turtling opponent. Lastly, though it has very limited use, her leg grab is a reversal so it can blow up certain gaps when you don't have the meter to armor. Leg grab also gives side switch combos to F12 but honestly Goro's grab is better for that since it works on more of Subs strings.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
  • make his ice clone stay 1 sec longer
  • make his meter ice clone cost 1 meter, atm nobody uses it
  • make his dive kick an overhead and his meter one a low attack
  • make his ice statue move a bit further
And reduce the recovery on klone. It might be the most unsafe move in NRS history.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Another nerf they gave Sub-Zero’s klone from MK9 and MKX, is that he jumps backward to set it up, instead of leaping backwards.

This makes it easier for people to hit you out of it.

how come sometimes when I press the second b2 ( after I confirmed the first b2) subzero does a block instead of b2?
I dont even press the block button. its weird this is happening to me since 3 days, lost tons of matches because of this.
and this never happened to me before since the release of mk1.

also sup with all these online players in KL having subzero, scorp and havik avatar pictures yet using smoke and oniman?
lol its like 60% of all my matches in KL are vs smoke and oniman.

how come sometimes when I press the second b2 ( after I confirmed the first b2) subzero does a block instead of b2?
I dont even press the block button. its weird this is happening to me since 3 days, lost tons of matches because of this.
and this never happened to me before since the release of mk1.

also sup with all these online players in KL having subzero, scorp and havik avatar pictures yet using smoke and oniman?
lol its like 60% of all my matches in KL are vs smoke and oniman.
I never have that problem, have you tried using different controller?

I never have that problem, have you tried using different controller?
Its not the controllers fault, when Im in training mode I can repeat any combo with 2x b2 without any issue
but online it happens since a few days that subzero is doing a block on the second b2

Huh, that's odd. I've never had that problem. Are you on PC? Maybe a temporary glitch? Though that sounds like a pretty big glitch if it is one...

Those Sonya combos posted in here feel so good to hit (the charge shot in the middle of the combo), and the kick into iceball can be modified for anti-airs, whether that's with J1/J2, air divekick hit, or standing 1. Thanks again for posting them!!

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Those Sonya combos posted in here feel so good to hit (the charge shot in the middle of the combo), and the kick into iceball can be modified for anti-airs, whether that's with J1/J2, air divekick hit, or standing 1. Thanks again for posting them!!
You’re welcome! Glad you’re enjoying it. Sub-Zero/Sonya is fun. I ran it from the beta until recently.

If they made ring toss an ambush she’d be Sub’s best kameo in my opinion.