What's new

Raiden Teleport Punishment Guide: The Easiest Way To Stop Sending Me Ragemail

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'm sick of people letting me give it to them in the ass all match for free because they're awful at the game. So here's a one-stop-shop for tools you can use to punish Raiden's teleport, thus making me hate you sooooooo much less:

1) Every character can punish with a throw.
2) Every character except Shang Tsung can punish with an uppercut, so can Smoke and Kenshi, but you need frame perfect timing. I could end this thread right here.
3) Every character except Raiden can punish with :d:bk, but all characters can hit him in the recovery with at least one of their down pokes which will not only stuff his ass but also give you a guaranteed pressure string, therein providing you with momentum. I should end this thread right here.

Now I'll list everything every character has that can snag Raiden in teleport recovery. If someone is blank, that's because I don't have frame data for them.

Baraka:
- All down pokes
- Blade spin
- Slices
- Blade charge

Cyber Sub-Zero:
- All down pokes
- :fk:fk:bp / :fk:bk
- Slide
- Instant air close/far dive kick
- :fp:fp~freeze

Cyrax:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp~net/:bp:fp~net/:fk:fk~net

Ermac:
- All down pokes
- :fk:fp~lift
- :bp~lift
- :fp:bp~lift

Freddy Krueger:
- All down pokes
- :r:bk:bp:fp~combo

Jade:
- All down pokes
- :x

Jax:
- All down pokes
- Dash punch
- Gotcha grab
- :r:bk:fp:fk

Johnny Cage:
- All down pokes
- :bp:fp:r:bp~combo
- :r:fk:fk~nut punch
- Flip kick
- Shadow kick

Kabal:
- All down pokes
- :l:bk
- :r:bk~spin
- :r:fk:bp~spin
- :l:fp:bp:fp~combo

Kano:
- All down pokes
- Up ball
- Straight ball
- Choke
- :bp:fp:bp~combo
- :l:fp:fp:bp~combo

Kenshi:
- All down pokes, but uppercut needs to be frame perfect for punishment.
- Spirit Charge
- Rising Karma (must be frame perfect)
- :bp:fp:l:bp~combo
- :r:bp:bp:l:fp~combo

Kitana:
- All down pokes
- :bp:fp~:en fan combos/:bp:fp~cutter into safe jump.

Kung Lao:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp:bp~spin
- :bp:fp:bp:fp~spin
- :l:fk:fk~spin
- :x

Liu Kang:
- All down pokes
- :l:fk:fp:bp~combo
- :bp:fp:fk~combo

Mileena:
- All down pokes
- Roll~combo

Nightwolf:
- All down pokes
- Shoulder
- :r:fk:fp~combo
- :fp:bp:bp~combo

Noob:
- All down pokes
- Shadow tackle
- :bp:fp:bp~teleslam/fireball/:x
- Shadow Upkick is not an actual punish here, but if you use it like one the threat will keep them grounded, and depending on timing, it'll smack them out of superman too.

Quan-Chi:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp:bp~trance~combo

Raiden:
- All down pokes except :d:bk
- Superman
- :r:bp:bk~superman
- :fp:bp:fp~combo
- :fk:fk:bk~combo

Rain:
- All down pokes, uppercut requires frame perfect timing.
- :fp:bp:r:bk~combo
- :fk:fk~bubble/lightning~combo
- :bk:fk~bubble/lightning~combo

Reptile:
- All down pokes
- Elbow dash
- Slide
- :fk:bp~combo
- :fp:bp:bp~combo
- :x (must be frame perfect)

Scorpion:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp~spear
- :fk:fk~spear
- :bp:fp~spear

Sektor:
- All down pokes
- Flamethrower works the same way here as Noob's upkick
- :fp:bp:l:fp~combo
- :l:fk:bk~TU~combo
- :l:bp~TU~combo

Shang Tsung:
- All down pokes except uppercut
- :bp:bp:fp~combo
- :r:bk:fk:bk~combo

Sheeva:
- All down pokes
- :fp:bp:l:fp, dash :bk~grab'n'punch
- :bp:fp:bp:r:fp~grab'n'punch

