What's new

Recommend me a new video card

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
GTX 760 = 30fps 1080p gaming high settings
GTX 770 = 60fps 1080p gaming high settings
GTX 780 = 120fps 1080p gaming medium settings/60fps 1440p gaming medium settings
GTX 780Ti = 120fps+ 1080p gaming high settings/60fps+ 1440p gaming high settings

I have a 770 2GB and enjoy it. However I'm making the jump to 1440p soon so I'll have to upgrade the GPU to match that as well.

280x is a great card for the price but keep in mind you will not have nvidia features like Shadowplay, G-Sync, or Nvidia experience, and your drivers are generally not going to be as good as Nvidia's either. Build quality isn't terribly different so really it comes down to warranty and that kind of stuff. However despite these few negatives, AMD does have Mantle so it's kind of a toss up between proprietary technologies at this point. I prefer the green team but that's not to say the red team is bad.

Don't go lower than a 280x or 770 though -- it's just going to be a shitty card in the next year or two and you might as well spend up to a minimum of either of those cards to get better bang for your buck in the long run, trust me you WILL thank me for this. If you can find a deal on a refurb 780 from EVGA's b-stock (just google evga b-stock) grab that shit in a heartbeat... you get a full warranty and a much cheaper-than-retail card that's going to last you through the next few years of AAA titles at 1080p 60fps maximum settings with no frame dips (very very very important) at all and the potential for mods to make things even better.
lol I run my gtx 660 at max settings and get way more than 30 fps gtfo. But yeah if I was buying today I would get a GTX 770 with 3-4 gb of ram just because it is a good trade off between quality and price since I would rather just upgrade to the next 300-400 dollar card in ~3 years instead of ride out a big ticket card that will have you itching to upgrade a little bit later down the road.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130948

Last edited:
Definitely get a 144Hz monitor. I highly recommend the Asus VG248QE. You can definitely tell the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz, though it is marginal, especially in high motion games.

Once you go to 120+Hz, you'll never go back. Seriously.
Yeah I'm definitely looking at that one. Basically, I'm in a contest to win SLI Titan Blacks and I've got a good chance of winning I think. If I win, I'm getting an Overlord 120Hz 1440p monitor. If I get 2nd place and only take one home, I'm not sure if I should go for that still or the VG248QE. If I don't win at all (pretty unlikely I think) then I'll probably get the 248QE and just drop some settings on games to hit dat sweet 120fps+

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Hehe, well, I think people throw the word "optimization" around a little too much. There are lots of technical limitations with ARMA2/ARMA3 that make the games pretty impossible to run on any setup. Like, they are 32-bit applications that are frankenesteined to use more than 2GB of RAM, and those games need sooo so so much more than that. This isn't even to mention all of the dedicated server issues they've been having too lol. That's just one example... there are lots more out there. I'm a stickler for 60fps minimum in every game I play, and am really excited to be moving up to a 120 or 144hz panel in the next few months because it'll be even better.
Do you have any experience with AMD CPU's? I'm ordering a CPU today and I'm really thinking about the FX 9370. It's a 8 core processor clocked at 4.4 ghz, but what concerns me is that it's tdp is 220w. That seems ridiculously high to me.

RiBBz22

Yeah I'm definitely looking at that one. Basically, I'm in a contest to win SLI Titan Blacks and I've got a good chance of winning I think. If I win, I'm getting an Overlord 120Hz 1440p monitor. If I get 2nd place and only take one home, I'm not sure if I should go for that still or the VG248QE. If I don't win at all (pretty unlikely I think) then I'll probably get the 248QE and just drop some settings on games to hit dat sweet 120fps+
Yeah I like my VG248QE a lot, but you already know that.

lol I run my gtx 660 at max settings and get way more than 30 fps gtfo. But yeah if I was buying today I would get a GTX 770 with 3-4 gb of ram just because it is a good trade off between quality and price since I would rather just upgrade to the next 300-400 dollar card in ~3 years instead of ride out a big ticket card that will have you itching to upgrade a little bit later down the road.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130948
I'm not talking about maximums. Sure in lots of games you'll get more than 30 with that, for sure. But, what about truly demanding games? Star Citizen Alpha, Metro: LL, Crysis 3? Your minimum framerates are way more important than the maximums.

