What's new

New UMK3 Tier List? (update for 2012)

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
I chose Noob because I felt like it. And what I said is you aren't beating someone who knows how to do block jabs if you can't do them yourself. Play against Kabal with not one single block jab and then come back and tell me how it goes.
I know how it goes. I just wanted to know if that was true or not (that you wanted the game to look bad)

Simon's right. Hope most of the UMK3 crew shows up at NEC and have a blast. When is it going to happen, btw?

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
The debate is going slightly out of track... UMK3 is a fantastic game no matter who wins and who loses....who does block jabs and who doesn't...I say, lets have some good time at NEC and play UMk3 again....
Dam right cya all at NEC on umk :) & 2 if you guys register.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for the memories. Point Proven. Juggernaut is the top umk player of all time.
I don't even know who you are, I assume Bass or Sans. I know you're trolling, but I'd like to state that I'm not the best UMK3 player (as if I had to even state it, lol).

Anyway, this topic has gotten off track. I like that there is some activity in this forum, but I think some people are taking it too personal. Let's all just chill out and focus on the real issues at hand. Like how free Lex is and why REO can only win with Kabal. JK, seriously though, this thread was about tier lists right?

NinjaGrinder

why is Cyrax considered the worst robot? surely it takes more work with him to win, but he has a lot of more tools than Sektor.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
why is Cyrax considered the worst robot? surely it takes more work with him to win, but he has a lot of more tools than Sektor.
Sektor's homing missile is really good. It alone, imo, is what makes him better than Cyrax. I do feel, however, that they're pretty close on the tier list. There's some nice set-ups and shenanigans with Cyrax, but all of them are so slow it leaves him open a lot of the time.

NinjaGrinder

You cannot just drop a homming missile and expect the opponent to stay put. The same with Cyrax, you just can't drop a bomb like that. I usually drop them after a throw/jk/rj/rh so you can see how they react. Sometimes (depending on the opponent's style) getting yourself cornered and drop bombs works. Semi air throw (just the small jump) is great for staying right in their face. Sometimes you can bait a sweep or something and drop a net. From there, his auto combo starting with kick, makes a great deal of damage. Not to mention his great, great normal throw (I know, throws aren't common in hi level play). Sektor's normal missile is fast and he has some fairly good punishers. I don't think his teleport is that useful, not that fast to use it on reaction vs some projectiles and again for the homming missile, its randomness is what makes it sort of a poor tool IMO. Maybe if it could hit everytime...

I just can't see why Sektor >> Cyrax

Mgo

Noob
Talking about Cyrax, and whereas Kung Lao and Reptile are top 5 because at his maximum usage are beast, then he should not be more than #20 considering that at his maximum usage is a beast too? I think the reason by making these characters are little used is that you need more lucidity to use them properly, compared with the rest of the chars, and in a tourney them can be a little risky for that reason.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You cannot just drop a homming missile and expect the opponent to stay put.
No one expects that. In fact, they're more than likely going to do something because they're pressured into doing so. If they sit there and do nothing and just block, you get free rush down pressure as well as chip damage. So the opponent sees this and will try to avoid the pressure and maybe even the missile. Some players time it well and get an auto-combo in that makes the missile whiff. Or they'll sweep at the right time, or do a c.lk. The thing is you're forcing them to do these things. If they get in a habit of sweeping the missile, that's a free teleuppercut. The homing missile is a great tool and I'm surprised I don't see it abused more often. However some people do abuse it wrongly, as in they just spam it and get punished. But it can launch safely in some situations, such as after knockdowns.

NinjaGrinder

Same as the bombs like I said. And people really need to do something when you drop a bomb on them. The benefits are the same, no? depending on the reaction you can just throw another bomb, or make them eat the first bomb, or just punish their escape attempt.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
No one expects that. In fact, they're more than likely going to do something because they're pressured into doing so. If they sit there and do nothing and just block, you get free rush down pressure as well as chip damage. So the opponent sees this and will try to avoid the pressure and maybe even the missile. Some players time it well and get an auto-combo in that makes the missile whiff. Or they'll sweep at the right time, or do a c.lk. The thing is you're forcing them to do these things. If they get in a habit of sweeping the missile, that's a free teleuppercut. The homing missile is a great tool and I'm surprised I don't see it abused more often. However some people do abuse it wrongly, as in they just spam it and get punished. But it can launch safely in some situations, such as after knockdowns.
Yea, true...idk if I'd say he's under-rated cuz he's probably right about where he belongs, but Sektor at the highest level is a pain in da ass to deal with. His pressure game w/ Missile mix-ups and TU punishing everything can be very formidable when some people use him.....there just aren't many people who find this 3-trick pony very fun to play. We THINK Cyrax is better because of what he has and much more people enjoy the challenge of learning him, but overall Cyrax at highest level doesn't really beat Sektor at highest level, and the majority of their bad MU's are generally the same.

