What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile General Discussion

What do you think is the best variation to use?

• Total voters

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
The whole roster if you have the time for it.
Hm... That's interesting! I've learned combos for so many characters while on a hunt for a main! Cryo Sub, GM Sub, SQ/Venomous D'whorah, Cage HW/Brawler, BS Shinnok, KJ/Bo Shaolin, EB Marksman, BRC DB, and probably more.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Hm... That's interesting! I've learned combos for so many characters while on a hunt for a main! Cryo Sub, GM Sub, SQ/Venomous D'whorah, Cage HW/Brawler, BS Shinnok, KJ/Bo Shaolin, EB Marksman, BRC DB, and probably more.
Keep going, you're on the trick track.

Tweedy

Noob
Is close DB4 actually 17 frames?

I'm here to say that it is not, my friends.

1. Does it look as fast as Sub Zero's B2, or Kotal's overhead sword? No, no way.

2. Why is f412 xx db2 true, with a 23 frame special, but this 17 frame special isn't? I'm not sure if frames have everything to do with things being true or not. I still figured that was worth posting.

I feel like it's closer to 27 frames, than 17 frames. What do you guys think?

Tweedy

Noob
Further lab coating and research has led me to the grandmaster himself, Sub Zero.

Sub Zero's Icy Slide, notations EX bf4, is not punished by close db4, from out Reptilian friend.

I suspect that close db4 is actually 24 frames.

Haha! Execution for me is the hardest with Reptile.
What I really notice though with him, I got decent and then practiced more, and then POOF! Back to square -1.
If you want I can take you to the lab sometime so we can work on your reptile. I have been playing nimble for a while. Even have a combo video for nimble. Just hit me up with a friend request and a message to oXFiercePlayXo. My account is the same on PS4 and XB1.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
If you want I can take you to the lab sometime so we can work on your reptile. I have been playing nimble for a while. Even have a combo video for nimble. Just hit me up with a friend request and a message to oXFiercePlayXo. My account is the same on PS4 and XB1.
I play Deceptive now, and plan on playing Nimble after. We can 1v1 though if you want (PSN: xHydroxonium)

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
So after optimizing nimbles combos in training. I've come to the realization he is the strongest punisher in the whole game. He gets from 48-51% punish from anywhere on the screen that will always leave the opponent in the corner.

LIGUE

Noob
So after optimizing nimbles combos in training. I've come to the realization he is the strongest punisher in the whole game. He gets from 48-51% punish from anywhere on the screen that will always leave the opponent in the corner.
Can we get a video? I'd to see it. Are they practical as well aka easy to do in game?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Can we get a video? I'd to see it. Are they practical as well aka easy to do in game?
To get full damage no. The execution is id say modérate to high. The hardest part is being aware of your position and remember exactly what combo will work for max damage. But its doable

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Why is Noxious beating out Nimble AND Deceptive? x)
I think Noxious is the best. It allows him to get good damage for no meter. It also makes his dd3 very useful in this variation. Unlike the other 2 where you pretty much have to spend meter.

Just me :)

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
I think Noxious is the best. It allows him to get good damage for no meter. It also makes his dd3 very useful in this variation. Unlike the other 2 where you pretty much have to spend meter.

Just me :)
.20% per second is not doing anything. .50% per second and only lasts about 5-7 seconds IF you're close to them, and goes away on hit. Definitely not better.
It completely lacks what the others have. Not to mention, Nimble's damage is amazing, and you don't need meter for them either, just most of the time. For Deceptive the first hit doesn't affect you, even w/o meter. F412/F41 into DD3 for nimble non meter burned is a good setup too. The reward is much higher for them too. Noxious is almost variationless

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
.20% per second is not doing anything. .50% per second and only lasts about 5-7 seconds IF you're close to them, and goes away on hit. Definitely not better.
It completely lacks what the others have. Not to mention, Nimble's damage is amazing, and you don't need meter for them either, just most of the time. For Deceptive the first hit doesn't affect you, even w/o meter. F412/F41 into DD3 for nimble non meter burned is a good setup too. The reward is much higher for them too. Noxious is almost variationless
I actually feel it's about on par with the other two. As was said you need meter (most of the time) in nimble and deceptive to really reap their benefits but noxious doesn't require any for its benefits. Which wouldn't be a problem for some characters except reptiles already very meter hungry so getting to save that extra bar while also dealing extra damage is a plus. It's also not just .20% overtime but also .20% for every hit they deal to you. So for example a five hit combo does about 1.20 to 1.40 damage back to them.

Then there's the ability to completely destroy any comeback attempts. When you have a certain life lead people cannot make a comeback on you which actually grants you a unique form of meter building by just letting go of block (to keep them from building any meter) and not attacking just letting them hurt you as much as possible so you can build more meter for the next round.

Again I don't think noxious is better than the other two just about on the same level.

