What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Did anyone notice that this string can be ended with a punch in the gut or an overhead hat? Apparently the overhead hat is done by pressing back before the last 2, but doesn't always come out. And, on-topic, I use two fingers - index and middle, as my thumb is not doing it well.

Griefa

Noob
Ex teleport counter?

I made a thread a while back on how to counter low hat, and the community did a great job brainstorming to come up with answers and possible ways to stop it. Im looking to do the same herewithout turning this into a nerd kl thread. With the proper knowledge of counters and recounters, what originally seems broken may not be in the least bit, and I'd like to try and solve these issues with that in mind.

Which brings me to this: Ex teleport. Is there any way to punish this, or is there any way to escape the opener that kl will get as a result of you holding block?

gdf

Noob
Did anyone notice that this string can be ended with a punch in the gut or an overhead hat? Apparently the overhead hat is done by pressing back before the last 2, but doesn't always come out. And, on-topic, I use two fingers - index and middle, as my thumb is not doing it well.
For that I actually thought it depended on the last button you pressed, if the last one use input is 1, then out comes the gut punch, and vice-versa.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
For that I actually thought it depended on the last button you pressed, if the last one use input is 1, then out comes the gut punch, and vice-versa.
I don't know exactly how it works, but it can be ended with an overhead hat.

gdf

Noob
I don't know exactly how it works, but it can be ended with an overhead hat.
When I said vice-versa I meant end it with a 2.
2,1,2,1,2,1,2. For hat
2,1,2,1,2,1. For punch
That's how it works for me. I might be clicking forward a lot when I am doing the hat.

D-MyzE

Noob
Yeah screw those KL nerds :p

Pretty sure the best way is to just jump back, because anything you do will be absorbed by the armor. For a reptile I think if you dash it will wiff, because Kung Lao is in the air, and you get put a good distance away to set up zoning or just get out of pressure.

You can do an Air Gotcha Grab with Jax, deal about 3% damage to him by hitting his armor, and have his attack whiff right through you. You recover before he hits the ground, as well. And if you Air Gotcha Grab late enough, you can just grab him out of it completely, though depending on his follow-up, Kung Lao can hit you before your grab starts if you do it that late.

You can also use an armored move to trade with Kung Lao, and punish him after his armor is gone. Jade's EX glow seems particularly good for that.

Also, most X-Rays would just break Kung Lao's armor.

Belial

Noob
It is mainly char dependant
EX teleport isnt really an issue as you can jump back on reaction and there is nothing he can do about it. If your reaction is untrained and you dont want to train it - give up and play another game.

Normal teleport would be interesting to discuss though.
KL has a number of things he can do after.
3 can be timed in roughtly 3 different timings:
A) As he is rising from below - hits mid, KL cant jump d+1 after its blocked (gotta double check that though), but can jump on hit. Probably disadv on hit. Will beat out most uppercut attempts.
B) As he is around the peak - hits high, KL can jump d+1 on block, has adv on hit and disadv on block.
C) as he is landing - hits mid, massive adv on block - 1 will jail unless 3 is blocked crouched. Combo on hit.

He can also do something like 2, of course.

Counters to this are fairly different.
For example if you are caught in a block string like 112, then he teleports and you keep on ducking holding guard (expecting a hat for example) there is nothing he can do to beat a timed uppercut, since your hitbox when you face the other side is different. You just wait for him to pass the low point (where he can use option A (see above).

If you turn around expecting a teleport (i.e release guard and press anything) or just press guard or duck, or whatever at the moment he teleports - you turn around, and his option A will beat everything you do, you can only guard it. Which is pretty fucked up. Of course you get a decent position on guard, but if you sit blocking this opens up for other opportunities, I guess.

So solutions for this are faily different. If you can train your reaction you can simply wait a sec, and if block happens early - atack, if no block happens - uppercut.
Some characters with low hitbox d+3 can use timed d+3 to beat ALL options KL can do, and then get a guaranteed launch with d+1.

Im not sure if its really clear, so if I get the chance I'll try to make a video for you.

To me the real problem comes off the fact that KL can, say 112, crossup, then teleport. And IF you expected crossup - you're screwed, and a lot of damage is coming your way. Teleport just opens up for too much different options and there should be an easier way to punish that if you read it.

bnb question

I just learned kung lao 1 week ago, so far im using 112 spin jkdivekick rollspin as my bnb. My question is why don't people use 112spin,njp,dash1,dash1,dash1,24 1+3 2, as there bnb? as it is easier and deals like 33 percent compared to 29, is there a reason why the standard one is beter?

Belial

Noob
Okay, I did more research on TP and it looks even worse than I thought at first.

EVERY TIME KL does NORMAL teleport, he is advantaged against almost every character.
As ridiculous as it may seem, it is true!

In practice mode fastest TP 3 may wiff on some characters ducking, but fact is, it game you never happen to be ducking and holding guard you will always react to TP by pressing something and will turn around. What is even more strange, that ducking doesnt seem instant, so some characters on which fastest TP3 wiff when they are crouch-guarding will still be blocked when they turn around!

