What's new

Political Discussion Thread

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Ground Rules:
  1. BE CIVIL! People are going to disagree with you, that is life. Please try to have a respectful argument or debate, don't result to throwing around insults. If someone is really getting under your skin, please use the ignore feature instead of starting a flame war.
This rule is the one that has to be followed by everyone if this thread is to stay open. Please dont ruin it for everyone else.​
So without further ado, I want to get the ball rolling on this. I am going into college as a poli sci major, and a big thing in political science is getting views from both sides. Since TYM has such diverse opinions, these threads usually give a lot of insight into multiple issues. I also love having (friendly) debates, so this is a good opportunity for that as well. Feel free to chime in if you don't live in the U.S, its always better to see how the govt. works in other countries as well!​
Current Political Issues (9-28-13):
  • Abortion​
  • Gun Control​
  • Marijuana legalization​
  • Government Shutdown​
  • Obamacare​
  • War on terror​
  • Gay Marriage​
  • Debt Ceiling​
Those are just a few suggestions, feel free to bring anything political up. And remember: Be Civil!

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Abortion: Pro Choice
Gun Control: Chicago
Marijuana Legalization: don't smoke it, don't care. The argument that alcohol is more deadly has been stated more than enough.

To ignorant of the latter 3 to speak on them much.

Zoidberg747

Abortion: Pro Choice
Gun Control: Chicago
Marijuana Legalization: don't smoke it, don't care. The argument that alcohol is more deadly has been stated more than enough.

To ignorant of the latter 3 to speak on them much.
I agree with you for the most part.

The only reason I care about marijuana legalization is because it was only illegal due to big businesses wanting to protect the hemp industries. As far as actually smoking it goes, dont really want to do it but dont care if anyone else does.

Killphil

I'm really glad half the posts in here are irrelevant. There was/is a political discussion thread way back when and I don't recall it being closed, despite disagreements.

We're quick to chew each other out over disagreements in a video game, but heaven forbid we discuss anything that pertains to real life issues.

Zoidberg747

I'm really glad half the posts in here are irrelevant. There was/is a political discussion thread way back when and I don't recall it being closed, despite disagreements.

We're quick to chew each other out over disagreements in a video game, but heaven forbid we discuss anything that pertains to real life issues.
It was closed, because people got out of hand.

If this one gets out of hand, oh well. I had a lot of good debates in the old thread which is why I wanted to bring the thread back.

Killphil

It was closed, because people got out of hand.

If this one gets out of hand, oh well. I had a lot of good debates in the old thread which is why I wanted to bring the thread back.

People get out of hand in every thread, but I guess as long as it pertains to mortal kombat and injustice its free game.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
1.) Abortion: I'm pro choice...although I do believe "it" is alive at inception. Also, with the exception of rape or what have you, I think there should be a legal limit or something. I read a statistic about how it's common for everyday women to have like 3 a year or something...

2.) Gun Control: Absolutely against it. Government statistics prove that there is less crime when more law abiding citizens are carrying. I believe in background checks and all that...but no way in hell can you strip the law abiding citizens of their second amendment right. Chicago is a fine example of why gun control is a complete and utter failure. They have some of the strictest gun control laws and it's like GTA over there.

3.) Weed: Absolutely in favor of it's legalization. I don't smoke it...but the research and statistics add up to me. Rarely are crimes committed while on it...no one has ever OD'd while using it...and quite frankly our economy would be booming if it could be taxed and regulated. Also, I work in HealthCare, and so many of the patients I help just want their pain to go away...I'm all for it. I think it's absurd that people can be jailed for smoking or obtaining a plant, lol.

4.)Syria: I think this is the President's own little agenda...the majority of Americans (republicans/democrats) are opposed to going over and helping the rebels (essentially fighting for Al Quieda) and there is plenty of evidence that supports the fact that Bashar Al-Assad was set up. No way in hell, as evil as he is, would a dictator PUBLICLY use chemical weapons on his own people knowing full well what the international community would do to him/them. Even our allies don't buy the "official report"...I say stay out.

5.) Like 70% of hard working tax payers (American citizens) oppose Obamacare. I guess if you want your premiums to skyrocket and your doctors office to be turned into your local DMV...then sure. I'm for free market competition and that's what makes healthcare affordable. Whenever the Government takes a hold of something it turns to shit. Competition and the free market is what makes cell phones and computers reasonably priced...if the Government had full control over the I-Phone...trust me...only the elite would have them.

6.) War on terror: I'm for defending our nation and other nations from "terrorists". However, this topic is so convoluted and hard to define that it's hard for me to give a definitive answer. I think most of the stories we hear about "terrorists" or the "war on terror" is fabricated and just an excuse for governments to invade.

