What's new

Post your best quick tips!

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Essentially. But you don't want to be doing D1 DF1, that shit is negative on HIT at that range.

Also, I've found that you only need to do a few motions instead of many if you do it quick.

For example, Doomsday relies on D1 xx stomp

Well, the input is D1, Df2

What I do is, D1,F2 really quickly and it registers as a D1 DF2. Same with any other input like that.
Sorry, getting really off-topic here. I was just using that as a for instance but thanks for pointing it out. But... um... you mean what exactly by "negative on HIT"?

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Sorry, getting really off-topic here. I was just using that as a for instance but thanks for pointing it out. But... um... you mean what exactly by "negative on HIT"?
It means that on hit, your opponent will be able to act before you can.

It all boils down to hit advantage, block advantage, start up frames and recovery. Its not too hard once you grasp it, so lets get down to it...

Frames are essentially, 1/60th of a second. 60 frames in a second. Moves have start up frames, which is how many frames it takes for them to become active and ... do stuff. Some moves are fast, some are slow. Superman, that dickback, has his F23 which has 8 frames startup, that's really fast. Most D1s are 6-7 frames thankfully, but you get a few odd ones like Bane or Grundy having really slow D1s. Anyway...

When you do a move, it has recovery frames after the active frames. Where you are putting your guns away, or going back to a normal stance after punching. This varies from move to move, some recover quickly, some not. And the thing about recovery is, it tells you whether a move is safe, or not, depending on how the move is executed.

Now we move onto block advantage, and hit advantage. When you hit someone with something, it puts them in a state where they can't do anything or react for a while. On block, this is usually much lower than on hit. So, for example, if a move is -6 on block, it means that if your opponent blocks your attack, your recovery frames, will stop 6 frames after his blockstun. Giving your opponent an advantage of 6 frames. With sinestros case, his fireballs are both negative on block, and on hit.

However, you must also think about it if your move doesn't hit at all. It doesn't have any hit advantage, or any block advantage. You only have recovery frames and that is very dangerous for you.

All this is found in the move list. You will want to look at a moves start up frames, to see how quick it is. Sometimes you need fast moves to beat your opponents fast moves, how safe it is, you don't want them to punish you.

I've probably missed something out, but this probably tells you enough about frames and stuff.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
I think I get it. For instance, I'd do D1 xx DF1 for Sinestro's Down Light attack directly into Fireball to link the two? So xx or cancel is just a continuation between moves that can be combo-ed?
Yes. It also works on block if you wanna bait somebody. Let's say I use Hawkgirl and the opponent block my d1.
I can do d1 db2 to safely avoid any attack that doesn't have very long range.
I can also do d1 db23 to attack the opponent. Except my d1 is negative on block, that means the opponent can react BEFORE me. BUT if he tries to do anything, like his own d1 to interrupt me, my db23 will hit him. If he doesn't do anything, I'll just go over him and completely mess up my pressure (unless the opponent is standing, in that case it will hit him on block).

JaredL

Yes. It also works on block if you wanna bait somebody. Let's say I use Hawkgirl and the opponent block my d1.
I can do d1 db2 to safely avoid any attack that doesn't have very long range.
I can also do d1 db23 to attack the opponent. Except my d1 is negative on block, that means the opponent can react BEFORE me. BUT if he tries to do anything, like his own d1 to interrupt me, my db23 will hit him. If he doesn't do anything, I'll just go over him and completely mess up my pressure (unless the opponent is standing, in that case it will hit him on block).
Fuck hawkgirl though... bitch makes SFxTimeout seem thrilling.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
This is something I do and it may work for some and may not work for others, I apply my military experience. In the military we would train using likely scenarios that would most commonly occur, sure these drills were very scripted, but were effective in teaching our sailors how to properly react and stay calm in a situation.

In practice mode create record the AI character to do what most commonly would be done with the charcter, such as have them perform and unpredictible pattern of mix-up attacks and then practice the different ways to defend and punish said attacks. This will force muscel memory on you and you will then react accordingly to these paticular attacks that are thrown at you. Do this with any attacks in the game that get you the most.

