What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demolitions is soooooo much fun. I think it can be quite good too.

It's comforting to know Sonya has three, varied, effective variations. It can probably cover alot of her bad matchups. A Sonya main who has all three of her variations down might actually be the scariest thing in Mortal Kombat X.

It's like, Jacqui = full auto, Takeda = Shirai Ryu, Quan = Summonor, Kung Jin = Bowjitsu

But I think Sonya has the potential to be terrifying all around. She might not have anything at the level of ridiculousness that is Bowjitsu, but the sum of her individual parts is stronger.

Anyway, for demolitions Sonya, there definitely seems to be a way to refill grenades safely. It's always character dependent, but against Scorpion, say

[starter] xx Shock Grenade, Run xx 12, Run xx 213 xx Refill seems to be safe against his wakeups...

The issue I'm having is... if I have 0 grenades, none, how do I refill them safely? I can't find anything with the hit advantage to do it (currently I'm using Scorpion as a baseline for testing.) Even b33212 which is very + on hit will get me tagged by a wakeup teleport.

jmt

Noob
I hate when I'm doing d1 or d3 into b14 and parry comes out because as I'm going from down to back and then hit the 1 for the b14, out comes parry.

Anyone else get this too?

skater11

The saltiest
Had fun today at Texas showdown. Don't know if anyone saw my matches but I used Sonya and kung Lao mainly. I played horribly mainly because of the ps4 pads which were holding me back a lot. I had just a few hours to play some casuals and get a better feel of the controller. Matchup question: what are you guys thoughts on the GM sub matchup? Any advice?

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Anyway, for demolitions Sonya, there definitely seems to be a way to refill grenades safely. It's always character dependent, but against Scorpion, say

[starter] xx Shock Grenade, Run xx 12, Run xx 213 xx Refill seems to be safe against his wakeups...

The issue I'm having is... if I have 0 grenades, none, how do I refill them safely? I can't find anything with the hit advantage to do it (currently I'm using Scorpion as a baseline for testing.) Even b33212 which is very + on hit will get me tagged by a wakeup teleport.
From my findings, the only safe ways she can reload grenades are going to be off whiff punishment. Don't try to use these to reload on block, cause you are going to get hit before the grenades are placed. 4 is 10 frames, it's a high and it's special cancellable. If you space it properly, you can anti air with it so that's another way you can get it safely. F4 is 16 frames, its a high and it's special cancellable as well. F3 is pretty slow but it's one of those hits that goes into a hard knockdown throw. It puts the opponent a set distance. Some characters can't do much from that distance. You can't special cancellable but you are taking a risk trying to reload your grenades there.

Edit. if you have no grenades and your opponent is in the corner. you can do B33U4, 4~Grenade Reload. You will have enough time to block any wakeup option they throw. Unfortunately, your launcher options are limited when you have no grenades unfortunately. I'm going to dabble with this variation some more tonight

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Ive heard this chicknis quite cheap.
I take it that Sonya is very good in this game lol

Feels like her EX Drone in demolitions is supposed to be the counter-balance to her weakness of being somewhat helpless without grenades. The less grenades you have, the more it throws out at the opponent when called, AND it's significantly faster to boot, so she has many ways to get it out safely even without high-advantage grenade combos.

BUT, I still haven't quite figured out how I can leverage having bars of meter, and an EX Drone ready to carpet bomb the entire stage- to accomplish the goal of getting my grenade refill. I have a feeling something about the EX Drone will let me do it, so that's gonna be my lab goal for tonight.

Also, my current BnB for Demolitions Sonya:

I also love how her b14 is SUPER hit-confirmable. You have all day to detonate the grenade, or see that your b14 didn't hit and just run up and toss them instead while they're afraid of the detonation.

Last edited:
I hate when I'm doing d1 or d3 into b14 and parry comes out because as I'm going from down to back and then hit the 1 for the b14, out comes parry.

Anyone else get this too?
I'm trying to work around it but it's happening constantly to me too. If I figure anything out I'll let you know.

Reactions: jmt

lslick

I'm trying to work around it but it's happening constantly to me too. If I figure anything out I'll let you know.
I think the problem is that you aren't going back to neutral. Like in other fighting games, if you do like a down poke and try to buffer what you want without letting go of the pad/stick entirely, the game is going to register a different move entirely. Maybe that's the problem

I think the problem is that you aren't going back to neutral. Like in other fighting games, if you do like a down poke and try to buffer what you want without letting go of the pad/stick entirely, the game is going to register a different move entirely. Maybe that's the problem
Yeah I feel like that could the problem. I know during my days of SSFIV I had to acclimate to that way of playing. Looks like I'll have to relearn to be patient hahaha.

