What's new

Steve Beran gives hint at MKX online mode being "the biggest online thing we've ever done"

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
While we can only cross our fingers and hope that Mortal Kombat X's netcode will be a major improvement from Mortal Kombat (2011), it seems NetherRealm Studios has the biggest plans they've ever had. Playstation Access caught up with NetherRealm Studios' Steve Beran at E3 and asked about their take on the competitive scene as well as their online mode.

Granted, at this point NRS is not ready to release any concrete details, but Steve did budge in saying that their online mode is the "biggest online thing we've ever done". Whatever it is, I am sure we will absolutely love it. What do you think it could be?

Source: Playstation Access via EventHubs

Attachments

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
I mean I'm baffled, other than drastically improving the netcode, I have no idea what they will do. They did say they are aiming for a persistent online game, but that could mean a lot of things.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Wait haven't they said that since... they unveiled the game? I get that we're starved for news here but c'mon.

Mst

Noob
Good Netcode, Online Training, Ranked and unranked Match Making, Endless Battles, Replay System, Online Tournament System maybe with weekly Events where ppl can earn extra Stuff Costumes, Icons or whatever. Thanks!

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
I feel like it has to do with the story. Kinda like the Last of Us multiplayer how there were two sides. Or maybe the online mode is like its own Mortal Kombat tournament where every win and loss with each character is kept track of and there are different seasons that each last like a month. Kinda like how they kept track of things in Injustice. That way all of the Sub Zeros (or any character) come together to win each tournament as a whole.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
A World Tournament Mode everyone can sign up for. Every user gets the option to enlist into a tournament and be put into a mega bracket the system creates.

What other big things can you do for a fighting game?

I think in their attempt to add special online features, it will create a plethora of problems. I wonder if they are going to implement Clan Creation or something of that nature.

Hopefully, there won't be dumb WBID related things that forces me to grind on the iOS/Android game.

Built in online tournaments would be awesome. Anyone remember Championship mode from vanilla SF4? Something like that would be tits.

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
If the netcode is good (and next generation hardware nearly dictates it will be), then I suspect this game will be the reason I struggle to book a vacation flight. . .

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
This is cool and I'm happy NRS is doing cool stuff, but seriously...any additions to online play won't mean shit if there's 12 seconds of lag.

Netcode should be their #1 priority. Not saying it isn't. Just saying it should be.