So basically
early TP 3 (hits MID) - disadv on guard, huge adv on hit - free mixups.
late TP 3 (hits MID) - jail on guard, combos on hits.
This can be mixed up at will.

Add a possibility of an EX teleport and it becomes almost impossible to beat teleport even if you expect it.
Only thing that reliably punishes teleport is some characters d+1 (I only managed to do it reliably with Shang Tsung) IF you aniticipate it. meaning, if you add a possiblity of jump/crossup it becomes a mixup again.

This definitely needs a fix. Not a hat, not a spin - they are totally fine as is. TP needs a fix. It should be possible to guaranteed punish it if you read it.

Some Kung Lao newbie questions

Hey,

I just started playing with KL and I'm having some difficulties performing some of the combos I had seen on youtube.

1) Is it still possible to "punch-slam" an opponent after the spin? I mean, jumping straight up while he's airborne and pressing 1 or 2. Because as far as I noticed he's always too far from you to hit. I also tried dashing first but there's a HUGE delay after taking those steps.

2) Could someone please direct me at a working updated wall combo? I understand this was nerfed badly in recent patches.

Thanks

Hey I have the same question. I was also wondering if it is possible to dash after dive kick anymore. I have been trying to for a very ong time and usually end up giving up after a while. A lot of combos that I have seen online usually have a spin dive kick then dash but I can never get close enough in time to do anything. The dive kick seems as if it put the opponent too far away.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Is called neutral jump punch, or NJP for short.

but yes you can.
1,1,2,spin,njp works without dashing in a bit
2,1,spin, njp works without dashing in a bit
but the 2,4,spin you have to dash in a bit, even after a teleport,3,2,4,spin,njp combo starter
the way i dash in is right after i input the spin command, i dash, as soon as he dashes i block and then i njp, might take a few tries, but is not that hard.
also you have to time the njp, is not just jump and press 1 or 2 right away :)
not sure about the 2,1,2,1,2,spin since i hardly use it like that.

hope that helps ;)

Hey I have the same question. I was also wondering if it is possible to dash after dive kick anymore. I have been trying to for a very ong time and usually end up giving up after a while. A lot of combos that I have seen online usually have a spin dive kick then dash but I can never get close enough in time to do anything. The dive kick seems as if it put the opponent too far away.
yes you can still do that, you just have to input the dash command before you land.
again itl take a few tries but once you do it a few times, itll get easier ;)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I just usually jump back since his enhanced teleport has armor(which is retarded) but whatever lol....

Bubble

Noob
I've just picked up Kung after all this time, mainly for a fall back character. I'm trying to get his combos down, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the 2 4, 1+3, 2 combos.

I can't seem to land it after the, 112, spin, jk, dk, dash, jab...

Is this combo still legit?

It seems like there is not enough time to dash into the 2 4.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
I've just picked up Kung after all this time, mainly for a fall back character. I'm trying to get his combos down, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the 2 4, 1+3, 2 combos.

I can't seem to land it after the, 112, spin, jk, dk, dash, jab...

Is this combo still legit?
Bubble what I do is I land the jk, dk I can in press 1 twice kinda like
112-df1-jk-dk ->>1->>1->>24 r1 or rb(you don't have to press 1,3). The 1 in the air allow the opponent to fall down a bit so the 4 after 2,4 connects.

With the added 2 after the command grab part at the end i usually never use because it sends the opponent far from you and stop your pressure. But when I attempt it idk why I press 2 forward over and over and it works

It seems like there is not enough time to dash into the 2 4.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
end ur combos with the command grab, NOT spin.
this, fucking this.

With the command grab it leaves your opponent right at your feet unable to roll away or get out of the situation like any command grab. with this you can continue your pressure because most people are scared of your spin to deny there wake-up attempt so they will just turtle.

if you end in spin than your left still in the spin animation and the opponent can roll back and get out to get a chance to breath which you don't want.

Aboolayla

Come At Me Bro
Personally i always use the the second option with the command grab because it leaves your opponant unable to roll back out of pressure and leaves them at your feet powerless with the only option a wake-up attack. I think people usually use the roll spin ending because its easier and requires less strict timing but other than that I dont know. Also you can use the command grab ending 2/3 to either send the opponant flying back to the corner or send them behind you.

Bubble

Noob
Thanks for the reply Aboolayla.:)

I'll give it a try.

.........................Edit........................

Just had a closer look at the OP and realised that there is no jk in the combo I am trying to do. I took it out and manage to hit the combo almost every time now. I also manage to hit the two jabs before the 2 4, R1, 2.

I might be fooling myself, but I'm pretty sure I managed to complete the combo with jk a couple of times.
Can anyone do this consistently?

If so any tips on the timing?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So do you guys think once the next nerf/patch update comes, KL's spin on block will DEFINITELY be punishable online now? I've noticed, while offline it's fine online still makes him safe on recovery at the moment online...

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Where's my Armor??!!

Here's a video of something that happened during a match between me and Showtime. Idk why this happens. Isent Lao suppose to have armor? And after hitting a XRAY I thought nothing can interrupt the XRAY animation. Oh well. Hope this don't happen to any of y'all in a tourney match.