What's new

Tech Stop thinking Shazam is bad

Shawi

Noob
If you crouch the second hit, yes...

You cannot D1 Shazam out of 22~command throw unless you block the second hit crouching. There is no way to interrupt unless you do so.

1. If you block the second hit crouching, you can use a 6 frame D1 to beat the high command throw and the torpedo.

2. 22~Low throw will ALWAYS beat the interrupt attempt. They can stand up and cause the low throw to whiff.

SO...

If the opponent tries to interrupt with any standing attack or block, command throw.

If the opponent tries to crouch or BD, torpedo.

If the opponent wants to mash D1 or uppercut, low throw.
*Rant Begin* Seriously Tom? So actually it is a 33:33:33 like I initially mentioned (despite it being for the wrong reasons). I feel like you are digging a hole that you are very stuck in. I suggest we leave the whole idea of shazam being good and honestly stick to the fact that he is as viable as a tree. I mean come on, 37% for 1 bar!!!! How much damage can lobo do for 1 bar tom? How much can aquaman do for 1 bar? Batman? BLACK ADAM?? The flash? Grundy?

Okay even if you want to say it is 50:50, fine. But the trade just isn't worth it for shazam, even with this fake 'reset' you talk about. The opponent has options, therefore not a 'reset'.

We will keep working with shazam and with the tools he has. If we want to sit between ourselves and discuss buffs etc, we can do so. We are not 'crying' but simply discussing. *Rant over*

woah, that really was a rant!

If an opponent has no options but to eat the next move, that's *not* a reset. It's unavoidable damage.

How much does doomsday combo for again? Does that make him bad?

Honestly I think people are crying. If, after you have been maining shazam for 6 months (really should be 12 months to 2 years if other FG are anything to go by) and found out everything there is to know and the character is CLEARLY arse, then and only then does anyone have a reason to start thinking buffs.

Sadly the almighty dollar means we are likely to get balance changes before a metagame can be fleshed out.

Compared to Superman 70% combos and Bladam 55% combos I wouldn't say that's great at all.

Yes they do.

Yeah sure Shazam gets his mixup game, but a 50/50 game where the risk reward is NOT in your favor is never good. Again, look at Scorpion.
how can you compare a straight unblockable 50 /50 in which you have to wake up to a predictable cross up on wake please?
there's i s no comparison, this is coming from the guy who said aquaman was bad because hes bnb starter was unsafe forgetting he had a get out of jail free card with his trait.
i mean you switched to black adam but youre not doing half as well as you did with aquaman.
a lot of the people here have no idea how a games life cycle works.
the easy to use simple game plan characters will always come out on top as in the games early life cycle.
but as time goes on the more indepth characters with hidden tech come to the top.
i mean people getting beat by such a simple gameplan as f23 breath is beyond no one has gone into he lab to learn to back dash breath.
so far a lot of you here are just lazy and quick to call a character bad get in the lab.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
how can you compare a straight unblockable 50 /50 in which you have to wake up to a predictable cross up on wake please?
there's i s no comparison, this is coming from the guy who said aquaman was bad because hes bnb starter was safe forgetting he had a get out of jail free card with his trait.
i mean you switched to black adam but youre not doing half as well as you did with aquaman.
a lot of the people here have no idea how a games life cycle works.
the easy to use simple game plan characters will always come out on top as in the games early life cycle.
but as time goes on the more indepth characters with hidden tech come to the top.
i mean people getting beat by such a simple gameplan as f23 breath is beyond no one has gone into he lab to learn to back dash breath.
so far a lot of you here are just lazy and quick to call a character bad get in the lab.
Only a few can backdash after breath.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
A lot of Tom's answers seem to include "make a read, and punish" as if making a correct read is a simple thing to do. The player on the defensive will also be making reads, it's not as simple as he makes it sound. Especially when you have characters like Superman, BA, etc. who can take far less risks for comparable damage and setups.
It has nothing to do with being easy to do. Reading your opponent is necessary to win against a good opponent. If you fail to read your opponents, then you will fail to win.

On a side note, I am learning a lot from this thread :D

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
*Rant Begin* Seriously Tom? So actually it is a 33:33:33 like I initially mentioned (despite it being for the wrong reasons). I feel like you are digging a hole that you are very stuck in. I suggest we leave the whole idea of shazam being good and honestly stick to the fact that he is as viable as a tree. I mean come on, 37% for 1 bar!!!! How much damage can lobo do for 1 bar tom? How much can aquaman do for 1 bar? Batman? BLACK ADAM?? The flash? Grundy?

Okay even if you want to say it is 50:50, fine. But the trade just isn't worth it for shazam, even with this fake 'reset' you talk about. The opponent has options, therefore not a 'reset'.

We will keep working with shazam and with the tools he has. If we want to sit between ourselves and discuss buffs etc, we can do so. We are not 'crying' but simply discussing. *Rant over*

Okay....

