What's new

New UMK3 Tier List? (update for 2012)

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
He's always been a keyboard player.

Surprised they haven't bought hitboxes yet.

ded why didn't you find a converter and play it on keyboard??? :p
Everytime I ever played Shock he always used his MK stick...i don't think I ever seen him play on keyboard, tbh

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Her shadow kick is crazy quick and hard to punish. Her boomerang is very useful as well.
I don't think it's hard to punish. At least with kabal, "harpooners", "sliders", nightwolf, sonya, jax, kano...

the boomerang is useful if you like to keep away from her

just my 2 cents

w1nter warz has been a keyboard player since the beginning of time for MK9. You guys should hit him up on how to get it to work with MK9.

I only play Kabal in UMK3.
then why did you use noob saibot on a "recent" tournament? I think the finals were you vs anal cunt

Wasn't there a thread from an year ago (maybe less), how you guys wanted to ban karajabs from UMK3 because you thought it was broken?
Juggs I don't think ded is talking about your thread, but the one 995 did, with that horrible, horrible title "the sad state of UMK3"

That was just bad advertisement to the game and a lot of well known players came to that thread to practically bash the shit out of UMK3. Just for a tournament that REO won with noob saibot bla bla bla... it was horrible and it opened my eyes with some people I used to respect here.

REO

Undead
then why did you use noob saibot on a "recent" tournament? I think the finals were you vs anal cunt
It's because none of us in the US play UMK3 like we used to. I use whoever I feel like in UMK3 side tournaments because my main focus is on MK9. If the players in my scene were to go back to playing UMK3 hardcore, I would play no character other than Kabal.

Pikachu

I Pikachu while you shower.
What about about characters like Scropion, Cyrax, H.Smoke R. Smoke , Kabal and Sindel, They can all hit you with one move and run you into the corner and RJ you to death. All you can do is hold block and hope they fuck up their jabs.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You switched after Summerjam?
I've been playing fighting games on the KB since 1995 when I got MKII for PC. I prefer playing just about all fightings on KB except grapplers in SF, where I need the stick to deal out 360 after 360. When you see me on stick at tournaments, I'm doing it to be nice for several reasons.

NinjaGrinder - that sad state of UMK3 thread was like, a dagger in my heart. The worst thing about 2D MK is the corner jab block string infinite which exists in II, 3, U3 and MKT. In MK1 it actually pushes you back on 6 consecutively blocked jabs seemingly no matter what even if you pause between them. This IMO should never have been taken out of II and 3, although it would also then break up runjabs mid screen because 6 in that case causes stumble on the attacked opponent, creating more distance. That's the only thing about the game that I can completely understand turning new players off simply because it exists (ie any block string infinites in any games are completely indefensible). Kara jabbing though? It's an art form. The only reason REO won was due to Noob Saibot's health, not kara jabs, that's the only thing about him that is hard to overcome or justify even though he has no specials. I would also argue that Simon was playing extremely poorly by his high standards. You can see the grand finals on the KN stream, but the rest of the tournaments seems to have been deleted.

REO - I want to bring UMK3 back hardcore and I think NEC will light some fires under people who miss it.

Edit: Also in MK1, you can cancel the 6 jab push back in MK1 with a special move and any 6 consecutive blocked attacks cause push back, not just jabs.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
Sir not looking to be disrespectful and I'm sure in your day u were an authority but please take a step back and realize that you are several generations of tech behind. Please compare what the game looks like played by even mid to high level players and you can clearly see while your skills were a force to be reckoned with now days your average players would for a lack of better terms "Do U Dirty". While everyone should have input the old timers who really are very far behind the curve should provide input on an as-is basis and not based on the current level of play.
except this has happened to me many times in the past [kids coming out of the woodwork]. the same thing happenes every time....

