What's new

Rate Your Character (Mortal Kombat X Edition)!

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Dvorah .

5/5 : 50/50 Mix ups and pressure. She lost her 50/50 but her pressure is nuts and technically still has a 50/50 after every jump in or ex throw.

5/5: neutral game and footsie. She is a great character because her great normals and pressure. She is the perfect character if you love long reaching and reasonably fast normals.

3/5: defensive options. Her ex wake up does like 10 dmg and takes forever to start up. The ex version takes away the good AA hit box. The opponent can break through your armor very easily.

4/5: zoning and anti zoning. Her anti zoning is off the charts good but because this is also zoning I gave it a 4. She has full-screen traps though with her zoning and can prove very annoying if you don't know how to get around it.

4/5 damage output. She gets about 30% everywhere no meter but for a bar can easily get 36-41%.

Overall ranking 21

Wetdoba

All too easy...
#2 and 4 could be 4s, other than that the list is fine.
The others might be that level mid screen but considering the amount of corner carry on his combos and how much better those categories get in the corner it is definitely something to keep in mind

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
There shall be no arguments.

Unless of course @cR WoundCowboy comes in here and starts talking about how Shinnok has very few, if any, options now that EX hell sparks are "only" +14 on block. I will lose my mind and start dropping the "f" word (i.e., fool).

Such is the intention.
Imposter Shinnok is now useless. I challenge you to prove this wrong, fool.

mkl

Poopbutt.
Kotal Kahn (War God)

1. 50/50 Pressure 2/5
He doesn't actually have a 50/50 like many people believe. Otherwise much of his mixup potential stems from opponent ignorance or a bad MU.

2. Neutral 5/5
One of the best truly footsie based neutral games in Moral Kombat X. With d4, d1, f1, f2, and even EX projectile he's virtually everywhere on screen at once. His pokes leave him in great positioning on hit and the opponent can rarely capitalize when they block them.

3. Defense 3/5
EX Overhead Sword is slow but it hits twice. The damage from it is okay for a bar but he really shines in his ability to low profile moves with d4.

4. Zoning/anti-zoning 1/5
He's not going to win any zoning contests unless he has infinite meter. His run is incredible but it's still very difficult for him to approach on characters like Pyromancer Tanya and Kenshi.

5. Damage 3.5/5
As far as practical combos go, his damage is slightly above average. In any variation he can get 43% for a bar from f2 so his damage is already nice. The War God specific combo buffs lie in 114's BnB being boosted to 42% for a bar and f34 going up to 34% with a bar. It's not all kosher though since he takes a corner damage nerf since he doesn't have access to Sunstone.

TOTAL - 14.5/25

Kung Lao (Tempest Boiiiiis)

1. 50/50 Pressure - 3/5
A 50/50 doesn't exist. The best he can mix his overheads up with is d3s/d4s/throws or f23 if the opponent is on life support and doesn't know the MU. His pressure is very good after the patch but not quite what it was pre-patch and that's a good thing. Everyone has seen what he can do so this requires little elaboration. I'll split the difference between 1/5 50/50 and 5/5 Pressure game.

2. Neutral 4.5/5
b2 is incredible as a footsie tool and leads to some of the highest meterless damage he can get. There's no catch either since it's safe on block cast wide. For a quicker but still far reaching option he has f2. He also can summon what amounts to a orbiting ice clone that completely negates your opponent's options most of the time. KL has one of the best, if not the best, anti-air games in MKX so he controls the air just as well as the ground. Even something as simple as backing up just enough and allowing b2 to catch their landing frames is amazing and not even why his anti-air game is good. Even with the nerf to EX Hat Spin the +12 allows him to be played as a extremely rushdown oriented character when he has meter and there's little the opponent can do about it if they get caught up in something like b2 or 112124.

3. Defense 5/5
EX Cyclone. Need I fucking say more? Okay, I will in brief. I'm waking up with something that will beat any move or normal you throw out, jumps, ill-spaced back dashes, pretty much anything except block. It also takes 2 hits of armor randomly which is retarded. You may have knocked me down but you're going to realize pretty quick that it's actually you who is in the mixup... of whether or not I EX Cyclone. Otherwise, a lot of his amazing defensive options were covered in neutral.

