What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade (Old) Sonya Blade Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really surprised how little love this thread is getting. After watching her Variation walkthrough, I liked all 3 variations in their own way. No one agrees with me, but my favorite is Demolition. I can already imagine combos being extended by the instant stun grenade, and then dropping more grenades when they are on the floor. The true power of the grenades comes from the fact that you can detonate them at any time during the animation. Its gonna take a while but Sonya is going to be scary again.

I like how they make her one of the more advanced characters. She had the most fleshed out stance in MK9. And now her aresenal is really big, for all variations.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
At first I was like... "bleh, sonya" but then after they showed her variations... idk what everyone is down on her for. I thought they looked pretty sweet!! She's in the list of characters in the running for my main right now. Granted, it's a long list haha

I think the drone could be a good variation and work kind of like batman's bats in injustice... use that short quick blast while you're pressuring or to keep something unsafe, safe (depending on how canceling into the drone works... I can't remember from the stream)

Btw, did anyone mention how her new whiffing/block animation for leg grab is now a front handspring? it looks so much more fluid than just waiting there.

wow look like no many people will be joining me in the demolition project
I will be working on figuring out the best way to maintain drone pressure in her Covert Op's style. Nice thing is, Batman and Nightwing were my mains in Injustice, so I think I will feel right at home here.

I have a feeling that once you learn all of Sonya's strings and her general gameplan as a character, it will hopefully be easier to transition into other stances with different tools. I plan to learn all (3) stances in the long run. It will be interesting to see what everyone finds out.

Shady

Noob
I will be working on figuring out the best way to maintain drone pressure in her Covert Op's style.
This. The moment they revealed her variations, this is what I thought to myself right away. Drone traps and set ups with the ability to park the drone on or off screen? Seems unlimited with possibility to me.

I honestly thought I was going to dive head first into Cassie and not worry about others, but Sonya's variation breakdown has me giddy.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
My favourite is also Demolition. I could see her having amazing oki and swaggy combos with those stun & frag grenades. I wish EX Leg Grab popped up though.

She's in the list of characters in the running for my main right now. Granted, it's a long list haha

I think the drone could be a good variation and work kind of like batman's bats in injustice... use that short quick blast while you're pressuring or to keep something unsafe, safe (depending on how canceling into the drone works... I can't remember from the stream)
Haha, same here. I'll probably end up maining one of the Special Forces girls, or Tremor if he seems cool.

I also thought the same with the drone. It's like Batman & Sinestro had a slightly less potent demon love child.

i am sure the drone will be a very good variation. it maybe be her best variation in the futures but right now there is something about demolition that makes me want to try it first. however i wont know for sure until we play the game. her normal maybe useful for one variation and not for the other. her normals will be the wild card for her variations.

RiverHB

Noob
I will be working on figuring out the best way to maintain drone pressure in her Covert Op's style. .
I thought Covert OPs was the Parry/Military Stance variation? Isn't Special Forces the Drone variation? Just want to be clear.

If I go back to using Sonya, I will likely stick with Covert Ops for the MS options or the Drone. Something about micromanaging the grenades turns me off to Demolition

Espio

Kokomo
I thought Covert OPs was the Parry/Military Stance variation? Isn't Special Forces the Drone variation? Just want to be clear.

If I go back to using Sonya, I will likely stick with Covert Ops for the MS options or the Drone. Something about micromanaging the grenades turns me off to Demolition
Yes, Covert ops is parries and military stance.

Special Forces grants her a variety of options with her drones from the slow blasts, kamikaze etc.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
She's on my list, garrotes are too cool for me to not try her out. If I do play her, Covert Ops all day those other two variations don't interest me at all.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Ending combos with grenade toss will be boss. I can imagine that the normal grenade will have good advantage on block because of the time it takes for it to explode once it's active, so ending in a knockdown and cancelling into grenade could be a great way to blow up wakeups.

Looks like that is the case yeah. I think both of these stances (one with MS option and Drone) are the ones I am most interested in as well.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Sonya's Alternate:

Sonya: You're just like your father
Cassie: I'll take that as a compliment
Sonya: Just proved my point

Also her X-Ray pops up for a full-combo.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Sonya's gameplay = being overlooked and underestimated as always .... her variations combined with her regular moveset plus military stance it's just a mix combination to just kick ass in MKX !! :D

So does anyone else see covert ops variation having stancels (stance cancels)? In the demonstration you could see they canceled it using some sort of button and not dashing. Your thoughts?

cashthesehands

monster masher
So does anyone else see covert ops variation having stancels (stance cancels)? In the demonstration you could see they canceled it using some sort of button and not dashing. Your thoughts?
Id expect it to be the same as last game, where you could dash out or block to cancel. It is a bit weird that she only has cartwheel from military stance though

Sindelia

Nether Witch
Got in the lab for a bit today and was impressed by her. Armor on ex leg grab, both are pretty safe on block as she does a front flip either they block it or she whiffs it full/mid screen. Her dive kick is very different to her mk9 version you can now do it as you get in, not instantly like before. Ring looks the same, you can cancel its ex between strings for a juggle. Covert ops is so badass esp. its ex version. ms not as good as before her cartwheel off of it is very good. Will try her more later tonight (hate that I have to work now)

cashthesehands

monster masher
Got in the lab for a bit today and was impressed by her. Armor on ex leg grab, both are pretty safe on block as she does a front flip either they block it or she whiffs it full/mid screen. Her dive kick is very different to her mk9 version you can now do it as you get in, not instantly like before. Ring looks the same, you can cancel its ex between strings for a juggle. Covert ops is so badass esp. its ex version. ms not as good as before her cartwheel off of it is very good. Will try her more later tonight (hate that I have to work now)
Any chance you could grab us a screen shot of military stance commands? really curious as to what she can do from there.

Also better recovery on leg grab sounds great. Also can you clarify what ya meant for the instant air dive? what do you mean you can do it as you get in?

Status
Not open for further replies.