What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

seoulspirit

Ermac Combo Video'er
I think the only person this would be doable with is Tom because he's the only one I've seen successfully do naked Xrays with KL

Reedoms

Noob
Maybe the dash is actually connecting and that's what's cancelling the armor.
Or it just disappears after the initial hit has landed.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
I don't think the dash connected because he did not flash as in he took a hit. Also like Tom said. I have a aura that surrounds my body which has a hitbox of it's own. So he did not make contact with me.

The reason I even did the naked XRAY it's because I knew he was gonna dash behind the forball for pressure. So I was like wake up XRAY should beat it all. Wrong!

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Kung Lao is one of the few characters whose armor goes away after he hits, allowing for a slim chance that he can be hit before he can get the grab in. It's always been like that. Yep he's horrible no one should use him or if they do never use that xray.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
he still has one of the best xrays in the game.. try using sindel in a high level match, her xray wont hit foes low poking or crossing her up and if done in combos like b1,2, b1~xray the combo + xray will do less damage then an actual naked xray.. so be happy you dont main sindel....

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
he still has one of the best xrays in the game.. try using sindel in a high level match, her xray wont hit foes low poking or crossing her up and if done in combos like b1,2, b1~xray the combo + xray will do less damage then an actual naked xray.. so be happy you dont main sindel....
That's true. But I guess his XRAY has some weak points.
No offense dan but I always see you bitch about sindel. Why haven't you dropped her ass already? Lol you like her that much? character loyalty? If so. I respect that.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
That's true. But I guess his XRAY has some weak points.
No offense dan but I always see you bitch about sindel. Why haven't you dropped her ass already? Lol you like her that much? character loyalty? If so. I respect that.
character loyalty.. yea i do bitch alot about her because shes like the only character that makes no sense.. the handcuffs on her scream is annoying as fuck.

Im gonna have to bump this, Im also looking for Kung Lao BnBs.

What is his most damaging combo AFTER spin?
What about in the corner?
What to use to combo into Xray or use to combo after Xray?

Ive been using a variety of different combos and it seems all the information is completely outdated so I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

When kung lao does his 2,4 string, i either press 1+2 or 1+3 but sometimes it does this crazy move where he throws the opponent up in the air and punches him across the screen. Could you please specify the conditions in order for this move to be executed consistantly?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
What's the best way to counter roll up pressure? Because it seems almost everytime I release block to counter, he buffers into the spin and I get hit lol. Not all the time but sometimes.

Zanxus

When kung lao does his 2,4 string, i either press 1+2 or 1+3 but sometimes it does this crazy move where he throws the opponent up in the air and punches him across the screen. Could you please specify the conditions in order for this move to be executed consistantly?
To execute the move is you do 2,4 string press 1+3 during this animation the moment he grabs the leg its a small window but you press 2 (multiple times is fine) it takes practice but its really not that hard.

What's the best way to counter roll up pressure? Because it seems almost everytime I release block to counter, he buffers into the spin and I get hit lol. Not all the time but sometimes.
You can stop the roll during its startup either poking it out with a d1 or d3 but you have to hit him before his feet come forward. The roll on block by itself is actually unsafe (unless its the very tip end of the roll) so the lao player will cancel it with a spin which is a risk or cancel into low hat which is the safe option. I usually risk the spin when i have the meter to breaker or I will have it if they block it and punish me.

Kl's 2 , 4 , Spin Help

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone explain to me why does KL's 2, 4, spin combo doesn't always work. Sometimes the spin whiffs, and I just can't figure out why.

LK-520

Noob
It's stance specific. It only works from Open Stance.
This means that your front foot and your opponent's need to be opposite for it to work. So if your character's feet look like this
---o----o
o----------o

Or this
o----------o
---o-----o

It will work. But if they look like this
---o--------o
o--------o

Or this
o--------o
---o--------o

the spin will miss.

Edit: Those diagrams didn't work the way I wanted them to the first time

Wait a moment, so your saying that if my opponent's chest if facing the screen, I should also be facing away from it? Like, can you explain it to me with the reference of where my chest should be facing.

If you and your opponent are in opposing stances it won't work. For example, if your opponent's chest is facing the screen, your chest needs to be facing the screen as well. Conversely, if your opponent's back is facing the screen your back needs to be facing the screen as well.

If you and your opponent are in opposing stances it won't work. For example, if your opponent's chest is facing the screen, your chest needs to be facing the screen as well. Conversely, if your opponent's back is facing the screen your back needs to be facing the screen as well.
Thx Playpal for the info, although I don't think I'll ever use it to effect in a match lol. I think it would just kinda slow my game down if I had to check every time what my stance is. But I'll try it out, and if it's pretty useful, i'll defintely use it more.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Thanks ^ yeah I was referring to the ladder frames/tip of the roll and combined with the online element, the lag makes him even more safe then usual. Unless decent connection of offline then like you said, it's unsafe. Was about to ask, how pokes do against it.

Wow, you can cancel his roll into low hat? geez....lol didn't know that, I don't play KL, just play against him often lol

should i just play kung lao?

the kung lao character design and moveset is just stupid.

tournaments are great and all, good for the community but an outnumbering number of players are online warriors.

online warriors are what determine the success of this game and i've got an army of supporters that outnmuber any of you fantastic tournament players when i say that kung lao is stupid. he's just stupid.

i love the game, learn characters to find my playstyle and it's just stupid to play decently well and the comes along some kung lao guy who abuses stuff online because the game is not the same as offline. we all know who this guy is, it's the guy who barely wins any fights unless he takes kung lao and just cheeses you to death with the characters annoying and frustrating shit.

it's just shit okay.

you tournament players confirm this just by refusing to play online or stating things that offline is different. it is, indeed it is we know that. but the majority of mk people who make up those 3 million copies sold play online. and this pack of people is what will determine the future of mk9. if the pack moves on because of shit like kung lao there is no mk10.

as much as i want an mk10 or umk9, shit like kung lao has to go. it's just dumb.

and i'm not saying this because i lose to random lao's who perform their bisexual shit online i'm am fully capable of returning the favor to these guys and it's just... stupid.

what's the point?

shit needs to be scaled down for the casual gamer. pros will be pros even if the game is easier, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if it then becomes more enjoyable since they will just be able to play on fast forward.

at least us casuals will be able to do something.

i can keep going but i'll just stop now because kung lao is like a repellant. he stinks like shit and when i play the game and he shows up i just want to drop the game all together man.

:(

edit:

so i'm in this koth room and the kung lao guy that inspired me to write this has 7 wins, all as kung, and now decided to play a diff char and magically lost. surprised?

*sigh*