What's new

Recommend me a new video card

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Hey Guys, So Instead Of Making A New Account Over At NewEgg, Decided I'd Just Ask You Kind Folks Here At TYM.

Im Planning On MKX Being On My PC Rather Than Buying A New Console, So I Wanna Go Ahead And Up My Rig. It's Fine At The Moment, But Some Slowdown With Other Games Kinda Makes Me Wanna Do It Now.

I'll Need A New Power Supply As Well. If You Have One To Recommend I'd Like To Check It Out.

Currently Running A MSI MoBo, Military Class. Not Sure What Number, Just Remember It Came In A Black Box. It Has Integrated Video Card Properties, So I've Been Just Running That. Looking FoR A Cheap Yet Effective Video Card. Any Links, Preferably To Newegg, Along With A Short Reason Why You Recommend It Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry For The Caps On Every Word. DroppeD My Phone Earlier.And....Yeah.....

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I would go with something along Nvidia, didn't look into a specific one yet (i'm at work) but Nvidia cards work a better for games (as of recently).

I know this because I have an HD Raedon and lazy developers don't really do much for us... so a lot of console ports end up sucking.

Bawlah

Noob
I totally agree! Nvidia is pretty badass! A GeForce 760 and above or a GeForce 850 and above.

Pyronn

Noob
I also recommend a Nvidia. In the past you'll get a series of cards that say GT at the suffix of the model number. I recommend finding anything that has GTX at the end. Those are a little more costly, but tend to last longer and give you more horsepower so-to-speak. Your biggest problem is the integrated video card. Typically integrated video cards share Memory with your main system, and don't have dedicated RAM. When you slap a new card in there, make sure the integrated card is disabled (most BIOS's typically switch the onboard off ) in the motherboard so the system memory is freed up -> More resources.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
What is your price range? I am looking to buy a new card soon so I have been browsing a lot lately and can help you out if you give me a range.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Hey yall, sorry for the delay in the reply, but here is what I got. Thanks all for the input, I just really wanted to make sure that I didn't buy something that wouldn't be compatible.

AMD A8 5600k APU with Radeon HD Graphix (3.60 GHz)

if it matters Im using Windows 7 (64bit) with 8GB RAM.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Hey yall, sorry for the delay in the reply, but here is what I got. Thanks all for the input, I just really wanted to make sure that I didn't buy something that wouldn't be compatible.

AMD A8 5600k APU with Radeon HD Graphix (3.60 GHz)

if it matters Im using Windows 7 (64bit) with 8GB RAM.
I strongly agree what @Mikemetroid said and recommend Nvidia for the time being. Nvidia has this new BS called Geworks or some crap like that. If a game uses Geworks the game works better with nivida and ati games have an issue running them or they look like crap.

This happened to many with Watchdogs on pc. Runs like shit regardless on most pcs with 2gb videocards because they have to patch it but on ATI it runs real bad. Crazy thing is the ATI cards can run other games no issue at times beating the Nivida cards.

This is my fear with PC gaming right now (which i know is a bit off topic) but ATI also does the same thing or will do the same soon. If this continues its going to be a pain in the ass for PC gaming.

Back on topic an Nvidia GTX card is what i and others here would recommend. Its a bit more money and sadly at this time we are kinda forced. I hope MKX doesn't use Geworks and just makes the game work on all pcs regardless of videocard.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
I suggest gtx 780, somewhat expensive but will be more than worth it.
That's what am hoping to get for my next build.
PS: the asus model is probably my favorite one
I wouldn't suggest anything that is not nvidia.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
blown away by the number of responses guys, thank you all so much.

so, I have no brand loyalty, the last video card I bought which was about 7 or 8 years ago now, was also a Nvidia, so I understand that the product works and works great. I went to Newegg, & I found a few that I'm comfortable paying for, and what I would like to do now, is just link them, and you'll let me know what y'all think of them, and which one you would recommend, if you would recommend any of them at all. thanks again guys.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-125-502

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-127-783

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-121-855

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-487-024

not sure if it matters at this point, but I would just like to remind everyone that I'm using an MSI motherboard, but I can't remember if its a class 3 or class 4 military grade. But Yes It Has Slots For A New Card.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Don't get dragged in by fan boys, do your research and form your own opinion on which card gives you the best fps per $$$. Any new card you get will be just fine whether it be nvidia or amd so dont get hung up on the brand.

