What's new

Shinnok's Sirkle of Terror

Noob
So here's some big news!

For anyone who is local(NY/NJ/PA), and participating in this tournament:

I will be OPENING MY HOUSE UP to all tournament participants to come and play tournament matches ON STREAM.

All players at the house will be able to play matches against each other offline and ON STREAM.

All players at the house will be able to play online matches against players not at the house ON STREAM.

I will also have at least 2 additional setups at the house for casual play as well.

This will make the tournament even more hype if we have players at my house to compete!

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
So here's some big news!

For anyone who is local(NY/NJ/PA), and participating in this tournament:

This will make the tournament even more hype if we have players at my house to compete!
I'd be there for sure if I lived near you.
Playing an MK2 tournament with NO lag?? Awesome!

Noob
I'd be there for sure if I lived near you.
Playing an MK2 tournament with NO lag?? Awesome!

I mean, if you can come, you're welcome to be here. The invitation is for tournament entrants only, but realize that you will still have to play online against the players that don't make it to my place.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I mean, if you can come, you're welcome to be here. The invitation is for tournament entrants only, but realize that you will still have to play online against the players that don't make it to my place.
Wisconsin is pretty far away from the East Coast. Maybe someday I'll get to NEC or whatever that offline tournament is.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
MKillBill Do you have a direct link to the KombatNetwork site that we will need to access?
I'm on the twitchtv site, I think that's the right one. If old streams work on there for me, then it should work the night of the tournament?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
So it turns out my 4th grade self was not nearly as good at MKII as I believed at the time. I downloaded the Arcade Collection and after playing the one other person in the world on ranked matches about 20 games, it turns out I have absolutely no idea how to play this fucking game! Serious, this game has combos?! How do I throw, and why can I be thrown out of an uppercut? How the hell do I even get in range to do an uppercut? And going from back-to-block in Injustice to a designated block button is not working out in my favor...
I tried two matches against Raiden on expert, got fuggin bodied lol.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
MKillBill Do you have a direct link to the KombatNetwork site that we will need to access?
I'm on the twitchtv site, I think that's the right one. If old streams work on there for me, then it should work the night of the tournament?
The tournament will be streamed on 9.95 twitch account, so we'll be sure to post a link once we're ready to go.

Noob
I just want to take the time here to remind everyone that this is a FREE tournament.

As in, someone is going to get either a PS4, Xbox One, or $500 cash... FOR FREE.

There is no registry fee, there is no catch. You play, you win, you get stuff. Period. (and the "stuff" is pretty badass)

-Yes, it's MK2 and this is a generation of MK9 and Injustice players.

-Yes, old school MK2 players (including past tournament champions) will be playing.

BUT (there's always a big but, isn't there, LOL)

The wheel was created to even the playing field to a degree. Everyone literally stands a chance due to the luck of the spin.

btbb99 or DavidGem your opponent? Well what happens if you land on a High Tier slot and they land on Noob Saibot? Big advantage for you and you could eliminate them because of it!

This is a great opportunity for anyone who enters to have a chance of winning the system or money.

Take advantage of this!!!

I just want to take the time here to remind everyone that this is a FREE tournament.

As in, someone is going to get either a PS4, Xbox One, or $500 cash... FOR FREE.

There is no registry fee, there is no catch. You play, you win, you get stuff. Period. (and the "stuff" is pretty badass)

-Yes, it's MK2 and this is a generation of MK9 and Injustice players.

-Yes, old school MK2 players (including past tournament champions) will be playing.

BUT (there's always a big but, isn't there, LOL)

The wheel was created to even the playing field to a degree. Everyone literally stands a chance due to the luck of the spin.

btbb99 or DavidGem your opponent? Well what happens if you land on a High Tier slot and they land on Noob Saibot? Big advantage for you and you could eliminate them because of it!

This is a great opportunity for anyone who enters to have a chance of winning the system or money.

Take advantage of this!!!
where are you? as far as a drive when I came down to LI? reviewing that weekend and my plans

there is an entry fee for this tournament only if you do not already own mk2/mkak on ps3 (or do not live within distance of someone like phil who is willing to let you make use of their stuff)

or don't know someone willing to gameshare mkak or mk2 with you. what about the PC/kaillera?

$10 is peanuts (buying mkak) but i'd hardly ever touch the game again outside of the tournament.

you guys have promoted the heck out of it thus far looking for more entrants and i'm sure everybody and their mother would love to receive a next gen console or cash prize equivalent for free, me included lol. surely though, you have to realize that there are factors or reasons keeping "everyone and their mother" from entering this tournament.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
This is so cool. I'd love to do stuff like this locally in a year or so after I get my finances in order.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
there is an entry fee for this tournament only if you do not already own mk2/mkak on ps3 (or do not live within distance of someone like phil who is willing to let you make use of their stuff)

or don't know someone willing to gameshare mkak or mk2 with you. what about the PC/kaillera?

$10 is peanuts (buying mkak) but i'd hardly ever touch the game again outside of the tournament.

you guys have promoted the heck out of it thus far looking for more entrants and i'm sure everybody and their mother would love to receive a next gen console or cash prize equivalent for free, me included lol. surely though, you have to realize that there are factors or reasons keeping "everyone and their mother" from entering this tournament.

The $10 "entry fee," assuming you don't already own the game, would be going to a good cause - NRS.

