What's new

Should Kabal be banned in competitive play? (Community Discussion)

Should Kabal be banned?

• Total voters

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
That is all much much too complicated. Only the last part might be sort of helpful.

Just know who your bad matchups are and learn how to deal with them. It really is quite that simple.
It's really not that complicated and it deals with the fact that "some 6-4 matchups are more winnable than others". Either harder 4-6s should scale to 3-7 or we should be using a different scale altogether.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
There are too many characters that are slept on for us to be banning characters right now.

This game is only a year old and there's new tech coming out every week. Everyone needs to go back to the drawing board and stop assuming that the info that's out there now is all there is to the game.
This.

Every single time there's a band wagon, we see more of that character. Makes sense. So the last few tournaments hve been won by Kabal players. So? If Kabal was consistently winning every tournament for 6months to a year, then maybe we should be concerned.

Go back to the drawing board. Every character in this game has weaknesses. Find a way to exploit Kabal's with your character.

Stop treating this bandwagon on Kabal like it's any different from the others we've seen. Please.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

It's really not healthy in a game this young in the competitive scene to have this much discussion about how OP some chars are. OK, as of right now Kabal is in a tier of his own. But let's wait. In a year, if Kabal keeps winning every major and dominating the scene, we can start to worry.

But I do think that if we ever have a patch to this game again, nerfing Kabal should be #1 priority. Even more important than fixing the damage exploits. Because even though Smoke, Cyrax and Jax have damage exploits, none of them is as threatening/broken as Kabal.

circle masher

NRS PLLLLS MORE BUFF AN NERFPS GAME IS UBNALENCERD
Instead of being a cunt, why not tell my why I'm wrong and come up with an alternative?
Because I think you're being ridiculously and pointlessly anal. A 10-point system tells me as much as I need to know about a match-up as a percentage would and has arguably more application in the real world (10-game sets come around easier and more frequently than 100-game sets). Neither figure tells me I should be looking to abuse a particular crouching poke after a particular string or whatever, a percentage is just a lot of work to say the same thing you could have told me in a simpler format. The reason 10-point systems are used is because they are as accurate as people need a system to be. I've never seen people quibbling over the difference between 6-4 and 7-3 like the people here do.

I can think of nothing more insane than fussing over whether character A has a 68% or a 69% advantage over character B. You can say both numbers to me but they say the same thing I'd get from the chart I quoted at the top of the previous page: 'I have a bit of an advantage'. You're welcome to use your system but it tells me nothing of extra worth.

Also: why 100% and not 1000%? Would 1000% be too ridiculous or something?

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
I can't wait for these threads to end... can someone extremely talented pick up some sheeva and find her top potential ;) I can't wait for the day that the exploration of char's gets that far!!
Trollin' I guess.

circle masher

I never thought I'd say I missed the days when the endless numbers of 'HOW DO I DO IAGB' threads were the biggest eyesore here.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I wouldnt say ban him but nerf him yes. Just remove the dash cancel.
He builds crazy meter, can kill u with chip alone, zones like a god and puts pressure like one too.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Because I think you're being ridiculously and pointlessly anal. A 10-point system tells me as much as I need to know about a match-up as a percentage would and has arguably more application in the real world (10-game sets come around easier and more frequently than 100-game sets). Neither figure tells me I should be looking to abuse a particular crouching poke after a particular string or whatever, a percentage is just a lot of work to say the same thing you could have told me in a simpler format. The reason 10-point systems are used is because they are as accurate as people need a system to be. I've never seen people quibbling over the difference between 6-4 and 7-3 like the people here do.

I can think of nothing more insane than fussing over whether character A has a 68% or a 69% advantage over character B. You can say both numbers to me but they say the same thing I'd get from the chart I quoted at the top of the previous page: 'I have a bit of an advantage'. You're welcome to use your system but it tells me nothing of extra worth.

Also: why 100% and not 1000%? Would 1000% be too ridiculous or something?
Thanks for elaborating. My 100% was based on the 100 hit points that each character gets during one game. Why? Because a 6-4 match where Kabal is consistently down to the wire on life and gets that extra little bit of chip to win is different from a match where Kabal double flawlesses an opponent. In this community, both are equally likely to be matched as a "6-4". If you'll notice, the percentages I proposed weren't based on 100 matches, they were based on the average hitpoint difference after one match.

While a percentage might tell *you* nothing about a matchup, having "6-4" for 90% of the cast tells nothing to *me* about a matchup, especially with the varying opinions on what constitutes a 6-4 match. Apparently it varies anywhere from "slight advantage" to "completely crushing advantage".

My main point was that there needs to be a more quantitative way to rate matchups, because as it stands, there is no reliable way to get meaningful data from a 10 point scale.

circle masher

BillStickers said:
My 100% was based on the 100 hit points that each character gets during one game.
Ah yeah, my bad.

BillStickers said:
a 6-4 match where Kabal is consistently down to the wire on life and gets that extra little bit of chip to win is different from a match where Kabal double flawlesses an opponent. In this community, both are equally likely to be matched as a "6-4". If you'll notice, the percentages I proposed weren't based on 100 matches, they were based on the average hitpoint difference after one match.

While a percentage might tell *you* nothing about a matchup, having "6-4" for 90% of the cast tells nothing to *me* about a matchup, especially with the varying opinions on what constitutes a 6-4 match. Apparently it varies anywhere from "slight advantage" to "completely crushing advantage".

