What's new

Still Want to Play the Destiny Beta? No Code? Look Inside!

E

Eldriken

Is this a joke? Spent 2-3 clips just bringing down the Wizard's shield. Sniped it near the head, not being sure of a headshot and the mission ending countdown started, it basically only took 1 sniper headshot to bring it from full health to 0.
Wizards have a high shield capacity to compensate for their lack of health.

Any enemy with shields tends to have more shields than health, but that mainly applies to the Wizard. Captains have slightly more health and are a bit harder to take down.

Use an auto rifle/automatic rifle to drop their shields and then OHKO them with a sniper rifle bullet to the head.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
This game is so fucking amazing... and it's only a BETA.

Finally a game on the xbox one that isn't mediocre or just plain ass. Can't wait for September!!

AssassiN

Noob
It's also that BL2 is a much more inferior game than BL1. If you want the true Borderlands experience then play the first one. 2 has a lot of faults and stupid shit.
Except for the disappointing bossfight and ending of the first one.
The General Knoxx DLC is how it should have been. Liked BL2 though.

I'm just gonna wait for the PC release.

I'm unfortunately really disappointed in this. I'll wait for the full release so people can tell me if the upgrade system is a bit more extensive, but if it's not VASTLY improved, it's a no buy for me.

For the game to work, it needs incentive to level up- that incentive is cool gear and power up- those create both the willingness for me to do more missions to aquire them, and they also spice up those missions by letting me play in different ways based on each new toy I've got from previously leveling up.

But so far on my Titan class, the upgrades are boooring. There's no incentive to level up, because the upgrades aren't a big deal, and then the combat itself becomes stale because of that as well.

Just as a comparison, here are the different ways I can upgrade my grenade in Destiny so far:
  1. Concussion
  2. Pulse
  3. Lightning
And HERE are the different possible grenades I can get in Borderlands. Not only are there more, but the effects of each are VASTLY more different and interesting from one another:
  1. Bouncing Betties
  2. Longbow
  3. MIRVs
  4. Contact
  5. Proximity
  6. Rain grenades
  7. Rubberized
  8. Sticky
  9. Transfusion
The same applies to everything else in terms of character powers. The characters go by the classic "Warrior", "Rogue", and "Mage" setup, but their skill trees are all so small, that instead of each having several different sub-specialties, it appears reaching the level cap just gets you all there is. There aren't enough different skills to have different sub-sections without each sub-section feeling too dull, so they just lumped it all into one. There's just not enough stuff to make combat more diverse, and that means no incentive to shoot stuff so I can gain upgrades to shoot stuff in different ways.

The big features are dynamic events, and dynamic multiplayer matching, but these are things that would enhance an experience, not make it. If they sold me a Borderlands-type RPG/FPS mix with those dynamic event/matchmaking features, this would be an AMAZING game. But all it offers are these new features that ultimately do nothing because there is really nothing for them to bolster. Dynamic events don't mean anything if the ensuing fight and the way I fight isn't interesting. Dynamic multiplayer doesn't mean anything if the classes themselves aren't unique and complimentary enough to each other- the skill sets are too shallow for that.

To drive the comparison further against Destiny, think of the most interesting thing you can do with the Titan class, then compare it with my Borderlands skill tree:

This class plays soooooo differently than any other class- and each different class also plays extremely differently from each other. In turn, each of those classes have at least several different ways you can play them, so at the very least, you have 12 extremely varied classes with extremely different play styles. No more than 4 seconds of combat goes by when I'm fighting in a similar way to any other class, because my ability recharges in 4 seconds tops during combat.

I can't say the same for the Destiny classes. Main skill cooldown is long enough that your combat style really doesn't completely revolve around it. More often than it should, the way you fight doesn't feel specific to your class.

You can say "oh, well in Destiny you're playing the boring Warrior/Titan class instead of the more interesting Mage or Rogue class", but in Borderlands 2, the Gunzerker IS the equivalent to the Warrior class, and it's STILL very interesting. I can say the same for the Beserker class in the previous game.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I felt like hte beta was perfect to attract someone like me who wasnt' sure.

