What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
He's pretty sick. I wish he had at least one confirmable 3 hit string, but his strings are slow enough that its not much of an issue tho

Anyway I've been playing the Beta and I'm super pleased to find that my theory about Jax Clone was at least half right. His Ice Clone will avoid the unblockable, unfortunately this wont pop them up into the clone itself. More testing is needed.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
He's pretty sick. I wish he had at least one confirmable 3 hit string, but his strings are slow enough that its not much of an issue tho

Anyway I've been playing the Beta and I'm super pleased to find that my theory about Jax Clone was at least half right. His Ice Clone will avoid the unblockable, unfortunately this wont pop them up into the clone itself. More testing is needed.

This can also be used against Jax players, as Xombat did against NinjaKilla. Smart shit

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
I cant find a benefit for subs bf2ex the projectile
No frame difference, no pushback to be safe, not faster, same damage, no armor, not more range.
anyone knows what i dont see?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Iv been using Sonya as my kameo so far, I haven’t seen much of the game yet though. Very straight forward and easy to use though, will probably stick with her for the rest of the beta.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
More testing with Clone and Jax. Jax will knock them up into the clone, but only on 2 conditions.
  1. The Clone is EX
  2. Its an actual popup
The way Jax's unblockable works is if they're hit by it, it will knock them up into the air. Unless they're crouch blocking. If they're crouch blocking then they do a low fastfall type deal. I've tested it out and if you're just crouching you get launched and if you're just stand blocking you get launched. It needs to be crouch blocking to avoid. So I've been working on trying to time his b2 overhead cancelled into EX clone. It has to be b2 because thats his one and only cancelable overhead. Its a really fucking rough thing to try and practice against an AI tho. If I had practice mode I could fully explore the options here. I'll work more on it for now tho.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Sub's little hop on his 3,4 string avoids Jaxs Ground Pound too. Def gonna need to see if anything worthwhile can be pulled from this

I found a way to land Sub's 3,4 string after a Jax assisted launched b2. I don't have frame data ofc, but even with increased gravity I think it might be his most advantageous ender, if only by a little over slide. Idk yet, but this could be the key to opening up b2/groundpound oki shenanigans

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What do y’all think the best way to end this corner combo would be? I haven’t tried integrating the Kameos into my combos yet, so maybe using a Kameo like Sonya for this would work.

Side note, me jumping after the dive kick was an accident due to my PS5 controller. I use the dpad of course, but the left analog will randomly drift upwards and get stuck there without me ever touching it. So I wasn’t trying to do another jumping/air attack after the dk lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Prob stand 3 xxslide
Yeah that’s how I normally end the combos after dive kick, but Idk if there’s enough time to do S3 after all of that. Or if that slide would even connect. But I’ll definitely give it a try

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What strings have you had the most success with? I find myself relying on F12 way too much and becoming predictable.
I don’t have a ton of experience with this game yet, so gonna be a lot of “I feel” statements.

Anyway, F12 is definitely his best string imo. Sub doesn’t seem like as much of a mix or offensive character as he does a defensive one. Like for the most part you’ll be zoning opponents I feel as oppose to rushing them down and making them guess a lot with his low and overhead mix (which his low/OH mix isn’t that great imo). Even when you get them into the corner, I feel like the best option is to zone them out with klone and his klone projectile. I definitely also feel like he’s gonna struggle vs characters with a teleport. All that said, his Klone is super good as I said for zoning. It’s also good for mobility in a way.

But again, this is all based on limited experience. So take what I said with a grain of salt

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Idk if everyone knew this already, but you can cancel the first hit of b2 into slide, which makes it an overhead into a low. Really gimmicky thing, but a good round ender against less skilled players who aren't expecting it ;)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don’t have a ton of experience with this game yet, so gonna be a lot of “I feel” statements.

Anyway, F12 is definitely his best string imo. Sub doesn’t seem like as much of a mix or offensive character as he does a defensive one. Like for the most part you’ll be zoning opponents I feel as oppose to rushing them down and making them guess a lot with his low and overhead mix (which his low/OH mix isn’t that great imo). Even when you get them into the corner, I feel like the best option is to zone them out with klone and his klone projectile. I definitely also feel like he’s gonna struggle vs characters with a teleport. All that said, his Klone is super good as I said for zoning. It’s also good for mobility in a way.

But again, this is all based on limited experience. So take what I said with a grain of salt
I think you can play him either way and it depends on the cameo. He gets 30% (with my shitty un-optimal combos) meterless off his 50/50 with Sonya, so when you want to take a risk it’s not a bad payout. I definitely don’t think you should rely on the 50/50 completely though. When the game comes out fully im sure there will be a cameo even better than Sonya for him to get meterless damage off the 50/50, and I think we will be picking cameos like this vs characters that we can’t zone (hypothetically Scorpion or Smoke) so may as well just go for damage and take them to the corner off a mixup ASAP

I agree that the ice klone is very good and I’m sure there will be some absolutely disgusting shit he can do in the corner with it once we get the full game. He has excellent corner carry too.

Another thing that makes the ice klone and to a degree the ice ball better in this game is his jump 12 string and B2, since he now has a very easy path to convert off a frozen airborne opponent, or someone in a weird position. I couldn’t tell you how many times in MKX I’d have an opponent frozen just off the ground and have to do a gimped combo, or they were really low and I’d have to do a shitty combo because they were frozen in any way other than upright.

Think Mileena ball roll or a similar move, we don’t even have to think about it, B2 into launch, we get the full combo because we froze her, and her being in a stupid position doesn’t cheat us out of damage. Got someone with the air klone? Jump in 12 and do your full combo and take them to the corner. I think it makes any of his freezes way more threatening because he can get a real combo off a freeze of any kind which wasn’t always the case for him.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Idk if everyone knew this already, but you can cancel the first hit of b2 into slide, which makes it an overhead into a low. Really gimmicky thing, but a good round ender against less skilled players who aren't expecting it ;)
If you throw it out like 1/100 times it’ll get anyone lol

What do y’all think the best way to end this corner combo would be? I haven’t tried integrating the Kameos into my combos yet, so maybe using a Kameo like Sonya for this would work.

Side note, me jumping after the dive kick was an accident due to my PS5 controller. I use the dpad of course, but the left analog will randomly drift upwards and get stuck there without me ever touching it. So I wasn’t trying to do another jumping/air attack after the dk lol
I hate the recovery after landing from dive kick. It's twice as long as it should be and makes timing combo finishers so obnoxious. I can't find any version of bf2 or bf3 that lands from this starter.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hate the recovery after landing from dive kick. It's twice as long as it should be and makes timing combo finishers so obnoxious. I can't find any version of bf2 or bf3 that lands from this starter.
I found that instead of trying to get a finisher, that after the divekick you can get an Ice Klone and it’s RIGHT in their face on their wakeup. So I’ve just been doing that instead of looking for more damage. Which I’m sure there’s a way to get over 40% with this combo with help from Kameos.