What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile - General Discussion - Do any matchups favor deceptive?

So I wasn't aware that Reptile could not block during Basilisk, this makes resets into it require dropping the previous combo way earlier to get their setups, (which I see is what people are doing but I didn't understand) so I think my assumptions of Nimble being definitely better than Noxious are wrong.

I'm now finding it difficult to decide between them, though Nimble does get a good chunk more damage in the corner with EX Basilisk confirms, you cannot set any further Basilisk setups off from this. I think there is a case to be made that a 36%ish meterless combo into EX Noxious > pressure could almost even up that damage gap, combined with the overall passive damage Noxious gets (and really the damage between the variations midscreen is pretty much non existent) from the aura, I think there is a real debate to be had about the potential damage of Noxious vs the setups of Nimble to be had.

I'm leaning towards Noxious for the short term but the Nimble setups will still probably prove more important in the long run. Watching your opponent just fall over without you doing anything is hilarious though.

learis1

Guardian Cadet
I gotta say, with all the discussions about Reptile's strengths and weaknesses, there is just one minor tweak I wish he could get. I wish his b3,4 knocked the opponent a little farther away on block. It's one of his only tools for attacking low without meter, and it just leaves him at point blank range and negative on block. I don't mind that it's negative, but I just don't like the point blank range. It just leaves him in such a bad situation for trying to open the opponent up with a low damaging string. Sigh, just a thought. I guess f3,b4 does the same thing but pushes a little farther away on block so maybe I should try using that more often.

What do you guys typically do when you're opponent gets smart and starts constantly blocking high?

JDM

Noob
I gotta say, with all the discussions about Reptile's strengths and weaknesses, there is just one minor tweak I wish he could get. I wish his b3,4 knocked the opponent a little farther away on block. It's one of his only tools for attacking low without meter, and it just leaves him at point blank range and negative on block. I don't mind that it's negative, but I just don't like the point blank range. It just leaves him in such a bad situation for trying to open the opponent up with a low damaging string. Sigh, just a thought. I guess f3,b4 does the same thing but pushes a little farther away on block so maybe I should try using that more often.

What do you guys typically do when you're opponent gets smart and starts constantly blocking high?
D4, run up, poke/low/grab

Or, point blank D3, poke/low/grab/overhead

Gotta annoy them with pokes

Just do b3 on its own and OS EX claws into them if you have meter.

Significantly better than using b34 imo.

In fact I'm not really sure of the purpose for b34 for variations that aren't Nimble. You can probably still stuff slower wakeups but using it as a poke seems like a bad idea when you could just use b3 (xx EX claw)

learis1

Guardian Cadet
So this is extremely annoying. It happens with lots of characters but is bothering me in particular with Reptile. I'm holding downback and blocking. Then I decide I'm going to attack. So lets say I choose to do b2. Instead of b2 coming out I get his scratch special. Lets I choose to do his f412 string. Instead I get his slide special.

I know it has to do with the stupid game getting confused and thinking I want to do a special, but it really bothers me and often costs me a lot of my life as well as missed opportunities to do dmg to the opponent. I'm currently trying to figure out how to negate this issue.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm messing around with Reptile right now and I just noticed that f41 is actually stance specific safe. It is safe in open stance but unsafe in closed, weird, but I guess this stuff is bound to happen....

So what variation are people mostly liking?

I thought Nimble was the obvious choice but I'm not finding ways to do more damage for 1 meter than I can without basalisk anyway. Is it just for setups/rushdown and getting better meterless followups off stuff like b2 midscreen?

Do people find the utility of Nimble more useful than the amount of damage you would get over the course of a round with Noxious?
Basilisk combos are strong for the simple fact that they either carry you to the wall, or give Reptile 40+% combos if he's already at the wall and has it active. Also, it's possible to set up armor breaking with basilisk.

Reptile's rushdown becomes better in the corner, since now b2 actually gets reasonable damage, and being able to space out his stuff without worry of you moving back to avoid it is good since that's a huge component of Reptile's offense.

THTB

So this is extremely annoying. It happens with lots of characters but is bothering me in particular with Reptile. I'm holding downback and blocking. Then I decide I'm going to attack. So lets say I choose to do b2. Instead of b2 coming out I get his scratch special. Lets I choose to do his f412 string. Instead I get his slide special.

I know it has to do with the stupid game getting confused and thinking I want to do a special, but it really bothers me and often costs me a lot of my life as well as missed opportunities to do dmg to the opponent. I'm currently trying to figure out how to negate this issue.
Don't hold down/back when you're blocking low. There's no actual reason to hold any direction other than straight down. It's also due to having input shortcuts on, as it allows the diagonal inputs to count as your first or second input for the specified special.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
After in depth analysis, all his variations are ass.. I heard his ex invis had armor, got excited only to find out it only has it like in the first 10 frames and the rest he is punishable... Really nrs?.. That's fucking dumb

THTB

After in depth analysis, all his variations are ass.. I heard his ex invis had armor, got excited only to find out it only has it like in the first 10 frames and the rest he is punishable... Really nrs?.. That's fucking dumb
Honestly, I don't think it's intended to be used as a wakeup or whatever.

THTB

I don't use it as wake up but what's the point of it
Only situation I've found where it can be mildly useful is vs Sub and doing it on reaction to freeze. I haven't figured out where invisibility benefits me in that matchup yet. Doubt it really does.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Only situation I've found where it can be mildly useful is vs Sub and doing it on reaction to freeze. I haven't figured out where invisibility benefits me in that matchup yet. Doubt it really does.
Reptile has the lazzziest character design. I still play him on the side but he is soo lackluster compared to other characters.. He needs a fb buff to be relevant imo

haketh

Noob
Lol i guarantee my reptile would wipe the floor with anything you have to offer but that doesn't make him good
That literally has nothing to do with anything, you haven't contributed anything positive to this sub forum since the game came out. Just incessant whining he's not MK9 Reptile insteaed of adjusting or moving onto someone else.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
That literally has nothing to do with anything, you haven't contributed anything positive to this sub forum since the game came out. Just incessant whining he's not MK9 Reptile insteaed of adjusting or moving onto someone else.
I havnt contributed anything.. That armor breaking tech thread I posted has been 100 times more helpful than any up playing you have done.