I understand where you are coming from , however and that's fine if you and others feel that way. We still plan to put on the greatest online tournament this site has ever seen. Be a part of it or not :)

Tim Static

Adminerator

Consider it like buying a raffle ticket. :coffee:

Noob
If Testyourmight had a free entry, random giveaway for people signed-up to Testyourmight, you would still need a computer to participate. If a gamestore has a free giveaway, you still need to have (or find) transportation to compete (walking isn't an option for people who live too far away).

Kaillera is technically an illegal service unless you own the original roms, but even then I'm not sure if playing online is legal, because you are going beyond just making a backup copy of the rom you own. Even still, in order to play Kaillera one would have to own a computer.

As for not touching the game again, these guys aren't excluding anyone from competing, but it is sort of sad to hear that you wouldn't play the game again once the tournament concludes, seeing how many of the people in the tournament are fans of the old games. I'm biased, and I'm not ashamed to say I hope a fan wins.

I guess nothing in life is free except mana from heaven, but I do understand your reasoning.

I don't see your name on this list good sir... will you be participating?

If Testyourmight had a free entry, random giveaway for people signed-up to Testyourmight, you would still need a computer to participate. If a gamestore has a free giveaway, you still need to have (or find) transportation to compete (walking isn't an option for people who live too far away).

My point exactly. there are reasons ppl are not signing up for this.

Kaillera is technically an illegal service unless you own the original roms, but even then I'm not sure if playing online is legal, because you are going beyond just making a backup copy of the rom you own. Even still, in order to play Kaillera one would have to own a computer.

i only bring this up since the original post about the tournament mentions it. i just interpreted it as just another way for entrants to play their matches, not the tournament being pc exclusive.

As for not touching the game again, these guys aren't excluding anyone from competing, but it is sort of sad to hear that you wouldn't play the game again once the tournament concludes, seeing how many of the people in the tournament are fans of the old games. I'm biased, and I'm not ashamed to say I hope a fan wins.

I guess nothing in life is free except mana from heaven, but I do understand your reasoning.
though i grew up playing all the old games at home, i don't have the passion for them the way the "OGs" of the scene do, or even some of the non-OG players.

i like the games, just not enough to enter.

@MKillBill
i'll keep up with the tournament results as i'm interested just enough in the game and its players to watch just as i do any mk9 or any fighting game tournament i watch today.

Tim Static
i have traumatizing experiences with raffles lol

Noob
though i grew up playing all the old games at home, i don't have the passion for them the way the "OGs" of the scene do, or even some of the non-OG players.

i like the games, just not enough to enter.

@MKillBill i'll keep up with the tournament results as i'm interested just enough in the game and its players to watch just as i do any mk9 or fighting game tournament i watch today.

@Tim Static i have traumatizing experiences with raffles lol

I guess the question is then, do you like the PS4, Xbox One or $500 enough to enter? LOL

Noob
you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't like any of those lol, save for pc master race or a rich person xD. even still, i can't bring myself to do it.:(

I hear you. I'd say I understand, but I really don't. LOL... honestly, even a $10 drop to buy the game for a shot at winning a $500 game system in a tournament where we've gone to great lengths to ensure that the BEST MK2 players couldn't just come in and dominate (see the Noob Saibot and low tier slots) and give everyone a chance at winning this...

I would enter myself, but I'm not eligible.

I hear you. I'd say I understand, but I really don't. LOL... honestly, even a $10 drop to buy the game for a shot at winning a $500 game system in a tournament where we've gone to great lengths to ensure that the BEST MK2 players couldn't just come in and dominate (see the Noob Saibot and low tier slots) and give everyone a chance at winning this...

I would enter myself, but I'm not eligible.

true and i familiarized myself with the sirkle's segments but idk lol. $10 for a "raffle ticket" as tim stated, albeit a more involved raffle. but it's still a toss in the air as to what the sirkle will land on when the time comes.

as for the tier slots, i like to think of a saying i heard somewhere that went something like: "even a master with a rock can beat a novice with a sword" or something to that extent.

also, my dad would love to win a ps4 but wouldn't mind xb1 or $500 either! i know he wouldn't enter this though not unless there was something like a "1-hit sudden death" slot lol

also, why aren't you eligible, phil?

Noob
true and i familiarized myself with the sirkle's segments but idk lol. $10 for a "raffle ticket" as tim stated, albeit a more involved raffle. but it's still a toss in the air as to what the sirkle will land on when the time comes.

as for the tier slots, i like to think of a saying i heard somewhere that went something like: "even a master with a rock can beat a novice with a sword" or something to that extent.

also, my dad would love to win a ps4 but wouldn't mind xb1 or $500 either! i know he wouldn't enter this though not unless there was something like a "1-hit sudden death" slot lol

Again, I hear you...

Like I said, the wheel was put into place to prevent a tournament of nothing but Mileena v. Mileena matchups and make it more interesting...as well as even the playing field.

Yes, there's an element of chance, and YES a player like btbb99 could land on High Tier and run right to Mileena, but take this example:

Ironsoulsmasher vs. btbb99
Your spin gets you Shao Kahn (force any two players of your choosing to play, this automatically trumps btbb99's spin unless btbb99 gets Kahn or mirror match)

btbb gets high tier.

Knowing you have a HUGE opportunity here, you force btbb99 and davidgem to play in a free select match where neither of them get a new spin. You do this because it increases your personal odds of winning by forcing 2 of the best players in the tournament to play, eliminating one of them.

Yes, there's chance involved, but there's HUGE strategy involved as well with each of the slots. This is NOT a guaranteed win for the MK2 masters.