What's new

Shinnok's Sirkle of Terror

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
We broke ground in February with Shao Kahn's Treasure Quest which introduced the largest sums of money ever seen in an online event for this game. Now, as we near the end of the current generation of gaming, we look to outdo ourselves one more time. After months of tireless planning and effort, Ththuvhul, 9.95, Testyourmight.com, and I are pleased to announce the biggest online MK2 tournament of all time and certainly one of the biggest ever to take place on this site.

The prizes for this tournament are enough to make any serious gamer's mouth water. As mentioned back in June, the first prize winner will receive a brand new system of their choice (PS4 or XB1) OR $500 cash. In addtion, cash prizes will be available to runners up. What makes this tournament so different is the addition of chance to the always present element of skill. You could find yourself with a huge advantage or down in a major hole. How so? Read on to find out. Also, part of this event will be streamed on 995phil's stream channel. More details below!

http://twitch.tv/995phil

All player names will be pulled live and their spins performed live on the stream.

Any players at 995Phil's house will play their matches live on stream either against opponents at his house or online against opponents not at his house.

DATE: Saturday, November 9, 2013
TIME: 6pm Eastern (3pm Pacific)

Please note - this is a USA/Canada PS3 only tournament. If you do not reside in the US or Canada, you will not be permitted to enter due to lag concerns. Matches can be played either on MKAK (default), the original PSN MK2 release (aka OG MK2), or on the PC via Kaillera.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
All contestant names will be dropped into a hat. There will be a prize wheel known as the Sirkle of Terror that will constantly spin to determine the types of matches that will be played.

From there, the player chosen from the hat will have to face the Sirkle of Terror and watch it spin one time. After that, another player will be randomly chosen from the hat and both players will have to face each other while taking into account the consequences of the wheel. Play will continue like this until only two players remain. The final two remaining players will play a First-to-Five (best of 9) series to determine the winner. The spinning of the wheel will occur live via stream, so all players will need to be present in the stream to know who they are playing and when to play.

WHEEL SLOTS

The wheel will have 16 different slots, broken down as follows
  • Top Tier - The player must select either Liu Kang, Mileena, or Jax (2 slots)
  • High Tier - The player must select either Kung Lao, Kitana, or Shang (2 slots)
  • Mid Tier - The player must select either Scorpion, Raiden, or Baraka (2 slots)
  • Low Tier - The player must select either Cage, Sub Zero, or Reptile (2 slots)
  • Mirror Match - Regardless of who lands on this space, player 1 must random select and player 2 must choose the same character. This slot trumps all others except in cases where the opposing player can perform a swap. (2 slots)
  • Shao Kahn- The player landing on this spot waits to see his opponent. The Player landing on Shao Kahn must force two players of their choosing to battle it out in a free select match. (Both players free to choose their character.) If both of the originally chosen players happen to land on Shao Kahn, then both P1 and P2 select another player to fight in their respective places. Players who are forced to fight as a result of landing on this space do NOT get a spin of the wheel. (1 slot)
  • Kintaro - The player MUST fight, but can choose their opponent in a free select match (both players free to choose their character) (1 slot)
  • Smoke - The player gets a free pass. Name goes back in the hat and a new name is drawn. This player cannot be drawn again in this round. (1 slot)
  • Jade - The player landing on this spot waits to see his opponent. When the opponent is drawn, the player that landed on Jade can opt to either play or swap themselves out for another randomly pulled opponent. If the player landing on Jade chooses to play, they must free select their character. (1 slot)
  • Noob Saibot - The player landing on this spot may not lose a single round in the match, which will be free select. Loss of a round will result in a loss of the match and elimination from the tournament. (1 slot)
  • Shinnok - The player faces the judgement of the fallen Elder God. The player will be forced to play with a low tier character under Noob Saibot rules. (Low Tier + Cannot lose a round). In addition, players landing on this slot receive a strike. 3 strikes will result in being eliminated from the contest. Should the player forced to play under these conditions manage to win, it will result in the ressurection of a RANDOMLY CHOSEN previously defeated player. The resurrected player will immediately be given a new spin and allowed to continue on in the tournament. A resurrected player cannot be revived a second time. (1 slot)
PRIZES
  • First place = choice of a brand new PS4 or Xbox1, OR $500
  • Second place = $100 GameStop gift card
  • Third place = $50 GameStop gift card
Although this is a free-to-enter tournament, you are welcome to contribute a small donation to the prize fund if you wish. The costs associated with putting on this tournament total well over $700 (systems, cash prizes, the wheel itself) and as much as we love putting on these tournaments, they aren't cheap by any means. Your support is very much appreciated.

GENERAL RULES
  • Single elimination
  • Matches are best of three
  • The final match will be best of 9 (first to 5), free select.
  • All participants will need to access 995phil's stream chat. If you cannot access the stream page, it will be your responsibility to find out from someone else (not TYM staff) who you are playing. The url is: http://twitch.tv/995phil
  • You, yourself, must post in this thread and declare your entry to the tournament. Do not message us through PM, PSN, or through someone else. By posting your intent to enter in this thread, it shows you are a TYM member and you will check the thread for updates rather than relying on us to tell you.
  • All entrants are responsible for checking this thread regularly for updates; including date/time changes.
  • As long as the game can connect, all matches must be played regardless of lag. If you suspect fishy business with a lag switch, report it on the stream page.
  • If you need to withdraw from the tournament, please give advance notice (at least 24 hours if possible) as a courtesy. Repeated no shows will result in being blacklisted from future competitions.
  • If you are currently banned from the Kombat Network, you are not permitted to enter the tournament.
DISQUALIFICATIONS
  • If you are not present when your name is called for a match, you will be auto-DQ'd. Therefore SHOW UP ON TIME!
  • Failing to post score results of a match in the chat, voluntarily quitting in the middle of a match or at any time in the tournament, any sort of suspicious activity (impersonation, ban evasion, etc), or anything else deemed inappropriate or unsportsmanlike is grounds for disqualification. The staff may use their own discretion when making these decisions and reserves the right to disqualify a player at any time.
  • If you trigger the Smoke battle via the Portal stage, you are automatically disqualified.
One last thing: Video recordings are not required, but definitely appreciated!

SIGNUPS
1. Konqrr
2. btbb99
3. mortal_jason
4. Claude VonStroke
5. Ironsoulsmasher PSN=N7Nero
6. Sub0's-Icy-Balls
7. Mikemetroid
8. Darklurkr23
9. dookiebrain
10. LouieMoo
11. ZAQ - PSN: BlurayFanboy3
12. silentassassinx23
13. Kaz
14. Gematria
15. CUKO28
16. jamessmk
17. Edfig81
18. jesse89202
19. DavidGEM
20. aphla5
21. Pooty Mack
22. @classy sasquatch

(More slots will be added as needed)

btbb99

Noob
chance to win a ps4 for playing a game i love and play for free? sign me up! sounds like a lot of fun I cant wait this will be awesome thanks to the guys responsible for setting this up! I like how the tournament gives everyone a better chance to win this should be really interesting

p.s just to be safe DONT TELL MIKECALDWELL ABOUT THIS... HAHAHA

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
chance to win a ps4 for playing a game i love and play for free? sign me up! sounds like a lot of fun I cant wait this will be awesome thanks to the guys responsible for setting this up! I like how the tournament gives everyone a better chance to win this should be really interesting

p.s just to be safe DONT TELL MIKE CALDWELL ABOUT THIS... HAHAHA

Well like you pointed out, I think this tournament does a good job of tilting the odds back to a level playing field. If Caldwell were to get selected by the wheel and then lands on the Noob or Shinnok spaces, most players would have a decent shot of winning at least a ROUND off of him :)

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
for a few seconds i thought it was mk9 news with Shinnok lol.
i wish i could join :(. awesome prize!!! :eek:
i'm really happy cuz people still play mk2 :D, klassic will never die.

Reactions: MKB
The best and most troubling thing (for elites anyway) to understand about our spinning fury is its indifference. The final two players may very well be those that no one has ever heard about before. Whatever happens, someone will be walking away from this with a wide smile on their face.

Reactions: MKB

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
Sign me up please...

Do you have a link to where the stream will be? I know myself and other guys have had trouble watching streams from MK2 tournaments before, and I want to make sure it won't be an issue for me here.

Since players have choices that must be made at the time the wheel is spun, it would seem that EVERYONE would need to be accessing the stream? And hopefully they don't keep that open while they're playing their matches or it will cause even worse lag than MKAK normally has.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Sign me up please...

Do you have a link to where the stream will be? I know myself and other guys have had trouble watching streams from MK2 tournaments before, and I want to make sure it won't be an issue for me here.

Since players have choices that must be made at the time the wheel is spun, it would seem that EVERYONE would need to be accessing the stream? And hopefully they don't keep that open while they're playing their matches or it will cause even worse lag than MKAK normally has.

The stream will be broadcast via the streams tab found at the top of this page. One of the reasons we made this announcement so early was to give all players plenty of time to ensure their computers, smart phones, etc would be able to view the page without issue.

Yes, everyone should be accessing the stream page. You're right in that lag could play a big role with the page open. Probably a good idea to close the page, play your match, then reopen the stream page to report back and watch the wheel again.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
The stream will be broadcast via the streams tab found at the top of this page. One of the reasons we made this announcement so early was to give all players plenty of time to ensure their computers, smart phones, etc would be able to view the page without issue.

Yes, everyone should be accessing the stream page. You're right in that lag could play a big role with the page open. Probably a good idea to close the page, play your match, then reopen the stream page to report back and watch the wheel again.
Ok will check it out thanks.

Also, I'm guessing if one person lands on Mirror Match, it negates the other player landing on pretty much anything else? Coz it forces Player 1 to Random and the other to choose the same character.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Ok will check it out thanks.

Also, I'm guessing if one person lands on Mirror Match, it negates the other player landing on pretty much anything else? Coz it forces Player 1 to Random and the other to choose the same character.

Yeah, mirror match basically trumps the other spaces. The only way out of a mirror match is to land on a space like Shao Kahn, Jade, Smoke, Kintaro, etc.

Noob
This is going to be an extremely fun tournament.

There is going to be some serious hype and tension regarding wheel spins.

Think about it: Lets say you get a Jade spin(play or swap yourself, but you get to free select your character), and your opponent is someone like btbb99 who is an extremely high level player, but his spin is Noob Saibot(which gives him free select on his character)

-Do you think you can take a ROUND from him?

-Do you swap yourself out in hopes of someone better than yourself getting pulled and potentially knocking him out of the tournament?

-Do you chance that you could get picked randomly AGAIN from the hat and be forced to face him ANYWAY but this time with a DIFFERENT spin?

Nothing... NOTHING, can prepare you...

Since Shinnok existed long before MK2 took place, I don't see much of a problem.

Shinnok's Sirkle looks better than Shinnok's Circle.