What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile General Discussion

What do you think is the best variation to use?

• Total voters

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
How does one fight a Ninjitsu Scorpion with reptile, that matchup seems awful. Played some games vs @YOMI RM JagoBlake in the beta the other night and there was a good time of each match with us just walking back and forth not pressing any buttons. (Blake has the best scorpion hands down.)

Cannot throw a projectile, gets punished everytime. Just wondering if there is something I am missing.

HatecraftsWife

Day 1 grill
How does one fight a Ninjitsu Scorpion with reptile, that matchup seems awful. Played some games vs @YOMI RM JagoBlake in the beta the other night and there was a good time of each match with us just walking back and forth not pressing any buttons. (Blake has the best scorpion hands down.)

Cannot throw a projectile, gets punished everytime. Just wondering if there is something I am missing.
Was going to post this in the video thread, but my phone will absolutely not load that thread properly. Here are a few matches from a beta set with Blake. I have about 40 more minutes left of footage to upload.

Btw Blake has godlike reactions when it comes to punishing projectiles lol.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So I fought a really good Nimble reptile today, his execution was amazing. I played Takeda and it was close as hell. I've been trying to pick up Reptile and I want to know how you can preform his pressure. I know that 21, and 12 are strings that leave him plus but they're highs and I get poked out. Is there a way to lead to it happening. For example d4, 21, f412 swipe. Is this a legitamate pressure string or are there other ways to do it.

I've been playing Nox mostly and I'm trying to really level up my Reptile game.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
So I fought a really good Nimble reptile today, his execution was amazing. I played Takeda and it was close as hell. I've been trying to pick up Reptile and I want to know how you can preform his pressure. I know that 21, and 12 are strings that leave him plus but they're highs and I get poked out. Is there a way to lead to it happening. For example d4, 21, f412 swipe. Is this a legitamate pressure string or are there other ways to do it.

I've been playing Nox mostly and I'm trying to really level up my Reptile game.
(also 3 is + 2 aswell i guess :>).

Well of course if you play deceptive, you have +frames on a lot of strings, when you go into ex invis.

When basilisk is activated, you can almost do anything for pressure (even though moves which are highly punishable, can still get punished. Don´t use slide too often :p).

p = pause (so don´t finish the string, that´s probably obvious)

I´d suggest when basi is activated, mix up => f41. f412,f4 p b34, f4 p b2, f41 f4 slide, f41 slide, f412 slide,b34, b2, 34d4 (in the corner you can combo out of it, probably -> punishable), b1d4, b1 pause b2, b1 p b34. There are of course more ways to mix up your opponent :). Again -> Don´t use slide too often ^^.

If you´re far away, you can also zone pretty good when basilisk is activated

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
(also 3 is + 2 aswell i guess :>).

Well of course if you play deceptive, you have +frames on a lot of strings, when you go into ex invis.

When basilisk is activated, you can almost do anything for pressure (even though moves which are highly punishable, can still get punished. Don´t use slide too often :p).

p = pause (so don´t finish the string, that´s probably obvious)

I´d suggest when basi is activated, mix up => f41. f412,f4 p b34, f4 p b2, f41 f4 slide, f41 slide, f412 slide,b34, b2, 34d4 (in the corner you can combo out of it, probably -> punishable), b1d4, b1 pause b2, b1 p b34. There are of course more ways to mix up your opponent :). Again -> Don´t use slide too often ^^.

If you´re far away, you can also zone pretty good when basilisk is activated
Yeah he did do a lot of pauses in between strings and it got me punished hard when I tried to press buttons. But that helps a lot. Though switching variations might be what needs to happen :/. I just love Nox

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Yeah he did do a lot of pauses in between strings and it got me punished hard when I tried to press buttons. But that helps a lot. Though switching variations might be what needs to happen :/. I just love Nox
well nimble requires hard work and a lot of execution and timing in basilisk combos. (f.e. f4 bf2 f4 bf2 f4 bf2 isn´t easy. Also you have to know when basilisk ends, so you don´t drop the combo and get punished). Imo it still depends on the matchup and the people i play against which variation i go for.
All variations are viable :)

LIGUE

Noob
Soooo Ermac got a cool Krimson ninja costume, but who here wants their beloved "Emerald Reptile" to be a thing. I hope they do this.

Hell i'd be happy to support the FGC/ MK/ NRS scene and pay 10$ (maybe even 15$) to have a "precious gems ninja pack" including Bronze Tremor, and female ninjas like "Amethyst Mileena, and a Sapphire Kitana" aha I can't be alone in this. I am a sucker for palette swappage.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Soooo Ermac got a cool Krimson ninja costume, but who here wants their beloved "Emerald Reptile" to be a thing. I hope they do this.

Hell i'd be happy to support the FGC/ MK/ NRS scene and pay 10$ (maybe even 15$) to have a "precious gems ninja pack" including Bronze Tremor, and female ninjas like "Amethyst Mileena, and a Sapphire Kitana" aha I can't be alone in this. I am a sucker for palette swappage.
Im fond of the name Jade Reptile for our lizard lol

JDM

Noob
So wait the patch notes said something about Deceptive's blockstrings getting nerfed? If so that kinda sucks and I'm probably done with Reptile *looks at cyrax*

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
So i know i said id drop the character but after the patch, i think our lizard friend i going to do just fine. The buffs to nimble are better than i expected, and deceptuve is still the same.

I have realized that neither deceptive or nimble are better than eachother. Instead i see them as one variation. Theyre both obviously extremely similar since 90% of the moves are the same, yet they have to be played against 100% differently. Idk How many times ive played a set against a player who somewhAt figured out what to do against deceptuve, then i switch to nimble and they are completely lost. This also happens vice versa.

The nerfs to kung lao, tremor, and tanya also hélped the character out a little

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Nimble buffs are alot more importante than people realize. I might make a video on it but its without a doubt his best variation now.

Lets just say f412mb balistic on block is now a legitimate strategy and not just a gimmick. Somethimg amazing happened with the buff but i dont think anyone has realized yet

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Nimble buffs are alot more importante than people realize. I might make a video on it but its without a doubt his best variation now.

Lets just say f412mb balistic on block is now a legitimate strategy and not just a gimmick. Somethimg amazing happened with the buff but i dont think anyone has realized yet
I have no idea what you mean but I am erect now.

Some Nimble Combos I put together last night when I was messing with the PS4 Share factory. There is also some regular conrner combos in the video. The inputs are under in the videos description.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
If thou would'st be so kind to elightnen us on this topic, u just may help convert a poor soul to switching to this variation.
Im too lazy to make a video but it sums down to This. Reptile can now do f412mb balistic on block and then backdash to avoid 7frame pokes and normals

Israel

Noob
Hm..interesting. I know i was seeing people trying this before, but i guess its completely legit now? So unless the opponent has a 6f normal, he can back dash out? .....that is pretty good.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
F412 xx EX invis is still at least +5. You can still stuff any special as long as it's not armored, it's just a lot tighter execution wise.
I would not say Deceptive is just as good. Going from +7 to +5 does make a difference in my opinion. I'm not sure how many other people were doing this, but after f412 ex invis, I would do standing 1, 2 and this would break a lot of characters' armor options. If I recall correctly, it broke every armored reversal with 13-14 startup frames or more. Made ex invis pretty broke in a lot of matchups. For example, Mileena's ex roll was easily broken, so she just had to hold the following mixups. The extra two frames makes it so that breaking ex roll is now a just frame or not possible - either way, I would not go for it anymore. Now you can only reliably break really awful armor like Predator and Quan.

I think it's a fair nerf, but it definitely makes a difference IMO.