4. Zoning 4.5/5
While Kung Lao doesn't exactly have the best traditionally projectile focused zoning game in Tempest, he still has extremely strong zoning. With hat spin, great normals to box your opponent into very limited options, and his out of this world anti-air game your opponent is being zoned at every stage of the fight outside of completely full screen. Even then he has a mediocre hat toss to go with a mediocre teleport. These options aren't amazing but they're surely will prevent him from being at a true disadvantage from full screen.

5. Damage 5/5
Even with the damage nerf his meterless damage outclasses 75% of the cast's metered damage.

TOTAL - 22/25

Last edited:
I used M2Dave's scale..

1. The overhead option is -14 and punished heavily by almost every character.
2. The low option is punished by several characters.
3. In open space the low option is not respected unless SZ has 1 bar of meter vs male characters meaning most of the cast.
4. The damage in open space off of his 50/50's is not big damage. This brings risk vs reward into the equation.
What about in the corner when you have a clone up, is b2 still as unsafe against the majority of the cast?. You have ways to make your mixups safe ish. And you do not just have a 50/50. You can combo a grab into a clone.

Liu Kang

Mixups pressure FF- 3/5
DF- 5/5

Neutral- 4/5 universal

Defensive options- 3/5

Zoning FF- 4/5
DF- 3/5

Anti zoning FF- 3/5
DF- 4/5

Damage FF- 3/5
DF- 4/5

Total Score
FF- 20/25
DF- 23/25

Takeda - Shirai Ryu

50/50 mix ups and pressure 5/5
Takeda gets to start his 50/50 game before the opponent even reaches him. His b2 reaches almost 3/4's screen and b3 reaches about half. Yeah, they're a bit slow but people still get hit by it. He can constantly pressure at midscreen and further with f1 2+4 or f12 2+4 and he can cancel into kunai or do spear if he knows the opponent is going to try to armor or jump out of a kunai. To add on he can do tele cancels to those strings so he can bait armor moves if you don't want to do spear as well.

Ex Kunai is extremely terrifying mid match as well. it keeps the opponent guessing if takeda will instantly let it explode, delay it and go for a a hard to block set up or get a free 12-16% with a grab.

Takeda is broke.

Neutral game and footsies (5/5)

Stolen from the best Takeda (red Raptor): Takeda has some of the best footsies in the game, along with one of the best NJPs. His NJP is great for beating runs/pokes and can catch jump-ins because of its hitbox. His b2 and f12+4 cover half to 3/4 of the screen while also being decent anti-airs. Both can be hitconfirmed into full combo or made safe with kunais.

I will add on. You can keep the opponent guessing with NJP and air teleport. Usually you can NJ and then if you think the opponent thinks he is going to trip guard your NJP....as you are falling you can do air teleport and catch them trying to trip guard and either start pressure, grab, or punish in some cases.

Man this character is broken.

Defensive options (5/5)

He can use Meter to have armor on his fist of furry which will blow through gaps or catch people mashing. Which leads to heavy damage or can lead to a hard to block ex kunai set up. Ex teleport...come on...this thing hits on one side and then goes to the other side.....THAT HITS LOW, very confusing. If you're feeling ballsy you can wake up NJP as well b/c takeda's NJP is very broken according to some players.

Much broke, very OP.

Zoning and anti-zoning (5/5)

Takeda's long range normals are basically zoning tools. He can add kunais to that zoning and can keep it up if he has a lot of meter. You can't really out zone takeda too considering a lot of projects in this game are highs, he can easily neutral crouch it and then whiff punish with his zoning normals. If he's fighting an opponent that has mid hitting projectiles they have to respect the instant air teleport then. Characters that can zone in the air MUST respect air teleport. One right read or if a player can react fast enough. He can catch them with instant air teleport and get a full combo into 25-34% damage or end it in a hard to block set up with kunais.

Wow.....this character is bullshit.

Damage output (5/5)

Massive damage all around. I mean have you seen those combo vids that start off with Ji2 xx 44? You know the string that no one uses and will never hit anyone unless you get a massive whiff punish on someone mashing? Yeah that leads to a ton of damage. Meterless he's getting around 25%-28%. With 1 bar he can go up to 34%-40%. 2 bars can lead up to almost 50%! 3 bars can go over 50%!

