What's new

Shang Tsung General Discussion

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Haven't touched any MK game for like a decade at least.

Sorry, I don't know the lingo around here fully yet. Bare with me a little!

corner bp, bp, fp, close GE, close GE - 26% dmg
corner bp, bp, fp xx close GE, uppercut - 28% dmg
bp, bp, fp xx [close or center] GE, EX-GE - ~28% - close or center GE might depending on position. no corner, otherwise EX-GE doesn't get full damage.
bp, bp, fp xx FS - 19% dmg
bp, bp, fp xx EX-FS - 24% dmg
b.fp, bp, fp, bk xx EX-GE
b.fp, bp, fp, bk xx XRAY - 35% dmg
b.fp, bp, fp, bk, far GE, far GE - 24% dmg
f.fk bk xx XRAY - 37% dmg
bk xx close GE xx XRAY
corner b.fp, bp, fp xx close GE, uppercut

You can confirm a lot of the end of combos into XRAY. It's probably a similar trait that other characters might have too.

b.BP xx XRAY 38% dmg

MDK

Noob
some combos i made in practice

midscreen combos without using xray or EX (1bar):

1. :l :bp, :l :l :fp (15%)
2. :r :bk :fk :bk, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk (29%)
3. :r :fk :bk, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk, (27%)
4. :l :fp :bp :fp :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk (24%)
5. :l :fp :bp :fp, :d :u :bk, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk (29%)
6. :bp :bp :fp, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk (31%)

midscreen combos when using EX(1bar):

1. :r :bk :fk :bk, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk :en, :d :u :bp, :fp :bp, :r :d :l :fk (36%)
2. :r :fk :bk, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk :en, :fp :bp, :r :d :l :fk (35%)
3. :bp :bp :fp, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk :en, :fp :bp, :r :d :l :fk (38%)
4. :l :fp :bp :fp, :d :u :bk, :d :l :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk :en, :fp, :r :d :l :fk, (35%)
5. :l :fp :bp :fp :bk, :d :r :bk, :d :r :bk :en, :fp :bp, :r :d :l :fk (31%)
6. :l :bp, :l :l :fp :en (20%)

if you dont like ending juggles with :fp :bp, :r :d :l :fk then you can do
:r :bk :fk, :d :l :bk but note that you loose 1% damage :p

Midscreen Xray combos:

1. :l :bp, :x (38%)
2. :bp :bp :fp, :d :l :bk, :x (42%)
3. :r :fk :bk, :d :l :bk, :x (39%)
4. :l :fp :bp :fp, :d :u :bk, :x (36%)
5. :l :fp :bp :fp :bk, :x (35%)

Wall Combos (im not very creative here :/ ) (more combos are coming soon)

1 :r :bk :fk :bk, :d :u :bk, :fp, :fp, :fp, :fp, :l :fp :bp :fp :bk, :d :u :bk (33%)

some of them i wrote are already posted but i was to lazy to watch for it^^

Not the best of corner combos but not too shabby none the less:

:l:fp:bp:fp>:l:fp:bp:fp>:d:u:bk>:fp:bp>:r:d:l:fk (28%)

:bp:bp:fp > :d:u:bp > :d:l:bp > :d:r:bp > :d:r:bp (35%)
The timing on the final :d:r:bp is kinda tight though

And you can get a quick soulsteal from it by just using the :d:u:bp >:r:d:l:fk

SUPARNOVAX

^well shang does get damage boost once that soul is takin.
Yeah, and some characters have a good 40% combo without xray. The possibilities you can get if you could just steal soul and catch someone in their own high damage combo is quite the delight.

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
it like if you main Shang you main the cast. lol

its going to take me sometime to become deadly with shang and morphs.

SUPARNOVAX

Yeah basically. But with the limited time on morphs, I need to get a grip on the basic mix ups. It seems like he can zone decently.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
@Tom

Great guide. I pretty much learned those tools in practice mode but I need help with effective counters. If someone gets in on me I'm screwed. He is most certainly a character you need distance to be effective with.

More specifically, let's talk jump kick or punch combo starters. What's his bet anti air? His upper cut is slow and close ground ball is stuffed if he gets hit. Is it best to just do tracking air ball?

Other than that, what would you consider his bread and butter combo starter. Is it 221 or f34 or f434? In a mix up situation f34 is great but to counter a missed combo it's too slow and gets stuffed on startup alot. Thoughts?

So i'm wondering about the validity of Shang's soul steal. 5 secs isn't enough really to land a hit and get off a decent combo. You are at advantage but you are also a 1/4 of the screen away after most combos.

SUPARNOVAX

Up skull has enough hit stun to combo with jump in punch. But you would have to use it in a zoning method. Once they get hit with a close ranged Up skull, you get in that ass.

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
Yeah up skull (the one that tracks) is pretty beast I think it causes a stagger state, and if you got a stock of meter its an easy 50% mid screen. Speaking of meter, how are you guys handling your meter usage with Shang are you burning it for enhanced specials and breakers or saving it up for X ray?

I don't know about shang because his xray is REALLY good. It pretty much starts up instantly, goes 3/4 of the screen and has super armour on it. If anyone does anything within xray range; you can punish them for it. Then again he doesn't have many defensive options at his disposal, so using a breaker to go back to your zoning - especially of your zoning game is strong - might be more beneficial. EX skulls can be used to pretty much combo into a soul steal from any where on the screen and maximize your damage potential off random hits.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
First of all, I've finally settled down on Shang as my main! Hopefully I can get some gameplay vids of him up soon.

Until then I recorded some simple but very useful combos:

SUPARNOVAX

I don't really like giving up EX meter to specials unless I know I can get a nice combo involving Ground eruption. His Xray is so good.

DJV13

Noob
I found this combo a few days ago i dunno if anyone has found it yet.....

45% NO METER( you gotta be 3 dashes outside the corner with your opponents back to the corner )

j.1/2, 221, DB4, dash, f434, DU4, b1214, soul steal

DJV13

Noob
Yeah your not kidding Im trying to make this my B&B but getting the last far ground skull to hit out is pretty annoying, any tips?
You gotta do the motion for the last skull at the end of the animation of the skull before and you gotta make sure your doing the other skulls early so the opponent doesn't get really low.