...and TBH, I'm a Sektor-nut in MK9 (&MKA), but I really can't stand UMK3-Sektor in any way ftmp lol Cyrax = Kellogg's , Sektor = the leading generic brand

Let's all just chill out and focus on the real issues at hand. Like how free Lex is and why REO can only win with Kabal. JK, seriously though, this thread was about tier lists right?
I LOL'd so hard at this. You's a DICKHEAD hahaha
Man umk3 has so much cheap stuff in it that Stryker who has a cross screen infinet combo AND A CORNER INFINITE is just mid tier.
Fixed :)
I thought you picked noob to "prove a point" on kara jabs? or at least that's what everyone was saying back then, even saying they had spoken with you about it. So, is that why you picked him? to "mock" the game and make it look bad, to show that you don't need specials in it?
I chose Noob because I felt like it. And what I said is you aren't beating someone who knows how to do block jabs if you can't do them yourself. Play against Kabal with not one single block jab and then come back and tell me how it goes.
This is 100% true. I can verify this cuz he said it TO ME in person at WB6. No internet whisper-down-the-lane, I was there for it. That's about exactly what he said his reason for doing it was.

I don't even understand why the UMK3 Juggernauts hack is used for offline tournaments.

Besides being able to select human smoke as your second character in 2 on 2 mode, we mainly switched to the hacked version on Kaillera to make all characters selectable as soon as the game starts (Mileena, Ermac, Sub-Zero) since it doesn't save online.
Just cuz it's the best version we can find that still allows pad/stick/kb players to all play competitively on the same medium w/ boss-like options and lay-outs. STILL, nothing has been found to be better than Mame aside a cabinet.....but only stick players can play on cabinet.

play it without relying on bullshit jabs, relaunchers, and easy infinites.
I always respected you as an OG and trusted your word on UMK3, but that statement made me say "WTF....." I mean I have my own views, but that was just the last thing I expecteed to hear from The Great Lex, Reptile/Kung Lao Pioneer

The debate is going slightly out of track... UMK3 is a fantastic game no matter who wins and who loses....who does block jabs and who doesn't...I say, lets have some good time at NEC and play UMk3 again....
I think that might be the best idea I heard yet.....
....but you're still a low-level scrub. tee-hee

So where's Jade at currently?
lol we're working on it. Shes' one of the characters we are discussing. Haven't you been here the whole time? ;)

I know how it goes. I just wanted to know if that was true or not (that you wanted the game to look bad)

Simon's right. Hope most of the UMK3 crew shows up at NEC and have a blast. When is it going to happen, btw?
I don't see "NinjaGrinder" anywhere on the list....why you waiting so long to sign up? :p

MKK hanzo

Thanks Shock for your response (although kinda late). Back when that thread was opened, I was expecting you to say something. It's nice to see you understand. And I can't be happier to read that "I want to bring UMK3 back hardcore and I think NEC will light some fires under people who miss it."

Juggs you have some valid points. But, if you say that in a high level match, no top level player would jump for no reason at Kung Lao, what makes you think a top kung lao player would do an unsafe dive kick? no top player would take this risk:

"If it gets blocked that's 30-40% life gone for what? Attempting to apply pressure or get a ~5% dive kick damage?"

I don't think he's top 3, but I don't see him either beyond top 5
Glitch Jabs destroy Lao even more, you just run against him Gjabbing and he cant throw any crazy dive kicks anymore, the same for the Spin, and it isnt the all good AA ppl say.

He only REALISTICALLY in very high level gets high damage out of scouting a Ninja tltpt, some 1 AA hp and a naked spin, all of this are easily avoidable. Its easier to land a Reptile 100% or BIG damaging combo than a Lao big damage one.

To the online players: Go and try Lao against Marvin, REO, Arion or other good players out there. Tell me how much wins you will get.

Even with his buffs/nerfs in MKT (moving Spin but with 2 hit limit) he sucks compared to the top 10.

And ded: Dont bring back Marcelo, he is godlike and has execution like you, but his opponents arent even mid high level. the day he faces someone of the caliber of these ppl, we can say: he is good.

And dont bash MKT n64, shitty game require more skill and brain than UMK3. Try to win gjabbin on a place there. ;)

Lex I love you bro. :REO (ded too)

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Glitch Jabs destroy Lao even more, you just run against him Gjabbing and he cant throw any crazy dive kicks anymore, the same for the Spin, and it isnt the all good AA ppl say.

He only REALISTICALLY in very high level gets high damage out of scouting a Ninja tltpt, some 1 AA hp and a naked spin, all of this are easily avoidable. Its easier to land a Reptile 100% or BIG damaging combo than a Lao big damage one.

To the online players: Go and try Lao against Marvin, REO, Arion or other good players out there. Tell me how much wins you will get.

Even with his buffs/nerfs in MKT (moving Spin but with 2 hit limit) he sucks compared to the top 10.

And ded: Dont bring back Marcelo, he is godlike and has execution like you, but his opponents arent even mid high level. the day he faces someone of the caliber of these ppl, we can say: he is good.

And dont bash MKT n64, shitty game require more skill and brain than UMK3. Try to win gjabbin on a place there. ;)Lex I love you bro. :REO (ded too)
This makes sense to me, maybe we should just listen to Hanzo on this one lol

nwo

Noob
Man I wish I could ask Marvirrasta where he thinks Lao should be placed, but I'm not even sure he speaks english. Maybe someone could translate one day. From what I've seen in some YouTube videos, he has a mean Lao, and would be a great person to ask.

My personal opinion from using Kung Lao on and offline, since he's such a fast and precise character, delay and lag GREATLY affect his ability, especially with the mid screen infinities.

EDIT: Here's a video of KanoMK2 vs Marv in some casuals, skip to 3:45, its beautiful to watch.