Pyronn

Noob
Don't get dragged in by fan boys, do your research and form your own opinion on which card gives you the best fps per $$$. Any new card you get will be just fine whether it be nvidia or amd so dont get hung up on the brand.
.... Fansboys lol. In a way he's right because of the Nvidia bandwagon that replied to this forum. Since you have a AMD based chipset the ATI cards might be a better option depending on the drivers that are already installed. This doesn't mean you can't utilize Nvidia cards, it is just that ATI drivers tend to molest and leave poo-poo droppings all over the registry when fully installed.

- You mentioned that you have a MSI motherboard. Don't worry about this too much. You just need to know that you have an available PCI-Express slot for the card, and a decent power supply to accommodate it. Alot of people go overboard with the power supplies ( getting 1000 watt), but a 500-550 Watt minimum will be fine.
Like Sutter Pain mentioned, do the research. Typically you'll have forwarning on the min power supply & speed of the PCI-Express slot needed for optimal performance.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
.... Fansboys lol. In a way he's right because of the Nvidia bandwagon that replied to this forum. Since you have a AMD based chipset the ATI cards might be a better option depending on the drivers that are already installed. This doesn't mean you can't utilize Nvidia cards, it is just that ATI drivers tend to molest and leave poo-poo droppings all over the registry when fully installed.

- You mentioned that you have a MSI motherboard. Don't worry about this too much. You just need to know that you have an available PCI-Express slot for the card, and a decent power supply to accommodate it. Alot of people go overboard with the power supplies ( getting 1000 watt), but a 500-550 Watt minimum will be fine.
Like Sutter Pain mentioned, do the research. Typically you'll have forwarning on the min power supply & speed of the PCI-Express slot needed for optimal performance.
I was not pointing any fingers here just in general wherever you look for info there is gonna be this guy "Dont by XXX brand buy YYY instead XXX is garbage". I myself am trying to figure out which card to buy from a GTX 780, R9 290 and R9 290x. Whichever gpu has the best price per performance is the winner for me give 2 fucks if amd or nvidia i have owned both and liked both.

Reactions: nwo

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I'm shocked by all the "don't get a AMD card" comments. I know plenty of people with AMD builds and they have no problem whatsoever.

@ImmortalSkillit , Your biggest concern should be bottlenecking the CPU. I wouldn't go any higher than a GTX 660 or a R9 270. If you want to max out games for awhile I would think about upgrading your CPU as well, but the problem with that is your FM2+ socket. There aren't too many CPUs that use that socket atm.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I'm shocked by all the "don't get a AMD card" comments. I know plenty of people with AMD builds and they have no problem whatsoever.

@ImmortalSkillit , Your biggest concern should be bottlenecking the CPU. I wouldn't go any higher than a GTX 660 or a R9 270. If you want to max out games for awhile I would think about upgrading your CPU as well, but the problem with that is your FM2+ socket. There aren't too many CPUs that use that socket atm.
Its not the AMD card thats the issue, its the lazy ass developers man.

Like I said in my initial post, I have an AMD card and it works wonders but holy shit do developers neglect AMD users!

GTX 760 = 30fps 1080p gaming high settings
GTX 770 = 60fps 1080p gaming high settings
GTX 780 = 120fps 1080p gaming medium settings/60fps 1440p gaming medium settings
GTX 780Ti = 120fps+ 1080p gaming high settings/60fps+ 1440p gaming high settings

I have a 770 2GB and enjoy it. However I'm making the jump to 1440p soon so I'll have to upgrade the GPU to match that as well.

280x is a great card for the price but keep in mind you will not have nvidia features like Shadowplay, G-Sync, or Nvidia experience, and your drivers are generally not going to be as good as Nvidia's either. Build quality isn't terribly different so really it comes down to warranty and that kind of stuff. However despite these few negatives, AMD does have Mantle so it's kind of a toss up between proprietary technologies at this point. I prefer the green team but that's not to say the red team is bad.

Don't go lower than a 280x or 770 though -- it's just going to be a shitty card in the next year or two and you might as well spend up to a minimum of either of those cards to get better bang for your buck in the long run, trust me you WILL thank me for this. If you can find a deal on a refurb 780 from EVGA's b-stock (just google evga b-stock) grab that shit in a heartbeat... you get a full warranty and a much cheaper-than-retail card that's going to last you through the next few years of AAA titles at 1080p 60fps maximum settings with no frame dips (very very very important) at all and the potential for mods to make things even better.

