What's new

Official Statement from Verizon regarding EGL Debacle

How does someone organize and promote a tournament and don't have the "money" contractually secured? This is asinine. The hate is deserved without an ounce of sympathy.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
For those interested, Shane did go on the Daily Dot to clear things up. Basically he said that he thought Verizon was going to pay for the pot bonuses but did not get anything in writing. Obviously that was a bone head move and I find it hard to believe myself.

@I GOT HANDS It was 50$ per game.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

Hope this doesn't give the Texas scene a bad name. This sickens me, as a Texas resident.
Why would one persons boneheaded move give an entire state a bad name? Its not like people write off all California tournaments because of the few bad ones they had.

VGP and AB guys are definitely legit and anyone who went to AB will vouch for that. Dallas also has the SUNB guys which are getting better at running their tournaments. Not to mention the other scenes are still going strong.

It sucks losing Epic for the DFW players but we are lucky enough to have another place to hold weeklies and such. Texas and DFW will be fine.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
According to TOs 5th-8th was paid out and 1/4th of 1st-4th was paid as a deposit. They are currently shutting down the arcade and selling all their stuff so hopefully that money will go towards the rest of the payout.

Note: Before anyone asks I was just a volunteer at EGL. I have no knowledge of the business aspects. Info above was taken from TOs facebook page.
If they r doing that props but shutting down twitter and their webpage brings concern. They could of tweeted that imo but if they do that maybe other TOs that own money *cough* VXG can learn.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
If that's the case he needs to come out and say it
Exactly shutting down your website and twitter imo is fucking stupid and makes me imo thing this is bs. But thats just my opinion smfh and i know many agree. Anyone got the TOs? Saying anything? Twitter or not in regards to the statement /quote above pigs?

Zoidberg747

Exactly shutting down your website and twitter imo is fucking stupid and makes me imo thing this is bs. But thats just my opinion smfh and i know many agree. Anyone got the TOs? Saying anything? Twitter or not in regards to the statement /quote above pigs?
This is the dailydot explaining what the TO said in their conversations. Starts at 16:00.:
http://www.twitch.tv/dailydot/v/19454825

TL:DR:
  • He thought Verizon meant they were providing pot bonuses because they were main sponsor, they thought they were only providing venue and connectivity
  • Verizon did say they may be able to help with payouts, but that was never a formal agreement and they ended up not being able to help.
  • The gear sold is not going to payouts, its going to business loans and lease on arcade. EGL has filed for bankruptcy.
  • Placers will not be payed anymore than they have already received.
  • COD teams are thinking of possibly suing.
  • DailyDot and Texas TOs are asking people to act responsibly and discontinue death threats or "witch hunts" against EGL
I think I covered the main points but I would watch the video too.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
This is the dailydot explaining what the TO said in their conversations. Starts at 16:00.:

• He thought Verizon meant they were providing pot bonuses because they were main sponsor, they thought they were only providing venue and connectivity
  • Verizon did say they may be able to help with payouts, but that was never a formal agreement and they ended up not being able to help.
  • The gear sold is not going to payouts, its going to business loans and lease on arcade. EGL has filed for bankruptcy.
  • DailyDot and Texas TOs are asking people to act responsibly and discontinue death threats or "witch hunts" against EGL
thanks for the link. I am watching it now. Mad dead air at the start but watching it now. (it just started)

EDIT INCOMING:)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

@YOMI SLAYER @cR WoundCowboy

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
SMDH. Had a lot of fun there as well. Suck that this happened. But thanks for the shoutout to VGP, PXG, SUNB, and SM. We all work hard to keep you guys happy. I highly suggest you all come to AKON for our tornaments, as well as VGP's tornaments and events. Were in talks now of increasing the payouts and we have a venue three times the size of AB. VGP comes and helps us out with general stuff and it runs smoothly. Our team (mainly me) dont play that bullcrap. Keep it smooth and everyone happy. If we fucks up we fix it immediately.

Also give itup for Zoidberg for being a better PR representive then those that run the tornament. Dude was just a guy who came to help the scene. Props man. You have my respect.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains

thanks for the link, and Damn that's fucking jacked, Wonder how many people payed hella money traveling to that tournament?

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Thanks for playing
basically it right, there should be some way to stick these people for their treachery!

noone should hold a tourny or even have the capability of hosting one if they are incompetent enough to not have it all set up to pay the winners.