Have you seen ANYBODY else trying to help Shazam players out?
Be thankful for what help you do get. Just because Bradys way might not work the way you like it, doesn't mean that you can't go in the lab yourself and tweak his shit.

Right now Shazam has potential to only be as low tier as the amount of effort his players put into finding his shit out.

I thought WW was a fish, but now I've constructed a fuck load of tech with her. Try do the same.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Seriously Shazam isn't bad guys. I have no idea where you are getting the idea from. He needs a little bit of a fix, but he definitely gets good damage in combos. I can get 34% into a command grab vortex...fuck with that. If you don't want to get hit out of 22 then don't use it. Shazam has plenty of great normals.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Seriously Shazam isn't bad guys. I have no idea where you are getting the idea from. He needs a little bit of a fix, but he definitely gets good damage in combos. I can get 34% into a command grab vortex...fuck with that. If you don't want to get hit out of 22 then don't use it. Shazam has plenty of great normals.
He isn't bad.

But hes not good either.

Hes just there.

Dann

Noob
He isn't bad.

But hes not good either.

Hes just there.
This is irrelevant. the point is to show people who like the character, use the character or want to use the character some tech. Not to discuss wether he is good or not. he hasn't been explored thoroughly and what I got from the video is that if you do not know how to fight shazam you will get blown up by shazam.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
90+% of you in this thread don't play in offline tournaments. Stop treating every piece of useful tech as a way to prove a character isn't as good as another. It's obnoxious and childish.

Here's TB trying to be helpful and most of you who are online randoms (read: non tournament players) try to blow him up. Grow the fuck up and learn to discuss an idea without blowing up the person who started the conversation.

Most of you guys have latched on with a death grip to the idea that the characters who are considered top tier are definitively, proven top tier and there's no room for anyone else and the top tier can't be changed, ever.

The only way to change who's considered top tier is to have conversations like the one Tom Brady tried to start here. Bitching is NOT considered constructive criticism, so stop doing it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dust.

Noob
I gotta agree with Tom Brady. Some characters are just designed as mixup characters. It doesn't mean they are bad at all. High risk high reward. Look at Super Skrull in UMVC3, he's one of the riskiest characters but you still see him in top level tournament play.

Some characters are good at zoning/keepaway, some are good at pressure/rushdown, it just so happens that Shazam is a vortex/mixup character. Not all characters should have the same design, that would make this game boring as hell.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
In all honesty, I think he's fine the way he is. And if he does get a buff, I think it should be full invincibility to projectiles on his teleport. His damage is fine for a vortex character. His normals are really good, aside from his b2 being kind of wonky sometimes. Adam gets big damage because if Adam hits you, you've done something to mess up. Adam doesn't have high/lows or 50/50s that lead into big damage unless you do some serious setting up before hand, and even then it's just a cross up.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It has nothing to do with being easy to do. Reading your opponent is necessary to win against a good opponent. If you fail to read your opponents, then you will fail to win.

On a side note, I am learning a lot from this thread :D
That's basically what I just said...

AnaboliChris

Master of Magnetism
Tom Brady, appreciate you making that video. I like how Shazam plays thats why I chose to main him despite what other people say. But I do have some concerns regarding some of his moves, especially teleport and his torpedo.

Teleport:
Teleport needs to go through projectiles..at this point I think its pretty much useless unless you just want to close in on space. But I can just close in with dash...so dont really know what uses his teleport has at this moment.

Torpedo:
Torpedo regular is fine..but his meter burn should go through projectiles.

Bolt of Zeus [Projectile]:
His projectile meter burned is pretty useless too IMO...start up is WAY TOO SLOW. If you want to go full screen fireball fights its definitely best not to use the meter burn unless you want to get pegged to death. So whats the meter burn projectile used for? Shit is too slow...

Hope someone can address my concerns lol.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink

Dude, your logic that u need big dmg combos to be a good character is wrong. Kabal is a good example

Shawi

Noob
Dude, your logic that u need big dmg combos to be a good character is wrong. Kabal is a good example
Never said it was needed for a good character. I said for Shazam, as a 50:50 mixup character, he needs big damage to make his 50:50 worth it. Vs Black adam if you make the wrong read - 50%+ easy. If you make the right read you get 37% #Balanced.

SLy

Noob
If people are complaining about his 50/50's then maybe the characterjust isn't for you. It takes certain mindsets to play certain characters. Just because you cant get adjusted to it doesn't mean he's bad. There are people who do very well in making good reads consistently.. Then there are people that dont. But they carry to much pride to believe that maybe its not the character but the player itself.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Shazam is a character that suffers in an online atmosphere. Of course hes bad! I'm really loving this character. Hes the only character I use that I feel has potential to beat everything character as long as I make the correct reads. Hes very rewarding if you're a thinking type of player.