What's new

"RIP REO" You guys really think I wouldn't respond to this blatant disrespect?

Dizz_88

Noob
reo is back! hey reo can you explain this mileena tech i don't really understand it. something about the way you uppercut your hitbox changes and you can't be hit.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
reo is back! hey reo can you explain this mileena tech i don't really understand it. something about the way you uppercut your hitbox changes and you can't be hit.
He's saying that you can crouch invisibly during the recovery frame's of Mileena's whiffed uppercut from crouch -- so that even though her model appears to be standing, her hurtbox is crouch-sized and high attacks will whiff.

I'm gonna break down each situation for the safe jump grab.

If you usually go for djk grab, their option is to either crouch block or tech the grab. Teching puts you back into the neutral game plus opponent loses 1% health. Crouch blocking will probably blow up the grab attempt. The opponent could also take the djk for 7%.

If the opponent guesses wrong, you either get a 50% combo or 112/21 cutter into another mix up.

If you usually go for jip grab, their option is to duck and punish (or maybe cross up). The opponent could also take the jip, poke or tech, but since every other option is equally risky (or more risky), let's assume the opponent is smart and just ducks/cross up.

If the opponent guesses wrong, you get 112/21 cutter into another mix up.

Now let's say the opponent wants the safest option, meaning he'd rather tech the djk grab every time. Guessing right with djk grab means 112/21 cutter, same with jip grab. Guessing wrong with djk grab means you take off 1% of their health and are back in the neutral game. You also do slightly more chip with jik than jip. Guessing wrong with jip grab means eating a full combo.

Now let's say the opponent wants the most rewarding option, meaning he'd rather crouch block the djk grab every time. Guessing right means you get a full combo if you usually go for djk grab. Guessing right when you usually go for jip grab means 112/21 cutter. Guessing wrong means a full combo either way.

So djk grab is probably the best option off a safe jump. The only problem is that it might be easier to tech on reaction.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I'm gonna break down each situation for the safe jump grab.

If you usually go for djk grab, their option is to either crouch block or tech the grab. Teching puts you back into the neutral game plus opponent loses 1% health. Crouch blocking will probably blow up the grab attempt. The opponent could also take the djk for 7%.

If the opponent guesses wrong, you either get a 50% combo or 112/21 cutter into another mix up.
That's cool that the opponent still loses 1% for teching a grab. I didn't know that. Why would crouch blocking blow up the grab attempt?

If you usually go for jip grab, their option is to duck and punish (or maybe cross up). The opponent could also take the jip, poke or tech, but since every other option is equally risky (or more risky), let's assume the opponent is smart and just ducks/cross up.

If the opponent guesses wrong, you get 112/21 cutter into another mix up.
Is a jip into a throw technically cancel advantage or just block advantage? If it's only block advantage then you would be at neutral after the jip, meaning they could blow you up with a full combo instead of trying to tech or take the jip. Hope that question makes sense lol.

Now let's say the opponent wants the safest option, meaning he'd rather tech the djk grab every time. Guessing right with djk grab means 112/21 cutter, same with jip grab. Guessing wrong with djk grab means you take off 1% of their health and are back in the neutral game. You also do slightly more chip with jik than jip. Guessing wrong with jip grab means eating a full combo.

Now let's say the opponent wants the most rewarding option, meaning he'd rather crouch block the djk grab every time. Guessing right means you get a full combo if you usually go for djk grab. Guessing right when you usually go for jip grab means 112/21 cutter. Guessing wrong means a full combo either way.

So djk grab is probably the best option off a safe jump. The only problem is that it might be easier to tech on reaction.
Walk up grab is generally the best option imo. Since the grab is still guaranteed if timed correctly it's less risk and equal reward. The grab might be slightly easier to tech on reaction, but most people have trouble doing this anyway especially if tournament nerves kick in.

Special highs whiff on crouch block stun. Throw is special high. I guess it's a "special" kind of special high, since it will beat out low pokes.

You can't cancel a jip into grab, therefore the opponent can just duck after jip and blow it up.

Walking up into a grab is risky. It's not 100% guaranteed (unless you can time it on the frame they go neutral). It's also limiting if you decide not to go for a grab.

kronspik

Noob
I always found it weird that you're not immune to grabs while in blockstun, but you are while in "stagger" stun (which is otherwise identical to blockstun).

Goldi

Noob
Reo! I hope you're feeling well soon. I was sad you had to miss WB. Tourneys aren't quite the same without you <3 I really hope you and James get better soon!

archon

Noob
If you usually go for djk grab, their option is to either crouch block or tech the grab.

You are absolutely correct, Playpal. In my testing, setting the computer (Jade) to crouch without blocking after crouch-blocking a Deep Jump Kick made my character (Kitana) whiff her grab every time. This is opposite what occurred when I set the computer to crouch under the throw attempt after blocking a Deep Jump Kick standing; as in REO's video, the computer was unable to crouch the throw. It is possible a Deep Jump Kick forces less blockstun against a crouching opponent than a standing opponent.

It is conceivable to survive this safe jump setup by reverse fuzzy-guarding from standing to crouching. One could begin guarding standing in anticipation of a Jump-in Punch, transitioning to crouching guard on reaction to the opponent's Deep Jump Kick. This guards against the JIP as an overhead and thwarts the guaranteed throw attempt from the DJK. The defending player can then decide whether to counter poke the attacking player's string or accept blocking the string; this depends on which character is attacking and whether their typical attack string hits High or is particularly fast.

That's cool that the opponent still loses 1% for teching a grab. I didn't know that. Why would crouch blocking blow up the grab attempt?

It seems blocking a Deep Jump Kick crouching yields less blockstun than when standing. This is actually very balanced design. Because Jump-in Kicks and Deep Jump Kicks hit High, you're rewarded for blocking them crouching. You risked being vulnerable to an overhead Jump-in Punch but you guessed correctly that your opponent would instead kick. The dynamics of MK9's air attacks are brilliant, the more I think about them.

archon djk doesn't do less blockstun if the opponent is crouch blocking. It's just a mechanic in the game. Special highs will always whiff if the opponent is in crouch block stun. I've said this so many times (including once before in this thread).

As kit, do djk into s2. As sektor, do up missile into throw. They will all whiff.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Oh, that was the "discovery" of how Kenshi's f3,2 OTG's someone if they are laying down behind him. Always something exciting with our matches, eh? lol
yea but your sc also went right into me and didnt even hit me

The more i play you the more tech i find