What's new

Reepal and Aris talk "Hands-On" with Mortal Kombat X @ E3, stamina bar + much more explained

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
I hope that this "Dash, cancel into run, cancel into block" won't be as strong as dash blocking was in MK9. It sounds like it wasn't intended and I hope it doesn't become the "MUST USE" form of movement if you want to "play at high level". :/

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
For people against Dash blocking. I'll let you know that Sektor without dash blocking would've made Sekor's B34 almost impossible to land on a blocking opponent and that was one of the strongest pieces of depth I had seen in MK9.. With proper spacing it gave him a mix up option, without proper spacing he kould be full kombo punished.

Discouraging waste of stamina by forcing you to take cumulative extra damage before you can break.

Someone with high individual hit damage can take adv of this since you're gonna be getting at least 4 combos per round, in the end you can sneak in something like 10-20% that you couldn't before.
That still doesnt answer my question, of course it means you need to manage stamina better. What things use stamina? It was running and interactables right? iirc running can be canceled into jumps and attacks so it might be really powerful, maybe by making a connection with the breaker, they can kinda nerf running by making it riskier because you can't break after running into the opponent and getting hit.

Error404

Noob
I think there's gonna be a lot of accidental running if you block before you're done dashing. Many of us are used to blocking mid dash playing mk and its gonna be strange to have to be conscious of hitting block by accident to avoid running at the opponent
Well you can dash block if you tap block twice

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Dash blocking was so stupid, it was a just a super easy way to get in with no work, but now you have to actually space out your movement which emphasizes footsies and space control and i could've sworn thats what the MK9 elitists were all saying that injustice doesn't have. Too rich.
I would probably delete this comment if I were you because this in essence proves that you were not even decent in MK9 or haven't played it like at all. If you had then you would understand that dash blocking wasn't some nice feature in mk9 that made the game easier but it was REQUIRED especially if you were playing against powerful zoners who had insane projectiles such as Kenshi, Smoke, Freddy, etc.

What this actually means is that they must have drastically changed zoning in MKX as to not require the dash blocking. The zoning that you have seen in Injustice is a child's version of zoning compared to MK9's. Your post screams out "I haven't faced the real pain of Kenshi, or Freddy"

Hell without dash blocking Ermac would even become S tier

Flagg

Noob
At first I thought a stamina bar would greatly benefit a zoner.

I mean a rush down character could spend a load of stamina to get in, only to launch the zoner and the zoner to simply break because well, they were hanging back.

But if breaking requires stamina and special bar that's even better. That means a zoner cannot mindlessly spam EX projectiles and be able to break for free like Kabal, Kenshi or Freddy often could.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I am actually nervous about the implications of a "run jab" style block infinite with every character due to some strings having the ability to dash/run cancel out of them. Will everyone have Kabal-like pressure now?
I'm pretty sure the whole reason the stamina bar exists is so that doesn't happen. You can only run once without wacking out your stamina.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
One run cancel takes 1/4 of the full meter. I saw it several times in the video. It wouldn't be an infinite but the potential is there and makes for Kabal/Sonya type blockstrings.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I would probably delete this comment if I were you because this in essence proves that you were not even decent in MK9 or haven't played it like at all. If you had then you would understand that dash blocking wasn't some nice feature in mk9 that made the game easier but it was REQUIRED especially if you were playing against powerful zoners who had insane projectiles such as Kenshi, Smoke, Freddy, etc.

What this actually means is that they must have drastically changed zoning in MKX as to not require the dash blocking. The zoning that you have seen in Injustice is a child's version of zoning compared to MK9's. Your post screams out "I haven't faced the real pain of Kenshi, or Freddy"

Hell without dash blocking Ermac would even become S tier
You obviously don't play any other games, which is why no one even liked this crap post LMAO

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
From the current videos, you actually don't get any stamina just for being hit / during the combo, you start getting it once you hit actual combo-less recovery. Also, the rate of recovery seems to increase the second your opponent starts attacking, so if you're both just sitting there, you get it pretty slow and once they make a move on you it comes back in a hurry.