Oh and there's the added bonus that no one will ever flawless you again.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
The stink does not do much...yes. However, he can extend combos with regular dd3 where as the other 2 variations do not. I can get 40% mid-screen no meter combos with Noxious. You can't do that with the other 2 variations....that's what I meant.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
The stink does not do much...yes. However, he can extend combos with regular dd3 where as the other 2 variations do not. I can get 40% mid-screen no meter combos with Noxious. You can't do that with the other 2 variations....that's what I meant.
I understand where you're coming from. But here is the thing though. Reptile Noxious is only DoT. The things that Nimble and Deceptive can do and their gimmicks are much more useful.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie
Picked up deceptive
Just need a brief character/variation rundown.

Main footsie.
Punisher.
Combo starters.
Mixup game.

Zaccel

Noob
Picked up deceptive
Just need a brief character/variation rundown.

Main footsie.
Punisher.
Combo starters.
Mixup game.
I only play Noxious, but I'll try to summarize:

Reptile is a well-rounded character with an answer to most situations. His most glaring fault is a reliance on meter to excel (his primary low mixup takes meter to convert, his zoning is mediocre without meter, etc.). His variations aren't as extreme as many other characters, so much of your decision-making comes down to how you intend to use his precious meter.

Deceptive
is the most meter-dependent because it has the most it can do with it. Multiple opportunities for frame advantage on block, combo extensions, safe reversals, string-gap punishes and more thanks to the high speed and armour from EX dd3. The trick is that, combined with anti-air/reversals/breakers, Deceptive runs the highest risk of running on empty in a critical situation--especially since you really want to use EX dd3, not meterless. Even so, the flexibility provided makes this a very strong choice.

Noxious is the least meter-dependent in turn, mostly because his EX dd3 isn't great. The passive fumes are "okay" on their own--they slightly increase BnB and chip damage, and meterless dd3 improves it. Unlike other variations, the fumes stay on block, so it has more staying power. Combined with the slight damage they take when hitting you, Noxious is useful for close situations and shutting down comebacks. You'll be sitting on more meter for anti-airs and stuff, too. The downside is that this Reptile lacks anything to make him stand out. No special frame advantage or extensions (with one notable exception). Probably his weakest variation.

Nimble is meter-dependent as well, but is different from Deceptive in that EX dd3 only allows combos from certain situations. It's less flexible, but it trades off in an obscene punish game, deadly corner carry and combos, and options for armour-breaking oki. The biggest downside is that meterless dd3 isn't very good, so if you want to get any of the scary stuff you'll be spending meter (and using f412 a lot). As a combo-heavy variation, Nimble asks for lots of situational awareness to maximize your punishes, corner carry, and potential wakeups--and since you can't block in Basilisk, you risk more with a mistake.

Combo Starters:
2124 (Hit-confirmable, -8 on block unless you stop at 21. 21 is High/Mid, so be ready if they duck)
f412 (Fastest punisher, Mid, leads to good damage. Very important for Nimble)
b1d4 (High/Low that combos into df3. A bit easy to react to, but has its uses. Especially in Deceptive)
b3 (-4 Low that combos into EX db2 for extension. b34 is the meterless option for much less damage. -8 or worse on block)
f21, 1+3 (Hit-confirmable advancing Mid/Mid with MB extension. The 1+3 is death on block; watch yourself)
b2 (+1 on block overhead, so damn good)
34 (Slowest punisher, good damage. Excellent meterless damage in Noxious)
EX db2 (Not recommended raw, but if you reversal with it or whatever it launches)
EX db4 (See above)
EX bf4 (In the corner)
Forceballs (duh)

Mixup:
Standard stuff. Get advantage, mix up b2/b3.
b2 is the overhead of your dreams. Fast, plus-on-block, pushes back to a good distance, and starts combos. Without meter, this is what you want, but your opponent will be looking for this. Mind its short range--it's not Cutthroat Kano b1 bad, but it's close.
b3 is a solid low in general (long range, safe, tripguards, etc.), but it's also your chief low starter. b1d4 isn't a reliable way to catch someone blocking high, and as such you'll sometimes have to risk b3xxEX db2 to open people up. It's slower than b2, so you'll need more advantage or a hesitant opponent to land this clean.
21 is +2 on block, but it's hit-confirmable with 2124. Since they can armour out of your b2/b3 mixup after 21, 2124 can be used as a gutsy callout. Not something to rely on, but it's there.
f21 alone is about -4 on block, and can hit-confirm the 1+3. I wouldn't advise the same trick as 2124 with this, but you can try using EX db2 to catch someone trying to use the plus frames. In general EX db2 can be used at small disadvantages for abare.
d3 is your fastest normal, so you can use it to escape pressure and start your own mixup or as a fast poke in footsies (though its range is very very short).
d4 is longer and slower than d3, but gives huge advantage on hit and is +0 on block. If it hits, a run-in mixup is free.
As always, mix in throws as required. Reptile's aren't anything special, but you can't not use throws.