Not to mention his unbreakable damage is insane. If you are down to your last 30-40% health and takeda catches with ex spear, ex air spear, b2, or b3.....kiss your chances of winning evo good bye.....

Talking about his shenanigans is making me wonder why they didn't nerf him sooner.

TOTAL (25/25)

In conclusion. This character is probably number 4. Behind tanya, lao, and cassie.

NEEDS NERFS ASAP.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Wolverine Goro

Mixups and Pressure. (3/5)
He's almost always safe because cancelling into spin is an option, as well as the fact that nearly ever string when completed is safe barring iirc 112 and 1212. Loses points for not having braindead mixups but is still solid in this area

Neutral game and footsies. (4/5)
Goro's pokes are godlike and so is f3. Up close you can bully characters with slower normals and force them to block, making a command grab more viable as a footsies option. f3 practically outspaces every other normal in the game, you can hit anyone and convert into full combos at a range where they cannot hit you. Ex punchwalk plays footsies for you if you go braindead.

Defensive options (2/5)
This is a hard one. Ex Vitor Belfort has multiple hits of armor and leads to a full combo, however, he is plagued by horrible AA options. I would give this category a 5 out of 5 if based only on grounded options and a 0 if based in the air. Therefore, rounding down to 2 seems only reasonable.

Zoning and anti zoning (2/5)
Booger is pretty useless, nobody is getting zoned out by goro
anti zoning presence is at least an option with the threat of ex stomp, however then youre spending meter for the possibility of 10%

Damage. (3/5)
meterless damage is low unless landed off of b12u2 starter, which while useful as a punish, is not to be expected with regularity.
one meter grants him low 40s for a bar midscreen, which is good enough to bump up the rating despite meh meterless options

TOTAL: 18/25

Last edited:

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Not my main but I want to do JOHNNY CAGE.

50/50's and mixups and Pressure- johnny has a great overhead that if blocked is only at -5 , he also has his 113 string which ends with a low , for a garbage psuedo 50/50 , other than that the only guessing you'll be doing against cage is in the corner , since his d4 makes the opponent wobble 60 years away from you on hit , and his d3 feels like 80 frame startup. His pressure seems like its great in Stunt double. But the problem is that you can armor every time he does a mimic on block , and the cage player cannot bait this armor , he is still in recovery , so as soon as you see him light up for some awesome pressure , you should be filled with joy to know that you get a free combo and your own momentum! (3/5)

Neutral game and footsies - This is where I had hoped johnny would thrive , buyt NRS was so afraid he would be mk9 cage , they made his only good footsie tool (F3) , a whopping -8 with NO PUSHBACK. F34 also being -8 , and non cancel able , severely cripples his neutral game in my opinion. Mileena can reversal roll , literally EVERY SINGLE OPTION johnny has in any variation off of f3. So his footsies are a joke in my opinion. (2/5)

Defensive options - His defensive options are actually one of his stronger suits in my opinion. Ex nut punch is very fast on startup and while it is punishable , it warrants a pretty big reward of roughly 30 % into more fraudulent pressure. Also his ex shadowkick going full screen and having armor , plus being safe on block , is very useful defensively. (4/5)

Zoning and anti Zoning - his zoning Is very mediocre , but if he is in stunt double with a life lead , it is pretty good imo. Counter zoning ? About the best he's got to get in on someone ( considering when I jump I feel like a fucking asronaught) besides walk and crouch is his ex shadow kick , which is safe but can be baited and ducked , and full combo punished. (3/5)

Damage output - The only reason I don't consider cage a complete shitter. This man hits like a truck. If you have 2 stunt doubles out and a bar or two , you can gross 45% midscreen into pressure , or up to 60% in the corner into more pressure. His damage output is insane. (5/5)

Overall score (17/25)

