What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden General Discussion

Nivek

Athena guide me, the thunder God...
F1 beats almost all jump ins and cross ups
No and no... jump kicks(for example ermac's and scorpion's) are impossible to antiair and if the cross up isnt point black you get a BEAUTIFUL b1 whiffed with your back at the opponent (or you just whiff)...
the best antiair overall is EX db2..

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
No and no... jump kicks(for example ermac's and scorpion's) are impossible to antiair and if the cross up isnt point black you get a BEAUTIFUL b1 whiffed with your back at the opponent (or you just whiff)...
the best antiair overall is EX db2..
I didn't say all jump ins and didn't mention EX vb because you don't always have a bar to use. I stand on my opinion that it's a great aa option. And most jump kicks lose to this move as well

Have we found any bad matchups yet? I mean, I have lost to a lot of kung jins but after more experience it doesnt feel unfair.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Why is Raiden so good?

Seeing as he's a BAMF I'm pretty interested in learning him, but am having a bit of trouble..

What's so good about him? What's his playstyle? Do we have some main BnBs I should learn to get started?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I think a lot of people aren't taking advantage of how negative raiden is after his charge strings. The benefit of having such a fast mid hitting combo starter that's mostly safe should be offset by less meter build and the negative frames afterwards. Only reptile can punish it with slide, but he does build maybe a little too much meter off of the charge strings.

Right now thunder god builds the most meter and requires the least amount of meter to do damage. I think a reasonable nerf would be way less meter build off of his charged strings.

Maybe a reasonable nerf would be less pushback from the charge strings. That might make more sense than less meter build. Either way this needs to be discussed before the nerf bat smashes him into oblivion. Lol

Albo

Noob
I think a lot of people aren't taking advantage of how negative raiden is after his charge strings. The benefit of having such a fast mid hitting combo starter that's mostly safe should be offset by less meter build and the negative frames afterwards. Only reptile can punish it with slide, but he does build maybe a little too much meter off of the charge strings.

Right now thunder god builds the most meter and requires the least amount of meter to do damage. I think a reasonable nerf would be way less meter build off of his charged strings.

Maybe a reasonable nerf would be less pushback from the charge strings. That might make more sense than less meter build. Either way this needs to be discussed before the nerf bat smashes him into oblivion. Lol
There's no reason not to cancel the charge strings into shocker. It's safer, more chip and if they try to counter the charge string they get caught. Reptile's dash is 9f btw, so he can't punish f12b2 and b32 as they're -8 (same with subs slide).

And frame data says f2 2+4 is -13 but that is definitely around 0 on block if you test it with jumping. Really been liking that string recently. f2 is a good footsie tool at around sweep range and the hitbox and range on 2+4 part is ridiculous.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
just realizing how much range his j1 covers... oooooooof love it...
Great horizontal range. Awful vertical range. I typically go for j3 any time I'm jumping in unless I know it will be a punish. Then j1. J2 is practically worthless in my experience.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

Some long range normals can punish f12b2 as well. Specifically Kotals D4.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
What are you getting from anti air/ air to air conversions. I currently use f2(1 or 2 reps depending on range or just f2 run) b14 superman or shocker and I think it's roughly 19-23% meterless but I also know better meterless damage is possible if you run cancel fireball

Some long range normals can punish f12b2 as well. Specifically Kotals D4.
Cancel last hit into shocker. Even more pushback and less negative. I Don't know how many 6 frame normals with good reach there are to punish that.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I second the issue, not sure about solutions though.

He's amazing in this game especially his TG variation I just hope NRS doesn't end up nerfing him in some way
I imagine NRS can nerf some of his normals which will affect universally all variations, but hey, nerf to Raiden was overdue, right?

Or nerf something else because "hey guys, but he has vortex and both options on his 50/50 can be safe, so he gotta take hit somewhere else".

At this point I will start to wondering what is supposed to make this sparky 50/50 guy Raiden.

/massive_playstyle_salt

Speaking of cancelling charge strings into shocker, won't opponent be too far for the latter to be sensible?

Oh, and another one: frame data for EX-tele is clearly bollocks. At very least its startup is not 0, you can occasionally see him armoring through stuff on startup. I also doubt it's as fast as it's being advertised (7f total or someshit).

Last edited:

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
There's no reason not to cancel the charge strings into shocker. It's safer, more chip and if they try to counter the charge string they get caught. Reptile's dash is 9f btw, so he can't punish f12b2 and b32 as they're -8 (same with subs slide).

And frame data says f2 2+4 is -13 but that is definitely around 0 on block if you test it with jumping. Really been liking that string recently. f2 is a good footsie tool at around sweep range and the hitbox and range on 2+4 part is ridiculous.
Well, setting opponent on reversal slide says otherwise. Maybe it's ex-slide.

Albo

Noob
Well, setting opponent on reversal slide says otherwise. Maybe it's ex-slide.
Yea it's ex slide as it's 6f but it's only 8% for a bar and a tight punish window for reptile. I'd just use 214, f2 and 34 against him to be safe in certain situations.

Unrelated but I just got the new 1.04 patch on PS4. Has anyone noticed any changes to raiden?