What's new

Should Kabal be banned in competitive play? (Community Discussion)

Should Kabal be banned?

• Total voters

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Banning a character in tournament play is a drastic last step. It might surprise you if you were to look it up and find out just how rare an occurence this is. The most common and well known example is Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 turbo. Akuma in this game is designed as a boss character. Many of his abilities exist outside what the game is designed to handle and most of the cast simply have no way to deal with him at the highest level. He was never really meant to be in the game and is accessed only by a special code. He is so broken he ruins an otherwise perfect game and he was banned VERY quickly with almost NO argument from the rest of the Street Fighter community.
In short, it was very obvious to everyone that the game was better off without Akuma in it(as it had been for a long time before it was discovered he was playable)
Kabal in MK9 is not like SSFT2 Akuma, in fact hes not even close. Hes nowhere near being that kind of broken. Does he have some fucked up tools? Sure he does, but in comparison to the kind of bullshit MK players have put up with for well over a decade, hes pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.
If Kabal were the kind of broken character that warranted a tournament ban as you suggest, there wouldnt be any argument. It would be obvious to everyone, just as Akuma was. It would be undeniable. If Kabal were that broken there would be NO ONE that could ever beat REO with any other character EVER.

Is Kabal the best character in MK9? Probably. I leave it to better players than I to make that determination, but every game has a best character, whether its SF4 Sagat, MK2 Mileena, or 3rd Strike Chun Li. All of these characters would be more powerful in the context of their game then Kabal is in MK9 and none have ever been banned in tournament play. In fact none have ever even been considered by the tournament community for a ban.
Banning a character is a serious, and absolute last resort course of action, and most times the character does not in fact need to be banned. It is very VERY rare that a character is actually so broken that he ruins the rest of the game and characters are almost never banned simply for being "the best in the game". Being the best and being broken are two completely different things.
I just don't see why we should't do it now just because we've never done it before. That is not a great excuse to let a game die out. I guess at this point all we will do is sit and wait until he wins the majors up until EVO, then win EVO, THEN MAYBE his banning will be up for real discusion. I just don' see why we should wait that loong. Its obvious now, is it not?

Thank you for the logical and in depth reply.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Like I've already said, we don't have to prove you're wrong, you have to prove you're right. And when everything you want us to "prove wrong" is opinion based, no one is going to be able to that regardless. Based on the posts you have in this thread, you're just arguing for the sake of it, either that or trolling. Spamming "PROVE ME WRONG!!!" is doing nothing but making you look immature. So, if you don't have anything worth substance to post in here, stop posting in here. I'm not asking you either, it's not a request. This goes for everyone, enough with the childish posts and attitudes.
I said it once. And I said I was done discussing it. Read before you post.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I just don't see why we should't do it now just because we've never done it before. That is not a great excuse to let a game die out. I guess at this point all we will do is sit and wait until he wins the majors up until EVO, then win EVO, THEN MAYBE his banning will be up for real discusion. I just don' see why we should wait that loong. Its obvious now, is it not?

Thank you for the logical and in depth reply.
You cannot predict the future. You have no idea if the game is going to die out or who is going to win the tournaments you speak of. That is all speculation. Characters are not banned on speculation. If it was obvious that Kabal were as broken as you claim there wouldnt be 12 pages of arguing it about in this thread, and yet there is. How do you account for this? As I said he might be the best character in the game, but that in and of itself does not warrant a ban. You must prove he is so broken that the rest of the cast simply has no way to deal with him. That has yet to be proven.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
You cannot predict the future. You have no idea if the game is going to die out or who is going to win the tournaments you speak of. That is all speculation. Characters are not banned on speculation. If it was obvious that Kabal were as broken as you claim there wouldnt be 12 pages of arguing about in this thread, and yet there is. How do you account for this? As I said he might be the best character in the game, but that in and of itself does not warrant a ban. You must prove he is so broken that the rest of the cast simply has no way to deal with him. That has yet to be proven.
The fact that he dosn't lose a single MU dosn't mean that the cast can't deal with him? And your right, I can't see the future, so it is speculation. The 6 some odd pages that have been me trying to prove this point is filled with nothing but illogical blabering from some people that don't know how to debate a point or opinion. You are one of the like 3 only posts in all these pages that didn't instantly make me want to rip my hair out. Which is why I am fine talking with you about it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Fuck you, bitch, I suck at MK9. I just have the mentality to get good at ANY game. I USED to be a scrub until I started listening to the community.
Everyone is part of the community, therefor, everyone's opinion means something. Sure, they can be wrong... but that's what this site is for, to help everyone level up.

I suck too, but that's not the point. The point is, elitist attitudes help nothing. Get out with that.

