What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile - General Discussion - Do any matchups favor deceptive?

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Alright... Reptile has always been my favorite Ninja, but there is a reason I main Ermac. I find EVERYTHING Reptile does just about unsafe and his pokes and normals are complete ass... and don't even get me started about B2 backing away as its active. What do you guys do online? What's your main source of damage? (BnB) Pressure strings? I want to so very badly main my man here but i'm having a very hard time playing him over Ermac.
>:|

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
How do you break armor with b3, 4 ? Is it just a timing thing? I'm having some issues with setting up nimble against SubZero because the slide gets me all the time, and it goes under forceball too. I am starting to use Nimble a bit more over Noxious and it seems fun to play but I crai evertim I get hit out of it.

@RapZiLLa54 pls respond ;_;
Slide is tough, the b3 can't hit at all it needs to be all the 4. If his FBs were actual mids this wouldn't even be an issue but you know.....

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Depends heavily on the wakeup. 12, 14, and f41 are your go-to armor breakers. b34 works in a couple cases.
The only wakeups I've found in the game that can consistently break b34 is the nut punches from both JC and Cassie and Kanos ball.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Well. It was fun while it lasted, but this character compared the rest of the cast is absolute trash. Unless you're Chris G, who could make Helen Kellar look good if she was a MKX character.

Gito666

Ninjas > Special Forces
Strangely, i have fought deceptive reptiles online that don't go invisible ONCE. In that case, wouldn't it be better to just use noxious for the DOT? Isn't everything else the same across variations? Idk much about reptile yet, was just curious

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Strangely, i have fought deceptive reptiles online that don't go invisible ONCE. In that case, wouldn't it be better to just use noxious for the DOT? Isn't everything else the same across variations? Idk much about reptile yet, was just curious
Yeah if you aren't planning on using the variation stuff for Reptile, just do Noxious. But he needs to use that stuff anyway, since the DoT doesn't do much damage.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Well. It was fun while it lasted, but this character compared the rest of the cast is absolute trash. Unless you're Chris G, who could make Helen Kellar look good if she was a MKX character.
I can't tell if you're downplaying or if you're honestly unaware of how good this character actually is.

I'm messing around with Reptile right now and I just noticed that f41 is actually stance specific safe. It is safe in open stance but unsafe in closed, weird, but I guess this stuff is bound to happen....

So what variation are people mostly liking?

I thought Nimble was the obvious choice but I'm not finding ways to do more damage for 1 meter than I can without basalisk anyway. Is it just for setups/rushdown and getting better meterless followups off stuff like b2 midscreen?

Do people find the utility of Nimble more useful than the amount of damage you would get over the course of a round with Noxious?

Mutton

Noob
I'm messing around with Reptile right now and I just noticed that f41 is actually stance specific safe. It is safe in open stance but unsafe in closed, weird, but I guess this stuff is bound to happen....

So what variation are people mostly liking?

I thought Nimble was the obvious choice but I'm not finding ways to do more damage for 1 meter than I can without basalisk anyway. Is it just for setups/rushdown and getting better meterless followups off stuff like b2 midscreen?

Do people find the utility of Nimble more useful than the amount of damage you would get over the course of a round with Noxious?
I'm not really feeling the damage from Noxious. Nimble gets you guaranteed damage if you can land a hit, and you're not winning rounds without landing a hit. Noxious just does such minor damage and requires you to set it up. Might as well go with Deception at that point and get super invisible mixups (namely that they can't tell if you neutral jumped or jumped at them, and thus you can be somewhat safe against reversals).

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Is Deceptive viable? Depends on whether or not you want to spend your meter for full invisibility instead of confirming combos off of his 50/50 with meter. Deceptive is also very good for punishing 1-hit armored wakeups like icy slide and teleport.

I have 2 roommates that I grind out matches with and Deceptive is actually an amazing stance to choose against Goro. If you have a meter and Goro teleports, its a free full combo for you. You dont have to move or guess which side Goro is gonna land on and if he tries to land right on top of you, just do EX invisible and you can full combo punish his attempt (if youve got those invis combos down) and you will have some invis left over for a setup after

Yes. Deceptive is viable, in the right hands

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Can you please elaborate? I know deceptive negates damage from 1 hit, but why do you say ex invisible full combo punish? Does it have armor?

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Can you please elaborate? I know deceptive negates damage from 1 hit, but why do you say ex invisible full combo punish? Does it have armor?
Yes, it does have a hit of armor. I believe it might have the armor hit active on the 1st frame of activation but im not entirely sure.

Essentially Goro's teleport is a guessing game, so he can catch you no matter what you movement is as long as he guesses correctly. you can negate the teleport game entirely in deceptive if you have a meter by activating invis on reaction to the teleport. This makes forward neutral and back teleport all full combo punishable ;)