What's new

Sarah Michelle Gellar reportedly declined a role in Mortal Kombat

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Source: Edmund Tran of GAMES hub - Link

Sarah Michelle Gellar (now Sarah Michelle Prinze), was supposedly approached to appear in a Mortal Kombat game, according to her husband Freddie Prinze Jr. Prinze divulged the details of the failed casting on an episode of his wrestling podcast, Wrestling With Freddie.

As picked up by GamesHub contributor Jam Walker, who first shared the details on Twitter, the actress famously known for Buffy The Vampire Slayer, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Scooby-Doo was reportedly approached to be in a Mortal Kombat game, but declined due to dissatisfaction with the proposed terms of appearance.

In an episode discussing crossovers between competing wrestling promotions WWE and AEW, Prinze and podcast co-host Jeff Dye spoke about dream character crossovers between rival pop culture brands like Marvel and DC Comics, as well as Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.

Dye brought up Mortal Kombat’s penchant for introducing guest characters from film iconic action film franchises to its roster, like Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Terminator and Todd McFarlane’s Spawn in Mortal Kombat 11. Prinze then brought up the tidbit of his partner, Sarah Michelle Prinze (nee Gellar), having been asked to appear in a Mortal Kombat game.

“They tried to get my wife in Mortal Kombat, but they couldn’t afford her,” Prinze said. “She’s got her price.”

“When she did Call of Duty that set a certain precedent, and they weren’t able to… they couldn’t afford her.”

Sarah Michelle Gellar previously starred as herself in Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010) as a playable character in the Zombies campaign, Call of the Dead. She provided her voice and likeness alongside fellow actors Danny Trejo, Michael Rooker, and Robert Englund, who formed a film crew led by zombie cinema pioneer, George A. Romero.

“My wife’s the shit, bro. She’s the truth. She don’t play. She knows her worth,” Prinze said.

Whether Gellar would have portrayed an existing Mortal Kombat character or reprised one of her iconic screen roles like Buffy Summers, it would have been a very entertaining prospect to see her likeness eviscerating Mortal Kombat characters in R-rated fashion. That fantasy will likely be forever relegated to just a dream crossover – but what a dream.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yep, probably was to do Buffy, anyway, I much preffer that, if NRS want indeed to use the character, to follow up with another actress .... or maybe using Kristy Swanson likeness, hehe , the original Buffy :)

Sarah probably asked for 10 million for this, lol ! Probably out of mind, sure ...... :p

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Activision must have paid her a lot 12 years ago for her part in the Call of the Dead DLC for Black Ops (Hell I bought it just because she was in it) & she paid apparently $350K an episode for Buffy. Boon has been teasing Buffy for years on Twitter for ages, even did a poll think for MK11 (think Buffy placed 2nd).

yep, probably was to do Buffy, anyway, I much preffer that, if NRS want indeed to use the character, to follow up with another actress .... or maybe using Kristy Swanson likeness, hehe , the original Buffy :)

Sarah probably asked for 10 million for this, lol ! Probably out of mid, sure ...... :p
So many Buffy fans would absolutely HATE it if they got Kristy Swanson as Buffy like almost an entire fanbase. My older brother is a diehard Buffy fan & cannot stand the Kristy Swanson Buffy movie even after 25 years. Also the Kristy Swanson movie they'd have to darken her version of Buffy to Sarah Michelle Gellar's standards for her version to actually fit in Mortal Kombat. Now NRS has an excuse to get David Boreanaz or Eliza Dushku now, I'd rather have Angel or Faith than Buffy anyways - both kick way more ass or even better get Amy Acker to play Illyria again, way better fit for Mortal Kombat with all the gods, Vitrumites & Homelander.

She may know her worth but I'm glad NRS didn't pay out the ass to get her and the deal fell through.

I haven't given a crap about Buffy since Angel ended.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
She may know her worth but I'm glad NRS didn't pay out the ass to get her and the deal fell through.

I haven't given a crap about Buffy since Angel ended.
The Buffy, Angel & the other Buffyverse comics & graphic novels are amazing like Fray is amazing.

Not like Megan Fox is any better lol and im sure they paid her a pretty penny for that "performance".
Well Sarah Michelle Gellar has done a lot of voice acting in the past & the ones that I remember were great.