Dark_Rob

Noob
The fact that he dosn't lose a single MU dosn't mean that the cast can't deal with him? And your right, I can't see the future, so it is speculation. The 6 some odd pages that have been me trying to prove this point is filled with nothing but illogical blabering from some people that don't know how to debate a point or opinion. You are one of the like 3 only posts in all these pages that didn't instantly make me want to rip my hair out. Which is why I am fine talking with you about it.
Sagat didnt lose to anyone in SF4, Chun Li doesnt lose to anyone in 3rd strike, Mileena doesnt lose to anyone in MK2, Kabal doesnt lose to anyone in UMK3 and yet they can, and have been beaten by good players in tournament. There have been characters in many fighting games that didnt have any losing matchups and were not banned. Im not denying these characters werent the best in their games, but as I said, being the best does not nessecarily mean broken. It has yet to be proven that MK9 Kabal is THAT level of broken, which would be the only real reason he could ever be considered for a ban. He would have to be SO bad that he runs over everyone. In other words as the best Kabal player, REO would never lose.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Dude, get your elitist prick attitude out of here. People like you make me sick.
Except it is true. No player that has not proven himself offline should really be able to make a decision to BAN a character. Can these people be listened to for other opinions, ? Of course, but not this one. If you really want to ban a character, you need to get some of the top players in the country to discuss whether or not he really is that broken. Getting an opinion from an online warrior means nothing because A. Online is way different than offline B. Online not every match is consistent, crazy shit happens all the time C. Even if there is no noticeable lag frame windows and frame data can be thrown out the window with lag. D. Let's face it, most of them do not come close to the skill level of the top players(SOME do, but not many. And most of them end up going to tournaments and owning anyway). But really, the reason why online players cannot really be taken seriously in serious discussions like character banning, matchup charts or tier lists is that they are playing a very watered down version of the game that is completely different from the offline meta game. You can still go to training mode and find stuff out there, and then people may take you seriously. But if you use something that happened in an online match, credibility goes out the window.

This has nothing to do with skill level, but the huge difference in the game offline and online.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Everyone is part of the community, therefor, everyone's opinion means something. Sure, they can be wrong... but that's what this site is for, to help everyone level up.

I suck too, but that's not the point. The point is, elitist attitudes help nothing. Get out with that.
No, Opinions mean nothing when facts are present. If the subject is not opinion-based and requires factual answer rather, then opinions are irrelevant. You could say "It's cold outside" but other people may not agree.....you would have to change your statement to fact such as "The temperature outside has dropped." Einstein's theory of relativity, Sir.

Briyen

Noob
i remember thinking before mk9 released i hoped Kabal wasn't top tier again like uMK3 because i wasnt the biggest fan of him as a character and it was boring to see him again and again

sadly it happened again :confused:

Zoidberg747

No, Opinions mean nothing when facts are present. If the subject is not opinion-based and requires factual answer rather, then opinions are irrelevant. You could say "It's cold outside" but other people may not agree.....you would have to change your statement to fact such as "The temperature outside has dropped." Einstein's theory of relativity, Sir.
Lol, use of the theory of relativity to prove your point.

#respect

Dark_Rob

Noob
Nevertheless Arez they are right about one thing. You can say what you have to say without talking to people like they are bothersome peasants. From the most famous top player to the most unknown online player stepping onto TYM for the first time, no one wants to be talked to like they are worthless and everyone deserves at least the same common courtesy you would expect to be treated with yourself.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Sagat didnt lose to anyone in SF4, Chun Li doesnt lose to anyone in 3rd strike, Mileena doesnt lose to anyone in MK2, Kabal doesnt lose to anyone in UMK3 and yet they can, and have been beaten by good players in tournament. There have been characters in many fighting games that didnt have any losing matchups and were not banned. Im not denying these characters werent the best in their games, but as I said, being the best does not nessecarily mean broken. It has yet to be proven that MK9 Kabal is THAT level of broken, which would be the only real reason he could ever be considered for a ban. He would have to be SO bad that he runs over everyone. In other words as the best Kabal player, REO would never lose.
Like I said before, I don't think that just because we didn't do it the last times means we shouldn't do in now. That is just a bad excuse. I don't think that means REO will never lose. I feel like Kabal may not be on the level of using a boss, but he IS so good that it is giving the person using him a huge advantage. He does run over everyone. And as bad as this may sound, I feel like if REO loses a match using Kabal, it could only be off of a bad read or some form of accedent. Human error. If Kabal is played "at the highest level" he should never lose a match as he has no bad MU's, no weaknesses, and is overall just flat out much better than everyone else. But since there are such things as bad reads, dropping combo's, accidently whiffing a move and getting punished, there will never be such thing as "the highest level". Because human error is involved. But to me, the fact that the only sure fire way at having a chance to beat Kabal, is by using Kabal, is enough for a ban if he dosnt get patched. Do you think he should be nerfed? To the level of the rest of the top 5?