Throw! It keeps your opponent honest.
Stupid question here: I play on a stick and use the shortcut button for throw.... I like the stick b/c it makes certain inputs easier for me but it gives me trouble with my throwing game; I don't throw often b/c I always have trouble with the fingering when I try it. Is there a combination of the 1 (light), 2 (medium), 3 (heavy), or 4 (trait) buttons I can input instead?

JaredL

Stupid question here: I play on a stick and use the shortcut button for throw.... I like the stick b/c it makes certain inputs easier for me but it gives me trouble with my throwing game; I don't throw often b/c I always have trouble with the fingering when I try it. Is there a combination of the 1 (light), 2 (medium), 3 (heavy), or 4 (trait) buttons I can input instead?
1+3 I habeeb

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Yes, 1+3 will throw the opponent. Or is it 1+2? I don't remember.

Edit: Blast, I was ninja'd!

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Yes, 1+3 will throw the opponent. Or is it 1+2? I don't remember.

Edit: Blast, I was ninja'd!
1+3 is a throw shortcut
1+2 is an interactible
db/df MB is a bounce cancel shortcut. this game on a stick really only requires the use of 5 buttons.

Somea2V

Thread Referee

It all boils down to hit advantage, block advantage, start up frames and recovery. Its not too hard once you grasp it, so lets get down to it...

Frames are essentially, 1/60th of a second. 60 frames in a second. Moves have start up frames, which is how many frames it takes for them to become active and ... do stuff. Some moves are fast, some are slow. Superman, that dickback, has his F23 which has 8 frames startup, that's really fast. Most D1s are 6-7 frames thankfully, but you get a few odd ones like Bane or Grundy having really slow D1s. Anyway...

When you do a move, it has recovery frames after the active frames. Where you are putting your guns away, or going back to a normal stance after punching. This varies from move to move, some recover quickly, some not. And the thing about recovery is, it tells you whether a move is safe, or not, depending on how the move is executed.

Now we move onto block advantage, and hit advantage. When you hit someone with something, it puts them in a state where they can't do anything or react for a while. On block, this is usually much lower than on hit. So, for example, if a move is -6 on block, it means that if your opponent blocks your attack, your recovery frames, will stop 6 frames after his blockstun. Giving your opponent an advantage of 6 frames. With sinestros case, his fireballs are both negative on block, and on hit.

However, you must also think about it if your move doesn't hit at all. It doesn't have any hit advantage, or any block advantage. You only have recovery frames and that is very dangerous for you.

All this is found in the move list. You will want to look at a moves start up frames, to see how quick it is. Sometimes you need fast moves to beat your opponents fast moves, how safe it is, you don't want them to punish you.

I've probably missed something out, but this probably tells you enough about frames and stuff.
Thank you for the explanations. I was able to figure out what start-up frames and recovery frames were pretty easily, but I had been unsure on Hit and Block. I had thought they translated into "how weak the next attack will be in a combo" and "how much less damage it does when blocked", respectively. Completely wrong, but now I know. As I said, it was very helpful and the thoroughness of your answer, while unnecessary at points, kept the information very clear. I'm not sure what you missed, but I understand these much better and can use the Move List function much more proficiently now.

Although I do have to point out that Rushdown Hawkgirls exist. Aside from the other individual who replied to you, I learned a bit from a rushdown Hawkgirl who decimated me.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
The best thing I learned is how good is with some characters with low hit to cancel it into MB F3. Killer frost, DS, Joker, Batman, Grundy, Bane,Flash are the ones in my mind right now.

What About Active Frames?

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Green Lantern has a very good f3
Yes he has, but you are misssing the point. I meant let say B1 canceled into MB f3. Low, overhead. Don't ever do it with Green Lantern. Your opponent will be blocking low high anyway because of his B12. But for other characters it becomes 50/50 and if your f3 is + on block, keep pressuring them.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Block low against WW's Lasso stance and hope you can see the lasso overhead.

Try to learn to integrate pushblocking into your game against characters that lock you down in the corner asap, it's a really powerful mechanic that a lot of people forget about.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
What About Active Frames?
Yep, one thing you will never see MK players talk about. But moves with more active frames are very good as a meaty attack. AKA a move that you throw out over your opponent waking up.

A lot of wakeup attacks can be stuffed so you want to learn which characters are bad on wakeup and stick mid hitting moves with a good amount of active frames over their body to continue pressure on wake up. This makes hard knock downs important as well.