What's new

Guide Sinestro Optimum Combos

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok , I think I may have found some type of option select tech with Sinestro in the corner. This may be discovered and old news but I could not find it in the Sinestro forums. Soooo...here I go.

Alright, when Sinestro has his opponent in the corner and lands a b2 he can land a f2d13 if your quick enough. If the f2 whiffs the d1 will hit the opponent while they are laying on the ground because the d1 in the f2d13 combo is otg capable. So if you connect with the f2d13 after the b2 then just continue to combo but if you whiff the f2 then the opponent has to block low even while laying on the ground. Also, if the opponent does block the d1 in the f2d13 combo your still fine because f2d13 is safe on block. So in my opinion it is a win win.

Ok, it looks like this.

(b2-f2d13-112-shackles-j2-(vortex 24%)-f2d13-30%)

(b2-whiff f2-d13-112 mb meteor-112 shackles-j2-(vortex 35%)-f2d13-39%)

This now allows Sinestro to get big corner damage going into the vortex of his b2. Also, if Sinestro drops the combo he is still safe. You could still do the reliable bnb corner combos but I thought this was interesting.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Also I didn't see any combos that dealt with Sinestro in the corner switching sides.

Example: Sinestro in corner (b13-dash-112-meteor-19%.) This can not only be meter burned for more damage but it also flips positions. Taking Sinestro out of the corner and putting the opponent in the corner.

You can also cut the combo short and do 11 then shackles then go into vortex.

Just getting back into the game and I forgot how fun it is to play.

See ya guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
But let's say you're right next to them. It doesn't seem to be a vortex at that point because it's neutral jump or crossover and it's easy to spot the difference

RIF

Noob
F3 corner combo I have been using:

F3 J2 Air Axe Standing 3 Shackles J2 F2D13 D1 Arachnid (36-37% for no bars)

But let's say you're right next to them. It doesn't seem to be a vortex at that point because it's neutral jump or crossover and it's easy to spot the difference
J1 -> AoT can be ambiguous in the corner. I am not certain if it randomly crosses-up, but it appears to do so. I need to look into this more.

I normally go for the unblockable set-up, F3 + Trait Armor breaks, or the J1->AoT ambiguity in the corner but my corner game is severely under-developed.

I've been wondering if there are any frame traps that can be done with a blocked Standing 3. I doubt it's possible given the pushback on 3, but it's 0 on block and seems like a B12 or F2D13 would beat a lot of options the opposing character might have due to the spacing/reach on these strings.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Not if you jump forward after shackles then input Axe of Terror. It will hit reverse side of them or you can cross over j3. It's difficult to tell when you do it correctly.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!

J1 -> AoT can be ambiguous in the corner. I am not certain if it randomly crosses-up, but it appears to do so. I need to look into this more.

I normally go for the unblockable set-up, F3 + Trait Armor breaks, or the J1->AoT ambiguity in the corner but my corner game is severely under-developed.

I've been wondering if there are any frame traps that can be done with a blocked Standing 3. I doubt it's possible given the pushback on 3, but it's 0 on block and seems like a B12 or F2D13 would beat a lot of options the opposing character might have due to the spacing/reach on these strings.
Well, this is how I use standing 3. Standing 3 does very good damage for a single hit at 9%. It is also safe on block and one of Sinestro's best pokes. After a blocked 3 read your opponent. Are they dashing back or forward, jumping in, or doing nothing.

If you read your opponent very well you can get a trap. This is how it works. If the opponent jumps hit them with meteor. When they realize they can't jump after standing 3 they will usually try to dash forward under the meteor and combo punish. When the opponent does this use shackles after standing 3. The opponent cannot escape this trap with a reversal...they must block it or use a super move. If they do anything else you get a free combo. However, if the opponent blocks the shackles then you eat a full combo so be carful.

This is just one way to use standing 3 effectively.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!

Also with the f3 combo you can finish with 3-arachnid for 38%.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Maybe just standing 3 fear blast and be prepared to mb it if they block. There are only a few characters/ situations I am willing to risk eating full combo in the name of swag and Sinestro doesn't have that situation

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Maybe just standing 3 fear blast and be prepared to mb it if they block. There are only a few characters/ situations I am willing to risk eating full combo in the name of swag and Sinestro doesn't have that situation
Then there is no mix up if you do fear blast only. If they jump and you don't have meter then you eat a full combo every time. Also, characters with air dash can go over mb fear blast and punish. Not only that but it is also very predictable. You have to mix it up.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Then there are better options. B12 is a great safe footsie tool and against certain characters jumps d2 is good aa which can be followed into b12 an vortex. When exploring my options with characters I don't like to see "risk eating full combo." Unless it looks super swaggy if it hits. Also if s3 is neutral on block and cancelled into fb can they even jump out? I'd have to test cus I can't even picture how much pushback it has, also depending on character hitbox they may be able to duck it

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Then there are better options. B12 is a great safe footsie tool and against certain characters jumps d2 is good aa which can be followed into b12 an vortex. When exploring my options with characters I don't like to see "risk eating full combo." Unless it looks super swaggy if it hits. Also if s3 is neutral on block and cancelled into fb can they even jump out? I'd have to test cus I can't even picture how much pushback it has, also depending on character hitbox they may be able to duck it
I don't know. Your probing better off just sticking with s3 and b12.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Well, I just double checked and s3 forces the opponent to stand...so they can't duck it. If you do fear blast the opponent must block it and if they do then you can get punished.

However, fear blast shouldn't be used after s3 regardless. That's what I am saying. Both meteor and shackles stop the opponent's reversal attempt after s3. Forcing them to block either one. Meteor will get beat by quick reversals but shackles works every time.

Now you will take damage if you guess wrong (you do in any fighting game right?) but that's why I was saying to read your opponent. Standing 3 is safe on block. So start off with that then watch. Are they jumping at you...then buffer meteor. Are they dashing towards or away from you...then use shackles. If the opponent uses anything other than a super move ...you've got'em for free damage.

I understand b12 is a safe reliable poke, but you asked for traps off of s3 and I just listed the ones that are possible. I know it's not the best 50/50 but once you really learn it you will be glad you did. It just adds to Sinestro's game.

Last edited:

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Corner game openings revolve mostly around b2, f2d13, and jump 1 and 3. Every combo is essentially the same, always ending in 112 shackle j2. There are different enders that allow for different situations, but mostly I stray away from knocking them down because I don't want them to wake up. I only really end in f2d13 if it's used to close out the round.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Corner game openings revolve mostly around b2, f2d13, and jump 1 and 3. Every combo is essentially the same, always ending in 112 shackle j2. There are different enders that allow for different situations, but mostly I stray away from knocking them down because I don't want them to wake up. I only really end in f2d13 if it's used to close out the round.
Are you responding to me? :)yeah i know how his combos work i just thought it was cool bcuz ive never seen anyone do 3 axe loops in a row

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Are you responding to me? :)yeah i know how his combos work i just thought it was cool bcuz ive never seen anyone do 3 axe loops in a row
Mostly to the other people. But that's an interesting concept. Could you post a video? What's the damage like?

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
42% no meter might b more if you substitute the last air axe for a different ender I can post it later I might b able to push it to 5 air axes but I wont promise that:)