Do you have any experience with AMD CPU's? I'm ordering a CPU today and I'm really thinking about the FX 9370. It's a 8 core processor clocked at 4.4 ghz, but what concerns me is that it's tdp is 220w. That seems ridiculously high to me.
I've always bought intel because I have this preconceived notion that they're better for whatever reason. Not sure why. Like, they tend to win in apples-to-apples benchmarks in most single-threaded or dual-threaded applications, with high end AMD processors only marginally winning out in some multi-core professional applications that you probably don't even use. The general consensus among a lot of PC enthusiasts is that you should only buy AMD"s cheapest chips for budget builds, and their super high-end chips for niche professional use. The inbetween area and even professional area is almost entirely intel 4670k, 4770k (i think that's the number? the i7), 4930x, Xeon, and things like those

RiBBz22

I really dig AMD's new processors. I built my last rig with a 8350, but that is a 125W processor. I can overclock to like 4.8 ghz, but I normally leave it at the standard 4ghz just because I haven't thrown anything at it that it couldn't handle yet. 220W does seem really high so I can't comment from experience on that. For the money, you can't really beat AMD's quality, they are priced so flipping low for what you get.

RiBBz22

I'm not talking about maximums. Sure in lots of games you'll get more than 30 with that, for sure. But, what about truly demanding games? Star Citizen Alpha, Metro: LL, Crysis 3? Your minimum framerates are way more important than the maximums.
Yeah I get stable framerates with everything I play on the GTX 660. I probably haven't played every demanding game though to stress it to the max. Obviously with brand new games that are high in detail you are going to need new hardware to run it perfectly.

Yeah I get stable framerates with everything I play on the GTX 660. I probably haven't played every demanding game though to stress it to the max. Obviously with brand new games that are high in detail you are going to need new hardware to run it perfectly.
Well, I'm looking at your steam library, and it's almost entirely little indie games. Nothing wrong with that, but like, good luck getting a stable 60fps with no dips in modern AAAs. I have a 770 and can't even run modern AAAs at stable 60fps half the time, have to turn settings down to avoid all fps dips.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Thanks again for the posts everyone, so I'm gathering that the general consensus is to just wait till at least next year, then upgrade everything?

I'm on my phone, so I'm not really able to backtrack and read like I want to, but I know somebody mentioned something about my chipset not necessarily being the most compatible? if I wait till the following year to upgrade anything, will this mean that I'll have to start from the ground up with a new motherboard as well? I'd really like to avoid all that, since I just got this thing a few months ago. I understand that it was already a little bit behind when I felt it, after all it was a budget build. but if anyone thinks I can get by with what I have now, or has a processor in mind that would work with my chipset, I'd love to hear what y'all think.

plus, everything that's listed now will be a bit cheaper than, that's a plus. Again, I'm not aiming for the best running Rig this side of town, I'm just looking for something that will play what I want to play smoothly. and the most intensive thing that I plan on playing in the near future is just the new Mortal Kombat. I tend to stay away from new titles such as asS creed and aNy new first person shooters. Csgo And Borderlands 2 are good enough for me.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Thanks again for the posts everyone, so I'm gathering that the general consensus is to just wait till at least next year, then upgrade everything?

I'm on my phone, so I'm not really able to backtrack and read like I want to, but I know somebody mentioned something about my chipset not necessarily being the most compatible? if I wait till the following year to upgrade anything, will this mean that I'll have to start from the ground up with a new motherboard as well? I'd really like to avoid all that, since I just got this thing a few months ago. I understand that it was already a little bit behind when I felt it, after all it was a budget build. but if anyone thinks I can get by with what I have now, or has a processor in mind that would work with my chipset, I'd love to hear what y'all think.

plus, everything that's listed now will be a bit cheaper than, that's a plus. Again, I'm not aiming for the best running Rig this side of town, I'm just looking for something that will play what I want to play smoothly. and the most intensive thing that I plan on playing in the near future is just the new Mortal Kombat. I tend to stay away from new titles such as asS creed and aNy new first person shooters. Csgo And Borderlands 2 are good enough for me.
I would strongly suggest upgrading your CPU, so yea you would need a new mobo. FM2+ sockets only have APU's atm along with the 750k and 760k, which lack a L3 cache. You have plenty of time to upgrade. The good news is that you already have the RAM, PSU, and case, so it's not too much. If you're looking for something on a budget I may suggest something like this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/s93tnQ

The alternative to a R9 270x would be a GTX 760, but it's pricier, so it's your call at the end of the day. I can vouch for the R9 270x though. My buddy has that card paired with a i7 and he can play every game atm on High/Ultra with good frame rate. Personally, I think that will be enough to handle MKX.

RiBBz22

Well, I'm looking at your steam library, and it's almost entirely little indie games. Nothing wrong with that, but like, good luck getting a stable 60fps with no dips in modern AAAs. I have a 770 and can't even run modern AAAs at stable 60fps half the time, have to turn settings down to avoid all fps dips.
Yeah, that is what I use Steam for mostly since most of that crap just came from bundles. I play plenty of other games outside of the Steam since the only reason I got it in the first place was for Injustice.