Sun God Kotal:
1. 50/50s: Dangerous tick throws, slow overheads, slow low string that doesnt tick or combo unless you're in the corner. Weak. 2/5
2. Neutral Game: Strong advancing strings that lead into huge damage, good walk speed, good pokes, good range, safe string options 5/5
3.Defensive options: Anti air throw, good uppercut, amazing air to air conversion, range, parry, semi fast punishes. No armored launcher. Low range armored wake up. 3/5
4. Zoning/Counter Zone: Slow mid hitting high damage projectile. Almost useless sun ray. Highly situational. 2.5/5
5. Damage output: fully optimized Kotal hurts when he hits. 5/5
17.5/25

Full Auto Jacqui Briggs

50/50 - (4/5): Her low has terrible range but both her overhead and low are pretty much safe on block and lead to a massive amount of damage. Having the ability to throw both out without even thinking about getting punished makes it better than most

Neutral - (3/5): Same problem Sektor had; terrible range on her pokes. Plus all her pokes are super slow compared to the rest of the cast. Her fastest jab is on the bottom half of the cast in terms of how good it is and all her low pokes either lack range or speed or both. Her best normal (F12) is 14/15 frames. The reason its a 3/5 and not 2/5 is because all her pokes are 0 or + on block.

Defensive Options - (1/5): Worst in the game. On top of the issues she has with pokes, only her and D'Vorrah are the ONLY characters in the game that don't have a meter burn wake up that is safe on block nor an unsafe meter burned wakeup that launches on hit, across ANY of their variations. (Quan atleast has one variation with a safe wakeup)

Zoning - (4/5): Pretty good zoning. Can mix it up well with up rockets (amazing recovery and +8 on block), machine gun (eats armor), and low rockets(safe on block). Only reason its not 5/5 is because there are just better zoners in the game.

Damage Output - (5/5): Her saving grace. Does great meterless damage and 40%+ one bar with relative ease, even in shitty online lag. Corner combos are 40%+ no meter with pretty much any of her combo starters and her safe 50/50 can facilitate that without consequence in the corner.

17/25
Sun God Kotal has no safe or launching armored wake up. Add that to your list.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Swarm Queen Dvorah:

Pressure 5/5: Even with the f112 nerf, she still has some of the best run cancels in the game. She also has true 50/50s, which can be especially deadly in the corner.

Neutral game and footsies 5/5: Has some of the best footsie tools in the game thanks to her extended reach. Best D4 in the game, best d2 in the game, ridiculous reach on f22, etc.

Defensive Option 2/5: Has one really bad wakeup that doesnt lead into anything. Said wakeup can be used to armor through strings but requires precise timing and still leads to nothing. She never really has to worry about jumps though so I gave her a 2.

Zoning and Anti-Zoning 3/5: Although puddle can be punished it is still a great anti zoning tool as the trade is almost always in her favor. She cant really zone herself though.

Damage Output 5/5: Even after the nerfs she still has really good damage, especially considering she can convert off of almost anything. Honestly she still has some of the best damage output in the game.

20/25

Venomous Dvorah

50/50s and pressure 4/5: Still has 50/50s but the overhead option is unsafe against some characters even when OS'd. She has a true vortex in the corner and throws are even more of a threat in this variation, so Venomous pressure is still just slightly under SQ.

Neutral Game and Footsies 5/5: Same as SQ except all of her footsie tools do damage over time when hit. Still think she has some of the best footsies in the game, especially this variation. Would give 6/5 if I could.

Defensive Options 3/5: Same as SQ except her armor move leads to DoT, which makes it more of a threat to wakeup and/or armor through strings. Her D2 also does DoT so jumping is even more of a bad idea.

Zoning and Anti-Zoning 1/5: Puddle doesnt really trade favorably unless you EX it. She has absolutely no projectile in this variation.

Damage Output 3/5: She lacks the damage of the other two variations, but with venom stacks she can still drain life pretty quickly.

16/25

Brood Mother Dvorah

50/50s and Pressure 4/5: Similar to Swarm Queen except she cannot convert off of b1 and f22 run cancels, so her 50/50 game is weaker. She still has good cancels off of f11 though so she is about where venemous is as far as pressure goes. She also has pseduo-unblockable setups with krawler, although with practice they are easily defended. Still a good tool to make opponents respect pressure.

