What's new

Steve Beran gives hint at MKX online mode being "the biggest online thing we've ever done"

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
This was my guess also, something like MKD Konquest multiplayer mode with players challenging each other for control of some realms/territories
That was my first thought when I read the Thread title. I think it's going to be something like that, but you would obviously go into the 2D fighting mode when challenged. People might talk about lag, but that may only affect the, "open world" and not the actual stage you fight on.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
I like being proved wrong, because to do so, you have to bring your fucking best to the table to convince me otherwise. So that being said, I don't have high expectations at all for NRS's netcode, given the hyped up version we had for Injustice, and look how that turned out

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but MK9's online is actually pretty good right now since they switched from gamespy...

If it's as simple as that, all they have to do is not put their stuff in the hands of a shit company.

If they're hyping up they're online system this much then I would assume they will be bringing the absolute best they can in terms of netcode/online play.

If they really want this online system to take off and be important to people, then they will most certainly make sure that it is playable!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm sure NRS is aware of the past netcode issues and focused on that as their #1 priority. I have faith in them.

As far as something new, I'd put my money on their being some sort of MMORPG mode within online.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about any side modes. I want good netcode, incredibly designed characters (with lots of skins, don't even care if I have to pay for them. Take my money!), a practice mode as good as or better than Injustice.....and Ermac. That's all I care about.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'll believe it when I see it. I remember that Injustice was supposed to have amazing online for about 6 months before it was released and then in the last two weeks before launch the development liaisons were running around qualifying the shit out of those statements.

Until I have it in my hands and it doesn't suck, I assume NRS's big plan for MKX online is to manufacture a game so laggy it actually causes space-time to collapse on itself to form a singularity and destroy the world. Real talk.

I just really don't want to hear anyone say "the net code is awesome, your connection just sucks". Well no shit. This is America, our internet connectivity is about ten years behind the rest of the developed world. I look at it this way: Soulcalibur V was a game with no budget and a hilariously rushed development cycle. I felt lag maybe once out of every 20 games (and half the time it was for like three seconds of ONE round... hell, a huge amount of people who did really well in the tournament scene were actually trained up online the net code was so good). I never had a problem reacting to anything and it never interfered with combos OR my motherfucking just frames, OR my motherfucking just guard.

And that was all on my 'shitty connection'. So I don't really think a game like MKX has any reason for delivering even vaguely crappy net code if Project Soul can do it with no budget, time and little concern... while still churning out a game with better balance than the last two NRS endeavors.

That turned into a rant way faster than I thought it would.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'll believe it when I see it. I remember that Injustice was supposed to have amazing online for about 6 months before it was released and then in the last two weeks before launch the development liaisons were running around qualifying the shit out of those statements.

Until I have it in my hands and it doesn't suck, I assume NRS's big plan for MKX online is to manufacture a game so laggy it actually causes space-time to collapse on itself to form a singularity and destroy the world. Real talk.
LOL that was awesomely worded.
Thank you. I laughed greatly.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
The console doesn't dictate whether the netcode is bad or good. It's the actual code and how it's designed. Killer instinct runs very well because it uses a rollback style netcode. NRS games tend to have the input delay system to mask the latency. You don't get missing frames, broken frames or rollback issues but the inputs are substantially delayed which makes their games unplayable online, unless you call playing while drowning in quicksand good netplay.
It actually does matter for one reason : NRS isn't handling these ports.

(In so far as next gen is concerned KI is THE example of netcode so that's why I say there's no reason NRS wouldn't look to it and why it works - We'll see what they do though and hopefully it doesn't suck.)

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
I wish half the people beating the ggpo drum had ever written a single line of code.
I did probably in millions by now. Care to elaborate what you don't like about ggpo from programmer standpoint? In my opinion it's still the best way to go with netcode in FG atm (ofc not ideal).

