What's new

Nitara MK1 Trailer (Voiced by Megan Fox)

I posted this in the other thread, but I’m almost positive she says “Koor Pung Lao” here instead of “Poor Kung Lao”. So I uploaded this video

Also, I’ll be uploading MK1 content so if anyone would like to Subscribe, it’d be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
that’s like one of those “you hear what you want to hear things”! Like whichever one you’re thinking, that’s what you hear.
Like this.. do you hear “Oh Barbie those were vintage” or “oh fuck, those we’re vintage”??

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I always love how people use Tremor as an example, when he's a completely different case entirely. He's a) not 3D era, b) was in the worst Mortal Kombat game of all time, but was never a bad character himself, c) is a character from a game that's a completely different genre.

Generally he was underdeveloped while the 3D era characters were not.

Your overall post is indeed showing your age. Not saying that to crap on you, mind you. Simply that you and lot of other younger players have a vastly different perspective than arcade era players.
I wasn't speaking for arcade era players, but the people who hopped on at MK9, which is a shit ton of MK fans today. And that partially the reason that classic characters are so beloved is not only because they were in superior games, but more specifically that they were in MK9. The first time a huge chunk of modern MK fans saw them in a game was when they first played MK9. I guarantee you at least half of Scorpion fans today think of MK9 before they think of MK1, it's just as much the NRS era games that are responsible for the popularity of these characters TODAY as the old games. At least that's how I perceive it, I of course have no way of measuring this. I do of course agree that younger players have a different perspective, so thats what I'm offering - perspective. We are 12 years out from MK9 and the teenagers who played it are now adults, the kids who saw their older siblings play it are now teenagers, that game is pulling a lot of weight with new fans.

I think Tremor is very much an appropriate example though for this reason, I categorize these characters more by
  • has been given a good treatment in an NRS game
  • has not been given good treatment in an NRS game
I frankly don't see how Tremor being in one shit game over Kenshi being in a mediocre game matters to the masses of people that are buying these games and making them popular. Only super dorks like us on here make these tiers by era, most people would like any character from any era if they're presented well.

Saying this as a huge Sub-Zero fan, I don't think that there's anything that makes the blue colored ninja with blue colored ice powers necessarily more engaging than generic vampire lady, both are pretty basic at their skeleton. It's just that Sub has consistently been presented well, in large part to how the 3 modern games have presented him when it comes to why he has so many fans. It's not a coincidence why Kenshi is so popular, he was in MK9 and MKX, all the new people to the franchise became accustomed to him. It's the normies that make these games possible.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
that’s like one of those “you hear what you want to hear things”! Like whichever one you’re thinking, that’s what you hear.
Like this.. do you hear “Oh Barbie those were vintage” or “oh fuck, those we’re vintage”??

Idk, I heard it the first time I saw it and wasn’t thinking of her saying “Koor” at all. But it caught me off guard and I’ve relistened to it a bunch and hear “Koor” every time. Not, as far as the “Pung” part, I do agree that sometimes I hear “Pung” and other times I do hear “Kung”.

And I know what you’re talking about I’ve heard of those before. Like the Green Needle/Brainstorm one. That one is super trippy because literally whichever one you’re thinking of is the one you hear. But this Barbie one, all I hear is “Oh Barbie” even when I try to think of “oh fuck”, lol. That said, as far as the Green Needle/Brainstorm one, I used to be able to hear both based on which one I was reading or thinking about. Now I can only hear “Green Needle” no matter how much I try. So maybe my brain or hearing is just fucked up lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
No. During the Arcade era, we had movies, novels, comics, shows, toys, a live traveling martial arts show, etc. The franchise was huge, the characters (most of them) extremely popular, and Mortal Kombat was everywhere.

The 3D era is the worst performing period of the franchise's history. It lacked cross media representation in almost every regard, lost fans in droves, and nearly buried the franchise. As bad as some of the movies and as luke warm as the reception to Mortal Kombat 4 was, it still did all better than the 3D era.

The only people who truly care about the 3D era are a) die hards who just needed more, b) people who are younger and grew up with the 3D era.

What properly saved the franchise is Mortal Kombat (2011). It brought it back from the disaster the 3D era made.
This is not really true, though — 3D-era games like Deadly Alliance, Deception and MK vs. DC actually sold really well, in some cases better than the games that came before them:

They also reviewed similarly to all the other games:

So really, this is a niche opinion mostly held among the most hardcore. When it comes to the general public, the franchise was doing absolutely fine.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
No. During the Arcade era, we had movies, novels, comics, shows, toys, a live traveling martial arts show, etc. The franchise was huge, the characters (most of them) extremely popular, and Mortal Kombat was everywhere.