I don't expect the classes to be as narrowed.... especially since we only got a small taste of the weapons and such.

I had fun with it... that is all that matters.

E

Eldriken

Keep in mind that we only got access to one of three sub classes. More open up at 15.

My problem is even the classes there themselves aren't fun enough. If there are 2 other sub classes for each, it won't matter if they're 2 equally boring sub classes.

The abilities charge sooooo slow that your class only comes into play occassionally during combat. The differences aren't huge enough to constantly be informing my decisions. 90% of the time I found myself playing this like a typical FPS- shoot everything that moves. The other 10% was spent using one of my three abilities so I could actually play differently than other players.

It needs to be the other way around, 90% of my time should be spent playing my class in a way that no one with that same class can play, with the other 10% being the stock gunplay and shooting that everyone participates in.

They need to make it so theres' no more than 10 seconds of cooldown on any skill- if my main skill is used only once every minute in combat, then it's hardly informing the way I play my character- it's really just a bonus add-on.

E

Eldriken

My problem is even the classes there themselves aren't fun enough. If there are 2 other sub classes for each, it won't matter if they're 2 equally boring sub classes.

The abilities charge sooooo slow that your class only comes into play occassionally during combat. The differences aren't huge enough to constantly be informing my decisions. 90% of the time I found myself playing this like a typical FPS- shoot everything that moves. The other 10% was spent using one of my three abilities so I could actually play differently than other players.

It needs to be the other way around, 90% of my time should be spent playing my class in a way that no one with that same class can play, with the other 10% being the stock gunplay and shooting that everyone participates in.

They need to make it so theres' no more than 10 seconds of cooldown on any skill- if my main skill is used only once every minute in combat, then it's hardly informing the way I play my character- it's really just a bonus add-on.
There are weapon/gear upgrades that reduce the cooldown of your skills by using melee attacks and various other things. You just have to find them.

Besides, this is a beta, dude. A lot of things are likely to change come release.

I agree that upgrading your skills in your tree takes entirely too long, but that may have just been for the beta to keep you playing. You can't expect to have everything fully unlocked/upgraded in a few days.

There are weapon/gear upgrades that reduce the cooldown of your skills by using melee attacks and various other things. You just have to find them.

Besides, this is a beta, dude. A lot of things are likely to change come release.
Hopefully this is the case. If I see people getting enough gear that they can go crazy with their classes, that will definitely make it a buy for me.

Like, the Titan's ground pound is a simple skill, but it changes the gameplay soooo much- if only I could use it more than once a year. It's similar to the Diablo 2 warrior leaping attack. It allows you to get in the fray to deal damage, but because of the massive leap distance, you can also use it to get out when your taking too much damage- you become a hit-and-run monster from just one skill. But that only worked because the charge time on it was like 5 seconds. You could use it to leap past range attacks to get in without taking much damage, then after heavy fighting, leap out into cover to use some potions and regain health. It gave depth, but a fast cooldown was critical to this strategy working.

E

Eldriken

Hopefully this is the case. If I see people getting enough gear that they can go crazy with their classes, that will definitely make it a buy for me.

Like, the Titan's ground pound is a simple skill, but it changes the gameplay soooo much- if only I could use it more than once a year. It's similar to the Diablo 2 warrior leaping attack. It allows you to get in the fray to deal damage, but because of the massive leap distance, you can also use it to get out when your taking too much damage- you become a hit-and-run monster from just one skill. But that only worked because the charge time on it was like 5 seconds. You could use it to leap past range attacks to get in without taking much damage, then after heavy fighting, leap out into cover to use some potions and regain health. It gave depth, but a fast cooldown was critical to this strategy working.
I had some gear that restored my grenade's cooldown whenever I would melee enemies. I already had a melee upgrade that restored some of the CD itself, but that was another CD itself, so it could only be used every so often.

I could melee a few times after throwing a grenade and it would be ready to go again. I could toss one every few seconds if there were enough enemies around.

I believe I saw some equipment that allowed your super move to recharge quicker as well, but I could be wrong. But if super moves are able to be used a lot more frequently after certain gear is acquired, they might wanna tone down the Warlock and Titan's super move.