Just my two cents ;)

RunwayMafia

I'll throw my 2 cents in this convo tonight.

RunwayMafia is my BFF but we always get into political fights on Facebook. I promise to keep it civil.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
LMAO this is true...but most of my "political" posts on FaceBook are drunken troll posts...I rarely actually mean them. Dan always calls me a Republican but truth be told I'm a centrist...I agree with points on both the conservative and liberal sides.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
LMAO this is true...but most of my "political" posts on FaceBook are drunken troll posts...I rarely actually mean them. Dan always calls me a Republican but truth be told I'm a centrist...I agree with points on both the conservative and liberal sides.
LIES!! You evil right wing psycho lol :p jk I love you !! BETCH!!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Zoidberg747

1.) Abortion: I'm pro choice...although I do believe "it" is alive at inception. Also, with the exception of rape or what have you, I think there should be a legal limit or something. I read a statistic about how it's common for everyday women to have like 3 a year or something...

2.) Gun Control: Absolutely against it. Government statistics prove that there is less crime when more law abiding citizens are carrying. I believe in background checks and all that...but no way in hell can you strip the law abiding citizens of their second amendment right. Chicago is a fine example of why gun control is a complete and utter failure. They have some of the strictest gun control laws and it's like GTA over there.

3.) Weed: Absolutely in favor of it's legalization. I don't smoke it...but the research and statistics add up to me. Rarely are crimes committed while on it...no one has ever OD'd while using it...and quite frankly our economy would be booming if it could be taxed and regulated. Also, I work in HealthCare, and so many of the patients I help just want their pain to go away...I'm all for it. I think it's absurd that people can be jailed for smoking or obtaining a plant, lol.

4.)Syria: I think this is the President's own little agenda...the majority of Americans (republicans/democrats) are opposed to going over and helping the rebels (essentially fighting for Al Quieda) and there is plenty of evidence that supports the fact that Bashar Al-Assad was set up. No way in hell, as evil as he is, would a dictator PUBLICLY use chemical weapons on his own people knowing full well what the international community would do to him/them. Even our allies don't buy the "official report"...I say stay out.

5.) Like 70% of hard working tax payers (American citizens) oppose Obamacare. I guess if you want your premiums to skyrocket and your doctors office to be turned into your local DMV...then sure. I'm for free market competition and that's what makes healthcare affordable. Whenever the Government takes a hold of something it turns to shit. Competition and the free market is what makes cell phones and computers reasonably priced...if the Government had full control over the I-Phone...trust me...only the elite would have them.

6.) War on terror: I'm for defending our nation and other nations from "terrorists". However, this topic is so convoluted and hard to define that it's hard for me to give a definitive answer. I think most of the stories we hear about "terrorists" or the "war on terror" is fabricated and just an excuse for governments to invade.

Just my two cents ;)
Great points

1. Agree completely. I am against abortions morally BUT I do not believe the government has the right to tell women what they can and can't do to their bodies. I would be okay with a yearly quota for an individual woman but even then that could be abused.

2. Again agree completely. My only issue with guns right now is that crazy people can get them. If you can strengthen background checks to include psychological examinations that will solve these problems. I agree taking away guns from everyone does nothing.

3. Pretty much summed up my thoughts on it.

4. I dont know if it is his own agenda, or if he just got caught up in the moment. Obama tends to think emotionally before rationally, which is why he wanted to go to war. I agree that we should stay out, but I am also hoping that Syria does give up their chemical weapons, because I do believe they have or will use them against their own people(It does seem kind of silly to make it a big issue now when it has been happening for so many years though).

5. This is where you and I disagree. I think we definitely need to change the current healthcare system, because as it is now 50 million americans cannot afford healthcare and are not getting the aid they need. The problem with the healthcare system now is they will only cover you for a fair premium if you are perfectly healthy, which makes people born with a disease screwed from the beginning. If Obamacare doesnt pass the only real people who will benefit are the insurance companies that are currently cheating the american people blind. I dont think most people with good healthcare now will be that greatly affected by the law, but those without it or can't afford it will finally be able to get the care they need.

6. I agree for the most part. One of my least favorite things about Obama is his drone attack policy, as so many innocents have died just to get one "terrorist". Other than that I think it is a viable concern.