Lex

So yeah, still waiting for accurate reasons as to why Kung Lao is specifically top three. All I've gotten so far are defensive responses like "ull never know cuz u didnt play me bro" or "i guess im not that good since u have the nerve to question kl's placement".
read posts. highest mobility in the game with top damage potential. apply that concept to any kind of multiplayer game. its a high tier mechanic. tho you wouldnt know because you don't venture outside of fighters much.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
REO Shock Lex MKK hanzo AC1984 NinjaGrinder summoning HrZ ded

Kung Lao:

Pros:
- High Damage Potential
- Excellent Mobility

Cons:
- One of the easiest characters to relaunch
- Everything he does is punishable on block, reaction, or in general: (Naked Spin, Blocked Dive Kick, Teleport, Slow Projectile start-up and recovery)
- Has bad match-ups against the best characters (Human Smoke, Kabal, Ermac, Nightwolf), also has a bad match-up against uSub and possibly others.

The only risk he has that is worth the risk is the spin. And it's so punishable that no high level player will get hit by it unless they jump at the wrong time. The teleport is punishable on reaction. The dive kick is good but not worth it in high pressured situations. If it gets blocked that's 30-40% life gone for what? Attempting to apply pressure or get a ~5% dive kick damage?

In a tournament setting, where you can't afford to make mistakes, Kung Lao isn't a character that you'd look to use. He has bad match-ups against characters that most people in tournaments will be using. He's a highly risky character in a game that severely punishes mistakes with massive damage. And he relies on the opponent making mistakes or not knowing the match-up (gimmicks).

I still feel he's a top 10 character, around #6, just out of the top 5. I just don't see how he's better than the 5 I have before him. (Kabal, hSmoke, Ermac, NW, Kitana)

NinjaGrinder

Thanks Shock for your response (although kinda late). Back when that thread was opened, I was expecting you to say something. It's nice to see you understand. And I can't be happier to read that "I want to bring UMK3 back hardcore and I think NEC will light some fires under people who miss it."

Juggs you have some valid points. But, if you say that in a high level match, no top level player would jump for no reason at Kung Lao, what makes you think a top kung lao player would do an unsafe dive kick? no top player would take this risk:

"If it gets blocked that's 30-40% life gone for what? Attempting to apply pressure or get a ~5% dive kick damage?"

I don't think he's top 3, but I don't see him either beyond top 5

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Juggs you have some valid points. But, if you say that in a high level match, no top level player would jump for no reason at Kung Lao, what makes you think a top kung lao player would do an unsafe dive kick? no top player would take this risk:

"If it gets blocked that's 30-40% life gone for what? Attempting to apply pressure or get a ~5% dive kick damage?"

I don't think he's top 3, but I don't see him either beyond top 5
That's the way you to utilize his mobility. To be all over the place. If a Kung Lao isn't dive kicking near you, isn't teleporting, and isn't using his spin... then there's nothing to fear. Kung Lao has to be unsafe, you don't have to be unsafe against Kung Lao.

NinjaGrinder

No, an unsafe dive kick would be one that the opponent can block and, obviously, punish. At least that's what I understand when I think of unsafe dive kick. A dive kick that he doesn't block (because you didn't throw it in an obvious way, or while he's standing, or in a wrong angle, or just to gain some distance) it's a safe one.

NinjaGrinder

It's because none of us in the US play UMK3 like we used to. I use whoever I feel like in UMK3 side tournaments because my main focus is on MK9. If the players in my scene were to go back to playing UMK3 hardcore, I would play no character other than Kabal.
I thought you picked noob to "prove a point" on kara jabs? or at least that's what everyone was saying back then, even saying they had spoken with you about it. So, is that why you picked him? to "mock" the game and make it look bad, to show that you don't need specials in it?

nwo

Noob
I thought you picked noob to "prove a point" on kara jabs? or at least that's what everyone was saying back then, even saying they had spoken with you about it. So, is that why you picked him? to "mock" the game and make it look bad, to show that you don't need specials in it?
I don't even understand why the UMK3 Juggernauts hack is used for offline tournaments.