Sindel:
- All down pokes
- Sweep
- :bk:bk, :fp~scream (frame perfect timing needed)

Skarlet:
- All down pokes
- 212~dagger cancel~combo

Smoke:
- All down pokes, uppercut requires frame perfect timing.
- :bp:fp~smoke bomb

Sonya:
- All down pokes
- Instant air divekick~combo (note that this is far and away the BEST teleport punisher in the entire game)
- :fp:fp:bk~MS~:l:bp~combo
- :bp:fp~cartwheel~combo

Stryker:
- All down pokes
- Knows Skarlet and Quan's pains

Sub-Zero:
- All down pokes, especially :d:bk
- Srsly, :d:bk makes Raiden cry. Do it moar.
- Slide
- :bp:bp~freeze

So basically the thing to remember here is that getting a full combo punish on Raiden's teleport will require anticipation. Certain things have a little bit more of a lenient punishment window like :bp:bp~freeze, :bp:fp~smoke bomb and everything Kung Lao does, though. Fair enough, if it was easy to punish teleport for full combo Raiden would be the worst character in any fighting game ever.

Even if you won't be able to get a full combo off on it, if you can't :d:bk the shit out of a teleport that puts Raiden at -14 at reappearance, stop playing.

You might notice that I have stressed DOWN POKES in this guide. Like... repeatedly. Had to have mentioned them around 30+ times. There's a reason for that. Footsies/poking/patience/getting a life lead and running away like your wang is on fire is how you don't lose to Raiden. Play it like it's Street Fighter, basically. You end up taking the teleport away from him and then he's just some asshole in a stupid hat with bad normals.

AND NOW I CAN GET SOME SLEEP. Thunder take you. :china:

Somberness

Lights
Skarlet could do a 2,1 combo, I think Quan could have something off his 1. Roll is fast enough but you have to press 3 buttons instead of 1 which makes it tough. I'd stick to uppercut or d4 because if you are playing Mileena, your hands are probably hovering over that in the first place.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Skarlet could do a 2,1 combo, I think Quan could have something off his 1. Roll is fast enough but you have to press 3 buttons instead of 1 which makes it tough. I'd stick to uppercut or d4 because if you are playing Mileena, you're hands are probably hovering over that in the first place.
Ugh, I feel really stupid now. So damn tired I completely missed this shit.

So scratch the earlier statement to just "She could be Jade."

B W1zZ

Noob
Yep. So noted.

For all intents and purposes this guide considers uppercuts to be down pokes.

By the way, I looked at your avatar. Then killed a kitten like it was a reflex. Pretty pro, man. Pretty pro.
I lied, Quan's uppercut is 7 frames, thought it was 6.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
By the way, I looked at your avatar. Then killed a kitten like it was a reflex. Pretty pro, man. Pretty pro.
Oh, there are much worse Sheeva ones out there...the horrors I've seen.

I'm sick of people letting me give it to them in the ass all match for free because they're awful at the game.
I'd hope people only bitch about Raiden's teleport online? Still, it is a tad ridiculous that people still bitch about it online...been nearly 6 months now yet people somehow expect online to get better. I like to abuse Kano's balls against the bad Raiden's online, it's pretty amusing; I think that's the only fun thing to do online anymore. "God damn it...alright I'll do it again...FUCK!" you'd think they'd stop doing it...lol

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I'd hope people only bitch about Raiden's teleport online? Still, it is a tad ridiculous that people still bitch about it online...been nearly 6 months now yet people somehow expect online to get better.
Yeah, it is only online. BUT, the majority of people playing this game are:

1) Strictly online players
2) Retarded

In addition, I'm taking into consideration that balance adjustments in this game seem to be dictated by whatever the most online only guys bitch about at once, i.e. why teleport is now -14 rather than -12. So I'm here to spoon feed a bunch of crying babies information on how to fight Raiden.

