What's new

So do wake up attacks gain invicible frames or not?

Mestizo3

Noob
I'm hearing conflicting information about wake up attacks, some people say they gain some invincibility frames and others say they do not.

For example on a deathstroke thread someone claimed that he is "Free" on wake up to meaty pressure, but I swear I've gotten hit with his sword flip even though I did a perfect meaty attack, the sword flip just went through it.

Or is it just some moves that gain invincibility and not others?

Also another quick question I heard that you can be grabbed a few frames earlier on your wake up, before you can get hit, anyone know if this is true?

Mestizo3

Noob
^^ The question I'm asking isn't if some moves have invincibility, it's if moves gain invincibility if done as a wake up attack.

Apparently projectile moves don't get invincibility (from what I've heard).

Everything else is still a mystery to me. Black Adam's lightning cage looks like it should be a good wake up/reversal move but in practice it doesn't work very often.

Then you have some characters with safe non-EX reversals that have priority over everything and lead into combos..

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing

Everything else is still a mystery to me. Is Black Adam's Lightning Cage supposed to be my wake up reversal? If so well it doesn't work lol. Even the EX version gets blown up so I'm better off waking up with an armored b3/f3 which still loses to multi hitting moves and quick strings.

Then you have some characters with safe non-EX reversals that have priority over everything and lead into combos..
Yeah I have noticed there are barely any good wakeup attacks at all in this game. I don't like that, it's annoying lol. The only good wakeups I can think of off the top of my head are Doomsday shoulder charges

cirkusfreaksho

All in a day's work
i feel like this is the same case of mk9 wake up system being really bad on launch. then they made the wake up system a lot better. guess well see

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I talked about wakeups on KingHippo's podcast this weekend. If you like podcasts you should check it out.

The short of it is, it definitely varies character to character. KF slide is absurd (fully invincible wakeup and then some) while raven's wake ups are all bad and get stuffed pretty easily from my testing/experience.

Some examples of fully invincible wakeups that cannot be stuffed are KF slide, lex corp charge, flash flying uppercut, deathstroke sword spin (not flip). Many other wakeups like batman slide, harley tantrum stance, and GL lift are invincible until 1 frame before active, so it is possible to trade with them but never beat them clean.

This is all from my testing and not a third party.

EDIT: Yeah as slips said below me, I've found Black Adam's lightning cage to be fully invincible, albeit slow.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Some wake-up attacks do not have invincibility frames. I'm close to positive no fireball projectile specials have any invincibility, and there are select moves that don't have any either. Ares Phase Shifter thing for example has no invincibility at all. Deathstroke Swordflip doesn't have any either. Its all on a per case basis.

Most moves have like 8 frames of invincibility like MK9. There are exceptiona though like Black Adam Lightning Cage which has invincibility for almost the entire duration of the move.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

Everything else is still a mystery to me. Is Black Adam's Lightning Cage supposed to be my wake up reversal? If so well it doesn't work lol. Even the EX version gets blown up so I'm better off waking up with an armored b3/f3 which still loses to multi hitting moves and quick strings.

Ex Cage is a reversal, it's good but you just have to be careful on how you use it. To answer the question it's some wake ups, but not all of them.

Mestizo3

Noob
I talked about wakeups on KingHippo's podcast this weekend. If you like podcasts you should check it out.

The short of it is, it definitely varies character to character. KF slide is absurd (fully invincible wakeup and then some) while raven's wake ups are all bad and get stuffed pretty easily from my testing/experience.

Some examples of fully invincible wakeups that cannot be stuffed are KF slide, lex corp charge, flash flying uppercut, deathstroke sword spin (not flip). Many other wakeups like batman slide, harley tantrum stance, and GL lift are invincible until 1 frame before active, so it is possible to trade with them but never beat them clean.

This is all from my testing and not a third party.
Ok thanks for the info, I heard on the Civil war stream this weekend one of the testers (I think) claiming that on wake up you can be thrown a few frames before you can be hit (which also means before your wake up attack starts). So perfect throw timing on wake up could potentially blow up wake up attacks? Any idea if this is true?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Ok thanks for the info, I heard on the Civil war stream this weekend one of the testers (I think) claiming that on wake up you can be thrown a few frames before you can be hit (which also means before your wake up attack starts). So perfect throw timing on wake up could potentially blow up wake up attacks? Any idea if this is true?
No idea, I'll have to look into it but sounds like it might have been a beta thing. Surely throw would beat non-invincible wakeups but I don't know about invincible ones.

Lots of the stuff that some of the testers have talked about on streams has been stuff that does not reflect how it is in the game now from my experience.

Mestizo3

Noob
No idea, I'll have to look into it but sounds like it might have been a beta thing. Surely throw would beat non-invincible wakeups but I don't know about invincible ones.

Lots of the stuff that some of the testers have talked about on streams has been stuff that does not reflect how it is in the game now from my experience.
Yea I hear ya, btw I tried searching for KingHippo's podcast but can't seem to find it, can I get a link? thanks

Is the input wondow for a wakeup attack different than MKs? Im playing green arrow, and I am absolutely getting slaughtered after getting knocked down. It seems like his slide has invincibility frames, just having trouble with the timing.

Is the input wondow for a wakeup attack different than MKs? Im playing green arrow, and I am absolutely getting slaughtered after getting knocked down. It seems like his slide has invincibility frames, just having trouble with the timing.
Same thing is happening to me. 9 times out of 10 when I get knocked down I'm toast. I cannot for the life of me get the slide to come out. His db2 seems easier to pull off but that shit gets blown up half the time.

kronspik

Noob
I recommend going into training mode and recording the AI to do a sweep or another move that does a knockdown. Then practice the timing for your wakeup attacks. It definitely helps you understand where the window of a wakeup attack is. It's definitely tighter than most fighting games nowadays.