What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
This will surely ruffle some feathers, but i'm rather glad he turned out to be a low tier hero, that requires work to do well (somewhat like was in 9). I don't care if you're Tom Brady or "420Blazer69" - if you mained Sub in X (Grandmaster) or 11 (for any of the reasons of your choice) - you refused to play the game everyone else played and wanted an easy, borderline braindead way out. It's about time you get humbled. Besides, people like Brady won't ever quit him anyway, they'll go to the Netherrealm for him. The current clone properties are hilarious, though. They do deserve a second opinion, all things said.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This will surely ruffle some feathers, but i'm rather glad he turned out to be a low tier hero, that requires work to do well (somewhat like was in 9). I don't care if you're Tom Brady or "420Blazer69" - if you mained Sub in X (Grandmaster) or 11 (for any of the reasons of your choice) - you refused to play the game everyone else played and wanted an easy, borderline braindead way out. It's about time you get humbled. Besides, people like Brady won't ever quit him anyway, they'll go to the Netherrealm for him. The current clone properties are hilarious, though. They do deserve a second opinion, all things said.
Yeah you’ll ruffle feathers, cause it’s ridiculous, not cause it’s a truth bomb we didn’t want to hear.

I played him in MKX cause I wanted to, I played Grandmaster because he was the best variation. He didn’t not play the game any more than other degenerate characters, and there were a fuck ton of them. In the final patch of X, Sub-Zero still lost 9 matchups imo, and that was the best version of the character. If you were a Jax, Smoke, Cyrax, or Kotal player, I get where you’re coming from.

We played the character we love, we played him before the SZ community discovered the armor break enforcing the 33/33/33 tech for the corner, played him while the players who DID want the easy way out dropped him for Predator Hunter because they thought he’d be an easier and better Grandmaster (then he got nerfed and they gave up). Tom Brady took him to tournaments and got 9th several times because he stuck with Sub exclusively, got made fun of on stream all day losing to Foxy’s Mileena and Honeybee’s D’Vorah because he was dedicated to improving in 3-7 matchups. He took a ton of work if you were a character loyalist. It’s not our fault they made him a degenerate 50/50 character, and the fact that nobody is asking for B2 to be made faster proves that’s not the Sub-Zero we ever wanted to play. But as all ways, we take what we get.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Kenshi was nerfed but not this significantly. It’s frustrating but I’m gonna roll with it and hope for the best patch wise or otherwise.
This is EXACTLY why I said I was glad my potential mains like Smoke & Scorpion weren’t in the beta. I was worried they would get nerfed, but thought that may be me just being paranoid. Turns out I was absolutely correct. His Klone was perfect in the beta, it wasn’t broken, didn’t stay on screen very long, and you couldn’t “spam” it, but you could utilize it as it’s one of his most important moves. The fact that they nerfed that AND his damage makes absolutely zero sense to me when we have characters getting 40%+ meterless and some Kameo-less. This is the type of shit that literally makes me drop NRS games. I’m glad other characters were more interesting to me, but I feel really bad for all of you Sub-Zero mains, that’s super fcked up man

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
This is EXACTLY why I said I was glad my potential mains like Smoke & Scorpion weren’t in the beta. I was worried they would get nerfed, but thought that may be me just being paranoid. Turns out I was absolutely correct. His Klone was perfect in the beta, it wasn’t broken, didn’t stay on screen very long, and you couldn’t “spam” it, but you could utilize it as it’s one of his most important moves. The fact that they nerfed that AND his damage makes absolutely zero sense to me when we have characters getting 40%+ meterless and some Kameo-less. This is the type of shit that literally makes me drop NRS games. I’m glad other characters were more interesting to me, but I feel really bad for all of you Sub-Zero mains, that’s super fcked up man
I think he will get help and others will be brought down, I’ll be all the better for it by learning him as is. He’s not garbage even if he was pointlessly nerfed. We shall see.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
Why couldn’t sub-zero get a normal d2 lol? It’s so hard to anti air kitanas jump in kick.

And if I try to anti air with klone they do the fan to stay in the air and avoid it.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
The fact that they nerfed that AND his damage makes absolutely zero sense to me
They also nerfed his best mid. He had a 12 frame f1. Now it's 15 frames :laughing: I want to say they nerfed its range too but I can't say for sure. I don't remember him sliding backwards before it came out in the stress test or closed beta like he seems to do now.

Versa

Noob
Already moved onto Mileena, but get the fuck out of here with goofy posts like this breh.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
To you guys dropping him week 2:
View attachment 21048
I’ve never been a Sub player. But After trying him in the beta he was gonna be at least in the rotation because I really liked him. But after these completely unnecessary nerfs, he’s no longer the character that I enjoyed in the beta. If I was a character loyalist to Sub then it’d be different. Hope you Sub players can make him work, but unless he gets fixed to at least back to where he was in the beta, I’m not wasting my time
¯\(ツ)

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
Yeah you’ll ruffle feathers, cause it’s ridiculous, not cause it’s a truth bomb we didn’t want to hear.

I played him in MKX cause I wanted to, I played Grandmaster because he was the best variation. He didn’t not play the game any more than other degenerate characters, and there were a fuck ton of them. In the final patch of X, Sub-Zero still lost 9 matchups imo, and that was the best version of the character. If you were a Jax, Smoke, Cyrax, or Kotal player, I get where you’re coming from.