Last edited:

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Don't go lower than a 280x or 770 though -- it's just going to be a shitty card in the next year or two
So is it time to replace my 580? Since I don't really play games past 2012, I've been able to play everything on high with no problem. However, there are some games like The Witcher 3 which I'm interested in playing on my PC coming up that might kick my card's ass.

I used to have a 590 but it burned out on me so I'm kind of hesitant to buy a Nvida card.

So is it time to replace my 580? Since I don't really play games past 2012, I've been able to play everything on high with no problem. However, there are some games like The Witcher 3 which I'm interested in playing on my PC coming up that might kick my card's ass.

I used to have a 590 but it burned out on me so I'm kind of hesitant to buy a Nvida card.
I'm not even sure. I wasn't really part of the hardware scene anywhere near the 580 being in its prime, so I don't know. Sorry dude!

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Newer games for next gen consoles are gonna run on an amd apu, so hopefully developers optimize for it. MK9 ran better on Nvidia but MKX might run better on AMD. I would wait for time to tell.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S

I always bought ATI because their cards aren't as expensive as nividia and use ti be able to do the same thing as nividia but that's not the case now.

I have a and 8 core cpu and would love to buy ati but I am a pc gamer and crap like watch dogs may be the norm imo .
Its not the AMD card thats the issue, its the lazy ass developers man.

Like I said in my initial post, I have an AMD card and it works wonders but holy shit do developers neglect AMD users!
Nah bro we r fan boys :p what we say is not from experience :p heh

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
GTX 760 = 30fps 1080p gaming high settings
GTX 770 = 60fps 1080p gaming high settings
GTX 780 = 120fps 1080p gaming medium settings/60fps 1440p gaming medium settings
GTX 780Ti = 120fps+ 1080p gaming high settings/60fps+ 1440p gaming high settings

I have a 770 2GB and enjoy it. However I'm making the jump to 1440p soon so I'll have to upgrade the GPU to match that as well.

280x is a great card for the price but keep in mind you will not have nvidia features like Shadowplay, G-Sync, or Nvidia experience, and your drivers are generally not going to be as good as Nvidia's either. Build quality isn't terribly different so really it comes down to warranty and that kind of stuff. However despite these few negatives, AMD does have Mantle so it's kind of a toss up between proprietary technologies at this point. I prefer the green team but that's not to say the red team is bad.

Don't go lower than a 280x or 770 though -- it's just going to be a shitty card in the next year or two and you might as well spend up to a minimum of either of those cards to get better bang for your buck in the long run, trust me you WILL thank me for this. If you can find a deal on a refurb 780 from EVGA's b-stock (just google evga b-stock) grab that shit in a heartbeat... you get a full warranty and a much cheaper-than-retail card that's going to last you through the next few years of AAA titles at 1080p 60fps maximum settings with no frame dips (very very very important) at all and the potential for mods to make things even better.
Without question a 770 would bottle neck his cpu. So I'm guessing everyone wants him to just build a completely new rig? Also, my GPU is literally 6 years old and I can still play most games at 30 fps, so I'm pretty sure a 760 could perform better than that.

Without question a 770 would bottle neck his cpu. So I'm guessing everyone wants him to just build a completely new rig? Also, my GPU is literally 6 years old and I can still play most games at 30 fps, so I'm pretty sure a 760 could perform better than that.
At what resolution, 720p? What exactly is most games? Can you play Star Citizeen, Metro:LL, Crysis 3? Like, sure that'll run less graphically-intensive games just fine but like, modern AAA titles? A 770 is barely enough dude. I own one. You need more power. The whole point of even playing on PC is 60fps+

I definitely think a whole-rig upgrade is in order.

its not true nvidia is better
atm amd offers better prize for performance but runs way hotter
maybe 780ti is king but at its prize
get something in the middle like gtx760 or r9 280

Newer games for next gen consoles are gonna run on an amd apu, so hopefully developers optimize for it. MK9 ran better on Nvidia but MKX might run better on AMD. I would wait for time to tell.
If you have enough power to begin with it won't matter. MKX is going to be pretty easy to run becuase they are going for 60fps 1080p on an APU... imagine how well it'll run at the same settings on a PC with a real graphics card. That shit's going to be easy to run even on 2 generation old cards at similar quality settings to xbone, promise.