What's new

New UMK3 Tier List? (update for 2012)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Lex's behavior in this thread is highly reminiscent of 2003-2005 when he didn't want the game to continue on THEN! LMAO the more than things change...the more they stay the same. BTW all, I had to rise above the hate to get this scene going vs all kinds of BS.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
this reo kid sent me a pm telling me to be real - are you serious

i googled a vid of you just now, first searched item, hsmoke vs. nightwolf, :10 seconds in you failed to backbuffer a shoulder vs. a very obvious and readable teleport. in a tournament. bad

Remz

https//:wavenet.remz.ca
I have expressed my opinions earlier in this thread and I disagree with some of you on many things but I really like to challenge my opinions. Due to my bad English, I might sound wrong sometime, so just to clarify things, I want to show my respect to you :

Shock - You are the reason why I play high level UMK3 now. I will even travel from Canada to play in a tournament soon and I hope to meet you someday.

Lex - I'm not a kid :) and I disagree with you on the jabs thing but I have HUGE respect because you are the one who made me realize that UMK3 is a mind game. Metagame is what it's all about! That's why I still love this game today.

Back on topic:

The main reason why I think that female ninjas are all very good and Sheeva should be much higher for example, is because of my way of thinking about what is "perfect play".

I think that the best combo or BnB is not always the most damaging one. For example missing a part of a combo on purpose to get a 50/50 throw situation is better than completing it if the result is less than half the throw damage. People see "perfect play" as if it was playing without mistakes, but this is completely impossible even with robots or cpu because "perfect" play is not about avoiding risk but MANAGING it. To be the best player in the world, you have to get in the mind of the opponent to evaluate the risk / reward ratio of every thing you do based on tactics and game physics. All variables are constantly fluctuating.

Here is my opinion:

Overrated :
  • Combo damage
  • Almost every last hit of a combo!
  • Special moves
  • Jumping
  • Top tier domination
Underrated :
  • Breaking combos before the last hit!
  • 50/50 throws
  • Normals (LP, HK, sweep and uppercut)
  • Corner Jab infinite setups
  • Female Ninjas
  • Sheeva
  • Low tier inferiority
1 more thing : I never really told this to anyone, but I think that Human Smoke is not a legit character because you have to enter a CHEAT code to enable him! That's why Scorpion is in the game. Too bad that Kabal is so good because if he weren't on UMK3, I'm sure that some people would think this way about H. Smoke. :p

I would love to read your opinion on this!

For example missing a part of a combo on purpose to get a 50/50 throw situation is better than completing it if the result is less than half the throw damage
Yeah, when I play i ussually go for the damage, but dropping the last hit will at least get run jab chip damage which is good.

I got a good 50/50 set up with H. Smoke that works a lot of the time. Not gonna share it though haha.

I agree not finishing combos especially on rush down is a tactic that should be pressed more. Tactically, it's much smarter to not finish a combo and try to hit somebody with a random mix up afterwards than it is to finish the combo and create the distance between the two of you for them to kind of regroup and counter/go on the offensive.

I find people get hit with sweeps pretty often after an unfinished combo, as well as throws. People wait for you to do a combo to create the distance so they can turn the tables. A lot of the time they will think your combo whiffed when you do an unfinished one and will try to go in for a counter, giving you a good opportunity to punish them. You just have to know the right combos to do this with, as some will actually whiff when unfinished and leave you open.

Good examples are scorpions 4 hit kick combo, and jade/kitana's 4 hit kick combo. Its fun to mess around with them trying different mix ups to throw your opponent off.

I agree not finishing combos especially on rush down is a tactic that should be pressed more. Tactically, it's much smarter to not finish a combo and try to hit somebody with a random mix up afterwards than it is to finish the combo and create the distance between the two of you for them to kind of regroup and counter/go on the offensive.

I find people get hit with sweeps pretty often after an unfinished combo, as well as throws. People wait for you to do a combo to create the distance so they can turn the tables. A lot of the time they will think your combo whiffed when you do an unfinished one and will try to go in for a counter, giving you a good opportunity to punish them. You just have to know the right combos to do this with, as some will actually whiff when unfinished and leave you open.

Good examples are scorpions 4 hit kick combo, and jade/kitana's 4 hit kick combo. Its fun to mess around with them trying different mix ups to throw your opponent off.
I think this is a pretty common tactic. I know I get my ass kicked by it everytime I play a good player.

Remz

Nice to know that I'm not alone thinking that way. IMO the tier list is not correct if it overrates regular combo damage.

REO

Undead
this reo kid sent me a pm telling me to be real - are you serious

i googled a vid of you just now, first searched item, hsmoke vs. nightwolf, :10 seconds in you failed to backbuffer a shoulder vs. a very obvious and readable teleport. in a tournament. bad
You will have to excuse me, my Nightwolf is not very good in UMK3. Anyway, I would like to apologize for that PM I sent you. You're a very good player and possibly the best when it comes to this game. I hope we can bury our differences and move on for the better of things.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's a decent tactic that not many people use. However, an unfinished combo is usually punishable with simply a HK. Haven't really been able to test it much though.