I'm thinking the logic is that you won't be able to "earn" a breaker mid combo anymore unless you arleady have the stamina when you get hit and interactible punishes will be huge since all interactibles burn half stamina.

edit: There's a ton of stamina burning (lotta interactibles, and some run combos) in this video if you wanna watch how it seems to fluxuate.

yooooooo Minute 0:25 you can combo of jumping kicks.... this is gonna be huge. :)

trufenix

bye felicia
One run cancel takes 1/4 of the full meter. I saw it several times in the video. It wouldn't be an infinite but the potential is there and makes for Kabal/Sonya type blockstrings.
I said "presumably" cause nobody knows the strings in the game or the final meter costs. Yes, Paolo could potentially blow it, but at this point, he could potentially blow anything. A shitty wakeup situation, shitty interactibles, a shitty armor situation, there's tons of traps to fall into. Dash cancellable normals have fucked up tons of games, but there's plenty of others that have either avoided the trap entirely via proper string cancel management or just slapping push block on it.

My point is most mk9 block infinites would've evaporated or at least been tolerable if the number of dash / military stance / nomad dash cancels were limited, even if the limit was somethign high like 4 or 5, i think that's the core logic here. Even if Sub's 1,2 xx run is a block infinite, nobody is going to get more than 4 before they get to answer. Rune trap was pretty fucking annoying, but it was still a hundred times more fair than ndc pressure.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Please, let me understand... Is "Flip stance" button confirmed? Really? :eek:
seems to be .... in one of the E3 videos, a match between Sub-Zero and Ferra/Torr, you can clearly see the characters switching stances in a non random way, as someone was doing purposely, so, the flip stance is present again ..... hehe :confused:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
@trufenix
I didn't say that any NRS dev was fucking up the game with the dash cancels... only pointing out the potential and knowing that they read TYM threads, they would see my post and look into it if they haven't already. Letting them know of a potential problem with 8+ months of development time is a million times better than waiting until they fly me out to consult to tell them about it with only a month or two left during crunch time.

Rune trap was pretty fucking annoying, but it was still a hundred times more fair than ndc pressure.
You honestly think that the guaranteed Rune Trap is 100x more fair than NDC pressure which is escapable and never guarantees anything but chip damage? What game are you playing?

trufenix

bye felicia
@trufenix
I didn't say that any NRS dev was fucking up the game with the dash cancels... only pointing out the potential and knowing that they read TYM threads, they would see my post and look into it if they haven't already. Letting them know of a potential problem with 8+ months of development time is a million times better than waiting until they fly me out to consult to tell them about it with only a month or two left during crunch time.
Dawg, we both want the same thing. I am /presuming/ since over-powered resets and block pressure dominated MK9s balance but did not do the same for Injustice, Paolo has already learned this lesson. Ergo, since MKX does not have pushblock, I believe stamina meter is the answer to potential block infinites. Either way, players will be able to speak with their hands at EVO in a month way louder than pessimism based on videos and the balance of a 3 year old game can now.

You honestly think that the guaranteed Rune Trap is 100x more fair than NDC pressure which is escapable and never guarantees anything but chip damage? What game are you playing?
Yes, I think a limited meter based "trap" is fairer than a limitless meter free "trap". One you apply what it actually "means" to Quan Chi or Kabal in the scope of MK9 the story can change, but I am not talking about the literal application of one vs the other because that's pointless, MK9 is dead and gone and I don't believe Rune Trap or NDC pressure is beneficial to a future game. This is about the hypothetical ramifications of characters in MKX having one option or the other. If my choices are that characters get 3-4 predictable reps of bullshit that leave them with no backdash and no run afterward or an infinite number of reps with no penalty that is only escapeable by execution flaw, meter based escape, armor or outright guessing, I will take the first every time. I believe that was the goal in tying it to a meter.

Last edited:
Did I hear Rip say the dashes in MKX are LONGER and SLOWER than Injustice? How is that even possible lol.

It sounds like dashes are completely useless. You either walk for footsies or you run cancel into pressure/combos. Which is fine by me. He said walk speed is a lot better so that's great.

I hope backdashes aren't retarded like pre-patch Black Adam. But the fact that they use endurance meter tells me they'll probably be pretty good. But at least you won't be able to spam them and if you backdash and they chase it then you won't be able to breaker. So that's cool.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Did I hear Rip say the dashes in MKX are LONGER and SLOWER than Injustice? How is that even possible lol.

It sounds like dashes are completely useless. You either walk for footsies or you run cancel into pressure/combos. Which is fine by me. He said walk speed is a lot better so that's great.

I hope backdashes aren't retarded like pre-patch Black Adam. But the fact that they use endurance meter tells me they'll probably be pretty good. But at least you won't be able to spam them and if you backdash and they chase it then you won't be able to breaker. So that's cool.
It is clear from the videos that Rip doesn't know what he is talking about. The dashes I saw were nowhere near the complete and utter shit that dashes like KF were.