What's new

NRS Cancels Last Chance Qualifier Event, Removes Live Audience From Final Kombat Just Day Before the Event

Gamer68

Fujin!
I was really bummed to hear that it was canceled, but I sure as fuck wasn't upset about it. This is what NEEDED to happen. It could have been announced earlier, sure, but as it's been suggested in the thread already: perhaps it was a last minute decision or the decision just so happened to not be reached until today? We'll never know and even if we did know, it wouldn't change anything.

I've seen some folks all 'round the Net with their pitchforks and torches all ready to go storm the gates of NRS over this. Like, why? Why is you watching a game on a laptop/computer/mobile device more important than another person's well-being? I'd really like to ask someone that question and see what their answer is 'cause it's probably gonna be a doozy.

Peoples' health could have potentially been jeopardized and it certainly isn't worth it happening because of a video game.

This just proves more and more that humans as a species can be really damn dumb.
Yeah, it was 100% the right decision. The only problem is that they should have announced this sooner.

Weird seeing some people try to spin this as a bad thing, like have you not been looking at the news? Even a company as big as Nintendo of America is allowing employees to work at home because of the virus. And of course as already mentioned in the thread, events like Comic Con are in talks about being cancelled -- along with many other conventions, concerts, events, etc.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
Dude every ones point is that this is the "right" decision at the WRONG TIME!!!!
Yea cancel the event but why not days ago for f*&Cks sake. Its not like all of a sudden this has come about. This shit has been going on for weeks and its not like some huge outbreak occurred in Chicago. These dicks sat on their hands for days longer than they should have and as others have commented there are some people that have spent a lot of money and made arrangements all for nothing.
You're making a big assumption there my guy. Sounds like you know the inside and out of the whole process and why this was communicated like this.

Can't we give them the benefit of doubt just because people say MK is bad?

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I was really bummed to hear that it was canceled, but I sure as fuck wasn't upset about it. This is what NEEDED to happen. It could have been announced earlier, sure, but as it's been suggested in the thread already: perhaps it was a last minute decision or the decision just so happened to not be reached until today? We'll never know and even if we did know, it wouldn't change anything.

I've seen some folks all 'round the Net with their pitchforks and torches all ready to go storm the gates of NRS over this. Like, why? Why is you watching a game on a laptop/computer/mobile device more important than another person's well-being? I'd really like to ask someone that question and see what their answer is 'cause it's probably gonna be a doozy.

Peoples' health could have potentially been jeopardized and it certainly isn't worth it happening because of a video game.

This just proves more and more that humans as a species can be really damn dumb.
This would only make sense if the entire city of Chicago was under qaurentine. There was a bulls game tonight and an expo tomorrow the state isnt in emergency. Also virtue signaling is in poor taste everyone cares about others people are mad about the timing it's stupid as fuck and there is no real way around that. IF they wanted people safe they WOULD have told them they were at least deliberating. Everyone who was going to be there is there mostly already, so if anything you either brought people who had it to Chicago or you potentially infect someone once they arrive to send them back which apparently was what they wanted to avoid.
NRS rightly deserves criticism here, you cant want to create your own "professional" circuit while acting like a bunch of amateurs money isnt everything and neither is the game itself really it's about the time invested and the sacrifice that people made to go all NRS has to do was respect that and tell them "yo we might cancel" no same human would mad. It's kinda sad man.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
You're making a big assumption there my guy. Sounds like you know the inside and out of the whole process and why this was communicated like this.

Can't we give them the benefit of doubt just because people say MK is bad?
What doubt is that exactly? Somehow in your world view it's okay for an event that very well may not be in your country to be cancelled mid flight when you got the latest fight available?
You'll argue with people over the internet yet somehow you want us to believe this???

E

Eldriken

This would only make sense if the entire city of Chicago was under qaurentine. There was a bulls game tonight and an expo tomorrow the state isnt in emergency. Also virtue signaling is in poor taste everyone cares about others people are mad about the timing it's stupid as fuck and there is no real way around that. IF they wanted people safe they WOULD have told them they were at least deliberating. Everyone who was going to be there is there mostly already, so if anything you either brought people who had it to Chicago or you potentially infect someone once they arrive to send them back which apparently was what they wanted to avoid.
NRS rightly deserves criticism here, you cant want to create your own "professional" circuit while acting like a bunch of amateurs money isnt everything and neither is the game itself really it's about the time invested and the sacrifice that people made to go all NRS has to do was respect that and tell them "yo we might cancel" no same human would mad. It's kinda sad man.
I didn't say or imply they should be omitted from any form of criticism. Their timing is absurd. A lot of shit just got thrown to the wayside with this event being cancelled. It's gonna leave a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths for quite some time, I'd imagine. But when people start acting like this event is more important than even the competitors' health, you've got yourself a problem and NRS isn't it.

NRS has their own shit to deal with in regards to this. But some folks are seriously overreacting and it blows my mind that they literally do no register their remarks as anything but civilized.