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Just focus on the damn netcode. Get that flawless first, then start adding crazy huge modes. If the online sucks, we will have a horrible experience no matter how good the online game modes are.

trufenix

bye felicia
I did probably in millions by now. Care to elaborate what you don't like about ggpo from programmer standpoint? In my opinion it's still the best way to go with netcode in FG atm (ofc not ideal).
Never said I don't like ggpo. Love ggpo. Love the idea, love the execution. However, GGPO is not a magical library you just drop in the middle of your code, hit compile and it magically makes your online better. It's top to bottom integrated with your game which is the reason there are only a handful of games that use it.

In fact, it hasn't even been proven to be possible with an actual current gen game. It might not be. I don't know a single UE3 game with rollback. Do you? Do you think anyone from the top of wb to the bottom of NRS would be satisfied dropping resolution or framerate so the tiniest % of the online accuracy will go from 75% to 99%?

Immortal

Blind justice....
Never said I don't like ggpo. Love ggpo. Love the idea, love the execution. However, GGPO is not a magical library you just drop in the middle of your code, hit compile and it magically makes your online better. It's top to bottom integrated with your game which is the reason there are only a handful of games that use it.
That's true, however since i messed several times with ggpo over past few years it's not that hard to build around it. On the other hand it's probably very hard to integrate it with a game that wasn't designed from the start with ggpo in mind.

In fact, it hasn't even been proven to be possible with an actual current gen game. It might not be.
Actually it has been done several times already on past and next gen consoles - Skull Girls and Killer Instinct appropriately as examples from the top of my head.

I don't know a single UE3 game with rollback. Do you? Do you think anyone from the top of wb to the bottom of NRS would be satisfied dropping resolution or framerate so the tiniest % of the online accuracy will go from 75% to 99%?
Never heard about any UE3 or even upcoming UE4 based games with ggpo, to my knowledge on how UE is designed in general - it would be extremely hard or in other words extremely time consuming to make it works. On the other hand NRS is a big studio and i can only assume they have like dozen or so programmers, so i guess it's possible if they would commit to this idea. General issue with ggpo or any other rollback system is that it's heavy on cpu, all possibilities need to be calculated, buffered and adjusted on the fly.

That being said in my personal opinion ggpo (or similar rollback system) is the future of any online mode in fighting games.

However keeping in mind that MK X is in development for like 1,5 year now and they said it's gonna be 1080p @60 fps its safe to assume that the game isn't based around ggpo which is unfortunate. We will have to wait and see what they did with netcode, hopefully its still gonna be a significant improvement over the one in Injustice which was only slighty better then the one in MK9 which in general is considered to be quite bad.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
That's true, however since i messed several times with ggpo over past few years it's not that hard to build around it. On the other hand it's probably very hard to integrate it with a game that wasn't designed from the start with ggpo in mind.
Well, that's the core issue. People say PUT GGPO IN IT when we're talking about a sequel that uses 50% or more resources from its predecessor. You simply can't just take Tekken or MK or Virtua Fighter and just drop ggpo on it like its hot. You'd need to tear said game apart and rebuild it. This is not a realistic sentiment for most sequels / expansions. Capcom couldn't even do it with USF4, when they'd already done it with SFxT, which is based on the exact same engine.

Actually it has been done several times already on past and next gen consoles - Skull Girls and Killer Instinct appropriately as examples from the top of my head.
Skullgirls is neither previous gen, next gen, current gen or system intensive in any regard, it runs silky smooth on pcs that couldn't even show screenshots of MKX. And both those titles were built from scratch with rollback in mind. KI has the added bonus of being developed for a single release on a single platform. I'll grant that Ki certainly hits the mark for technology impressive and rollbacked, but again day one, before the first line of code was written, rollback plans were already made. The same thing happened with SFxT and Dive Kick. But this is not the same scenario as most of the fighters out there, certainly not MKX which is running on a heavily modified engine not designed for fighters in the first place that's almost 10 years old.

