What's new

Match-up Discussion Pre-Evo 2014 Aquaman MU Chart

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I agree with the Zod number, I even think it's a potential 6-4 in Aquaman's favor because we don't get a free trait off of phantom strike, meter burn or not. It's pretty close but FTD makes it so we can pretty much only get trait out after ending a combo with 123~4 or hitting with ground blast.

Last edited:

astronout

see you at the top.
The Frost community is not the same as the Khaotik says so community. No point even arguing the MU if that is the point I have to go off of.
I've beaten Rico Suave and Insaynne, both 3-0 at WB (Rico did run it back on me 5-4) and I play Tom constantly and I agree with Tom saying it's even. This matchup comes down to who gets the lifelead first.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I've beaten Rico Suave and Insaynne, both 3-0 at WB (Rico did run it back on me 5-4) and I play Tom constantly and I agree with Tom saying it's even. This matchup comes down to who gets the lifelead first.
Yeah it is very life lead dependent for sure. Getting in on both characters can be tough.

TBH I don't really mind what people think the MU number is. It isn't bad for Frost... it could be a 5-5, but my personal opinion is 6-4 and that Frost definitely does not lose the MU.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I can't see Zatanna just losing 4-6 to Aquaman. This is her hardes Match up and it's 3-7 IMO. Every other Zatanna player thinks he beats her 3-7 as well or worse.

Her meterbuilding is horrible in this match up, she doesn't get a punish for MB trident rush on block and if she pushblocks she just wasted a bar which is bad in this MU, also he can punish puppet master on block while she can't punish FTD.

Zatanna's best gameplay is a zoning game, Aquaman complately shuts her zoning game down. Her rushdown game consists on her vortex, which he can excape easily. He can pretty much trait up and escape every of our combo starters, and if he doesn't have trait to escape it he will have it to break our puppet master ender.
This MU is ass.

astronout

see you at the top.
Yeah it is very life lead dependent for sure. Getting in on both characters can be tough.
Agreed. All of aquaman's jump in attempts are punished of reaction by MB F3 or D2. Dashing in is of course checked by slide. Daggers also control the Ground game as even a trade with FTD favors KF. Getting in on aquaman is just as tough thanks to an even superior D2 and B12. Also, because Trident Rush cannot be punished, Aquaman has an easier time maintaining any life lead.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Agreed. All of aquaman's jump in attempts are punished of reaction by MB F3 or D2. Dashing in is of course checked by slide. Daggers also control the Ground game as even a trade with FTD favors KF. Getting in on aquaman is just as tough thanks to an even superior D2 and B12. Also, because Trident Rush cannot be punished, Aquaman has an easier time maintaining any life lead.
Yeah I agree with you on a lot of fronts. I don't think Aqua has an easier time maintaining a life lead though, Frost is able to hold her own with a life lead in this MU. Aquaman having to get in when Frost is free to chuck daggers and build meter setting up MB f3's/etc is pretty good. Aqua definitely makes it tough on his end though too being able to stuff dash in's with D1/D2. His post slide options are also pretty good as well.

I posted earlier in the thread quoting the KF communities reason for her winning the matchup 'she can punish FTD 6-4' and was getting notifications
Don't worry you are the biggest up-player of the Aquaman MU since you have it at 7-3, remember? Your words not mine.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
5 - 5 vs. Doomsday
Aquaman gets more damage than Doomsday in every situation for the exact same read. Aquaman does way more chip on block than Doomsday does. Aquaman is one of the few characters besides Sinestro that can effectively keep Doomsday out when he has trait on. Dealing with Doomsday in trait isn't a problem because you can basically throw out a string into trident rush and use up all his trait time on hit or block. Aquaman can punish earth shaker if he has trait on reaction, so you can't earth shaker when he has it. You can't reverse Aquaman's wake ups in the corner because he can just water shield and full combo punish you if you try to do anything. The only advantage to this match up is that if you knock him down mid screen he has to have solid defense. Other than that I don't really see any point in this match up where Doomsday has better options than Aquaman.

Aquaman gets more damage than Doomsday in every situation for the exact same read. Aquaman does way more chip on block than Doomsday does. Aquaman is one of the few characters besides Sinestro that can effectively keep Doomsday out when he has trait on. Dealing with Doomsday in trait isn't a problem because you can basically throw out a string into trident rush and use up all his trait time on hit or block. Aquaman can punish earth shaker if he has trait on reaction, so you can't earth shaker when he has it. You can't reverse Aquaman's wake ups in the corner because he can just water shield and full combo punish you if you try to do anything. The only advantage to this match up is that if you knock him down mid screen he has to have solid defense. Other than that I don't really see any point in this match up where Doomsday has better options than Aquaman.
oops.. I meant to make that 6-4.

I can't see Zatanna just losing 4-6 to Aquaman. This is her hardes Match up and it's 3-7 IMO. Every other Zatanna player thinks he beats her 3-7 as well or worse.