It's a decent tactic that not many people use. However, an unfinished combo is usually punishable with simply a HK. Haven't really been able to test it much though.
What's funny about this is that bad players use this tactic without even knowing or meaning to. Well it's a shitty form of the tactic anyway. What they do is starting jumping around like crazy and they mash kick everytime they land only doing 2 or 3 hits of the combo, and then back to jumping they go. I'm not very good, so this bullshit really aggravates me.

Remz

I don't agree, if I break a combo and follow with a jab, I'll have priority over the HK. Against a good teleporter, I might finish more combos because they can teleport safely to avoid chip damage and pressure.

I don't agree, if I break a combo and follow with a jab, I'll have priority over the HK. Against a good teleporter, I might finish more combos because they can teleport safely to avoid chip damage and pressure.
What do you mean by "break a combo"?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
1 more thing : I never really told this to anyone, but I think that Human Smoke is not a legit character because you have to enter a CHEAT code to enable him! That's why Scorpion is in the game. Too bad that Kabal is so good because if he weren't on UMK3, I'm sure that some people would think this way about H. Smoke. :p

I would love to read your opinion on this!
I somewhat agree with this. I've always said if they give UMK3 another revision they might aswell just remove H.Smoke and give his popups to Scorpion. Having faster walkspeed than everyone else is stupid too, at least make it a command or something lol

Jephtile

Noob
73% punisher, 68% BnBs, 48% off a HK,LP-launcher, Teleport makes him virtually impossible to rushdown or corner, excellent jabs, best RH in the game - RH links into (up to) a 68% aaCombo, 100%+ in the corner from numerous set-ups.....the list goes on, man. I agree that Ermac should be #3 without question

His only real downfall is against characters like Sheeva and Shang that are difficult to juggle due to their abnormal fall-arch

If my Jade isn't enough to convince you, NoDoubt 's Jade will be plenty.
"Abnormal fall-arch" makes me chuckle for some reason. Maybe it's a math thing.
Btw, I picked up MK:AK and have been trying to learn UMK3. Wanna play sometime? I will scrub the shit outta you :D

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
"Abnormal fall-arch" makes me chuckle for some reason. Maybe it's a math thing.
Btw, I picked up MK:AK and have been trying to learn UMK3. Wanna play sometime? I will scrub the shit outta you :D
Hey Jeph!! I'd love to play UMK3 and sharpen-up but apparrently I don't seem to have a copy that works, unless someone wants to "hook me up" w/ MKAK for PSN. I lost my only copy when i got YLOD :( I offer training and guidance to anyone who wants to hook me up :p

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
You will have to excuse me, my Nightwolf is not very good in UMK3. Anyway, I would like to apologize for that PM I sent you. You're a very good player and possibly the best when it comes to this game. I hope we can bury our differences and move on for the better of things.
its not a nightwolf thing
the first thing that should be going through your mind (when vs. a teleport char) is backbuffer something
the guy even did a teleport dance!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I remember someone making a demo video a long time ago showing why it's stupid to leave off the last hit of a combo, and put in a HK punish vs Sub-zero leaving off the last hit. I then made a video showing that a counter HK in that situation is in fact blockable, and the blocked HK is legit punishable by freeze.

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/subkano1.wmv

I don't know if every single possible instance is like this, but since most of the frame data in UMK3 is the same in combos, it probably is. I do know for example, that Nightwolf cannot leave a combo unfinished, or even really do blocked combos at all vs Kabal because he can be punished by the spin in every single case, even in the middle of combos and not just the last hit. Personally, I leave off the last only in very select circumstances, and it's just a tactic for creating a 50/50 for no real reason. Fast moves like the spin or Mileena's roll, R Smoke spear, are the best at punishing these scenarios.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I remember someone making a demo video a long time ago showing why it's stupid to leave off the last hit of a combo, and put in a HK punish vs Sub-zero leaving off the last hit. I then made a video showing that a counter HK in that situation is in fact blockable, and the blocked HK is legit punishable by freeze.

http://ultimatemk.com/tempmatt/subkano1.wmv

I don't know if every single possible instance is like this, but since most of the frame data in UMK3 is the same in combos, it probably is. I do know for example, that Nightwolf cannot leave a combo unfinished, or even really do blocked combos at all vs Kabal because he can be punished by the spin in every single case, even in the middle of combos and not just the last hit. Personally, I leave off the last only in very select circumstances, and it's just a tactic for creating a 50/50 for no real reason. Fast moves like the spin or Mileena's roll, R Smoke spear, are the best at punishing these scenarios.
I guess the real question is, why is Kabal so broken? lol

Well the unfinished combo thing is something i only use in certain combos i have found it safe to do so with. I do it with sonya's 5 hit all the time, just leave off the last hit that pops them in the air, and i never get punished for it. As well as scorpions 4hit kick and kitanas/jades.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well the unfinished combo thing is something i only use in certain combos i have found it safe to do so with. I do it with sonya's 5 hit all the time, just leave off the last hit that pops them in the air, and i never get punished for it. As well as scorpions 4hit kick and kitanas/jades.
Well with Sonya you don't need to do that. Because she ends her combos with a leg grab, and you rush in before they get up anyway, so you're basically in the same position just you've done more damage. The only time not finishing would be to your advantage is based on spacing and positioning.