Funny thing is Megan Fox played April O’Neil in a bad live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies & Sarah Michelle Gellar voiced April O’Neil in a great animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

I wonder what her price was considering NRS was able to get Sylvester Stallone, Keith David and John Cena lmao
Sylvester Stallone is a weird case to me as he’s by far the biggest star NRS has ever had. During the time Rambo was released, Rambo crossed over in several other games to promote Last Blood but Sylvester Stallone only actually voiced the character once - Mortal Kombat 11. Also Keith David is in everything nowadays & I doubt he would pass up playing Spawn again as he said on Twitter Spawn is one of his favourite characters to play. John Cena is cross-promotion for the upcoming Peacemaker season (similar to JK Simmons) & he's a Mortal Kombat fan. They still can't seem to get Antony Starr for Homelander though sadly even though that's cross-promotion too.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Just buy the character from the parent company and get a sound alike voice actor. People like CHARACTERS not actors. No one gives a shit about actors. Make her be Buffy, look different and get a new actor. Like James Bond.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Just buy the character from the parent company and get a sound alike voice actor. People like CHARACTERS not actors. No one gives a shit about actors. Make her be Buffy, look different and get a new actor. Like James Bond.
Yeah, no. The actors are what brings the characters to life. People talked mad shit about NRS not getting Arnold for Terminator. Spawn wouldn't have been half as cool as he was in MK11 if some jobber was voicing him instead of Keith David.

Also what a ridiculous solution. "We can't afford the actresses likeness, so lets buy the entire character rights themselves. Surely that's cheaper"

Art Lean

Noob
Yeah, no. The actors are what brings the characters to life. People talked mad shit about NRS not getting Arnold for Terminator. Spawn wouldn't have been half as cool as he was in MK11 if some jobber was voicing him instead of Keith David.

Also what a ridiculous solution. "We can't afford the actresses likeness, so lets buy the entire character rights themselves. Surely that's cheaper"
Just a few genuinely curious questions based upon your responses (since I don't have any interest in guest characters personally, so never followed any of the fan feedback):

* What was the fanbase's opinion on MK9's Freddy having Englund's voice but basically Haley's face?

* Would fans have not accepted Michael Jai White (from the Spawn movie) playing Spawn as a fallback if they couldn't get Keith David, especially since he had also played Jax in both MK Rebirth and MK Legacy?

* Do Batman fans not mind that the Joker who appeared in MK11 is an original portrayal of the character rather than one of the movie actors, like Jack Nicholson, Jared Leto, Joaquin Phoenix or even cartoon VA Mark Hamill? Granted I appreciate those guys would cost a bomb, but still, does that not somewhat fall under the umbrella of just making cheaper use of generic "character rights"?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Just a few genuinely curious questions based upon your responses (since I don't have any interest in guest characters personally, so never followed any of the fan feedback):

* What was the fanbase's opinion on MK9's Freddy having Englund's voice but basically Haley's face?

* Would fans have not accepted Michael Jai White (from the Spawn movie) playing Spawn as a fallback if they couldn't get Keith David, especially since he had also played Jax in both MK Rebirth and MK Legacy?

* Do Batman fans not mind that the Joker who appeared in MK11 is an original portrayal of the character rather than one of the movie actors, like Jack Nicholson, Jared Leto, Joaquin Phoenix or even cartoon VA Mark Hamill? Granted I appreciate those guys would cost a bomb, but still, does that not somewhat fall under the umbrella of just making cheaper use of generic "character rights"?
MK9 Freddy didn't have a voice. He had grunts and laughs, but never actually said anything and fans were disappointed that Freddy didn't have any of his personality

Fans might have been alright with MJW as Spawn, but when it comes to an iconic portrayal everyone thinks of Keith. His voice is legendary in voice acting. It's obvious they didn't shoot for movie Spawn, they went with comic/animated Spawn. .

Joker I feel is a different case because Injustice had already established Richard Epcar as NRS' Joker, so when he came over to MK it just felt like "this is Injustice Joker, so ofc Injustice Jokers actor should play him"

It would be different if they tried to pass him off as Bruce Tim's Joker, but gave him a different actor.

Jynks

American Hero Worship is baffling. Why do you care who plays anyone? No one cares who plays Hamlet. People would rather see a 77 year old man in a muscle suit play hellboy than a new actor or a 80 year old play Indiana Jones? ... I mean it is truly bizzar.

If they just did it without her it would be fine. Same way every joker is fine or batman or doctor who... Sure people will have favs but the CHARICTAR, the important bit people love can live on.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Joker I feel is a different case because Injustice had already established Richard Epcar as NRS' Joker, so when he came over to MK it just felt like "this is Injustice Joker, so ofc Injustice Jokers actor should play him"

It would be different if they tried to pass him off as Bruce Tim's Joker, but gave him a different actor.
I think I read somewhere Mark Hamill wasn't even approached by NRS to play the Joker. As iconic as Mark Hamill's Joker is, Richard Epcar & Troy Baker along with Alan Tudyk's Joker in Harley Quinn are great portrayals of the character & the Joker's voice is in good hands.