Zoidberg747

Like I said before, I don't think that just because we didn't do it the last times means we shouldn't do in now. That is just a bad excuse. I don't think that means REO will never lose. I feel like Kabal may not be on the level of using a boss, but he IS so good that it is giving the person using him a huge advantage. He does run over everyone. And as bad as this may sound, I feel like if REO loses a match using Kabal, it could only be off of a bad read or some form of accedent. Human error. If Kabal is played "at the highest level" he should never lose a match as he has no bad MU's, no weaknesses, and is overall just flat out much better than everyone else. But since there are such things as bad reads, dropping combo's, accidently whiffing a move and getting punished, there will never be such thing as "the highest level". Because human error is involved. But to me, the fact that the only sure fire way at having a chance to beat Kabal, is by using Kabal, is enough for a ban if he dosnt get patched. Do you think he should be nerfed? To the level of the rest of the top 5?
Anyone who does not think Kabal needs a nerf is kind of crazy. However, that will never happen so we need to deal with what we have. And you just explained why we shouldn't ban him, people can lose with him off of a bad read or other slip up. Even then there is still a lot of discussion about him having 5-5s, and that immediately gets rid of any thought of a ban. If a character can go even with Kabal at the highest level of play, he is not broken enough to be banned.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Kind of like the things I have been saying about Kabal? He is the best fighter in the game, no weaknesses, and he is better than everyone else in every aspect. These are all technically opinions. But you can't disagree with them, yet you still refuse to admit he needs fixed. Kinda like your saying its hot as hell while sitting in a penguins ass in the middle of Antartica in the dead of winter.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Im honestly not going to get into a debate about whether I personally believe he should be nerfed or banned. NRS has made it pretty clear they arent going to make any further changes to the game anyway so I dont believe talking about nerfs that wont happen will lead to anything productive.
You asked for a logical reason why Kabal should not be banned and I have given them to you. The prime reason being precedent. Characters are never solely banned for merely being the best in the game, they have to be so broken that they unequivacably ruin the game. It has yet to be even remotely proven that this is the case with Kabal. Thats as far as Im willing to take this. You are welcome to your opinion by all means, but unless you can convince the overwhelming majority of the community to agree with you, I seriously doubt you will see him banned anytime soon.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Anyone who does not think Kabal needs a nerf is kind of crazy. However, that will never happen so we need to deal with what we have. And you just explained why we shouldn't ban him, people can lose with him off of a bad read or other slip up. Even then there is still a lot of discussion about him having 5-5s, and that immediately gets rid of any thought of a ban. If a character can go even with Kabal at the highest level of play, he is not broken enough to be banned.
At "the highest level" he shouldnt lose. And according to REO, he has no 5-5's. And I kind of agree. If he does manage to have one 5-5 or two 5-5's, those can easily be within the realm of opinion, and it can still be said his worst MU is 6-4. And if a fighter needs nerfed because he dosn't lose to anyone and is better than anyone, why dosn't that grant a ban? You admit he needs fixed, yet since nothing is going to get done about it, we should just deal with it even though we have the power to solve the problem ourselves?

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Im honestly not going to get into a debate about whether I personally believe he should be nerfed or banned. NRS has made it pretty clear they arent going to make any further changes to the game anyway so I dont believe talking about nerfs that wont happen will lead to anything productive.
You asked for a logical reason why Kabal should not be banned and I have given them to you. The prime reason being precedent. Characters are never solely banned for merely being the best in the game, they have to be so broken that they unequivacably ruin the game. It has yet to be even remotely proven that this is the case with Kabal. Thats as far as Im willing to take this. You are welcome to your opinion by all means, but unless you can convince the overwhelming majority of the community to agree with you, I seriously doubt you will see him banned anytime soon.
Well in my opinion I think he is getting close to ruining the game competitivley. Thanks for actually being civil about this.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Kind of like the things I have been saying about Kabal? He is the best fighter in the game, no weaknesses, and he is better than everyone else in every aspect. These are all technically opinions. But you can't disagree with them, yet you still refuse to admit he needs fixed. Kinda like your saying its hot as hell while sitting in a penguins ass in the middle of Antartica in the dead of winter.
Don't think it matters if it's winter or not in Antartica. ;)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Nevertheless Arez they are right about one thing. You can say what you have to say without talking to people like they are bothersome peasants. From the most famous top player to the most unknown online player stepping onto TYM for the first time, no one wants to be talked to like they are worthless and everyone deserves at least the same common courtesy you would expect to be treated with yourself.
See, this was my entire point. Rob just has the way to put things into words better than I do.

But I realize that I did sort of the same thing by calling you a prick AREZ. So, I'm sorry for that. It's just that whole idea gets on my nerves.