Im also going to add gay marriage to the issues. Hoping it doesnt backfire but I think it should be talked about.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I disagree with this. The conspiracy theories surrounding this whole thing are starting to bother me. Obama has not been planning to go in and help the rebels, the purpose of our intervention was a response to the chemical weapons attack. In a sense, to deliver a statement that these weapons are not to be used or they will face retaliation. The evidence was shaky at first, but now it's pretty clear that Assad was directly or indirectly responsible (this article sums up the situation pretty well http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23927399 ). Obama doesn't want to create another Iraq situation, and he's been showing support for the non-interventionist resolution for Syria to get rid of their chemical weapons. All the talk that Obama wants to go in and bomb Syria for some political reason isn't backed up by what's actually been happening.

Redk9

Noob
I found it funny that people were saying Obama doesn't know they have weapons so we shouldn't go in, and now that its clear Assad had Chemical Weapons people are still trying to poke holes in his decision.
This morning I stubbed my toe...THANKS OBAMA

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I agree on the gun control thing a little bit... I'm pretty liberal but not when it comes to gun control. However, it is a very difficult issue. I think the best solution is to make much more stringent requirements to be able to own a gun and set tight limitations on things like ammunition. I've thought before about how well it could work to only have rubber bullets, but I don't know enough about guns to make a big case for that. Because of the amount of guns out there right now though, I'm not sure if there's really a great way to reduce gun crimes.

Like, on one hand, a law-abiding citizen in a bad neighborhood might legitimately need a gun for protection, and if they were illegal only the criminals would have them. On the other hand, the Sandy Hook shooter probably wouldn't have access to a gun if they were illegal. Let's be serious here, an anti-social skinny white kid who lives with his mom isn't going to have the black market connections to do that.

RunwayMafia

I disagree with this. The conspiracy theories surrounding this whole thing are starting to bother me. Obama has not been planning to go in and help the rebels, the purpose of our intervention was a response to the chemical weapons attack. In a sense, to deliver a statement that these weapons are not to be used or they will face retaliation. The evidence was shaky at first, but now it's pretty clear that Assad was directly or indirectly responsible (this article sums up the situation pretty well http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23927399 ). Obama doesn't want to create another Iraq situation, and he's been showing support for the non-interventionist resolution for Syria to get rid of their chemical weapons. All the talk that Obama wants to go in and bomb Syria for some political reason isn't backed up by what's actually been happening.
Yeah...I don't know. I'm not saying the big bad president is behind this, lol, it's just odd how he has severely backpedaled in his rhetoric towards what he wants done. Also, history has shown us that governments are constantly setting up other governments, this is nothing new.

I just don't buy it. I don't believe everything is a conspiracy but I'm definitely not an ostrich with it's head in the ground (not insinuating you are or anything) and this whole Syrian debacle is...well, odd. It's been going on for so long now...why act now? Why draw the "red line" now? I tend to believe citizens of said nation when they say most of the news and "facts" regarding this situation are widely fabricated. Why do we have to get involved? Why not let the middle east democracies deal with this (Israel)...or the UN. Why send our sons and daughters over to fight their civil war when so many people, nationally and internationally, are firmly against it?

(Keep in mind there is absolutely no tone in my post, just legit, conscious driven questions) ;)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yeah...I don't know. I'm not saying the big bad president is behind this, lol, it's just odd how he has severely backpedaled in his rhetoric towards what he wants done. Also, history has shown us that governments are constantly setting up other governments, this is nothing new.

I just don't buy it. I don't believe everything is a conspiracy but I'm definitely not an ostrich with it's head in the ground (not insinuating you are or anything) and this whole Syrian debacle is...well, odd. It's been going on for so long now...why act now? Why draw the "red line" now? I tend to believe citizens of said nation when they say most of the news and "facts" regarding this situation are widely fabricated. Why do we have to get involved? Why not let the middle east democracies deal with this (Israel)...or the UN. Why send our sons and daughters over to fight their civil war when so many people, nationally and internationally, are firmly against it?

(Keep in mind there is absolutely no tone in my post, just legit, conscious driven questions) ;)
Because we're not really interested in involving ourselves in the actual civil war. Our objective is only to deal with the chemical weapons. Obama's actually done a good job with holding off so long on a decision and bringing it to congress (like he's supposed to) rather than going the Bush route. Right now it looks like things are going in a good direction, for us at least, with the international work to give up these weapons.

I actually think our threats at an intervention weren't much more than threats. Assad doesn't want to deal with us

Zoidberg747

The main reason was the chemical weapons. I think Obama wanted to make sure other nations know that the U.S will not tolerate chemical weapons being used against ones own people. I believe he saw this as the only option to stop this type of behavior, and when Russia proposed a weapons exchange he was all for it.

To me it was just an overreaction to a terrible act. Now that they have agreed to hand over the weapons I think the issue wont be around for much longer.