What's new

SonicFox = Potential Greatest of All Time...And We Are Living In It

He is great and deserves his props. Truly gifted and a pleasure to watch. But, you people shit on other greats who have also won/placed in multiple games. Some (like Ryan Hart for example) have been doing it for almost 20 years. That's sustained greatness and I think that means something. Better then Sonic as a FG player? Maybe not, but it doesn't mean Sonic is great and anything less is shit. But.. this is the MK community sooooooo HAIL.

Also, while Sonic is great there's something else. No one besides him generates any interest for the game. It has literally come to the point where the community has made it so that it is pointless to watch anyone play in tourney/anywhere besides him. As a result only one person really gets people into the game anymore. EVO had 1192 people last year, if it pulls 400 this year that's a drop of almost 800 players. Great upgrade to the game, great new netcode, 4 new DLC characters, new stage, new stage fatals, etc etc... and you lose a HUGE number? And do not say because of SFV. SF4 had NO issue keeping great numbers amongst new FG releases.

Anway.. It is absolutely great to watch develop as he matures and I look forward to seeing him play and succeed in SFV. I'm glad I got to see him from his start and there is no ceiling on where he will finish.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Back in MK9 someone asked me, "who is the player of US you're scaried the most and why" I answerded. "Sanic Fawx, a lots of people has been sleeping to that kid, he is only a kid, but that freakin kid is scary, how come people are not noticing this?"

And then Injustice happened, and now MKX happened. He always had that latent power in him, and he is gone into a level that will be kinda hard to outplay, being just as good is not enough anymore. And he gets better as the time progresses.

Can't wait to see him at finals of SFV honestly.

minko

Noob
Best usa sfv player is clearly lupe! Jokes aside, brenttiscool had higher placements than fox on both of the large tournaments (wth lol). That being said, fox is a downright beast, hope he sticks with sfv, really a pleasure watching him play.

Ryu is a quintessential character to SF and many are still trying to dissect FANG. Most in part lost to not knowing the MU...don't bother refuting that.

Second, he had an easy pool and his hardest opponent in the SF community didn't even happen until he already got to NuckleDu.

The kid is awesome, but everyone has a weakness.
Deal with it.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
The whole point of making this thread was me pointing out that instead of downplaying, talking shit, making excuses like people have been since 2012, why don't we stop to actually appreciate what is happening around us. One of our OWN, someone that came from MK9 as his first competitive game. Someone from our community is doing things that no one else is doing and at a young age. I'm still just seeing downplaying and excuses. I expect that out of the cap com community because they are elitists but I would hope that our own community could support him. Seems like a lot of people still want to downplay.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Ryu is a quintessential character to SF and many are still trying to dissect FANG. Most in part lost to not knowing the MU...don't bother refuting that.

Second, he had an easy pool and his hardest opponent in the SF community didn't even happen until he already got to NuckleDu.

Deal with it.
You speak of his opponents as if they are all ass. Wolfkrone isn't exactly a pushover.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Also, while Sonic is great there's something else. No one besides him generates any interest for the game.
This is categorically false. The response to Chasing the Cup was due to everyone involved; in addition, there are lots of players whose fanbases have grown significantly over the last couple years. Honeybee, Pig, DJT, Dragon, etc. Even if Fox may ultimately win, there are always other great matches to watch, and people like Pnut who are skilled enough to do the unlikely and tear a hole through the bracket (including putting Fox into losers in this tournament) with a character that doesn't usually make Top 8.

With the 200 at FR a year after the game's release, it's clear that the scene on the whole is healthier than ever, and there are more stream viewers for numerous players (not just Sonic) than there have ever been.

Not to mention other types of things.. The Killtron moment in pools is also going to make a lot of people's best FGC moments of 2016 lists, and will no doubt draw new people into picking up the game.

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
He is great and deserves his props. Truly gifted and a pleasure to watch. But, you people shit on other greats who have also won/placed in multiple games. Some (like Ryan Hart for example) have been doing it for almost 20 years. That's sustained greatness and I think that means something. Better then Sonic as a FG player? Maybe not, but it doesn't mean Sonic is great and anything less is shit. But.. this is the MK community sooooooo HAIL.

Also, while Sonic is great there's something else. No one besides him generates any interest for the game. It has literally come to the point where the community has made it so that it is pointless to watch anyone play in tourney/anywhere besides him. As a result only one person really gets people into the game anymore. EVO had 1192 people last year, if it pulls 400 this year that's a drop of almost 800 players. Great upgrade to the game, great new netcode, 4 new DLC characters, new stage, new stage fatals, etc etc... and you lose a HUGE number? And do not say because of SFV. SF4 had NO issue keeping great numbers amongst new FG releases.

Anway.. It is absolutely great to watch develop as he matures and I look forward to seeing him play and succeed in SFV. I'm glad I got to see him from his start and there is no ceiling on where he will finish.
I can only speak for myself, but I watched from start to finish and was truly intrigued the entire time.

If the numbers went down, it could only be because of SFV. The tournaments ran almost concurrently.

No doubt, there were lots of guys who opted to watch the SFV tournament over the MKX one.

I have to admit, I flipped when Sonic Fox was playing SFV - but had little interest in the SFV tourney beyond his matches.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

Deal with it.
...because NuckleDu is such a pushover. :rolleyes:

All these excuses. If he wins one, your head might explode.