E

Eldriken

What doubt is that exactly? Somehow in your world view it's okay for an event that very well may not be in your country to be cancelled mid flight when you got the latest fight available?
You'll argue with people over the internet yet somehow you want us to believe this???
It sucks what happened to those involved with the LCQ event, but bottom line, peoples' health is more important. Their time and money (some of it) is gone and that blows, but it sure does beat going to LCQ and then posting on Twitter "I contracted Coronavirus" a few days later. Is that what you want to see?

People have got to learn to handle disappointment better because in the grand scheme of things, this pales in comparison to what could happen that would give them something real to complain about.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I didn't say or imply they should be omitted from any form of criticism. Their timing is absurd. A lot of shit just got thrown to the wayside with this event being cancelled. It's gonna leave a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths for quite some time, I'd imagine. But when people start acting like this event is more important than even the competitors' health, you've got yourself a problem and NRS isn't it.

NRS has their own shit to deal with in regards to this. But some folks are seriously overreacting and it blows my mind that they literally do no register their remarks as anything but civilized.
Then be angry with us, no one cares what NRS has to deal with. This was a self inflicted injury they had options.

AND EVEN IF WB PULLED THE RUG LAST SECOND I FULLY EXPECT SOME LEAKS TO COME OUT ABOUT IT.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
It sucks what happened to those involved with the LCQ event, but bottom line, peoples' health is more important. Their time and money (some of it) is gone and that blows, but it sure does beat going to LCQ and then posting on Twitter "I contracted Coronavirus" a few days later. Is that what you want to see?

People have got to learn to handle disappointment better because in the grand scheme of things, this pales in comparison to what could happen that would give them something real to complain about.
Bruh the point is that is still a possibility lol there still on planes flying to Chicago in airports and train stations. Nothing NRS did today changed anything like at all lol

E

Eldriken

Bruh the point is that is still a possibility lol there still on planes flying to Chicago in airports and train stations. Nothing NRS did today changed anything like at all lol
No, the point is that you have zero idea what happened within NRS/WB in regards to all of this. Unless you can quantify these claims to them having options, I would have to suggest you stop making baseless claims because you're talking out of your ass.

Their timing is fucking horrible. I get it. But Jesus, y'all need to wake up.

If I had to speculate, they're likely not rescheduling it as a means to play it safe.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
No, the point is that you have zero idea what happened within NRS/WB in regards to all of this. Unless you can quantify these claims to them having options, I would have to suggest you stop making baseless claims because you're talking out of your ass.

Their timing is fucking horrible. I get it. But Jesus, y'all need to wake up.
So what your saying is even though they were not ordered directly to cancel an event by local governmental agencies ( which they were not) an event which they not only planned but hosted was some how out of their control to move on more quickly for the safety of the competition? You serious?
What you think it was the venue that forced WB to cancel? Seriously interested at how you think there absolved of culpability here.

E

Eldriken

So what your saying is even though they were not ordered directly to cancel an event by local governmental agencies ( which they were not) an event which they not only planned but hosted was some how out of their control to move on more quickly for the safety of the competition? You serious?
What you think it was the venue that forced WB to cancel? Seriously interested at how you think there absolved of culpability here.
Show me where I said anything at all that is relevant to a single word you just responded with.

NRS doesn't have to be told to do this, you know. They can do it of their own volition to cover their ass so it doesn't turn into a complete clusterfuck if the virus had somehow made its way to the venue. They'd probably rather deal with a pissed off mob due to cancelling on such short notice instead of being the cause of an outbreak or aids in the spreading of the virus.

How are you not thinking this yourself and instead have to be told this? This should be a natural train of thought, not the nonsense you responded with that literally had nothing to do with anything I've posted in this entire thread.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Then again it doesnt matter what you think you didnt go. You say the human element is irelavant because NRS is looking out for them. Obviously if nrs they cared they would have done this a week ago and debating that is the pinnacle of foolishness

E

Eldriken

Then again it doesnt matter what you think you didnt go. You say the human element is irelavant because NRS is looking out for them. Obviously if nrs they cared they would have done this a week ago and debating that is the pinnacle of foolishness
I'm not debating their timing. I've made mention about how piss poor it is in almost every post I've made. You can stop with this any time now. You're dead set in your ways thinking that NRS is the damn devil because they made a good call but had shit timing.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Show me where I said anything at all that is relevant to a single word you just responded with.

NRS doesn't have to be told to do this, you know. They can do it of their own volition to cover their ass so it doesn't turn into a complete clusterfuck if the virus had somehow made its way to the venue. They'd probably rather deal with a pissed off mob due to cancelling on such short notice instead of being the cause of an outbreak or aids in the spreading of the virus.