Neutral Game and Footsies 5/5: See the two above

Defensive Options: 2/5: Same as SQ

Zoning and Anti-Zoning 2/5: Has an actual projectile but it isnt that great. You dont want to use Krawler to zone as it has cooldown and leads to some of her more damaging combos.

Damage Output 3/5: Again does not come close to SQ, but with Krawler she still has a respectable damage output. Only problem is if Krawler is on cooldown her damage output becomes worse.

16/25

Kobu Jutsu Tanya

Pressure and 50/50s 4/5: Her pressure is great as she can always end in tele cancel to be +2, she has frametraps on most characters with EX Tonfa, and she can delay rekkas to make it difficult to punish them consistently. Only reason she doesn't get full marks is she doesnt have a true 50/50.

Neutral Game and Footsies 4/5: She has decent footsie tools with F4 and F2, and she can throw EX Tonfa to combo from midscreen and get pressure going. She has an ok time anti-airing as her d2 is alright and her EX Tele is pretty good as an AA. She can also low profile like most characters. Finally, even with the nerf, she still has the ability to teleport away or in for free(this might change if they remove the ability to cancel teles into a move upon landing).

Defensive Options: 4/5: Has a relatively safe armored wakeup and can armor through most gaps easily.

Zoning and Anti-Zoning: 3/5: Tonfa does ok as a zoning tool, builds a bit of meter but can be neutral ducked. EX Tonfa is a great anti-Zoning tool as any trade with it means Tanya gets a combo and gets in for free.

Damage Output 3/5: Nothing special after the nerf. In line with most other characters.

18/25

Pyromancer Tanya

Pressure and 50/50s 2/5: Doesnt really have mixups other than f3 cancels. Can end in tele to make everything safe still and can also cancel into EX shroud to blowup anyone trying to armor through her gaps.

Footsies 4/5: Has the tools of the other variations but has a better AA in shroud. It is quite consistent and can open up zoning opportunities. Doent work on crossups though.

Defensive Options 4/5: EX Shroud covers almost all the bases. Armored safe wakeup? Check. Can blow up frame gaps? Check. Can Anti-Air? Check.

Zoning and Anti-Zoning 4/5: Not as ridiculous as it was pre-patch, but still really good. Pyromancers are now forced to use instant back tele and cancel into a fireball upon landing, or jumping back and doing fireball. Doing fireball off of a back teleport is not worth it due to the recover frames, at least not worth it most of the time. If you have dust on the opponent a lot her zoning is still a force to be reckoned with.

Damage Output 2/5: The damage nerfs hurt this variation the most. She can barely break 30% with a bar. She gets more damage off of an EX fireball(with dust on) than most of her combos.

16/25

Dragon Naginata Tanya

Pressure and 50/50s 4/5: Only Tanya variation that has true 50/50s. Still has telecancel pressure. Forward teleport nerf hurt her pressure a bit, but its still good.

Footsies 5/5: Definitely the best footsies out of all the Tanya variations. Has the extended range with the naginata and most importantly is still able to take advantage of her teleport mobility by canceling into the overhead spear. Can defend against AAs like Kobu can.

Defensive Options 1/5: Has no safe wakeup. Has a 50/50 with Flip and drill kick but they are horribly unsafe and both get beat by jump ins. She doesnt have anything to armor through string gaps either. Overall the worst defense of the three variations.

Zoning and Anti-Zoning 2/5: Doesnt have an actual projectile. However with a well timed teleport into staff she can get around most zoning fairly easily.'

Damage Output 3/5: The damage nerf brought her damage closer to Kobu.

15/25.