Her meterbuilding is horrible in this match up, she doesn't get a punish for MB trident rush on block and if she pushblocks she just wasted a bar which is bad in this MU, also he can punish puppet master on block while she can't punish FTD.

Zatanna's best gameplay is a zoning game, Aquaman complately shuts her zoning game down. Her rushdown game consists on her vortex, which he can excape easily. He can pretty much trait up and escape every of our combo starters, and if he doesn't have trait to escape it he will have it to break our puppet master ender.
This MU is ass.
I have him winning 6-4. I also clearly stated that, only a few months into 1.06, I do not want to say any mu is 7-3 or worse.

Last edited:

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
@Tom Brady and @Blind_Man, hmm I know that, but I feel like once I get close to her, she can't do much in my opinion. She has no punish for ex trident rush if I'm correct, she can't jump at him, and her wakeups aren't good either. I could be wrong, but I feel AM should be able to get in on her and keep her in the corner. Also he has better footsies.
Yeah once you get in his range she starts to struggle but getting in that range is difficult and if she just holds back you're out of that range. Yes she has no punish but neither does most of the cast so whatever. Aquaman as no mix ups so Ravens wake ups being poop don't matter that much. If you corner her, again yes it's trouble for her but the issue is getting her there. It's not easy for aquaman to get where he wants to be in this match up. That's why it's difficult for him. And if Raven knocks him down its over.

Yeah once you get in his range she starts to struggle but getting in that range is difficult and if she just holds back you're out of that range. Yes she has no punish but neither does most of the cast so whatever. Aquaman as no mix ups so Ravens wake ups being poop don't matter that much. If you corner her, again yes it's trouble for her but the issue is getting her there. It's not easy for aquaman to get where he wants to be in this match up. That's why it's difficult for him. And if Raven knocks him down its over.
Idk, I will need to play this matchup more, I feel it is 5 5 at worse for AM. Just my opinion on it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
How is Superman 5-5? He loses the zoning and chip war, b1 out ranges f2, and jump ins get stuffed by d2
If anyone is qualified to speak on that particular matchup, it'd be Theo :p

He does not lose the zoning war however, as instant air laser can beat FTD on a quick read/reaction. Both players have to be careful and not get careless fullscreen.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Being an online warrior I'm always wrong so whatever, but I still dont understand why people think Aquaman beats, or goes even with Green Lantern or Dickwing (in staff). Staffwing has every advantage over Aquaman, so why is that even?

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
Being an online warrior I'm always wrong so whatever, but I still dont understand why people think Aquaman beats, or goes even with Green Lantern or Dickwing (in staff). Staffwing has every advantage over Aquaman, so why is that even?
Explain "every advantage over aquaman"

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Explain "every advantage over aquaman"
Sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole. I'm sure I'll accidentally leave shit out but here we go.

Here's what I actually think: Nightwing in staff out reaches Aquaman. He's very safe, and has a lot of +frame attacks. In other words, he's tough to punish and Aquaman is forced to risk a backdash or lose a bar to push block. Aquaman might as well not even attempt to zone Staffwing. Staffwing's J1 stuffs Aquaman's D2. Trait isnt extremely usefull against him either.

Above all, with life lead Nightwing can turtle the shit out of Aquaman. Fuck, even if Aquaman has life lead he cant stay back, he's forced to go into the meat grinder to win.

So if Aquaman has trouble from a distance, and trouble up close, doesnt that equal bad matchup? There's a big guessing game against Nightwing and sometimes it's just the right reads that win the match, but all in all I think Nightwing vs Aquaman is a 4-6.

I've watched all the streams, and all the big tournaments and I'm still yet to see a Nightwing as good as the people I play on PSN. I understand that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

Commence ridicule! :-P

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So as far as Green Lantern, GL doesn't have a lot of good options to open AM up. Everyone says "Just shoot air Oa's rocket", and while that does help keep the matchup closer, if the AM is blocking, shielding, or backdashing your rockets you will do far less damage in chip or the occasional hit than he will do by blowing up your jump with a well-timed FTD or dash-up d2.

In footsies, knowing that GL only has his low for a ranged attack, it's very easy for AM to block and/or blow GL up as he attempts to get in. Knowing that GL's F3 only hits from close range, it's very easy for AM to space you out with MB rush to a distance where dash is not an option, jump-in is blown up, and you only have the low to block. B3, D2 etc. give AM excellent space control, plus trait gets him out of the first hit of b1x. If you try to get cute AM can break or match armor with ease. And the MB rush also gives him easy chip.

If you watch Denzell vs. Theo, it's a perfect summation of why GL doesn't win that match. Or Orochi vs. Tom, which was closer but still saw Orochi lose. No GL is consistently winning against any top Aquaman player that knows the ins of the matchup.

Last edited: