What's new

Post your best quick tips!

What is that one tip that you learned from someone or one thing that you integrated into your game that you discovored on your own that you think changed your playing the most drastically? For example, for me, learning to jump when predicting a low after my opponents block string, not pressing buttons after a jump-in or after being hit by something that leaves me negative, and learning to AA are all things immediately made me a much better player.

These can be character specific! In fact, those are some of the ones that I find most game-changing. Learning to dash or armor through DD's novas and learning to dash between DS's guns immediately made me much better at those matchups.

This is not a personal request; I just think that it could be really useful to compile any useful tips floating around so that they can be shared more easily.

wow these are awesome. i think i may just have to comment ahead of time saying that i like all tips so i dont look like an idiot scrolling through my own thread liking every post haha

Another big broad one: learning to play good defense. Defense, in my opinion, is what makes a good player great and is really the one major thing that many players neglect. It IS something that you need to actually practice. I guarantee it is just as important as all of your fancy combos and will really take your game to the next level.

Another big broad one: learning to play good defense. Defense, in my opinion, is what makes a good player great and is really the one major thing that many players neglect. It IS something that you need to actually practice. I guarantee it is just as important as all of your fancy combos and will really take your game to the next level.
Now how do you go about practicing defense? Can I set the A.I to very hard and focus on my defense?

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
My tip would be to reach out to people for running a series of games with. I don't have a local scene so its the only way for me to gain match up exp. Don't just worry about winning but aim to gain the most info regarding your strengths, weaknesses and as much about what the other character is capable of.

SlushoMan

Stylish Member
react to stage interactables with meter b3 , someone keeps picking a stage you dont like, time them out at character select. Trying to get a hang of internet lag with your combos go to online practice mode and train with a friend. Ask questions after a loss , maybe about a certain string or move you dont understand , youd be surprised how helpful some opponents can be.

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
My tip - Play MK, SS4, UMvC3, because any of those games are a thousand times better than this game.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
A lot of people can link D1 into specials. Use it to escape pressure.

Black Adam for example, can do B1 into his lightning zap move, which does a respectable 9% or 18% and full screen breathing room if you meterburn it.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Don't watch your own character. Just the other guy and the space between you.
This this THIS! I've been caught sleeping by full-screen projectiles because I was too busy looking at my guy, rather than seeing my opponent wind up before tossing out a fireball. Makes you feel so stupid when you get hit by that.

A lot of people can link D1 into specials. Use it to escape pressure.

Black Adam for example, can do B1 into his lightning zap move, which does a respectable 9% or 18% and full screen breathing room if you meterburn it.
Yes! Knowing that you can link special to a d1 is essential. All you sinestro mains out there NEED to know this. D1 xx chains is so key to his strategy.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Don't watch your own character. Just the other guy and the space between you.
This sounds very helpful, thanks.

Yes! Knowing that you can link special to a d1 is essential. All you sinestro mains out there NEED to know this. D1 xx chains is so key to his strategy.
I'm sorry, noob here. "D1 xx" is Down + Light into "xx"? What's "xx"? And thank you for starting this thread. It's very helpful! If I had to add anything, I'd just reiterate what trevor91 said and look at your losses and figure out where you were playing weakly. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions when you get demolished. I learned a few useful things from asking a Flash player and a Hawkgirl player for tips after they beat me.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
This sounds very helpful, thanks.

I'm sorry, noob here. "D1 xx" is Down + Light into "xx"? What's "xx"? And thank you for starting this thread. It's very helpful! If I had to add anything, I'd just reiterate what trevor91 said and look at your losses and figure out where you were playing weakly. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions when you get demolished. I learned a few useful things from asking a Flash player and a Hawkgirl player for tips after they beat me.
xx is cancel, meaning you input the input of the special move during the d1 so that it automatically cancels the recovery frames of d1 and immediately do the special move.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
xx is cancel, meaning you input the input of the special move during the d1 so that it automatically cancels the recovery frames of d1 and immediately do the special move.
I think I get it. For instance, I'd do D1 xx DF1 for Sinestro's Down Light attack directly into Fireball to link the two? So xx or cancel is just a continuation between moves that can be combo-ed?

Edit: Sorry, moves that can be combo-ed but aren't already listed as comboes. For instance, D1 xx DF1 like we just talked about versus 1,1,2 which is a listed combo for Sinestro.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I think I get it. For instance, I'd do D1 xx DF1 for Sinestro's Down Light attack directly into Fireball to link the two? So xx or cancel is just a continuation between moves that can be combo-ed?
Essentially. But you don't want to be doing D1 DF1, that shit is negative on HIT at that range.

Also, I've found that you only need to do a few motions instead of many if you do it quick.

For example, Doomsday relies on D1 xx stomp

Well, the input is D1, Df2

What I do is, D1,F2 really quickly and it registers as a D1 DF2. Same with any other input like that.