What's new

Shangs f3 busted?

I looked for a thread on this but found nothing.

Edit: it's not broken it's intentional.

Okay so Shangs F3 hits low, but cannot hit parrys. iv tested a few characters out and all can hit kungs and kratos's (and smoke ex) parrys with a standing low attack like kano's F3. However Shang's F3 cannot punnish Parrys even though its a low, instead shang will get punnished by the parry recieveing unfair damage. Shang is limited to useing d3 or d4 to punnish parrys. this makes fighting smoke and kung very difficult for shang and fighting kratos impossable.

Is there any other characters out there that can't punnish parrys with a standing low? Or something im not seeing hear? If not this is clearly your text book property related bug and need to be fixed immediately

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Maybe it depends how close your hitbox is to the space the Parry takes up?
That's the only thing I could think; that you yourself physically touch the Parrying opponent before the F3 hits them, and because you're in hit animation, the Parry's designed to do its job when its come into contact with. Even though you're throwing an attack that should win the trade, his Parry hits you before your F3 hits him.

Either way, that's friggin' strange.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Some characters can't sweep parries like Cyber Sub's either.

Altaire

Noob
Some characters can't sweep parries like Cyber Sub's either.
This was fixed in the September patch, IIRC. Before that, a lot of lows (and around half the sweeps) could be parried. I think Shang's F3 is currently the only low that can still be parried, but initially, you could parry a LOT of low combo starters (Jax's F3, Liu Kang's B3, etc.).

I could be wrong, but I don't think any sweeps can still be parried.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
I looked for a thread on this but found nothing.

Okay so Shangs F3 hits low, but cannot hit parrys. iv tested a few characters out and all can hit kungs and kratos's (and smoke ex) parrys with a standing low attack like kano's F3. However Shang's F3 cannot punnish Parrys even though its a low, instead shang will get punnished by the parry recieveing unfair damage. Shang is limited to useing d3 or d4 to punnish parrys. this makes fighting smoke and kung very difficult for shang and fighting kratos impossable.

Is there any other characters out there that can't punnish parrys with a standing low? Or something im not seeing hear? If not this is clearly your text book property related bug and need to be fixed immediately
Kung Lao doesnt have a parry, i believe its Liu Kang you're talking about ;)

Like Foxy Grandpa said, theres a recovery period where they cant block and you can punish after every parry. After Johnny Cage's "comon" is a good example.

Altaire

Noob
Why don't you just ground skull into combo? Or is there something I'm missing?
Also this, what the hell? Ground skull is already one of Shang's better whiff punishes, why wouldn't you just use that?

Trying to "punish" the parry is pointless. If he blocks as he's coming out of the parry, you aren't going to be able to capitalize on it. Even if he does a repeat parry, you have a window of around 15 to 20 frames to hit him. If you can circumvent this altogether by using a reliable whiff punish, there's no point, and a lot of characters can do this. If Raiden baits a parry, he can reaction superman. If Sub baits a parry, he can reaction ice ball. If Kitana baits a parry, she can reaction fan lift. The list goes on.

The idea of punishing a parry is almost as silly as the idea of "punishing" Raiden's teleport, where people probably think that hitting someone out of the followup attack means that they're punishing the teleport itself.

Maybe it depends how close your hitbox is to the space the Parry takes up?
That's the only thing I could think; that you yourself physically touch the Parrying opponent before the F3 hits them, and because you're in hit animation, the Parry's designed to do its job when its come into contact with. Even though you're throwing an attack that should win the trade, his Parry hits you before your F3 hits him.

Either way, that's friggin' strange.
A good thought but shangs f3 hits them right in the foot, and all character can D1 parrys

also CSZ can sweep parrys. It must of been patched. Shang is the only broken parry hitting character.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
No. F3 is 22 frames and can be baited. you don't find it a problem that shang has the only low attack in the game that can be parryed?
Ehh. It sucks, but he's got enough up-close options to make up for it.

In a world where Sheeva's hitbox invalidates her awesomeness, it could be worse, I suppose.

I did some Shang search and I found a great way to respond to parrys in some DetroitBallin videos <- my new hero
but none the less this seems like a bug to me, and should be considered for a fix if so. Its not like he'll get blown up with out it

f3 is so annoying... especially in the corner when it whiffs after a upskull. i rarely use it, i usually just punish parries with a 221/f434/gs.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
i dont really see this as a big problem,shangs f3 is terrible and i havent found a use for it at all.his godlike d3 more than makes up for it.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
d4 upskull to start pressure. or just d4 upskull if he doesn't block the upskull its a combo, if he does throw him?

It's been a while since I've posted this. It was when I was just picking up the character.
Now a days this only makes sense
F3 ain't broke

LAMG

Noob
Imo F3 was the best normal shang had until they "fixed" armor on wakeup.
i was compiling a list of things that F3 would stuff on wakeup,therefore, making a rushdown Shang viable
two weeks down the drain :(