Other pressure/mixup situations call for something other than Noxious, which I can't help you with.

Last edited:

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X

Reptile is a well-rounded character with an answer to most situations. His most glaring fault is a reliance on meter to excel (his primary low mixup takes meter to convert, his zoning is mediocre without meter, etc.). His variations aren't as extreme as many other characters, so much of your decision-making comes down to how you intend to use his precious meter.

Deceptive
is the most meter-dependent because it has the most it can do with it. Multiple opportunities for frame advantage on block, combo extensions, safe reversals, string-gap punishes and more thanks to the high speed and armour from EX dd3. The trick is that, combined with anti-air/reversals/breakers, Deceptive runs the highest risk of running on empty in a critical situation--especially since you really want to use EX dd3, not meterless. Even so, the flexibility provided makes this a very strong choice.

Noxious is the least meter-dependent in turn, mostly because his EX dd3 isn't great. The passive fumes are "okay" on their own--they slightly increase BnB and chip damage, and meterless dd3 improves it. Unlike other variations, the fumes stay on block, so it has more staying power. Combined with the slight damage they take when hitting you, Noxious is useful for close situations and shutting down comebacks. You'll be sitting on more meter for anti-airs and stuff, too. The downside is that this Reptile lacks anything to make him stand out. No special frame advantage or extensions (with one notable exception). Probably his weakest variation.

Nimble is meter-dependent as well, but is different from Deceptive in that EX dd3 only allows combos from certain situations. It's less flexible, but it trades off in an obscene punish game, deadly corner carry and combos, and options for armour-breaking oki. The biggest downside is that meterless dd3 isn't very good, so if you want to get any of the scary stuff you'll be spending meter (and using f412 a lot). As a combo-heavy variation, Nimble asks for lots of situational awareness to maximize your punishes, corner carry, and potential wakeups--and since you can't block in Basilisk, you risk more with a mistake.

Combo Starters:
2124 (Hit-confirmable, -8 on block unless you stop at 21. 21 is High/Mid, so be ready if they duck)
b1d4 (High/Low that combos into df3. A bit easy to react to, but has its uses. Especially in Deceptive)
b3 (Low that combos into EX db2 for extension. b34 is the meterless option for much less damage. -8 or worse on block)
f21, 1+3 (Hit-confirmable advancing Mid/Mid with MB extension. The 1+3 is death on block; watch yourself)
EX db2 (Not recommended raw, but if you reversal with it or whatever it launches)
EX db4 (See above)
EX bf4 (In the corner)
Forceballs (duh)

Mixup:
b2 is the overhead of your dreams. Fast, plus-on-block, pushes back to a good distance, and starts combos. Without meter, this is what you want, but your opponent will be looking for this. Mind its short range--it's not Cutthroat Kano b1 bad, but it's close.
b3 is a solid low in general (long range, safe, tripguards, etc.), but it's also your chief low starter. b1d4 isn't a reliable way to catch someone blocking high, and as such you'll sometimes have to risk b3xxEX db2 to open people up. It's slower than b2, so you'll need more advantage or a hesitant opponent to land this clean.
21 is +2 on block, but it's hit-confirmable with 2124. Since they can armour out of your b2/b3 mixup after 21, 2124 can be used as a gutsy callout. Not something to rely on, but it's there.
f21 alone is about -4 on block, and can hit-confirm the 1+3. I wouldn't advise the same trick as 2124 with this, but you can try using EX db2 to catch someone trying to use the plus frames. In general EX db2 can be used at small disadvantages for abare.
d3 is your fastest normal, so you can use it to escape pressure and start your own mixup or as a fast poke in footsies (though its range is very very short).
d4 is longer and slower than d3, but gives huge advantage on hit and is +0 on block. If it hits, a run-in mixup is free.
As always, mix in throws as required. Reptile's aren't anything special, but you can't not use throws.

Other pressure/mixup situations call for something other than Noxious, which I can't help you with.
Well, you took care of that lol

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Looking for another main. What character plays the most like Reptile? You know, pretty good pressure, good mixups, awesome setups, traps, projectiles that make it feel like a 2v1 (Shoutouts to the forceball), quick, etc.

honeybooboo

I speak truth, no lie

Deceptive

Combo Starters:
b3 (Low that combos into EX db2 for extension. b34 is the meterless option for much less damage. -8 or worse on block)
EX db4 (See above)
EX bf4 (In the corner)
Forceballs (duh)

Mixup:

Thanks bud, i appreciate the feedback. The reptile community is pretty chill. Much obliged

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Looking for another main. What character plays the most like Reptile? You know, pretty good pressure, good mixups, awesome setups, traps, projectiles that make it feel like a 2v1 (Shoutouts to the forceball), quick, etc.
Takeda. Granted I'm biased because I play Takeda but they definitely feel similar based on my old experience with Reptile. Substitute plus frames for reliable armor and you've got a similar character imo.