American Hero Worship is baffling. Why do you care who plays anyone? No one cares who plays Hamlet. People would rather see a 77 year old man in a muscle suit play hellboy than a new actor or a 80 year old play Indiana Jones... I mean it is truly bizzar.
People want to see Ron Perlman as Hellboy with Guillermo del Toro directing again because David Harbour & Neil Marshall screwed the pooch & nobody like it & Ron Perlman even said he wants to do it because he owes it to Hellboy fans. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones & the movie before Dial of Destiny, Kingdom of Crystal Skull was terrible & Harrison Ford still wants to do more Indiana Jones movies so why not? The same goes to Tom Cruise who is 61 & Keanu Reeves who's 59, they want to do Mission Impossible & John Wick movies until they aren't physically able to do them anymore & as long as people want to see them.

Last edited:

Jynks

He's almost 80 years old.. He can't play hellboy. It's is ridiculous to even ask it.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
She probably didn't want to do it cuz Joss Whedon of maybe and IDK. plus she likely would have been Buffy Slaying the vampires IE Nitara. Plus a lot of her roles are acted the same and the He-man netflix show was not good IMO. She likely did not know the MK lore or care. I mean Megan Fox at least said years ago she liked the MK games. Plus, i feel Megan Fox will do whatever she is offered. Which as an actor she should.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

1. Never realized it was supposed to be other guy tbh

2. I think people would have dug Jai White, he is who I think of when thinking of Spawn. But you can't do better the Keith David

3. Joker was in a similar style as Injustice though, I think the same VA too

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
He's almost 80 years old.. He can't play hellboy. It's is ridiculous to even ask it.
I'd still watch it if it happened.

Anyways there's a new reboot in the works with Jack Kesy (he played Black Tom Cassidy in Deadpool 2) playing Hellboy with Brian Taylor directing who I am kinda familiar with, hope it's good or we might see Ron Pearlman as Hellboy again.

Also Sylvester Stallone is almost 80 & he still wants to do action movies on top of his own stunts & Tulsa King is pretty badass.

The Buffy, Angel & the other Buffyverse comics & graphic novels are amazing like Fray is amazing.
Didn't they bring Warren back among other silly things in the comic runs? I'll pass.

I will say though I don't doubt that this happened. We have a vampire on the roster in Nitara,
So having Buffy fight Megan Fox vampire would have been a big attention piece for NRS.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
She probably didn't want to do it cuz Joss Whedon of maybe and IDK. plus she likely would have been Buffy Slaying the vampires IE Nitara. Plus a lot of her roles are acted the same and the He-man netflix show was not good IMO. She likely did not know the MK lore or care. I mean Megan Fox at least said years ago she liked the MK games. Plus, i feel Megan Fox will do whatever she is offered. Which as an actor she should.
I do think Joss Whedon has several mental disorders as it would make a lot of sense to why he's so socially retarded & explains the way how he treats other people (& himself) which is why a lot of his projects are to such a high standard as I personally love Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse. Serenity, Much Ado About Nothing, Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog & the Avengers movies he's responsible for. I do agree with you about Sarah Michelle Gellar probably wasn't a fan & hell neither was Freddie Prinze Jr. by the sound of it as his co-host was telling him about Mortal Kombat, seemed facinated by it though especially the origins around Johnny Cage. Also MK1 is the biggest projects Megan Fox has done in quite awhile as the last thing I remember her in was the second terrible Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie & playing Reagan in New Girl besides that just tabloid nonsense with Machine Gun Kelly.

Didn't they bring Warren back among other silly things in the comic runs? I'll pass.

I will say though I don't doubt that this happened. We have a vampire on the roster in Nitara,
So having Buffy fight Megan Fox vampire would have been a big attention piece for NRS.
What happens is during Buffy Season 8, Amy resurrects him & uses her magic to keep him alive as he still has no skin as Dark Willow flayed his ass & together they plot against Buffy & Willow then he eventually truly dies after Buffy destroys The Seed of Wonder which was the source of all magic so without Amy's magic that was keeping him alive turned him into a puddle of blood & bones.

There's 4 other canon seasons, there's Angel comics that are pretty great especially Angel & Illyria (my favourite Buffyverse character) but I recommend Fray: Future Slayer which is about a vampire slayer in the 23rd century that was trained by a demon (I have the trade paperback collection).

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Exactly.. Hero worship.
Nah, I just really like Ron Perlman.

The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery, Hellboy series, Blade II, Sons of Anarchy, The Punisher: Dirty Laundry, Teen Titans as Slade (Amazing casting) & all the games he’s in that I really like such as Gun, the Fallout series, Halo & Payday 2. All awesome.

Also any guy who’d go through 4 hours of makeup to dress up as Hellboy to surprise a Make-A-Wish kid with leukaemia day seems like a decent dude to me.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do for whatever reasons you choose (when it comes to stuff like this I mean). But it must be nice being so rich that you can turn down offers from WB/NRS where you’d have to do very minimal work, put in almost no effort (see Megan Fox), and get an easy paycheck. Honestly, all they’re essentially paying you for is your NIL. Again, Megan Fox and Ronda have shown/proven that.