Secret forces counter rush down is so good. Stopping a conversion is srz bzns.

Also pretty obvious, but just in case, drone's projectile causes block at range, so you can force mid block chip damage at range with pink Lazer for free.

Anothe thing is that Sonya is one of the few with a viable x-ray, and it's %50 w combo.

It's all pretty ew.

What are you people doing W Demo. To not get her full-combo jump in punished when grabbing grenades?

Moreover, why can't she just have infinite nades?

lslick

What are you people doing W Demo. To not get her full-combo jump in punished when grabbing grenades?

Moreover, why can't she just have infinite nades?
If she had infinite grenades, she would have the best wakeup move in the game imo. And the only time you would ever need to use ex outside of wakeup, would be to use xray, or ex moves

lslick

Feels like her EX Drone in demolitions is supposed to be the counter-balance to her weakness of being somewhat helpless without grenades. The less grenades you have, the more it throws out at the opponent when called, AND it's significantly faster to boot, so she has many ways to get it out safely even without high-advantage grenade combos.

BUT, I still haven't quite figured out how I can leverage having bars of meter, and an EX Drone ready to carpet bomb the entire stage- to accomplish the goal of getting my grenade refill. I have a feeling something about the EX Drone will let me do it, so that's gonna be my lab goal for tonight.

Also, my current BnB for Demolitions Sonya:

I also love how her b14 is SUPER hit-confirmable. You have all day to detonate the grenade, or see that your b14 didn't hit and just run up and toss them instead while they're afraid of the detonation.
Apparently after you pop your stun grenade, if you are running low on run meter or you want to save it for whatever reason, you can just forward dash 12 and then run 2134. I don't think you can dash in covert ops or special forces midscreen for your combos

I think it was spoken of, but I'm not sure if a thread was actually made. What are you guys seeing MU wise with Sonya? I've been manhandling a lot of scrubs online with Covert Ops, just seems like every Mileena I go against that's somewhat decent has an easy time against me. Any advice?

Also got a chance to test out some of the strings I was working with offline on ranked this weekend. b332 xx db24, ji2, rc, 12, rc, 124 is pretty tough to land with input lag which sucks because it's a great hard knockdown for setups, so I narrowed it down to b332 xx db24, ji2, f2 xx bf4 just because it's simpler and does a decent amount of damage. Anyone have any other consistent strings for online play in Covert Ops?

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
I think we should create a match up thread. I think other character forums have it. It'll be a good place to consolidate everything and not have to sift through pages and pages of content.

Also shoutouts to Scar for his amazing Sonya at TX Showdown. That final x-ray was a big gamble, but I think all Sonya players can relate especially if it worked well previosuly.

Wasted

Noob
I think it was spoken of, but I'm not sure if a thread was actually made. What are you guys seeing MU wise with Sonya? I've been manhandling a lot of scrubs online with Covert Ops, just seems like every Mileena I go against that's somewhat decent has an easy time against me. Any advice?

Also got a chance to test out some of the strings I was working with offline on ranked this weekend. b332 xx db24, ji2, rc, 12, rc, 124 is pretty tough to land with input lag which sucks because it's a great hard knockdown for setups, so I narrowed it down to b332 xx db24, ji2, f2 xx bf4 just because it's simpler and does a decent amount of damage. Anyone have any other consistent strings for online play in Covert Ops?
B332 xx db24, ji2, rc 21u4.

Don't worry about hard knockdowns midscreen, put them in the corner first.

Dedlock

Noob
does it bother anybody else that Sonya's B33U4 does not have U4 hit as an overhead? I mean whats the point of this string when its damage and properties are identical to B33F4? F4 atleast shoots them a far distance away.

FlyMike

-----
does it bother anybody else that Sonya's B33U4 does not have U4 hit as an overhead? I mean whats the point of this string when its damage and properties are identical to B33F4? F4 atleast shoots them a far distance away.
It's for launches into corner combos in SF(and maybe Demo too) because she doesn't have MS in these variations. Also in SF if drone isn't out, most you can get is string into hard knockdown or leg grab that takes opponent OUT of the corner. So b33u4 gives her a pop up to continue juggles. Outside of corner I'm pretty sure it's useless though...

Dedlock

Noob
It's for launches into corner combos in SF(and maybe Demo too) because she doesn't have MS in these variations. Also in SF if drone isn't out, most you can get is string into hard knockdown or leg grab that takes opponent OUT of the corner. So b33u4 gives her a pop up to continue juggles. Outside of corner I'm pretty sure it's useless though...
I keep forgetting that there are other variations other than covert ops, it would be amazing if that string ended in an overhead, but for now in covert ops I use it just for flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.