What games are you running?!? I actually just upgraded to a 770 yesterday and threw a maxed out Farcry 3, crysis, and skyrim (ENB modded) at the thing and it just smiled and chugged along without a hitch. I actually came to the thread to voice my support for this reason. EDIT: hopping to throw the witcher 2, metro, arma, tomb raider, and hitman absolution at it later today.

What games are you running?!? I actually just upgraded to a 770 yesterday and threw a maxed out Farcry 3, crysis, and skyrim (ENB modded) at the thing and it just smiled and chugged along without a hitch. I actually came to the thread to voice my support for this reason.
Star Citizen only runs on High, I'm GPU locked, and I get frame dips when lots of action happens. Like, people throw around "maxed out" a lot but they don't talk about how much is happening on screen and if they are EVER dropping frames below 60. Titanfall needs some serious settings tweaks to run at 60fps stable and not look like a potato. Fucking Warframe doesn't even hit 120fps consistently on a 770, and that game looks like poop. BF3 I never drop below 100fps, same with BF:Hardline Beta. Skyrim I modded a lot until I was only pushing about 75fps on average then stopped there, Far Cry 3 I have totally maxed and I get frame dips during big action, same thing with FC3: Blood Dragon.

The card's good if you're a casual and want 45fps+ with high settings and don't perceive/don't mind frame dips, but I personally want more power so I can run maxed settings at 60fps MINIMUMS with no chance of dips below that. I should just shut up and buy quad 780Ti's and shoo everyone off my lawn.

Star Citizen only runs on High, I'm GPU locked, and I get frame dips when lots of action happens. Like, people throw around "maxed out" a lot but they don't talk about how much is happening on screen and if they are EVER dropping frames below 60. Titanfall needs some serious settings tweaks to run at 60fps stable and not look like a potato. Fucking Warframe doesn't even hit 120fps consistently on a 770, and that game looks like poop. The card's good if you're a casual and want 45fps+ with high settings, but I personally want more power so I can run maxed settings at 60fps MINIMUMS with no chance of dips below that. I should just shut up and buy quad 780Ti's and shoo everyone off my lawn.
...forgot to ask, what resolution you running at?

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I'm not a console gamer, but I've heard the 360 had better perfomance many times than the ps3, the Xbox360 was also AMD. I've always found the price/performance ratio to be better with ATI/AMD.

I'd buy whatever I could get the best deal on though, I've owned 1 or 2 Nvidia cards in the past also.
On Pc MK9 runs better on Nvidia cards, the game even has the nvidia logo in the beginning sponsors showing that it is optimized for it

nwo

Noob
On Pc MK9 runs better on Nvidia cards, the game even has the nvidia logo in the beginning sponsors showing that it is optimized for AMD
I dominate games all the time that have the Nvidia logo, with an AMD card. I'm a little ignorant on MK9 for PC, but I highly doubt its considered a "challenging" game to run. Unless its highly unoptimized like some other console ports sometimes are.

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
If you have enough power to begin with it won't matter. MKX is going to be pretty easy to run becuase they are going for 60fps 1080p on an APU... imagine how well it'll run at the same settings on a PC with a real graphics card. That shit's going to be easy to run even on 2 generation old cards at similar quality settings to xbone, promise.
Not necessarily the case. They could do a really bad job on the optimization for other card. A perfect example of this is Metro 2033. Run like crap on a GTX titan but beautifully on a 7870

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I dominate games all the time that have the Nvidia logo, with an AMD card. I'm a little ignorant on MK9 for PC, but I highly doubt its considered a "challenging" game to run. Unless its highly unoptimized like some other console ports sometimes are.
They did a really bad job on the port so it is unoptimized.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
What games are you running?!? I actually just upgraded to a 770 yesterday and threw a maxed out Farcry 3, crysis, and skyrim (ENB modded) at the thing and it just smiled and chugged along without a hitch. I actually came to the thread to voice my support for this reason. EDIT: hopping to throw the witcher 2, metro, arma, tomb raider, and hitman absolution at it later today.
I have a very old card(9800gt+) and I've been playing The Witcher 2 on high settings, but I only get like 35 fps lol. I imagine your card should rip right through those games.

EDIT; I forgot to mention it's on 768 resolution though.

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Is there any word about when the 800 series will be released?
Q4 2014/Q1-2 2015, tentatively. They are releasing 1-2 more architecture improvements on the 7 series first, nVidia always milks the hell out of their series before moving on.

And seriously, if you get an nVidia card, you're stupid if you get something other than an eVGA version. No one beats their OC+ editions, or their warranties.