We played the character we love, we played him before the SZ community discovered the armor break enforcing the 33/33/33 tech for the corner, played him while the players who DID want the easy way out dropped him for Predator Hunter because they thought he’d be an easier and better Grandmaster (then he got nerfed and they gave up). Tom Brady took him to tournaments and got 9th several times because he stuck with Sub exclusively, got made fun of on stream all day losing to Foxy’s Mileena and Honeybee’s D’Vorah because he was dedicated to improving in 3-7 matchups. He took a ton of work if you were a character loyalist. It’s not our fault they made him a degenerate 50/50 character, and the fact that nobody is asking for B2 to be made faster proves that’s not the Sub-Zero we ever wanted to play. But as all ways, we take what we get.
It's a good thing you can come into a forum and express your feelings like that. There's no time for that in an online match environment. For every 5 loyalists there are a 100 of those i just described, there's no way to tell.

Already moved onto Mileena, but get the fuck out of here with goofy posts like this breh.
I will manage my free time myself, thank you very much.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It's a good thing you can come into a forum and express your feelings like that. There's no time for that in an online match environment. For every 5 loyalists there are a 100 of those i just described, there's no way to tell.

I will manage my free time myself, thank you very much.
They don’t owe you an explanation, Sub wasn’t at all out of line for MKX

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I’ve never been a Sub player. But After trying him in the beta he was gonna be at least in the rotation because I really liked him. But after these completely unnecessary nerfs, he’s no longer the character that I enjoyed in the beta. If I was a character loyalist to Sub then it’d be different. Hope you Sub players can make him work, but unless he gets fixed to at least back to where he was in the beta, I’m not wasting my time
¯\(ツ)
Haha I’m just messing around man, I don’t care who plays him or not

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Haha I’m just messing around man, I don’t care who plays him or not
Oh yeah, I know. But it’s always so unbelievably irritating to me when NRS does this shit. They always seem to unnecessarily nerf characters that never deserved to be nerfed. And these nerfs from the beta actually have me worried. If they wanted to nerf THAT, 90% of the characters are gonna get gutted in the next balance patch.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Oh yeah, I know. But it’s always so unbelievably irritating to me when NRS does this shit. They always seem to unnecessarily nerf characters that never deserved to be nerfed. And these nerfs from the beta actually have me worried. If they wanted to nerf THAT, 90% of the characters are gonna get gutted in the next balance patch.
Yeah they fucked him over, I agree. He was fine in the beta. I agree that the game is gonna change a lot in the first patch, I hope they don’t gut the entire cast, I’d definitely rather see beta Sub back. It’s just the ice klone nerfs seem so particular and deliberate, and the recovery is so high that they we really don’t intend for Sub-Zero to be able to use it in any way other than a trap. Since it’s almost gone by the time he can move, let alone clone cancel. F12 Klone cancel is over minus 30 for example. Which a gimped klone is perfectly fine if that’s the direction they want to go with it it’d be nice to have something elsewhere.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

it hits right in the feelz
38% LMFAO. No you don't understand, if he could crack 40% with 3 bars, 2 kameo charges, and his fatal blow off of a 15 frame mid, he would ruin the game, it would be unfathomably broken.

35 fucking hits - "All that for a drop of blood."

Also what a cursed thumbnail

Last edited:
Same here, I'm terrified what's coming on actual patch day. I'm hoping they wait 4-6 months before touching any characters, just scale damage and fix bugs. Let us master our characters and matchups.

I was infuriated when I found Sub was nearly gutted.
Thankfully Sikander found new gameplay and says Sub is still strong.
But it does p1ss me off that they nerfed everything they claimed was his game plan and strong. Like clone corner trap and his 50/50 being molasses speed.
The thing I think hurt most was the gaps in his D1 jailing strings to take back his turn and obviously clone and Mid.

38% LMFAO. No you don't understand, if he could crack 40% with 3 bars, 2 kameo charges, and his fatal blow off of a 15 frame mid, he would ruin the game, it would be unfathomably broken.

35 fucking hits - "All that for a drop of blood."

Also what a cursed thumbnail
I wouldn't mind having a buff or two but I think Sub is tournament viable.

If I wanted any change I'd say give strong clone back or remove those gaps in his only high starters that jail from D1.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I wouldn't mind having a buff or two but I think Sub is tournament viable.

If I wanted any change I'd say give strong clone back or remove those gaps in his only high starters that jail from D1.
Iv been having a better time with him lately too, having a good mid advancing mid helps a lot regardless of anything, even if it’s on the slower side. Characters like Mileena are better than him but he still has that good mid which she lacks, or Scorpion who can’t do the full mid string. F12 is still legit, however if F123 were safe and had no gap that’d be nice.

LionHeart V1

You will feel deaths cold embrace
They neutered him. Beta Subzero was super fun. Was I expecting him to stay the same? No. But damn man.

Does no damage unless he has sareena and even then hes barely getting to 40.
Long cool down on clone.
Everyone can just stand in clone and not get frozen.
Can't even block after clone.
Has no staggers
B2 laughably slow.
B3 is pretty useless.
His mid is slower.
No mix ups.
Doesn't have a ninja hood.

Meanwhile lemon characters such as Baraka & Raiden can do 50% with ease.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Sub-Zero cameo is pretty good. The projectile negation is helpful in putting an iceball on the fucking screen, the shoulder charge is surprisingly useful and obviously the combo extender is good even if damage is pitiful.