This is all in theory of course:DOGE

Last edited:

rafaw

#YouSuck
Johnny Cage(A-List)

1. 50/50 and Pressure: 5/5 He can mix a fast OH, throw, 113/11~stagger F2. Got a good pressure bc he got a lot of + frames on cancels/exforceball.
2. Neutral: 4/5 Great footsies with F3 and F2, D4 low profile/good range and +22 on hit -1 on block. Lack a reliable AA
3. Defensive: 4/5 Ex Nut is great, Ex Shadow kick too, a good poke and a low profile poke(d4)
4. Zoning/Anti-Zoning: 3/5 He got some power with forceball but not much.
5. Damage: 3/5 Midscreen he can get around 33% with a bar and 25% without, corner he can get around 35%

Total: 19/25

Johnny Cage(Stunt Double)

1. 50/50 and Pressure: 4/5 He can mix a fast OH, throw, 113/11~stagger F2. Got a good pressure with mimic, but it has some holes.
2. Neutral: 4/5 Great footsies with F3 and F2, D4 low profile/good range and +22 on hit -1 on block. Lack a reliable AA
3. Defensive: 4/5 Ex Nut is great, Ex Shadow kick too, a good poke and a low profile poke(d4)
4. Zoning/Anti-Zoning: 2/5 Worse projectile
5. Damage: 4/5 Midscreen he can get around 41% with a bar and 35% without, corner he can get around 47% with one bar

Total: 18/25

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Mileena:

- 50/50 mix-ups and pressure: 3/5
She needs meter for true mix-ups, her overhead option is super unsafe, while her low is pseudo-safe. High risk/medium reward character, in Ravenous she gets some meterless mix-ups, but those are high risk/low reward.

- Neutral game and footsies:
5/5
Mileena is really good in this bitch! In Piercing she has a godlike B12 which is a great whiff punisher and it's also -5 on block, in Ravenous and Ethereal she has B2 which is also -5 and has a little less reach than her B12 in Piercing, but still is great. Roll is a great whiff punisher as well, top 5 AA in the game IMO (roll) and she has D2 and S2.

- Defensive options:
2.5/5
She has a nice armored launcher, but she needs meter for it and her pokes are all kinda slow, with the fastest being D1 at 9 frames and D3 at 10 frames.

- Zoning and anti-zoning:
3/5
Sais and telekick and roll, her low and air sais have awful recovery (both are still very useful) she has nice zoning and for anti-zoning she has telekick and roll which works to low profile against projectiles.

-Damage output:
4/5
She has very good damage meterless and with meter, 30-40%. 40~50% meterless or one bar in the corner.

17.5/25
Check your stuff man. Her Fastest poke is her Uppercut at 6 frames.

I'll do mine in a bit, can't afford to take anymore time off of the artwork I'm doing.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Check your stuff man. Her Fastest poke is her Uppercut at 6 frames.

I'll do mine in a bit, can't afford to take anymore time off of the artwork I'm doing.
Her uppecut is 8 frames of start up, a high and -15 on block so not better lol. Roll is just as fast, more punisheable but at least it gives her more damage. ;)

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Mad respect to the OP for this thread. This is a good one but IMO the categories should look more like this:

Mobility - This was left out but is very important. Some character may have great footsies but lack in the mobility area. Why should they be lumped together?

Armored Special -
Let's be more specific than just calling this a defensive option.. A good armored special move IS your offense in the case of say Jax. In the same respect some great armored specials make for shit wake ups right?

Meter Building -
This is so game changing I can't believe it wasn't mentioned. It's also very different from meter usage so I don't want to lump it together as meter management.

Meter Dependency -
So crucial! Some of us use character who live and die by special meter. Others save it for EX-ray attacks. Lets' talk about it.

Damage -
Obviously gotta stay but I'd even go as far as to separate damage into no bar, 1 bar, 2 bar, 3 bar. Some of us get 24% meterless and 54% with 3 bar. Shouldn't that be taken into account?

Footsie Tools
- A great one but I'm thinking it's too broad. Some chacaters have really long slow footsie tools others have faster forward advancing ones. This can't be grouped together with mobility.

Rush Down -
To combine mix ups and pressure as if they aren't immensely different is pretty insane... Takeda has great mix ups but his pressure has holes and is wonky at best. The mix-ups/pressure category is what sparked this for me. I wasn't able to give an accurate number becuase one is so good and the other is his biggest weakness.. Gotta split this up.

Mix-ups -
Self Explanatory

Zoning
- Self Explanatory

Anti Zoning
- Teleports. Some of us have them and can't zone well. lol!

*Bonus Style Points
- Tack this onto your character! Cuz why not right? We're rating our characters not just there tools. :cool:

Let me know if this was better or not. If not my fall back game is stong. lol!