Never heard about any UE3 or even upcoming UE4 based games with ggpo, to my knowledge on how UE is designed in general - it would be extremely hard or in other words extremely time consuming to make it works. On the other hand NRS is a big studio and i can only assume they have like dozen or so programmers, so i guess it's possible if they would commit to this idea. General issue with ggpo or any other rollback system is that it's heavy on cpu, all possibilities need to be calculated, buffered and adjusted on the fly.
I don't know much about UE3 (can't afford a license and never looked into old UE), but I can tell you that Unity, Torque, and many other packages out there are not ready for state based ggpo like technology without a rewrite and thats the divide. Saying "put ggpo in it" is saying "tear your game apart and pray it goes back together for the 1%". No studio is going to take that bet.

That being said in my personal opinion ggpo (or similar rollback system) is the future of any online mode in fighting games.
On that I absolutely agree. I feel all fighters SHOULD adopt this model. However, I similarly feel that the network architects at work at NRS know a little bit more about their engine than kids playing 20 year old fighters on supercade. People think GGPO is just a magic silver bullet. It isn't. Not yet.

However keeping in mind that MK X is in development for like 1,5 year now and they said it's gonna be 1080p @60 fps its safe to assume that the game isn't based around ggpo which is unfortunate. We will have to wait and see what they did with netcode, hopefully its still gonna be a significant improvement over the one in Injustice which was only slighty better then the one in MK9 which in general is considered to be quite bad.
I'm inclined to believe if rollback was happening, it would've been on page one. NRS knows how shit their netcode has been, from Deception all the way to now, they have never done as good a job as their constituents and their community has let them know time and time again about their disappointment. But, they also have to weigh the amount of work it would be with the fact that their games are tremendously successful, even without. NRS isn't just like 10 dudes in a basement making their dream game while mommy and daddy pay for college or on their breaks at a real job. They're people who live and die by their ability to make a quality product in a realistic time frame.

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
With WB as NRS's suga mama.. The nrs guys can do whatever the fuck they want.. Just PLEASE remember team NRS

" NETCODE "

Everyone seems to think this will distract NRS from focusing on good netcode- yet I don't see how this would do anything but make them pay more attention to how good their netcode will be.

I doubt they're going to put alot of money into building a shiny new car, but neglect to also put an good engine under the hood

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
Everyone seems to think this will distract NRS from focusing on good netcode- yet I don't see how this would do anything but make them pay more attention to how good their netcode will be.

I doubt they're going to put alot of money into building a shiny new car, but neglect to also put an good engine under the hood
Its been let down after let down for years bro, concerning the online play.. Im just gonna try not to expect to much, tis all.

I wish I could comment on the chances of implementing GGPO or the logistics of it, however shockingly, I just did a google search and can't find ANY documentation of GGPO.

Like... WAT??? It's a networking library, but no online documentation???

*flips over table*

Its been let down after let down for years bro, concerning the online play.. Im just gonna try not to expect to much, tis all.
Well MK9 netcode was terribad, then Injustice netcode was bad...

So even pessimistically assuming NRS keeps improving at this slow rate, by the time MKX rolls out, they will have finally achieved "kinda ok"- level of netcode.

So hooray for it probably being at least passable....

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm thinking it's one of the above:

A. Worldwide tournament mode (with spectator option) perhaps some kind of voting/betting option like Injustice on the winner, if you're right you win koins or something.

B. Tournament with regional options and worldwide options.

C. Some kind of team thing with "good" vs. "evil" or perhaps as someone else mentioned choose which realm you want to represent and have war with other worldwide players to see which realm overall is winning.

D. Some kind of worldwide REGIONAL season kind of like the World Series/World Cup or Baseball Classic where the entire world is involved in online tournaments/seasons, with playoffs and spectators who don't wish to participate can watch and vote, win stuff. While teams involved/players etc win koins, rank etc

E. Some kind of worldwide real map where you can free style/free roam the world and challenge people directly in that area of the world, they can also do this via MKU worlds too a la Earthrealm=USA, North America and Mexico region. Outworld is South America, Africa region. Chaosrealm is middleeast, australia. Canada is orderrealm etc