Lets just give him props without going overboard and call it a day. Everything else on either side is just hate.

Matix218

Get over here!
As much as I like seeing sonic fox do well and it truly is amazing how dominant he is in multiple games I think for our competitive scene to stay healthy we need sonic fox to actually lose occasionally. I thought p nut was going to be the one to do it when that match in top 8 losers went to 2-2 but unfortunately p nut was unable to seal the deal (no disrespect to p nut since his opponent was literally the current greatest American fighting game player). The reason I think sonic needs to occasionally lose in mk is because it has literally become a foregone conclusion that he will just win every major and if anything kills hype and excitement around a game or sport it is predictability. I hope that some of our scenes best players are able to overcome sonic, especially at evo this year not because I don't like him or don't root for him but because I dint want our tournament scene to become stale or boring. That all bring said, major props to sonic fox for his unbelievable skills as a fg player.

In my opinion, I just think its really Disrespectful and Asinine to dismiss someones bracket in a tournament that had over a thousand entrants. Now, you may look at the bracket and not see a "Known" killer and automatically dismiss the player but that does not mean that player is a push over or ass. Majority of the players who attend these events have put much time and effort into the game and if you manage to make top 8 out of over 1000 players once the smoke clears, Im Positive you had to really play well, no matter what. Point being, there is no such thing as an easy road to top 8 at these tournaments. You will ALWAYS have to play really strong players, especially once it gets to top 128.

We dont need to even get into the other stuff, like 100% of the ppl taking his props will never make top 8 in a SFV event, like him using a said Low Tier character, like him dominating in SEVERAL games while shit talkers are concentrating on 1 game and cant make top 16 in that smmfh, etc etc etc

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
...because NuckleDu is such a pushover. :rolleyes:

All these excuses. If he wins one, your head might explode.

Lets just give him props without going overboard and call it a day. Everything else on either side is just hate.
I've been a fan of the SF scene for a long time, and NuckleDu has proven as of late that he is arguably the best American player out there with multiple top 8 finishes in the most stacked of tournaments.
It is absolutely laughable to see people be like "Oh Fox didn't have a tough road to top 8" when he beat NuckleDu, and then they turn to "well people don't really know FANG". LOL

SonicFox makes top 8 with a character that is considered by almost the entire community to be the worst in the game, and on his way he just happened to beat one of the best players America has. So, to quote that guy, "deal with it". :cool:

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I've been a fan of the SF scene for a long time, and NuckleDu has proven as of late that he is arguably the best American player out there with multiple top 8 finishes in the most stacked of tournaments.
It is absolutely laughable to see people be like "Oh Fox didn't have a tough road to top 8" when he beat NuckleDu, and then they turn to "well people don't really know FANG". LOL

SonicFox makes top 8 with a character that is considered by almost the entire community to be the worst in the game, and on his way he just happened to beat one of the best players America has. So, to quote that dumbass, "deal with it". :cool:
Du also wasn't at the top of his game for FR, I would love to see that match when Du has a clear head

jmt

Noob
Reo was the best mk9 player by far for almost the entire lifespan of the game until sonic fox showed up and started crushing people. Then injustice came out and he was the best during that game. He is by far the best mkx player and it's not even close. He will be the best at the next NRS game for sure. One of the best at skull girls and other fight games too and I'm sure if he devoted all his time to any other fighting game he would be the best at that too.

Bow down to sonic fox the god.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Fox is a jumper and until he learns to play more grounded I don't think he could win a major in SFV.

In MKX it works cause shit AAs but not on SFV.

Only thing I don't get is how people keep flip flopping, saying he didn't play solid competition in FR, but then say it's a new game. If its a new game, then isnt everybody legit competition in a sense at this point?

And how is Julio not solid competition when he just got second at Winter Brawl? How is Wolfkrone and RayRay considered average if we're incorporating other fighting games into someone's skill in SFV. Same can be said with Knuckle Du. When you discredit fox, your discrediting the people he beat.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord

Deal with it.
He beat RayRay, Julio, WolfCrone and NuckleDu. Didn't play anyone good till NuckleDu? You must be one of those Cap-com heads pissed cause Sonic is doing well in SFV. Give props bro.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
He's alright. I'd place him where Mileena is on the tier list...

Which tier list though?

Stupidity aside doesn't Ryan Hart hold the record for most tournaments won, with steady winnings spanning 2 decades? While some Capcom players have 3 or 4 year EVO streaks? So I don't think he's there yet. However If he continues to put this resume together and continues to improve at the same rate, he'll sweep all the main stage games at EVO by 2020. Even Melee...

I think this is my favorite response.

Since it's obviously no longer valid to say that MK players all suck at fighting games, it's turned into "Sonic Fox doesn't count because he's not an NRS player" so that the FGC can somehow still hold on to that stupid belief.

k.

"lol you guys suck you have no fundamentals! you are all going to get bodied at IGAU cuz back to block lolol!"

NRS players and former MK9 players dominate IGAU

"LOL game is bad!"

And on... and on.... and on. Capcom players just simply will never just admit that people who main NRS games can be good at things despite the ridiculously obvious historical precedents showing that it's actually THEM who cannot adapt to different games.

an NRS player just placed higher than wolfkrone, snake eyez, jwong, ricki, (the list goes on) in street fighter. so...... yeah. he's not good tho cuz he lost to tokido.

Last edited: