What's new

Regarding future tier list layouts

I have an idea!

How about we don't talk about tier lists at all, when MKX comes out?! So no one will truly know who the best character / what the best variation ist and we will all be much happier with the characters we picked, because we like them and not because they're high tier!

Long live 16-Bit with his Catwoman!
Long live Digit with his Shazam!
Long live Chris G with his Green Arrow!

And so on.

Based on the video footage shown so far, are there any indications as to how NRS might be achieveing character balance across variations, in terms of play styles?
no, i can already guarantee you a lot of the variations are going to be relatively useless in competitive play, or perhaps 1 dominant variation for each character, some with others...

I have an idea!

How about we don't talk about tier lists at all, when MKX comes out?! So no one will truly know who the best character / what the best variation ist and we will all be much happier with the characters we picked, because we like them and not because they're high tier!

Long live 16-Bit with his Catwoman!
Long live Digit with his Shazam!
Long live Chris G with his Green Arrow!

And so on.
i have come to a conclusion for myself personally that low tier characters are super fun to play with against each other in mk...sometimes i think the game would be even better if 15 chars would be removed.

but in injustice there are less lower tiers i enjoy/would enjoy playing because they tend to be limited setup characters who need a big risk to win but net huge dividends when they land it...let alone disinteresting playstyles in my opinion when it comes to shazam and catwoman and joker cyborg i would like a character more like green arrow who is versatile and has options to play with.... none of them really fit my playstyle...

that being said... the most fun/challenging thing to me is... to try to play the game at the highest level... and to play it at the highest level you must develop a character strategy which takes you to the highest level of play... that being said i think certain characters can bottleneck you from learning to play at the highest level because they are op.

so far in nrs games kabal and mmh both are characters who have a ton of options to deal iwth so they are rewarding and require some dedication to master (albeit mastery may not be necessary for victory)... we haven't had a character that is super cookie-cutter dominate everything in the long run... there's some characters i won't play just because i feel dirty playing them... I will approach mk x with the same attitude.

If there is a character that makes the tier whore in me salivate... and isn't a character which i don't like i am running straight to them. Is it bad that my favorite type of character is one that is potentially broken??? I wanna find a character that is hard to master but once you get them down it is a power trip. (or a character that allows me to controlthe game if i play very well) Hopefully the game is balanced enough not to have that type of character to the same degree this time around, atleast until the dlc.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
IMO that would only make sense if community will establish special rules concerning variations that will allow something players won't be allowed to do with regard to entirely different characters, and you are making a list that tries to account for that (one hell of a task though).
I don't see a reason to make such a decision so far though.
Nobody likes rules, the way to get people to do it is for someone to successfully attempt it, then others will copy. Other than that I agree

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
It seriously all depends on if we go with character lock or variation lock.

With character lock it will be the average of all three variations winning and losing MU's and their overlap (Clone Zero loses to Teleport Raiden but Armor Zero beats teleport raiden ect.) and will be pretty easy.

With Variation Lock each variation will need to be treated as their own entity leading to like 800000 tier lists.

P.S. Variation lock is retarded. Just saying

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
Wouldn't it suck if, like, none of your character's variations ended up being tournament-viable? Just a triad of F-tier failures.:rolleyes:

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I don't think it should be done in the traditional layout of a tier list. It would look like a disaster to divide it by variation.

The best way would likely be character by alphabetical order. Like so:

Scorpion:
Ninjutsu - A
Inferno - S
Hellfire - A

Sub-Zero:
Cryomancer - B
Unbreakable - A
Grandmaster - S

Matchups should likely be in 3's as well, which would end up being 9. I don't like the idea of treating each variation as a character and it would be a pain in the ass for those who want to stick with one character and master them in every variation:

Kotal Kahn vs Scorpion:
Sun God vs Ninjitsu (5-5)
Sun God vs Inferno (6-4)
Sun God vs Hellfire (4-6)

What a mess...

Matix218

Get over here!
With all of the character variations it will take literally forever to get an accurate tier list for mkx. Think of how long it was before we had an accurate tier list for mk9. Now basically triple that (3 distinctly different variations per character). The real issue is simply one of location/logistics. You cant get an accurate matchup number unless the highest level players of each character (or in this case version of each character) can play long set after set to truly determine how the match shakes out at the higest level (which of course will take years to reach as it did in mk9). By the time we have an accurate tier list for mkx, mk11 will most likely be out lol