The 3D era is the worst performing period of the franchise's history. It lacked cross media representation in almost every regard, lost fans in droves, and nearly buried the franchise. As bad as some of the movies and as luke warm as the reception to Mortal Kombat 4 was, it still did all better than the 3D era.

The only people who truly care about the 3D era are a) die hards who just needed more, b) people who are younger and grew up with the 3D era.

What properly saved the franchise is Mortal Kombat (2011). It brought it back from the disaster the 3D era made.
I'm worried slightly that the 3D era representation in this game will cause it to under sell. I'm not convinced anyone other than diehards care about Havik, Li Mei and Ashrah. At least we have guest characters to draw new fans into the game.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Noob
I'm worried slightly that the 3D era representation in this game will cause it to under sell. I'm not convinced anyone other than diehards care about Havik, Li Mei and Ashrah. At least we have guest characters to draw new fans into.the game.
Casuals don't care which era the characters are from. The 3D era characters are only really contentious with the hardcore fan base and we only have four 3D era characters in here anyway.

I'm worried slightly that the 3D era representation in this game will cause it to under sell. I'm not convinced anyone other than diehards care about Havik, Li Mei and Ashrah. At least we have guest characters to draw new fans into the game.
That I'm not worried about. The franchise is extremely popular right now (and has been for over a decade again) and it'll sell like hotcakes, even with those characters.

If the game is poor, or has lots of issues, that'll potentially turn people off of the next game.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But I can understand how some people see him differently since he's been with us in the modern era.
This is the point I've been trying to make, it's not that all these 3D characters don't have potential, Kenshi was just given good treatment by NRS to people love him. If it were Havik instead of Kenshi being in MK9 and X, I bet he'd be similarly popular.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Casuals don't care which era the characters are from. The 3D era characters are only really contentious with the hardcore fan base and we only have four 3D era characters in here anyway.
yeah

for casuals, all of these 3D characters, just sound as "new characters" for them, and this, just bring enough attention and curiosity factor for them, to buy and try , kinda, "hey, did you saw that bat vampire girl on the new MK game ? Cool as fuck!" , hehe

and for the old school gamers, that are more open minded, that are not fanboys, and are not radical purists ones, and had a urge to play again these characters one more time, this is a new chance to play them, in a modern game, with modern gameplay and mechanics, so

its a win-win scenario situation ;)

I personally, hated all the 3D MK era, so, I stopped playing MK games after MK4, and returned only when MK9 was announced; but now, is a great chance to play these characters , because they all came back renewed, overhauled , updated, with modern graphics in a modern MK game, so, I am truly and really loving all of them, and cannot wait to try them all in the full game ...... they way NRS is bringing them back is pretty good, so, chances are that they will get much more popular and gain new fans due this smart move that NRS did, hehe :cool:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Isn’t there 7?

1. Kenshi
  2. Tanya
  3. Ashrah
  4. Havik
  5. Nitara
  6. Reiko
  7. Li Mei
I intentionally left Tanya out, since tanya is from MK4, and MK4 is sitting in that weird place, where it's basically a 2d arcacde-era fighting game, but with 3d graphics, and occasional sidestepping.

It seems like most people have the 3D era starting with Deadly Alliance in 2002 and that's cool with me.

And Reiko hasn't been revealed as part of the main roster, so I'll leave that one to the mystery-seekers until it happens :coffee: But if he had, similar situation to Tanya.

This is the point I've been trying to make, it's not that all these 3D characters don't have potential, Kenshi was just given good treatment by NRS to people love him. If it were Havik instead of Kenshi being in MK9 and X, I bet he'd be similarly popular.
He was widely regarded as a cool character during the 3D era itself, and the only good new character. While I understand your overall point, and it certainly applies to younger gamers, the original trilogy characters were vastly more popular before and after Mortal Kombat (2011). What that game did was bring the franchise out of the dumpster again.

Isn’t there 7?
No. Tanya and Reiko are arcade era.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I intentionally left Tanya out, since tanya is from MK4, and MK4 is sitting in that weird place, where it's basically a 2d arcacde-era fighting game, but with 3d graphics, and occasional 3d movement.

It seems like most people have the 3d era starting with Deadly Alliance in 2002 and that's cool with me.

And Reiko hasn't been revealed as part of the main roster, so I'll leave that one to the mystery-seekers until it happens :coffee: But if he had, similar situation to Tanya.
yeah yeah Poor Reiko, relegated to poor jobber post and never had a chance to shine on MK1, lol ! :D

Also he came first on MK4, so, technically, not an original 3D era

so yeah, for 3D era representation, only 5 characters so far .... but the best one from that era, that's for sure ! :)

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Kenshi was immediately very cool. A blind swordsman with a cool outfit is always going to beat a goofy Skeletor character. We like Havik a lot, but he's been pushed too hard by fandom throughout the years as a huge force in the game, potentially a main threat, when in fact he's a bit silly and his treatment (and hairstyle) in MK1 looks set to kill off whatever momentum he enjoyed in the fanbase.