Besides being able to select human smoke as your second character in 2 on 2 mode, we mainly switched to the hacked version on Kaillera to make all characters selectable as soon as the game starts (Mileena, Ermac, Sub-Zero) since it doesn't save online.

except this has happened to me many times in the past [kids coming out of the woodwork]. the same thing happenes every time....
I wouldn't exactly say any of these kids are coming out of the woodwork. Players like NoDoubt REO Juggs Bass MarvinRasta Faith or the 100+ online players who play the game on a regular basis are out there playing and not hiding. Alex you haven't played a top player in years. I think you should show maybe a little bit of respect to the kids who play and are shaping the way the game is played today. If and when you come out of the woodwork I think a lot of the players would love to see how you fair against the new kids.

Lex

I wouldn't exactly say any of these kids are coming out of the woodwork. Players like NoDoubt REO Juggs Bass MarvinRasta Faith or the 100+ online players who play the game on a regular basis are out there playing and not hiding. Alex you haven't played a top player in years. I think you should show maybe a little bit of respect to the kids who play and are shaping the way the game is played today. If and when you come out of the woodwork I think a lot of the players would love to see how you fair against the new kids.
shaping? you mean like mutant setups with bad console versions/hacks/no sound. play it on a cabinet. play it without relying on bullshit jabs, relaunchers, and easy infinites. play it without needing a tier list. play it without trying to make it a tournament game when people "dont even focus on it", and turn around and talk smack about it. no i will not play the "new kids" because every time i do its the same story: "play me on my setup instead". no.

play against me because its fun

[You're ="Lex, post: 572183, member: 772"]shaping? you mean like mutant setups with bad console versions/hacks/no sound. play it on a cabinet. play it without relying on bullshit jabs, relaunchers, and easy infinites. play it without needing a tier list. play it without trying to make it a tournament game when people "dont even focus on it", and turn around and talk smack about it. no i will not play the "new kids" because every time i do its the same story: "play me on my setup instead". no.

play against me because its fun[/quote]
Youre going to have to decide. Play and enjoy and respect the new style umk3 have fun and learn and enjoy how the game is played, or don't play and entertain us all with some "In My Day" stories. Personally I think its time you took off the diaper and put your Big Boy pants on. I would love to see you playing for fun but please remember you have to weigh your legacy vs what more than likely will occur vs Juggernaut who is widely considered the top umk3 player in the USA.

Lex

look i was directed to chime in here. big boy pants? whats this, an ego test? ive weighed in before you even tried the game. how about you play my version and respect what ive done? ive never had to ask someone that btw. its all been the same shit you are posting. try harder, you are almost there.

look i was directed to chime in here. big boy pants? whats this, an ego test? ive weighed in before you even tried the game. how about you play my version and respect what ive done? ive never had to ask someone that btw. its all been the same shit you are posting. try harder, you are almost there.
Alex what version do you want to play? This was supposed to be for fun now you want specific revisions and accomidations and accoutrements. It time for you to put down the purse Alex . No more run around its time for you to play. Prove us all wrong that youve been washed up since the late 90s. Juggernaut is our representative and is ready to play.

[quote="Lex, post: 572233, member: 772" you 12? my dad can beat your dad? speak for yourself boy - done here fellas. see you next time the kids start ragin[/quote]
Thanks for the memories. Point Proven. Juggernaut is the top umk player of all time.

REO

Undead
read posts. highest mobility in the game with top damage potential. apply that concept to any kind of multiplayer game. its a high tier mechanic. tho you wouldnt know because you don't venture outside of fighters much.
It must really suck when you may potentially lose to someone who only plays one fighter. ;)

I chose Noob because I felt like it. And what I said is you aren't beating someone who knows how to do block jabs if you can't do them yourself. Play against Kabal with not one single block jab and then come back and tell me how it goes.

play it without relying on bullshit jabs, relaunchers, and easy infinites.
Casual player alert. I think you're chiming in on the wrong thread if your mindset is like that.