B W1zZ

Noob
Yeah, it is only online. BUT, the majority of people playing this game are:

1) Strictly online players
2) Retarded

In addition, I'm taking into consideration that balance adjustments in this game seem to be dictated by whatever the most online only guys bitch about at once, i.e. why teleport is now -14 rather than -12. So I'm here to spoon feed a bunch of crying babies information on how to fight Raiden.
Excellent guide Vilen, lots of juicy info here for all the Raiden haters :p

webreg

Noob
I think the problem is not punishing the teleport but people online are very inflexible and don't adjust to the matchup. They just do their thing results be damned and against Raiden this simply won't work as well. Every whiffed move can lead to a tele combo or at least a block string and pressure from Raiden. You have to be ready to punish the tele and you can't do that if you are hell bent on chaining one hellfire after another. So while I love that punishment guide I don't think people don't know how to punish it, they simply can't.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
So speaking of punishing teleport, PL was teleporting just outside of down poke range from what I hear at FF. I was there and watching him play but I wasn't able to depict what it was that causes this. At what point does/can this occur?

So speaking of punishing teleport, PL was teleporting just outside of down poke range from what I hear at FF. I was there and watching him play but I wasn't able to depict what it was that causes this. At what point does/can this occur?
I know this is late but I think all he was doing is simply backing up. It could have also been frm 16bit and slips not knowing when to punish or pl just being in their heads

I'm sorry but there's no way to punish TP on reaction. You have to be expecting a TP to full combo punish. And if he does it in the middle of a block string good fucking luck punishing that shit unless he has a pattern you can read.

Lol reptile cant punish raiden teleport with 321 bnb, raiden is at -13 and 3 is 13. Slide isnt a choice either, you have 1 frame to punish it with a big risk of making mistake. The only reliable ones are pokes and dash

Theme

Noob
Every time, it seems as though I anticipate my friends teleport, he is able to jump out of my grab or just low poke me... Raiden, along with his teleport + d+1 is ..................

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Every time, it seems as though I anticipate my friends teleport, he is able to jump out of my grab or just low poke me... Raiden, along with his teleport + d+1 is ..................
Yep. I gave up the day Foxy was doing the tele, d3 (d3 would beat my reactions) and then he'd throw or blockstring. I put the controller down eventually. I hate raiden lol.

Punishing tele is not as easy as you think when you're thinking about 10 other things all at the same time. You have to anticipate the tele to do anything about it and a raiden who is smart with the tele is bloody murder to play against.

Theme

Noob
Yep. I gave up the day Foxy was doing the tele, d3 (d3 would beat my reactions) and then he'd throw or blockstring. I put the controller down eventually. I hate raiden lol.

Punishing tele is not as easy as you think when you're thinking about 10 other things all at the same time. You have to anticipate the tele to do anything about it and a raiden who is smart with the tele is bloody murder to play against.
Thats my friend exactly. He does d3 or d1 (Raidens d3+d1 is godlike stupid... pun intended) right after teleport and then blockstrings me and I can do nothing but block it and take chip and he builds mad meter.

And it is quite difficult to anticipate his every move... Raiden's superman is so damn fast, I dont think I can block on reaction if its 2 or 3/4s of the screen. I can do it a full screen away, but thats rarely the case. His god damn Raiden is able to jump or poke me every time when I try to punish the teleport.

A Raiden that uses every tool like Superman (Not stupidly), Grab, and spark, is a bitch to deal with, seriously. Seems as though I can do NOTHING... And people keep telling me you can "poke" raiden out of both his blockstrings, but I have not ever been able to. I've even tried to spin it with Kung Lao, but thats not possible either... He flashes for a second but still gets hit by Raiden's string. It seemed as though the spin got off, but it never hit him. Havent tried with Kitana's d1, but after using Kung Lao, I dont want to risk letting go of block, thats too dangerous, an easy 40%+ if you fuck up.

Theme

Noob
You have to ex spin with Kung Lao.
Oh really? I was always under the impression that EX-Spin is 8+ frames, a few frames longer than normal spin.

I also wish Raiden's teleport would teleport closer to me. That small gap makes it so I cant spin on reaction, cause the distance is too far. If I dash, it'd be too late.