What's new

Shang Tsung General Discussion

Kanvis

Noob
I think it is worth mentioning, after the recent Hotfix, Shang can now grab the opponent after Up-Skull is blocked. Before Shang's throw would wiff if a throw attempt is made during the block stun from a Up-Skull. A nice addition to add into Shang's Mix-up game.

EDIT: nevermind, I tested it on a version that wasn't patch. I guess Shang always got free throws off Skulls. Not sure why I thought otherwise before.

I think it is worth mentioning, after the recent Hotfix, Shang can now grab the opponent after Up-Skull is blocked. Before Shang's throw would wiff if a throw attempt is made during the block stun from a Up-Skull. A nice addition to add into Shang's Mix-up game.

EDIT: nevermind, I tested it on a version that wasn't patch. I guess Shang always got free throws off Skulls. Not sure why I thought otherwise before.
You had me going crazy with this post, lol I was like I cant replicate the issue trying all sorts of things. LOL thanks for the clarification.

Hey guys, in playing around with Shang and trying to maximize damage on realistic combos and I'd like to know if I'm doing ok. Forgive me if this is common knowledge or something, but I've not seen it posted anywhere:

f4, 3, 4, mid skull, far skull, ex ground skull, close skull, mid skull, (mid skull)

If the last skull of the ex hits then the close skull leads into 2 mid skulls before they hit ground. I'm on xbox, so I don't know if the damage changes post-patch, but for me it does 40% with only one mid skull at the end, and 42% with both (starting from jump-in punch). If you start with an up skull to jump-in punch, the damage jumps to 44% and 48% respectively (on my system).

also...

2, 2, 1, close skull, mid skull, ex ground skull, close skull, close skull (mid skull)

Here I end with 2 close skulls and 1 mid skull, which is the reverse of the above. The same as above is true that if they stay high enough in the juggle that all skulls hit, a final mid skull is possible. With jump-in punch, damage is 41% or 43% depending on the final hit, and if you do up skull to jump-in punch then you get 44% or 49% (again, on my system).

Unrelated to the above, I found a couple of nice juggles. The first is off an air-to-air punch that leads to 24% damage, the second is from landing a far ground skull and leads to 30% or more without using a single breakable hit.

After the air-to-air punch juggles:
dash (input as you fall), 1, mid ground skull (gotta cancel quick), far ground skull, ex ground skull, dash, uppercut (input the dash and uppercut as quickly as possible after recovering from the ex)

After the far ground skull:
ex ground skull, front up skull, close ground skull, mid ground skull

Am I doing ok on maximizing damage, and has any of this changed significantly with patching?

SWBeta

TYMCP 1 and 2 Creator
Anyone here who has the ability to record combos and has made some combo vids or clips that would like to help out with a big project, please PM me.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Those combos are the best I have found for shang damage wise. You can also use soul steal at the end instead of the last ground skull.

jp, 2, 2, 1, mid skull, far skull, ex ground skull, close skull, mid skull, soul steal

You can also do the above combo with most of the launches such as f+4, 3, 4 and f+3, 4.
If I'm not looking to soul steal I always try to setup a up skull so I can keep pressure on. here are some of them.

jp, 2, 2, 1, mid skull, far skull, ex ground skull, close skull, mid skull, up skull, soul steal
(Sometimes people try to jump at you after up skull hits the soul steal stops this. Also if the up skull hits the soul steal will combo off it.)

jp, 2, 2, 1, mid skull, far skull, ex ground skull, close skull, wait and dash, up skull
(This one brings you close enough so that you can jump in on the opponent with the safety of the up skull.)

Also if you expect the opponent will roll back set the up skull to the behind version to still catch them and maintain pressure.

shura30

Shura
jp, 2, 2, 1, mid skull, far skull, ex ground skull, close skull, mid skull, soul steal
i've noticed after the ex skulls a bit of inconsistency linking any finisher

close skull and upskull like to miss from time to time either dropping the damage and leaving shang in a bad position due to the skull animation

Yes after much testing I have also found it to be inconsistent. I have found sometimes with say a f+4, 3, 4, mid skull, far skull ex ground skull that they may not get hit by the last skull which drops them too far away. After testing you must hit the ex ground skull as late as possible to get all 3 hits in and the follow ups.

I have been trying a new combo which goes a little something like this.
launch(any will do) mid skull, far skull, ex ground skull, dash back, close skull, 4, soul steal or up/ground skull

This is a question for anyone using shang and playing with a pad. I use the hori ex2 pad and its miles better than the standard xbox pad but am i the only one having problems doing his soul steal? Its a weird motion and i have a really hard time landing that move or any move that replicates those motions on any other characters. Is there a special technique for pad players?.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
This is a question for anyone using shang and playing with a pad. I use the hori ex2 pad and its miles better than the standard xbox pad but am i the only one having problems doing his soul steal? Its a weird motion and i have a really hard time landing that move or any move that replicates those motions on any other characters. Is there a special technique for pad players?.
Try doing the input with your left thumb on just one motion(slide it). It's way faster than tryin to land right, down, up really fast.
Might as well want to try HitBox or mod your own stick.

Belial

Noob
regarding inconsistant ex skull

just walk slightly before doing ex skull. dont dash , ever - due to game mechanics it reads simultaneous presses as either 4,blk OR blk,4 - if the latter happens you wont get EX version, just dash cancel. Same goes for every EX special in the game. You can do normal versions as usual.

Another thing I noticed (bug?) that after close ground skull is blocked at point blank and you crossup jump punch, it will wiff if opp just stay ducking. but if you delay jump a bit - punch connects. try with dummy in practice. really weird

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Went to a local scene where MK was being played and when I told them I main Shang I got laughed at since 'Shang Tsung sucks cause he's not top tier.' smh+/facepalm

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
This game needs a much better training mode. Seriously, cant really experiment or test anything in it's current state.

I need to know if low poke followed by Upskull gives frame advantage (D+3, D+U+2)

Albo

Noob
This game needs a much better training mode. Seriously, cant really experiment or test anything in it's current state.

I need to know if low poke followed by Upskull gives frame advantage (D+3, D+U+2)
it should do but d4 close ground skull leaves you at significant advantage.

Shady

Noob
Fellow Shang Tsung warriors. I have recently picked him up. While I have no problem setting up and executing his BnBs, I have trouble controlling the screen with the skulls... Any advice on that end?