My main point was that there needs to be a more quantitative way to rate matchups, because as it stands, there is no reliable way to get meaningful data from a 10 point scale.
Thanks for explaining, but I still think this is pointless. You say you have two reasons for wanting this revision to the scoring system (I can't see more than two, at least):

1) You say you cannot get meaningful data from the 10-point scale and would get more detail from a percentage which tallies to hit points.

Your percentages would be saying the exact same thing as the existing scale: about even, slight advantage, advantage, big advantage, extreme advantage. What extra detail is there in a lifebar percentage that makes it worth explaining to somebody else in any other words than those plain terms I quoted from REO? Moreover, your method would be more laborious and time-consuming to calculate because you'd be having to physically measure the lifebar percentages at KO, record this for all the rounds in a game/set of games (how many games would it take for your method to provide 'accurate' averaged results?), then average all those numbers to come to the same conclusions we all would have come to with the existing method. Plus you'd be having to measure it with a physical ruler instead of adding up combos, because single hits and chip damage don't give their damage values in real fights do they?

2) Other people cannot agree on 10-point figures and use them to mean drastically different things.

If a 6-4 "varies anywhere from "slight advantage" to "completely crushing advantage"" for some people on this forum then the problem is not with the scale, it's with people not using the existing scale correctly. It's not difficult, 6-4 is a slight advantage and that's all there is to it. If somebody says a 6-4 match is "completely crushing", then it's either not a 6-4 or it's not completely crushing, it can't be both.

Of course you're welcome to use this method to satisfy yourself, I'm just saying it's a long-winded way of saying the same thing other people will have discovered themselves. I would not have the patience to do it and I can't imagine most other people would. And for this reason, I am out.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I really think the communities pride is getting in the way of saying "YA! He's way to fucking broken and is the best fighter in every single circumstance." Really? Thats ok? Just because he hasnt been banned in other games and other games have broken fighters that arent banned means we shouldnt ban him now?

What...The...Fuck.

I now have respect for very few community members.
Are you one of the top players in the kommunity? Unless you play this game at the absolute highest level then X-person's input is irrelevant. It just doesn't make sense any other way. You HAVE to be among the best to understand what's broken, bannable and unbeatable by any circumstance.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Are you one of the top players in the kommunity? Unless you play this game at the absolute highest level then X-person's input is irrelevant. It just doesn't make sense any other way. You HAVE to be among the best to understand what's broken, bannable and unbeatable by any circumstance.
Thaaaaaank you for saying this.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Wait, if you have to be at the highest absolute player category to even be able to understand what's broken and what isn't, why ask a bunch of people who aren't at the highest possible level?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Wait, if you have to be at the highest absolute player category to even be able to understand what's broken and what isn't, why ask a bunch of people who aren't at the highest possible level?
BECAUSE HE IS TRYING TO GET A RISE OUT OF YOU

lol, people never seem to get it.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I have a vegeta complex and I need to beat someone when their at "full power" so to speak. If I beat my friend's scorpion...big fucking deal, but if I beat his reptile or kabal, thats a big accomplishment. Kabal still isn't Gil, and that means he's beatable.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
BECAUSE HE IS TRYING TO GET A RISE OUT OF YOU

lol, people never seem to get it.
Absolutely not. What I said is 100% fact. Same applies for people contributing to composing a tier list.
lolwhut? If people are posting their opinions and AREN'T at the highest level possible, then their input is irrelevant. If you are going to listen to anyone in this thread or concerning tier lists, bannable shit, etc....ONLY listen to the people who constantly attend offline tournaments and place top 16 or so. If you don't know the game at the highest level how can you possibly give viable input? It makes no sense. Online players also have limited credibility considering changes from online to offline they are likely unaware of if never attending tournaments. The game doesn't need a "patch" cuz some online players with 5 MB DSL can constantly JIP-start combos and the connection doesn't allow their opponent to D1 or aa. That is a connection issue, not gameplay.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
And, now, your posts are completely irrelevent to me from this point on. I don't go to tournaments, so I don't know whats broken. Nice logic there.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Absolutely not. What I said is 100% fact. Same applies for people contributing to composing a tier list.

lolwhut? If people are posting their opinions and AREN'T at the highest level possible, then their input is irrelevant. If you are going to listen to anyone in this thread or concerning tier lists, bannable shit, etc....ONLY listen to the people who constantly attend offline tournaments and place top 16 or so. If you don't know the game at the highest level how can you possibly give viable input? It makes no sense.
I am talking about REO, for the record.

This is the first thread where I actually agree with you.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
And, now, your posts are completely irrelevent to me from this point on. I don't go to tournaments, so I don't know whats broken. Nice logic there.
That is correct. If you aren't participating at tournaments offline then it's not possible for you to understand the offline mechanics against high-level players that you have never experienced. You may not like hearing this, but it doesn't change the fact that it IS INDEED A FACT.

Also, your posts haven't been relevant to anyone since this thread started, and i don't think many people take you seriously from what I can see.

Lulzlou

Noob
How many of these stupid fucking threads are people going to fall for? Reo is setting at his moms house, eating cheetos (mouth open) and clicking refresh laughing his Ass off.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
I love making myself look like a Kabal Elitist and believe he is no where near broken as people say he is. trolo
Sometimes I'm serious