The Kove = Left corner has walls/right corner no walls
Refugee Kamp = Both corners have walls
Quan Chi Fortress = Left corner no walls/right corner has walls
Dead Woods = No corner walls
Sky Temple = Left corner no walls/right corners has walls
:DLin Kuei Temple = Both corners have walls
Training Room = No corner walls
\
Holy shit, this is awesome haha. Thanks man.

So there is no match up thread here so I thought I'd put this here.

Sonya cannot deal with ice clone in the corner at all it seems. But she can deal with the follow ups with the parry. She can even parry throws which I did not know you can do.

Last edited:

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Ok, so what variation should be used that can punish block strings cancelled into ice clones?
From what I understand, I have seen people go pick special forces against gm subzero....I'm assuming it's due to using missile in conjunction with bf2 to force the opponent into attack....From there, you can try to punish in the spacing game to get the knockdown...And then run safe mixups until you win....I don't know the matchup personally....But that's how I would approach it...I should sit down against sub to see what she can do u though

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
From what I understand, I have seen people go pick special forces against gm subzero....I'm assuming it's due to using missile in conjunction with bf2 to force the opponent into attack....From there, you can try to punish in the spacing game to get the knockdown...And then run safe mixups until you win....I don't know the matchup personally....But that's how I would approach it...I should sit down against sub to see what she can do u though
yeah like if your playing sonya, you HAVE to learn special forces......it's the only way you can guarantee an even mu with subzero, in covert ops you literally get shit on.

lslick

yeah like if your playing sonya, you HAVE to learn special forces......it's the only way you can guarantee an even mu with subzero, in covert ops you literally get shit on.
How would you approach the gm subzero mu? Is it anything like what I said or do I have it wrong?

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I've been toying with Sonya. Covert Ops and Demo. Demo interests me because of the potential to stifle wakeups with a well placed grenade and I've seen it have some pretty big damage, plus I think the drone reload is awesome, silly I know.

But I have been having issues with the df1EX in the corner. I'm doing it off of b14 and b332 starters. Sometimes it full launches granting a njp, other times it only partially launches causing me to whiff the njp. At first I thought it was because I was hugging the opponent too much but even when I started from a few steps from the corner I've gotten inconsistent results. Anyone else have this issue or see something I'm not quite doing.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
How would you approach the gm subzero mu? Is it anything like what I said or do I have it wrong?
No that's pretty much right, at fullscreen you destroy subzero in the zoning war, you just have to destroy clone whenever you get a chance.....the only thing is you have to be weary of slide because he can go under homing shot rather easily.

HDTran

Just a guy.
Realistically speaking--like @SidTheHaze has already been saying--Special Forces Sonya is where it's at (and I'm so glad that people figured out a way). You need to learn this variation if you want to play Sonya against many match-ups. Covert Ops Sonya just lets you derp over characters who can't handle it.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
Realistically speaking--like @SidTheHaze has already been saying--Special Forces Sonya is where it's at (and I'm so glad that people figured out a way). You need to learn this variation if you want to play Sonya against many match-ups. Covert Ops Sonya just lets you derp over characters who can't handle it.
also if your not comfortable with mirror matches, special forces sonya WRECKS covert ops sonya.

lslick

is there a way I can record matches on the xbox one or should I just Plug up my Elgato to record them?
The game records your last few matches....And the xbox one has a record feature....I forgot how it works exactly since it's been a while but I got to work on KI back when the game first came out

lslick

I'm pretty emo about fighting Kitana in Covert Ops. Is it supposed to be rough for her in this variation?
Which variation are you playing against?
General tips against Kitana:
1. Her fans hit high so you can just duck them without blocking and they will go over you

2. She doesn't have the best mixups. Her overhead is really slow and it causes a knockdown so she can't extend it. Her lows are pretty slow as well. She only has a few strings where she has a low in it. So you can literally crouch block against her and react to the overhead. Her B14 is safe. Her B143 is kind of safe but it gets blown up against fast reversal options. She gets a knockdown from that string. 3D4 is punishable on block and if she hits you, she only gets a knockdown. F442 also goes into a low that only causes a knockdown as well F442 is kind of safe at -7 against some characters.

3. Crouching pokes aren't that good either. D1 is punishable on block. D2 is ok. D3 is her low poke that doesn't net much. D4 has the longest range of the four I mentioned. Her B4 low profiles pretty well. I have seen her low profile jump-ins.