This is not really true, though — 3D-era games like Deadly Alliance, Deception and MK vs. DC actually sold really well, in some cases better than the games that came before them:

They also reviewed similarly to all the other games:

So really, this is a niche opinion mostly held among the most hardcore. When it comes to the general public, the franchise was doing absolutely fine.
Just looked these over, and the data appears incomplete. Correct me if I've missed it, but the reviews seem only to take into account the console port sales and do not reflect the revenue generated by the arcade versions of the original games, the main versions of them. It also doesn't take into account the popularity of the franchise, the profits from films, comics, toys, etc.

Thus, this presents a skewed view.

As someone who was an adult during the 3D era, and who first hand remembers the talk and lack of hype around those games on forums, publications, media, etc., the reality of the time was very different than what these stats are showing.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
They are from MK4 which is a 3D MK game. So there are at least 7 3D MK characters in MK1, playable ones at least. There’s more if you count Kameos. And I bet there’ll be some in future DLC’s.

They are from MK4 which is a 3D MK game. So there are at least 7 3D MK characters in MK1, playable ones at least. There’s more if you count Kameos. And I bet there’ll be some in future DLC’s.
Mortal Kombat 4 is the first game to use a 3D graphics engine, but it's gameplay is very much like the other arcade era games. It is an arcade era game. This is as per Boon himself.

The 3D era begins with Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.

Yes, there's more 3D era characters in Kameos, and I wouldn't be surprised if more were added as DLC.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Kenshi was immediately very cool. A blind swordsman with a cool outfit is always going to beat a goofy Skeletor character. We like Havik a lot, but he's been pushed too hard by fandom throughout the years as a huge force in the game, potentially a main threat, when in fact he's a bit silly and his treatment (and hairstyle) in MK1 looks set to kill off whatever momentum he enjoyed in the fanbase.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer Kenshi to Havik by a country mile, I just mean Havik may have been decent if he were given an update in 2011. New Havik doesn't look like near as much of an edgelord.

Honestly the biggest problem with the 3D characters conceptually to me is how edgy and tryhard they seem compared to the classic characters. I like edgy shit though.

Ed Boon himself said MK4 was an arcade era game. MK4 is literally a game you can rotate a 3D stage with your 3D models. Kai, Shinnok, Reiko, Jarek, Tanya, Fujin, Quan Chi and Meat are still 3D era characters.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Mortal Kombat 4 is the first game to use a 3D graphics engine, but it's gameplay is very much like the other arcade era games. It is an arcade era game. This is as per Boon himself.

The 3D era begins with Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.

Yes, there's more 3D era characters in Kameos, and I wouldn't be surprised if more were added as DLC.
s
You can place MK4 in both the arcade era and the 3D MK era, as it can fit in both. Some consider it a 3D MK game and/or apart of the 3D MK era, and some don’t. There’s no real objectively right answer in this regard. I think there was even a debate about it within the past few months in one of these threads.

Anyway, I guess we can say there’s 7 playable 3D MK characters in MK1, and 5-7 playable 3D MK era characters, lol.

And speaking of which, I wonder if we’re going to see a Reiko reveal before launch. I was really expecting to see him and Nitara in the same gameplay reveal video along with possibly Shang. But it makes sense they wanted Nitara to have her own one since it’s essentially played by Megan Fox. They don’t have much time left!

There’s no real objectively right answer in this regard. I think there was even a debate about it within the past few months in one of these threads.
There was indeed a past debate about it, but there actually is an objectively right answer. Mortal Kombat 4 is not a 3D era game. It is a 3D game in the sense that it uses a 3D engine, but not a part of the 3D era of Mortal Kombat. Boon himself groups it in with the arcade era.

All of the NetherRealm Studios Mortal Kombat games are 3D games, using 3D graphics engines, but are not 3D era.

Cicada 5

Noob
He was widely regarded as a cool character during the 3D era itself, and the only good new character. While I understand your overall point, and it certainly applies to younger gamers, the original trilogy characters were vastly more popular before and after Mortal Kombat (2011). What that game did was bring the franchise out of the dumpster again.

Li Mei, Frost, Ashrah, Havik and Nitara were also popular during the 3D era. It wasn't just Kenshi.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
That's the thing, though. WE see these characters as "3D era reps." People who came in with MK9 or those the general masses who will play MK1 just because "Oh hey yeah, Mortal Kombat" will see these characters as effectively entirely new characters. I don't see their inclusion being any sort of loss for NRS.

And honestly, considering how much of graphical, aesthetic, and gameplay design updates have been made to them, we can honestly consider them "new" in a way too.