How are you not thinking this yourself and instead have to be told this? This should be a natural train of thought, not the nonsense you responded with that literally had nothing to do with anything I've posted in this entire thread.
Yeah your not making much sense my guy, you cant state that nrs cared by bringing them just close enough to venue but not hold the event then praise them as if they have the foresight of the elder gods.

I'll state plainly.
Netherealm already brought them to Chicago. Cancelling the event this close to its start is not only un professional it is also unsafe. They generate massive confusion and angst for what? There isnt a logical decision buisness or otherwise to get this result. It is pure MISMANAGEMENT AND ARROGANCE period. Again if they ran into venue issues or daddy W shut it down that should be known if not super bad look.

E

Eldriken

Yeah your not making much sense my guy, you cant state that nrs cared by bringing them just close enough to venue but not hold the event then praise them as if they have the foresight of the elder gods.

I'll state plainly.
Netherealm already brought them to Chicago. Cancelling the event this close to its start is not only un professional it is also unsafe. They generate massive confusion and angst for what? There isnt a logical decision buisness or otherwise to get this result. It is pure MISMANAGEMENT AND ARROGANCE period. Again if they ran into venue issues or daddy W shut it down that should be known if not super bad look.
How is it more unsafe than what's currently going on in the world?

Where did I specifically say that NRS cares or even alluded to it? Where did I say anything about anyone caring at all? Where did I even praise them?

You are putting words/statements into my mouth that I didn't even make, dude. The writing is all presented nicely before you. Feel free to look back on it and show me specifics since you're so adamant about proving me wrong over things I didn't even say.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
How is it more unsafe than what's currently going on in the world?
Why is it unsafe to bring hundreds of people to a city they dont live in during a global pandemic to frustrate them In airports and hotels just to send them back.
You really asking this question? Or am I reading to much into it?

E

Eldriken

Why is it unsafe to bring hundreds of people to a city they dont live in during a global pandemic to frustrate them In airports and hotels just to send them back.
You really asking this question? Or am I reading to much into it?
I don't think you're reading at all.

Read the question again and seriously put some thought into the context of it and what it could mean. I should NOT have to be spelling this out for what I'm gonna assume is a fellow adult since your profile says you're 29. This should be a natural way of thinking by now.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
I don't think you're reading at all.

Read the question again and seriously put some thought into the context of it and what it could mean. I should NOT have to be spelling this out for what I'm gonna assume is a fellow adult since your profile says you're 29. This should be a natural way of thinking by now.
You do understand how sars-covid 2 works right at least the common scientific understanding of it?

NRS pro players have my respect, they proved they're willing to travel in the middle of an epidemic and risk getting infected for the love of a game.

What sucks it's not just LCQ being canceled though, it's the time people wasted and that they might not get another chance this year. They could have made LCQ an online event had NRS thought ahead about this, anyways I guess companies make mistakes and there is nothing we can do about it.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Don't be short sighted... WB/NRS will refund the booked hotels and flights as well.

This was deffo not an easy decision to take and knowing WB, they would prob wanted to cancel the finals on sunday as well. There must have been a lot of back and forth to enable NRS to at least get the finals.

We don't know the details, but it's easier to manage a smaller group of people rather than LCQ.

So they did well with this decision, wether you understand it or not. It hurts them as well but imagine the event going on, against health organizations instructions mind you, people got infected. It would be way worse dealing with all the backlash from being responsible to spread a virus, rather than taking measures to avoid such a thing.

COVID-19 ain't a joke guys, don't be ignorant, there's a lot of misinformation and over hyping of the situation by the media, that is correct, however it's not some flu.

I was looking forward for the LCQ, but I'm glad they did the decision now, taking some flak, but in the end it's the smart call to do.
they are refunding flights and accommodation as well. .. maybe read the NRS feed before acting all righteous.

NRS should have made this decision a week ago, but they made the correct choice. They are refunding tickets, travel and accommodation, which is going to hit them financially and that includes return travel.

They are doing everything they can to make this right, and spectators and players looses nothing but time and maybe a day or two of work... but guess what shit happens, life happens.

I can not see how this is a big issue to act all pissy about. Does it suck? Sure, is it, but the actual impact on people is so minimal. I mean what more can they do?

Oh really? I should read? Did you two lovebirds somehow skipped the part where I said "Refunds mean shit"?

In Greece, a passenger on an airplane was carrying the virus and infected 21 passengers on the plane he was on.

So all the people who flew to Chicago in order to participate in Final Kombat? THEY RISKED EXPOSURE ALREADY FOR NOTHING. But yeah, even if they did get infected, they will get a refund, so no harm is done.

Can't you see the stupidity in this?

WB's timing is ludicrous - not the decision itself. It's like someone deciding to call firefighters and tell them his house is on fire AFTER WATCHING THE F*&KING FLAMES ENGULF HIS ENTIRE BUILDING FOR FOUR HOURS AND HIM JUST STANDING OUTSIDE, DOING NOTHING ABOUT IT.

That's what pissing people, not whether or not they will get a refund!