4. Her wakeups are very risky. The universal ones are punishable. The only safe one she has are ex shadow kick and I believe ex glaive but those are in mournful variation. Ex shadow kick is -7 while ex glaive is -2

5. She can delay her descent with the air float so she can be tricky to antiair. So you are going to have to react to it. You can always just block or backdash out of the situation if you are waking up or playing the spacing game against her.

6. Against fan spam, neutral jump works really well. Walking and just blocking works good too as well as running and cancelling your run with block to close the gap between the two of you. If you are neutral jumping, be careful of her throwing air fans or glaives. And if you guess right and she whiffs a fan, you can always dive kick her for a free combo.

7. Also she has no interruptible strings

*Keep in mind, I have limited experience against her. I hope this helps you in the Kitana MU :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

lslick

Like someone mentioned in here, we should start a MU thread. Reserve a few post for general tips against characters and we can have a consolidated area with all the info

It was my first time fighting Kitana. I very high level one in Assassin. It was tough to pin her down. I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks.

Dedlock

Noob
I have to agree about covert ops unable to deal with GM sub-zero I tried and tried won only one round, i came close to sealing the deal and something always go goes wrong and I end up on a,bed of ice spikes.

He goes and picks cryomancer and.I.win with ease but after he reverts back to.grand master I'm f^cked, it looks like I'm gonna hasten picking up/learning of special forces because it's a need at this point.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Keep grinding out the covert ops Grandmaster match up you guys. Even if you have special forces, if you get counter picked you're going to want to be able to close it out anyway. Also even if it is tough, I bet dealing with that clone in that way will do wonders for your fundamentals.

Espio

Kokomo
I don't really care for covert ops so for me, I just naturally played Special Forces against Grandmaster Sub-Zero due to my preference for SF.

I consider drone to be such an equalizer because it's pretty much like Sonya's own "ice clone" so to speak to counter his ability to keep her out and turtle effectively. The match up goes from feeling daunting to somewhat fun when you have a much bigger incentive for Sub to come to you instead of just restricting you so heavily with ice clone.

I agree with Soapbox though, for people who are focused on covert ops I'd still keep grinding it out to get better at the match up, that's what I plan to do even if I feel like SF Sonya struggles against a certain character.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I don't really care for covert ops so for me, I just naturally played Special Forces against Grandmaster Sub-Zero due to my preference for SF.

I consider drone to be such an equalizer because it's pretty much like Sonya's own "ice clone" so to speak to counter his ability to keep her out and turtle effectively. The match up goes from feeling daunting to somewhat fun when you have a much bigger incentive for Sub to come to you instead of just restricting you so heavily with ice clone.

I agree with Soapbox though, for people who are focused on covert ops I'd still keep grinding it out to get better at the match up, that's what I plan to do even if I feel like SF Sonya struggles against a certain character.
Yeah I feel the same way about Special Forces, it's just what I originally wanted to play. But yeah I'm actually worried that people are just going to switch variations whenever they struggle a little bit and not really flesh things out. I'm hoping people really grind things out.

Yeah I feel the same way about Special Forces, it's just what I originally wanted to play. But yeah I'm actually worried that people are just going to switch variations whenever they struggle a little bit and not really flesh things out. I'm hoping people really grind things out.[/QUOTE
It's like trying to "grind out" boxing a 90's Mike Tyson though.

You're just better off with special forces if you want to run Sonya v. the strong zoners.

My only complaint about SF is the piddly damage and how many reads you have to make.

lslick

Ok here are some notes I have messing around GM Subzero:
Here are some options against blockstrings that go into ice clones:
F42 ~ Ice clone = reversal energy ring gets rid of the clone before sub can block
reversal ex arc kick blows up the ice clone and hits sub before he can block
B12 ~ Ice clone = reversal energy ring
reversal ex arc kick
B33 ~ Ice clone = reversal energy ring
reversal ex arc kick
F33 ~ Ice clone = reversal energy ring
reversal ex arc kick
reversal ex leg grab

Shattering an ice clone is safe on block so you have to respect it

Ice clones can be destroyed by projectiles

If the opponent hides behind the clone and tries to throw an ice balls at you, you can try to reversal the ice ball on block since you can block in time before it hits you

*That's all I have at the moment =[

Dedlock

Noob
When he's got an ice clone the ice ball is always going to come out and when he notices I'm making my way for the dive kick he shatters the frigginn clone on my face.

I think the best thing to do as covert ops is to just stay away and bide your time building your meter by parrying at a distance, catching him with ex energy rings and ex arc kick and when he's ready to fight it's. 50/50! Lol!

You know it's times like these when Sonya's square wave punch (that is now permanently kidnapped by Kitana)would have been very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.